Pearl hints at the Tigers playing a ‘big game’ in Birmingham in 2024

al.com

Auburn’s Bruce Pearl hints at the Tigers playing a ‘big game’ in Birmingham in 2024

Updated: Jun. 26, 2024, 10:22 a.m.|Published: Jun. 26, 2024, 9:57 a.m.

3–4 minutes

ATLANTA, GA - DECEMBER 09 - Head Coach Bruce Pearl during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the Indiana Hoosiers at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, GA on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn TigersJamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

All offseason, Auburn men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl has maintained that the Tigers will be playing a tough non-conference schedule in 2024-25.

According to Pearl, who just finished his 10th season on The Plains, Auburn’s upcoming non-conference slate are the fruits of the Tigers’ labor in recent years.

“It’s where we’ve worked so hard to try to get to,” Pearl said during an Auburn Ambush stop in Hoover on Tuesday. “It’s like, look, be careful what you wish for now. So, right now, we’re able to be in touch with some of the best programs in college basketball, and they’re actually interested in playing us now. Now, if we go back to their town, their fans think it’s a big game.”

So far, there are just two confirmed non-conference games on Auburn’s 2024-25 schedule: a trip to Hawaii in November to compete in a stacked Maui Invitational, and a trip to Cameron Indoor, where the Tigers will take on the Duke Blue Devils as part of the ACC/SEC Challenge.

However, Pearl hinted on Tuesday that there’s another big non-conference addition is in the works — one that brings the Tigers back to Birmingham.

“I don’t think we’re in any position to make any kind of announcement about a game in Birmingham yet,” Pearl said Tuesday. “But I can tell you, we’ve got potential for a big game in Birmingham in December. We’re working on it. Contracts, I don’t think, are quite done. It’ll be a game and an opponent that we could actually sell the building out.”

Auburn hasn’t played a regular season game in Birmingham since 2019, when the Tigers beat Saint Louis in Legacy Arena.

“Since I got to Auburn, I’ve recognized that we have family all over the place. Family likes it when you come visit them in their town, right? Whether it’s Birmingham or Huntsville or Nashville or Mobile. It just means more when we bring Auburn to Birmingham,” Pearl said. “We’ve done that with playing at Legacy (Arena). We even played it when it was the BJCC or something like that. Playing here was important.”

Pearl continued to say his friends in Birmingham will often say it’s hard for them to get tickets to games at Neville Arena.

“I tell them, ‘I know it’s hard, but we have these standing room only (tickets), and we’ve got things. Come on down. Believe me, you can get in. We’ll try not to turn you away,’” Pearl said. “But that’s why it’s important that we actually play games here in Birmingham. They’ve got a big arena, and we can get some tickets.”

Birmingham’s Legacy Arena at the BJCC seats 18,000 and, by the sounds of it, could play host to an Auburn men’s basketball game in the near future.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m so excited I’ll try and get tickets for this one!

• Love 1

Do you have access to that article about Pearl giving updates about the summer workouts and possible rosters?

45 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Do you have access to that article about Pearl giving updates about the summer workouts and possible rosters?

no sir but i will look.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn’t know where to post this. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. Just saw that we play Purdue on December 21 at Legacy Arena in Birmingham and then a return trip in 2025 to Indianapolis. There’s another huge game Auburn should be announcing soon as well, with Houston.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

Greatest AU basketball schedule ever! History happening all around us. Hopefully, it will be good.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Has anybody heard of any mentioning yet of them playing in Atlanta again at the Holiday Hoopsgiving invitational?

Yes, I have heard and read about it. The rumors are it’s probably Ohio State, but could possibly be another big time Big 10 program.

When do basketball tickets go on sale? I’d like to try to go to that game in Birmingham. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

What about the matchup with Houston? Did that ever get worked out?

I believe that is still being negotiated. I’ve read that it should be finalized in the next couple of weeks!

• Like 1