Religious leader wants to display Indian scriptures in Louisiana public classrooms

wgno.com

Religious leader wants to display Indian scriptures in Louisiana public classrooms

Keymonte Avery
~2 minutes

BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — A spokesperson of the Hindu community is seeking to have ancient Sanskrit scriptures displayed in public classrooms alongside the Ten Commandments.

On Wednesday, Gov. Jeff Landry signed a law that requires each public classroom, starting from kindergarten to state-funded universities, in Louisiana to display the Ten Commandments.

The President of the Universal Society of Hinduism Rajan Zed said in a statement that the Bhagavad Gita, or the Gita, was a historically significant document and he believes is a treasure that should be displayed in public school classrooms.

The Gita is recognized as a poem in India and used as spiritual guidance, according to Britannica.

Zed states the Hindu community would cover the cost of the “11×14” posters and no funding from the state or school would be required.

The Hindu statesman noted that multiple prominent Americans were influenced by the Gita including philosopher Henry David Thoreau, physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, philosopher Aldous Huxley and physicist Albert Einstein.

Zed believes that increasing the awareness of other religions would make classrooms in Louisiana “well-nurtured, well-balanced, and enlightened citizens of tomorrow.”

HURRICANE-SEASON-800-%C3%97-150-px-800-%

Stay up to date with the latest news, weather and sports by downloading the WGNO app on the Apple or Google Play stores and by subscribing to the WGNO newsletter.

Latest Posts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buddhism has some wonderful aspects as well. I hope some of those principles can be added. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Buddhism has some wonderful aspects as well. I hope some of those principles can be added. 

my wish is one day we will all find love and people will quit expecting them to live under certain rules. religion is more about control than love except for those blessed few that try to do it right these days. to hold trump up in the same breath as jesus is disturbing to me. i know i have people on here hating me but i will never abandon my principles. it might surprise some i consider religion to be sacred and i will call out all who blemish it. some people do not care how it happens they want everyone to be saved and it does not work that way. i find it very depressing.

• Like 1

IMO stop putting stuff on the walls except phonics, math tables, and presidents.   Let parents handle the rest. We’ve already got plenty of dumb people, let’s stop manufacturing millions more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

IMO stop putting stuff on the walls except phonics, math tables, and presidents.   Let parents handle the rest. We’ve already got plenty of dumb people, let’s stop manufacturing millions more.

Truth but we haven’t prioritized those things in long time. My friend works for a food vendor. Their biggest profit margin customers: schools and prisons. What do we pay teachers? Poverty wages. High school districts spending millions on football stadiums and turf, while libraries are outdated and empty. Education  of our young is abysmal and we are paying for it. But at least now they will be reminded not to commit adultery or kill people. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Truth but we haven’t prioritized those things in long time. My friend works for a food vendor. Their biggest profit margin customers: schools and prisons. What do we pay teachers? Poverty wages. High school districts spending millions on football stadiums and turf, while libraries are outdated and empty. Education  of our young is abysmal and we are paying for it. But at least now they will be reminded not to commit adultery or kill people. 

i wish i could be less emotional than you but it is personal to me. no need to agree or they might throw shade at you as well.