The Presidential debate

40 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

No pressure on him today and he gets to read from a teleprompter.  Are we spinning what happened last night?

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Interest rates will drop, but the addiction to free money has created longterm problems.

Even if that's so, the bottom line is a middle class family trying to buy a rather modest home of the same value as the one they have would have to pay at least 35% more for it today than they would just two years ago.  And that's just one thing on the list of things in their life that cost significantly more than they did 2-3 years ago.  That's a "right now" problem.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Even if that's so, the bottom line is a middle class family trying to buy a rather modest home of the same value as the one they have would have to pay at least 35% more for it today than they would just two years ago.  And that's just one thing on the list of things in their life that cost significantly more than they did 2-3 years ago.  That's a "right now" problem.

It is. And we’ve been focused on right now as we’ve gotten buried under debt. We need a variety of solutions, including building the size of middle class homes that made home ownership more attainable in the 1950s.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

It is. And we’ve been focused on right now as we’ve gotten buried under debt. We need a variety of solutions, including building the size of middle class homes that made home ownership more attainable in the 1950s.

That $250k home I described above is a fairly typical 3 bed/2 bath home of around 2000 sq ft in central Alabama in a decent neighborhood.  It's not some mansion or something beyond the reasonable needs of a typical family of four.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That $250k home I described above is a fairly typical 3 bed/2 bath home of around 2000 sq ft in central Alabama in a decent neighborhood.  It's not some mansion or something beyond the reasonable needs of a typical family of four.

And that’s about two to three times the size of middle class homes in the 40s & 50s.

IMG_2782.jpeg

Yeah.  And if we go back far enough, many families lived in one room huts.  I don't think either that really works for most families anymore.  You're welcome to push for some homes like that, but times change and I don't think homes of 1600-2000 sq ft are people asking for too much or too expensive, nor do I think the people you seem to be hinting this would be aimed at would buy many of these.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Yeah.  And if we go back far enough, many people lived in one room huts.  I don't think either that really works for most families anymore.  You're welcome to push for some homes like that, but times change and I don't think homes of 1600-2000 sq ft are people asking for too much or too expensive, nor do I think the people you seem to be hinting this would be aimed at would buy many of these.

Housing affordability is a problem that the free loans you’re hammering for won’t solve.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Housing affordability is a problem that the free loans you’re hammering for won’t solve.

And building 700 sq ft. cracker boxes with one bathroom and expecting a lot of bites from families of four isn't going to solve it either.  The market has changed.  Even if you believe people are expecting too much, the kind of home that may have worked in the 50s just isn't going to anymore.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And building 700 sq ft. cracker boxes with one bathroom and expecting a lot of bites from families of four isn't going to solve it either.  The market has changed.  Even if you believe people are expecting too much, the kind of home that may have worked in the 50s just isn't going to anymore.

I didn’t suggest that. Just pointing out your 2,500 sf response to my point was waaaay off. I’ve seen developers in the last 20 years offer homes in the 1,300 - 1,700 range and more of those are needed. Our first home was 1,750 with a very efficient, attractive layout. My overarching point is folks have developed expectations of much bigger homes and extremely low interest rates and act like anything else is “insane.” That’s kinda insane. There is financial unreality all through our collapsing culture. As a culture we insist on more than we can afford. Amiright, @auburnatl1?

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

He actually made a whole lot more substantive statements than did Trump through out the debate. 

His problem was with delivery and demeanor.  Regardless, he needs to step down for the sake of the country.  He'll earn a lot of enmity if he doesn't.

If Biden is alive, I think he will be running...

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Biden's doctor has hella drugs monnnnnnn! Just ask Hunter. 😉

Edited by DKW 86

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

No pressure on him today and he gets to read from a teleprompter.  Are we spinning what happened last night?

He is talking to his crowd as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I didn’t suggest that. Just pointing out your 2,500 sf response to my point was waaaay off. I’ve seen developers in the last 20 years offer homes in the 1,300 - 1,700 range and more of those are needed. Our first home was 1,750 with a very efficient, attractive layout. My overarching point is folks have developed expectations of much bigger homes and extremely low interest rates and act like anything else is “insane.” That’s kinda insane. There is financial unreality all through our collapsing culture. As a culture we insist on more than we can afford. Amiright, @auburnatl1?

Well I actually said it was 2000 sq ft.  But depending on where it is, how nice the fixtures are and so on, I have also seen ones in the 1400-1700 sq ft range for that price.  All I'm saying is, I don't think its unreasonable for people to be frustrated that they can't buy another house that's a modest improvement over where they are - when they are already living reasonably and not out of their means - because interest rates skyrocketed to double or triple what they were 2-3 years ago.  I'm not discussing people that want to jump into the lap of luxury and overbuy here.  

As long as your argument is basically that such a desire by them is being unrealistic and wanting free money, my advice to you would be not to advise any political campaigns. ;)

Just now, DKW 86 said:

He is talking to his crowd as well.

I mean, it's not like he was facing a crowd of Trumpist hecklers last night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

If Biden is alive, I think he will be running...

I've been saying for months now that Biden would step down from the nomination after the convention.  He could have had a graceful exit based on health or family.  Now it's more complicated. There's no way to save face, and a lot of pressure on him to step down before the convention.  And going through the convention now and then stepping down...damn, that would be a humiliating process. 

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I mean, it's not like he was facing a crowd of Trumpist hecklers last night.

No, but a good speaker can feed off a good crowd. For whatever it is worth, Biden is a first-class debater, and far better than average speaker when he is in his mind.

Edited by DKW 86

28 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I've been saying for months now that Biden would step down from the nomination after the convention.  He could have had a graceful exit based on health or family.  Now it's more complicated. There's no way to save face, and a lot of pressure on him to step down before the convention.  And going through the convention now and then stepping down...damn, that would be a humiliating process. 

I am just quoting some Dem Speakers I heard today. That is not original DKW. I am just repeating what many in the DNC believe about PJB.

Edited by DKW 86

52 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Yes. We are are a have it all now culture.  Just as capitalists like it😇Ps  Interest rates have been ridiculously low since the Great Recession. 3-4%. 5-6% is the historical norm.

44 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well I actually said it was 2000 sq ft.  But depending on where it is, how nice the fixtures are and so on, I have also seen ones in the 1400-1700 sq ft range for that price.  All I'm saying is, I don't think its unreasonable for people to be frustrated that they can't buy another house that's a modest improvement over where they are - when they are already living reasonably and not out of their means - because interest rates skyrocketed to double or triple what they were 2-3 years ago.  I'm not discussing people that want to jump into the lap of luxury and overbuy here.  

As long as your argument is basically that such a desire by them is being unrealistic and wanting free money, my advice to you would be not to advise any political campaigns. ;)

Housing is a local issue, but if I was advising a local campaign, but I’d probably look at whether loosening zoning laws made sense and explore tax breaks for developers offering more affordable housing— which almost certainly means modest, although there are small ritzy garden homes in pricey locales. I wouldn’t advocate any particular interest rate because it’s not a political question. I just know the notion that interest rates must always remain at historic lows is not a solution. Politicians need to focus on the things they can do.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Housing is a local issue, but if I was advising a local campaign, but I’d probably look at whether loosening zoning laws made sense and explore tax breaks for developers offering more affordable housing— which almost certainly means modest, although there are small ritzy garden homes in pricey locales. I wouldn’t advocate any particular interest rate because it’s not a political question. I just know the notion that interest rates must always remain at historic lows is not a solution. Politicians need to focus on the things they can do.

I just sold my  for over twice what I paid for it 10 yrs ago.  had a 3% loan. The people who bought my house have a monthly payment over 4X what mine was (7% loan). That is nuts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

I just sold my  for over twice what I paid for it 10 yrs ago.  had a 3% loan. The people who bought my house have a monthly payment over 4X what mine was (7% loan). That is nuts.

And until I sell my home, the only thing the rapid rise in value brings me is higher property tax.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think it’s called “sundowning” in the Alzheimer’s community. 

From a purely strategic standpoint, Whitmer-Shapiro would be my pick. The election’s going to come down to MI, PA and WI (again), so you might as well get two of those governors to pair up.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, JMWATS said:

I think it’s called “sundowning” in the Alzheimer’s community. 

This actually is a thing. My aunt was losing her mind for about 6 months before she died. She lost it all by the end. That thing living her body was no longer a woman that was our surrogate mom who loved us greatly but a nasty snarling demon. But even on her worst periods, she would have these lucid moments when she was just an awesome person...that we still didn't recognize, but she could be awesome.

Edited by DKW 86

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

This actually a thing. My aunt was losing her mind for about 6 months before she died. She lost it all by the end. That thing living her body was no longer a woman that was our surrogate mom who loved us greatly but a nasty snarling demon. Bit even on her worst periods, she would have these lucid moments when she was just an awesome person...that we still didn't recognize, but she could be awesome.

My mother was diagnosed with dementia in her late 70s that was thought to be Alzheimers related.  
The later it got in the day the more confused she would become.  That is known as sundowning.