The Presidential debate

46 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Same here, my quality of life hasn't suffered under Biden, but my gosh, everyday things cost so much more than they did four years ago. Inflation has had a major impact on younger familes  and fixed income folks.

I , too, have never voted for a democrat for president, and don't think I ever will.

Spiraling price of everything is really tough on younger people. They have nothing close to the buying power my generation had at their age. When we were first home buyer age a couples combined salaries came close to matching the cost of a moderate home. Sure not true today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Missed the point; She knows he is weak and feeble and still props him up as if he is capable of running the country.  Oh, and he answered every question too.

You cast her as an evil person controlling her husband— based on what?

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Spiraling price of everything is really tough on younger people. They have nothing close to the buying power my generation had at their age. When we were first home buyer age a couples combined salaries came close to matching the cost of a moderate home. Sure not true today.

I'm in a younger generation and haven't noticed these price issues many have been complaining about 

2 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I'm in a younger generation and haven't noticed these price issues many have been complaining about 

Then you are a very rare exception. Priced a new home, got an insurance quote, or visited Home Depot in the past few years?

4 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I guess you don't buy groceries, aren't in the market for a new home, don't buy gas for your car, or basically anything.

Look, I'm not even a Trump fan and I know my paycheck isn't going nearly as far as it was just a few years ago.  We'd love to move to a different home but home prices have shot up and interest rates are insane.  It's one thing if you want to argue that inflation isn't really Biden's fault, but to act like it doesn't exist or isn't noticeable to most Americans is industrial-strength denialism.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess you don't buy groceries, aren't in the market for a new home, don't buy gas for your car, or basically anything.

Maybe that's it. I work from home so maybe I haven't noticed the changes since I only look at the total spending over time. I have only driven 10k miles since covid

Edited by arein0

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

Maybe that's it. I work from home so maybe I haven't noticed the changes since I only look at the total spending over time. I have only driven 10k miles since covid

You should get out more😀

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You should get out more😀

Why? I enjoy my life as is. I would rather keep lifestyle creep tamed and retire earlier.

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We'd love to move to a different home but home prices have shot up and interest rates are insane.

Interest rates are actually historically pretty good. Less than I got in 1999, 2001 and 2005. Everyone got used to free money since 2008.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I will also say, diehard Trumpies and Republican auto-voters don't want Biden to be replaced.  Or at least they shouldn't want it.  If Biden stays in, a Trump victory is all but assured.  If the Dems nominate someone new who can competently go after Trump and call him on his bull****, all bets are off.  So if you're cheering on the meltdown on the other side of the aisle right now, be careful what you wish for.

I had been of the opinion for several months that the Republicans had chosen a presumptive nominee that was the one person who could lose to Biden (again), but have changed my mind on that, and it's certainly not because of any about-face Trump might have done. I don't think last night convinced anyone who was undecided to think that Biden can hold up for another 4+ years.

2 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Why? I enjoy my life as is. I would rather keep lifestyle creep tamed and retire earlier.

Sounds great. 10k miles since covid. Wouldn’t make a difference to you if gas went to $50/gal.

14 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I have only driven 10k miles since covid

Zig zag cross country trip, or multiple visits to the grocery store?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We'd love to move to a different home but home prices have shot up and interest rates are insane. 

Part of the housing prices could be an increase in demand with the rise of REIT companies and house flipping/renting has become more popular from TV

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Look, I'm not even a Trump fan and I know my paycheck isn't going nearly as far as it was just a few years ago.  We'd love to move to a different home but home prices have shot up and interest rates are insane.  It's one thing if you want to argue that inflation isn't really Biden's fault, but to act like it doesn't exist or isn't noticeable to most Americans is industrial-strength denialism.

It obviously exists. The truth is it’s global and there is very little a president can do about it in a free market economy - macro economics 101 - but a lot of politics is luck and timing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Not a bad move. 

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Zig zag cross country trip, or multiple visits to the grocery store?

I always joke with my wife that my car is essentially a retired couple who only goes to church and the grocery store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

It may be just deference to PJB. They all know him from his 50 years in DC too. 

There has to be a point in which true journalist would start to ask questions before 4 months before the election.

IMO bottom line last night was a train wreck for Biden. It will stick in peoples heads and they’ll be thinking if this is 2024, what will 2027 look like?

This is a critical time for the Dems prior to their convention. Trump is a ridiculously weak candidate,  but Biden’s risk and persona may surpass that.

Some tough discussions and choices should be in play.

Edited by auburnatl1

27 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Also I used to go out for lunch when I worked in the office. Since working from home I've only had leftovers. Creating lots of savings. Our grocery store also has a gas station that gives fuel points for groceries, so we regularly get gas for 1.00 - 0.50 off per gallon

40 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You cast her as an evil person controlling her husband— based on what?

She knows her husband better than anyone in the world.  She knew that he was slipping, maybe not when he first ran for president, but lately she had to know.  It will be interesting if she leads the movement to replace him as the nominee.  If she does, it will improve my perception of her.

16 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

It obviously exists. The truth is it’s global and there is very little a president can do about it in a free market economy - macro economics 101 - but a lot of politics is luck and timing.

Ok.  But that's a different argument than "I haven't noticed it."

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Ok.  But that's a different argument than "I haven't noticed it."

Yes it is

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

She knows her husband better than anyone in the world.  She knew that he was slipping, maybe not when he first ran for president, but lately she had to know.  It will be interesting if she leads the movement to replace him as the nominee.  If she does, it will improve my perception of her.

Does your wife tell you what to do?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Does your wife tell you what to do?

Is this a joke? We both have experience with family members having dementia and/or Alzheimer’s.  If she felt I was slipping into either of these issues she would let me know and I would expect her to.  And I would do the same for her.

36 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Interest rates are actually historically pretty good. Less than I got in 1999, 2001 and 2005. Everyone got used to free money since 2008.

Look, I'm not comparing to what things were in the 70s or early 2000s.  And neither am I expecting for historically low 2.75% interest rates to be the norm again.  But even if someone fell somewhere in the middle between the historic lows and where we are now (around 7% national average), it's not good.  Someone with a $250,000 home at 4.25% right now moving even to a home of the exact same price would have their payment go up $350 a month on principal and interest alone.  That's going to stymie home sales no matter what.  And the interest rates are that high because inflation has been so hot.  So folks are getting screwed at both ends.