What potential war would you support American troops on the ground for?

Ukraine v Russia?

Never get into a war with Russia. Hitler couldn't beat them. Napoleon couldn't beat them. The US will never support a war that would last the required time and toll. 

Iran v Israel?

This is THE WAR. I will be in the minority here but this is the one we must get involved in and manage it correctly. We cannot get this into a Crusade. It must be Israel land only.

China v Tawain?

While we are friends with Taiwan, we never actually said that Taiwan wasn't a Chinese possession. I have a feeling this will be another Panama Canal thing.

Edited by DKW 86

36 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Ukraine v Russia?

Iran v Israel?

China v Tawain?

A Chinese invasion of Australia.  While very unlikely, I would support American troops on the ground.  I would support military engagement by air and long range missiles to cripple Iran, which would keep U.S. ground troops out of the conflict.

As much as I detest Chinese actions surrounding Taiwan, young Americans cannot be expected to sacrifice their lives for Taiwan's defense.

If a NATO country was attacked, I would support an allied response that included ground troops.

The U.S. has to prepare for a total boycott of anything manufactured in China.  That is our greatest weapon and what the Chinese government fears most.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Ukraine v Russia?

Never get into a war with Russia. Hitler couldn't beat them. Napoleon couldn't beat them. The US will never support a war that would last the required time and toll. 

Iran v Israel?

This is THE WAR. I will be in the minority here but this is the one we must get involved in and manage it correctly. We cannot get this into a Crusade. It must be Israel land only.

China v Tawain?

While we are friends with Taiwan, we never actually said that Taiwan wasn't a Chinese possession. I have a feeling this will be another Panama Canal thing.

Hitler was a horrible strategist with regard to the use of his powerful military.    That said, your point is valid.  If you have to fight Russia, make it on your terms and not their terms on their homeland.  Germany dispatched the Russian army easily, until they got bogged down in a Russian winter deep inside Russia.

32 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

A Chinese invasion of Australia.  While very unlikely, I would support American troops on the ground.  I would support military engagement by air and long range missiles to cripple Iran, which would keep U.S. ground troops out of the conflict.

As much as I detest Chinese actions surrounding Taiwan, young Americans cannot be expected to sacrifice their lives for Taiwan's defense.

If a NATO country was attacked, I would support an allied response that included ground troops.

The U.S. has to prepare for a total boycott of anything manufactured in China.  That is our greatest weapon and what the Chinese government fears most.

If Taiwan were lost to the Chinese it would be catastrophic. They make 65% of the world’s computer chips. The US is now almost completely dependent on them.  From computers to cars to weapons. This website would shut down. In 2024, maybe more  important than oil. The US would be crippled within months.  It’s why strategically Biden’s least talked about but most important legislation was the chip and science act - but it will take almost a decade (very difficult to (re) create infrastructure and train workforce) to make it a reality.  Until then, every defense think thank predicts that we’d have to choice but to defend Taiwan.

image.png.978dba44ce4a72a06f5940536f650b5e.png

Edited by auburnatl1

47 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

If Taiwan were lost to the Chinese it would be catastrophic. They make 65% of the world’s computer chips. The US is now almost completely dependent on them.  From computers to cars to weapons. This website would shut down. In 2024, maybe more  important than oil. The US would be crippled within months.  It’s why strategically Biden’s least talked about but most important legislation was the chip and science act - but it will take almost a decade (very difficult to (re) create infrastructure and train workforce) to make it a reality.  Until then, every defense think thank predicts that we’d have to choice but to defend Taiwan.

How realistic would it be to start transferring their chip industry?

29 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

How realistic would it be to start transferring their chip industry?

Very realistic That was the intent of the bill. But you can’t make companies move their manufacturing centers and supply chains overnight (even if they want to) plus it requires a very specialized highly trained workforce. (throw in that  companies went to Taiwan for a reason, US labor is more expensive -> inflationary). Bottom line - it took us decades to get into this mess, it’ll take time to unwind it.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Hitler was a horrible strategist with regard to the use of his powerful military.    That said, your point is valid.  If you have to fight Russia, make it on your terms and not their terms on their homeland.  Germany dispatched the Russian army easily, until they got bogged down in a Russian winter deep inside Russia.

"Defeating" Russia is a red herring.  They have strategic nuclear weapons and would use them in the face of complete military defeat.

All we need to do - in conjunction with our NATO allies - is defend Ukraine and the Baltic states and Russia will eventually rot from within.  Sooner or later there will be another Russian revolution and/or a civil war.

Our challenge as a country is to demonstrate that democracy - in some form - is necessary for peace.

Edited by homersapien

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2024/03/19/biden-to-announce-billions-in-federal-funding-for-chip-producer-intel-to-expand-and-build-facilities-in-four-states

Already underway. I thought it was much further along than that before I did the research.

The Adm wants 20% of chip-making back in the US by 2030. 

How in the hell did we screw this up so badly???? Ths dumbest people on the planet must live in DC....

Edited by DKW 86

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Defeating" Russia is a red herring.  They have strategic nuclear weapons and would use them in the face of complete military defeat.

All we need to do - in conjunction with our NATO allies - is defend Ukraine and the Baltic states and Russia will eventually rot from within.  Sooner or later there will be another Russian revolution and/or a civil war.

Our challenge as a country is to demonstrate that democracy - in some form - is necessary for peace.

Do we really think Putin would not use the nukes if he was really losing?

He is a disciple of Stalin, or was...

10 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2024/03/19/biden-to-announce-billions-in-federal-funding-for-chip-producer-intel-to-expand-and-build-facilities-in-four-states

Already underway. I thought it was much further along than that before I did the research.

The Adm wants 20% of chip-making back in the UIS by 2030. 

How in the hell did we screw this up so badly???? Ths dumbest people on the planet must live in DC....

People love supply chain globalization when they buy stuff (even if they say they don’t or don’t understand it). It’s friggin cheap. Ie Chip costs dropped 50% in a decade. But geopolitically it can cause huge problems and militarily make us dependent

• Like 2

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

We have to prepare to not be reliant on Chinese manufacturing.  There is no way around it.  Not being reliant on Taiwan is part of that overall approach.  If we no longer have access to chips made in Taiwan, it means they are then part of China.

China's economy would be wrecked along with ours, but they are much more accustomed to hardships than the average American.  It is still our best leverage.

Edited by AU9377

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

We have to prepare to not be reliant on Chinese manufacturing.  There is no way around it.  Not being reliant on Taiwan is part of that overall approach.  If we no longer have access to chips made in Taiwan, it means they are then part of China.

China's economy would be wrecked along with ours, but they are much more accustomed to hardships than the average American.  It is still our best leverage.

How did no one in DC not see this and stop it? You have to truly ask the question: How stupid are our supposed leaders?

19 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

They make 65% of the world’s computer chips.

I’m trying to think of any scenario where I would send my sons off to die over computer chips. It would never happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m trying to think of any scenario where I would send my sons off to die over computer chips. It would never happen. 

i have little trust in the gov after Nam And the Sandinista village killing spree's supporting one of the most brutal dictators in the world at the time.the american people were lied to so bad in nam and so many kids that did not want to be there died because of it. and whey they expressed their opinion they were savaged publicly and called commies and cowards. i stood up and i have never forgotten the shame me and others lived through.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If leaders would apply your test to any war - it would end war as a concept.

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

If leaders would apply your test to any war - it would end war as a concept.

Come on man. There is evil in this world and that evil could care less about your offspring.  Putin invaded Ukraine and HAMAS attacked Israel and have would loved to have no resistance.  All it would take is for good people to do nothing.

It looks like you can take the Iran v Israel choice off your list.

"On Monday, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. C.Q. Brown, warned Israel that if a war with Hezbollah erupts, it can't can't count on the United States for assistance."

LINK

Just now, Tigermike said:

It looks like you can take the Iran v Israel choice off your list.

"On Monday, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. C.Q. Brown, warned Israel that if a war with Hezbollah erupts, it can't can't count on the United States for assistance."

LINK

This is so typical of this administration.  If this administration would have backed Israel as they should have, Hezbollah would not have tried anything with Israel, but they knew Biden would back HAMAS or at least not press HAMAS for concessions. Slow walking aid to Israel and constantly wanting a cease fire will embolden any terrorist organization.  If war breaks out between Israel and Hezbollah it will all be on Joe.

Biden’s foreign policies are a disaster.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is so typical of this administration.  If this administration would have backed Israel as they should have, Hezbollah would not have tried anything with Israel, but they knew Biden would back HAMAS or at least not press HAMAS for concessions. Slow walking aid to Israel and constantly wanting a cease fire will embolden any terrorist organization.  If war breaks out between Israel and Hezbollah it will all be on Joe.

Biden’s foreign policies are a disaster.  

image.jpeg.aca34d5d0aabb387b6aaaa2b024b7645.jpeg

• Haha 3

And what will this administration do when Iran and the Taliban take a “joint action” against Israel? 

11 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

And what will this administration do when Iran and the Taliban take a “joint action” against Israel? 

What do you want us to do?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

image.jpeg.aca34d5d0aabb387b6aaaa2b024b7645.jpeg

If you have a different opinion we would love to hear it.

47 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What do you want us to do?

This is your administration and you all seem to be happy with what he's done and the direction thes taking.

Tell us why war is so important for democrats now?

3 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

This is your administration and you all seem to be happy with what he's done and the direction thes taking.

Tell us why war is so important for democrats now?

I don’t believe there is any evidence that Hamas attacked Israel because of Joe Biden or his policies. 

if they did, that was a very, very bad move on their part considering Gaza is a smoking ruin now thanks to US weaponry, and a majority of Hamas has been destroyed. 

there is no evidence that Biden is about to abandon Israel.

• Haha 1