Time for Lane Kiffin to put up or shut up’

al.com

Finebaum: ‘Time for Lane Kiffin to put up or shut up’

Published: Jun. 21, 2024, 5:57 a.m.

~3 minutes

FILE -Mississippi head coach Lane Kiffin watches his players make a play against Auburn during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Oxford, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022. Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin has agreed to a contract extension. Vice Chancellor for Intercollegiate Athletics Keith Carter announced the agreement Tuesday, Dec. 19, 2023 but didn't disclose any details.(AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)AP

Paul Finebaum was just answering the question, he said.

“At some point, it’s time for (Ole Miss coach) Lane Kiffin to put up or shut up,” the SEC Network analyst told me Thursday on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5.

“He talks a good game. We all love his Twitter game, even though I never thought it was that creative. I just think he’s got this mystique with fans, and he lives off of that.”

How will Kiffin and the Rebels be viewed if they don’t make the 12-team College Football Playoff this season? That’s the question Finebaum was asked during an appearance this week on “McElroy and Cubelic in The Morning.”

He said it would be a failure.

“This is what (Kiffin) has been building toward,” Finebaum told Cubelic. “This is what he has been talking about. A couple of years ago, things did not look great from an NIL standpoint. He was able to reverse that. He aced the portal -- everyone knows what he got this year. He’s got one of the more experienced quarterbacks in the league and around the country.”

He took it a step further on Thursday.

“I’m not hating here,” Finebaum explained. “I’m simply making a statement. I think this is a very big season. Lane got a tremendous break. No. 1, (Former Alabama coach) Nick Saban leaving. He was never going to beat Nick Saban. Secondly, by not having Alabama on the schedule.”

He admits there are other hurdles on the schedule, but that’s life in the SEC.

“In the playoff era, you have to get there if you are considered legit.”

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 10:19 AM, aubiefifty said:

al.com

Finebaum: ‘Time for Lane Kiffin to put up or shut up’

Published: Jun. 21, 2024, 5:57 a.m.

~3 minutes

FILE -Mississippi head coach Lane Kiffin watches his players make a play against Auburn during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Oxford, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022. Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin has agreed to a contract extension. Vice Chancellor for Intercollegiate Athletics Keith Carter announced the agreement Tuesday, Dec. 19, 2023 but didn't disclose any details.(AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)AP

Paul Finebaum was just answering the question, he said.

“At some point, it’s time for (Ole Miss coach) Lane Kiffin to put up or shut up,” the SEC Network analyst told me Thursday on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5.

“He talks a good game. We all love his Twitter game, even though I never thought it was that creative. I just think he’s got this mystique with fans, and he lives off of that.”

How will Kiffin and the Rebels be viewed if they don’t make the 12-team College Football Playoff this season? That’s the question Finebaum was asked during an appearance this week on “McElroy and Cubelic in The Morning.”

He said it would be a failure.

“This is what (Kiffin) has been building toward,” Finebaum told Cubelic. “This is what he has been talking about. A couple of years ago, things did not look great from an NIL standpoint. He was able to reverse that. He aced the portal -- everyone knows what he got this year. He’s got one of the more experienced quarterbacks in the league and around the country.”

He took it a step further on Thursday.

“I’m not hating here,” Finebaum explained. “I’m simply making a statement. I think this is a very big season. Lane got a tremendous break. No. 1, (Former Alabama coach) Nick Saban leaving. He was never going to beat Nick Saban. Secondly, by not having Alabama on the schedule.”

He admits there are other hurdles on the schedule, but that’s life in the SEC.

“In the playoff era, you have to get there if you are considered legit.”

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Definitely not a failure. Ole Miss has definitely progressed since he has been there.

• Like 2

I’m not sure I agree or necessary disagree with Kiffin’s portal philosophy right now.  But he seems to be ok with letting another program train up the high school kids and then he snags them in the portal a year or two later.  He gets a guy that’s more mature physically and mentally than a freshman player and he gets a good amount of time to really evaluate them. Thus far he’s done well at OM.

Finebaum is an idiot. Kiffin is an excellent coach and has Ole Miss within EXPECTATIONS of soon making the CFP.

Ole Miss.

I wish Kiffin had been hired at AU or UA. To have him in the Iron Bowl on either side would have been epic.

Kiffin is not the childish character he used to be, although he still likes to goad other teams. Fact is, he has put together a good program at Ole Miss -- which hasn't had many good programs in recent years. The Rebels are not yet "elite" and who knows if they will ever be, but they are damn competitive. Cred to the kitten.

• Like 1

Change the title to Hugh Freeze and it makes perfect sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 9:46 PM, TigerOne said:

Change the title to Hugh Freeze and it makes perfect sense.

Freeze and AU will outpace Ole Piss sooner than later.