10 Commandments

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

You and Fifty love to bring up Jesus’ love and it is true, he does love us all, but the message is more that love and we, as a culture have lost the meaning:

I think that’s fair.  Religion is also about sacrifice, discipline, and selflessness.  However, it’s a fine line between your snowflake point  and a forcing it down their throats / only my belief is right culture.

Nonetheless, unless the evangelical big idea  is to go back to the Spanish Inquisition and convert people at the tip of a sword - the fact remains that churches are at half the attendance they were 25 years ago. IMO it’s not all because of secularism/ liberalism  - the church’s message in some denominations is literally chasing people way. It comes across as down right hostile.

Which is Christianity upside down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think that’s fair.  Religion is also about sacrifice, discipline, and selflessness.  However, it’s a fine line between your snowflake point  and a forcing it down their throats / only my belief is right culture.

Nonetheless, unless the evangelical big idea  is to go back to the Spanish Inquisition and convert people at the tip of a sword - the fact remains that churches are at half the attendance they were 25 years ago. IMO it’s not all because of secularism/ liberalism  - the church’s message in some denominations is literally chasing people way. It comes across as down right hostile.

Which is Christianity upside down.

you could not pay me to go to church right now. i feel anger and i feel betrayed. there is no love only marginalizing those less unfortunate than us. i will confess it breaks my heart. everyone sees the anger but no one sees the hurt and agner it causes me. you do not play with religion and i will call those to task if i think they are not doing right. maybe it makes me an a**hole but it means a lot to try and stand tall and believe in some kind of love and not a bunch of crap you hope happens.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

think that’s fair.  Religion is also about sacrifice, discipline, and selflessness.  However, it’s a fine line between your snowflake point  and a forcing it down their throats / only my belief is right culture.

The point of sacrifice, discipline and selflessness is that it is a road map to success regardless of religion, the fact that this is what Jesus preached is not in itself a mandate by religion.  Just growing up you, I would hope, you would understand the only way to succeed is putting in the work that will help you improve yourself (sacrifice) and the only way to do that is to have some discipline to consistently improve yourself.  This isn’t, necessarily, a religious belief.  However, not being taught these truths while you grow up, it would be hard get them on your own.  Yes it is a parent’s job to do that, but as we know, all parents don’t teach what should be taught.  So how do we ensure these things are taught?

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

the fact remains that churches are at half the attendance they were 25 years ago.

No question the attendance is declining.  There has always been ebbs and flows in religious beliefs, there isn’t really a consistent message coming out of religion and that has a lot to do with it.  The problem, as I see it, is religion has rules to live up to and nobody can live up to those and, lately, they don’t want to.  In reality, the rules are something that will take a lifetime to achieve, but the journey is worth it.

We have posters on this board that believes he is the final word as to what Jesus is about and condemns those that don’t fit in his definition of a follower.  And he is a liberal.  How arrogant.  He has stopped learning.  It is too bad.  I hope he gets to a better place.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The point of sacrifice, discipline and selflessness is that it is a road map to success regardless of religion, the fact that this is what Jesus preached is not in itself a mandate by religion.  Just growing up you, I would hope, you would understand the only way to succeed is putting in the work that will help you improve yourself (sacrifice) and the only way to do that is to have some discipline to consistently improve yourself.  This isn’t, necessarily, a religious belief.  However, not being taught these truths while you grow up, it would be hard get them on your own.  Yes it is a parent’s job to do that, but as we know, all parents don’t teach what should be taught.  So how do we ensure these things are taught?

No question the attendance is declining.  There has always been ebbs and flows in religious beliefs, there isn’t really a consistent message coming out of religion and that has a lot to do with it.  The problem, as I see it, is religion has rules to live up to and nobody can live up to those and, lately, they don’t want to.  In reality, the rules are something that will take a lifetime to achieve, but the journey is worth it.

We have posters on this board that believes he is the final word as to what Jesus is about and condemns those that don’t fit in his definition of a follower.  And he is a liberal.  How arrogant.  He has stopped learning.  It is too bad.  I hope he gets to a better place.

Candidly I think we’ve all been a pain in the butt when discussion religion. Including me. 

Maybe football season will help bridge the gap😎

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

more and more people are turning away from the church and some pretend they do not understand why? you do not make a mockery of christian laws to elevate a none christian and people notice.you can say anything on here but if you do not walk the walk you hurt the message.

I mean evangelical whites went nuts for Trump in 2020. That tells me all I need to know about what their religion is all about. There isn’t one damn thing “Christ like” about Don. Go to church on Sunday and sing a song about how a sexual assaulter who lies and steals routinely is the chosen one on Monday. F’ing joke.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Go to church on Sunday and sing a song about how a sexual assaulter who lies and steals routinely is the chosen one on Monday.

Which song is that one?

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Which song is that one?

Oh boy. You must not know…

Do I got something fun for you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Candidly I think we’ve all been a pain in the butt when discussion religion. Including me. 

Religion could mean several different beliefs. Pretty sure the beef is with Christians.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No you don’t

Good god man. How in the world can you, with a right mind, defend that  sacrilegious pile of s**t song?

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Religion could mean several different beliefs. Pretty sure the beef is with Christians.

I agree. But the term religion is less abrasive than Christian which is less abrasive than evangelical.

Im enjoying a nice rum tonight and im currently all about nonabrasive.

Tomorrow, no promises 😇

@SaltyTigerJust going to hit me with the ole hear no evil see no evil, huh?

I don’t blame you man. That seems like a tough thing to defend.

• Like 2

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

I agree. But the term religion is less abrasive than Christian which is less abrasive than evangelical.

Im enjoying a nice rum tonight and im currently all about nonabrasive.

Tomorrow, no promises 😇

That’s good. Correct and honest answer Nat’l. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

@SaltyTigerJust going to hit me with the ole hear no evil see no evil, huh?

I don’t blame you man. That seems like a tough thing to defend.

Sure

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sure

Do you think that Trump is Christianity’s chosen one, Salty?

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Good god man. How in the world can you, with a right mind, defend that  sacrilegious pile of s**t song?

Denial

Text of the Bill:   https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1379435

I've seen a lot of its defenders saying that other historical documents are included, but the Ten Commandments is the only document mandated.

Let's not pretend we don't know what this is about. The other documents were just listed as cover.

You won't find many examples of a violation of the establishment clause more egregious than this.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Text of the Bill:   https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1379435

I've seen a lot of its defenders saying that other historical documents are included, but the Ten Commandments are the only document mandated.

Let's not pretend we don't know what this is about. The other documents were just listed as cover. You won't find many examples of a violation of the establishment clause more egregious than this.

the sad fact is they do NOT care,

18 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I don’t think it accomplishes much but it may be a local culture/states rights issue. Plus if it lowers the odds of  them  burning the capital down if trump loses…. go for it.

No doubt.

Of course, "local culture / states rights" has typically been used by a majority to suppress the rights of minorities - in this case non-Christians and/or the non-religious.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

No doubt.

Of course, "local culture / states rights" has typically been used by a majority to suppress the rights of minorities - in this case non-Christians and/or the non-religious.

There are 2 ways to preserve a democracy. 1) majority rules 2) localization.  Imperfect but it protects the union. 

The consequence to Louisiana in this situation may be more brain drain and people and companies leaving the state, and ultimately the only people left are those with an iq of a chipmunk.

Ultimately states compete with one another for talent.  And based on average salaries you can see the states that are losing…

• Like 1

The fact that we still have government mandated religion is proof we need to blindly vote democrat until religion dies and the Republican Party can be replaced by actual conservatives.  Anyone defending big government evangelicals trying to enforce their dying religion while lambasting big government is either a moron or a hypocrite. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aufan59 said:

The fact that we still have government mandated religion is proof we need to blindly vote democrat until religion dies and the Republican Party can be replaced by actual conservatives.  Anyone defending big government evangelicals trying to enforce their dying religion while lambasting big government is either a moron or a hypocrite. 

Respectfully, that kind of statement is the nutrition that feeds maga. Implying Democrats (“deep state”) are out to slowly starve away their religion (and guns and other individual rights).  

It’s a vicious cycle that I’m not bright enough to know how to stop - but it’s a damn crush the other guy/crusades-style cycle nonetheless.

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Respectfully, that kind of statement is the nutrition that feeds maga. Implying Democrats (“deep state”) are out to slowly starve away their religion (and guns and other individual rights).  

It’s a vicious cycle that I’m not bright enough to know how to stop - but it’s a damn crush the other guy/crusades-style cycle nonetheless.

There are many statements that feed MAGA.  For example:  Black people should be allowed to vote.  Gay marriage should be legal.  The greenhouse effect is real.  Trump lost the election.  Women should be able to have careers.  Joe Biden.

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t say them.

Anyways, I did not saying that Democrats are starving away their religion.  But that their religion is dying and a farce if it has to be government mandated.  And that using big government to mandate religion while also complaining about big government is at best hypocritical. 

Edited by Aufan59
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Aufan59 said:

There are many statements that feed MAGA.  For example:  Black people should be allowed to vote.  Gay marriage should be legal.  The greenhouse effect is real.  Trump lost the election.  Women should be able to have careers.  Joe Biden.

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t say them.

Anyways, I did not saying that Democrats are starving away their religion.  But that their religion is dying and a farce if it has to be government mandated.  And that using big government to mandate religion while also complaining about big government is at best hypocritical. 

It is fair to say maga screams in terror about big controlling gov  - but seems to want an even bigger controlling gov - just one that … agrees with them.  Which is Reaganism completely upside down.