10 Commandments

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Context Statement”…..like that. Louisiana is a great place. What do think Nat’l?

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-ten-commandments-displayed-classrooms-571a2447906f7bbd5a166d53db005a62#

Uncomfortable, seems religiously heavy handed, panicked and pointless - won’t resolve the core terror for Christians.

Problem solving 101:  is what you’re doing getting you what you want?

https://www.thebanner.org/news/2021/10/study-attendance-at-us-religious-congregations-halved-since-2000

• Like 2

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

won’t resolve the core terror for Christians.

In your opinion; what is the core terror for Christians?

Could the reason for putting up the Ten Commandments an attempt to focus the students on what is expected of them during their time at school?  Is your objection because it is religious?

american taliban. put some muslim scripture up beside it and see what happens. those loving christians would loose their sh*t

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In your opinion; what is the core terror for Christians?

Could the reason for putting up the Ten Commandments an attempt to focus the students on what is expected of them during their time at school?  Is your objection because it is religious?

Terror may have been the wrong word. Concern - in that,  church attendance is literally crashing for this generation.

My concern is basic separation of church and state stuff.  Feels like a pure political play with obvious feed the base motives. Some of the 10 commandments are good citizen things - lying, stealing, honoring parents, ect. But others are purely religious. 

Not a huge issue but it has a forced feel to it that won’t accomplish much.  Christians imo should focus more on attracting people through messaging and educating. Carrot vs stick. Ie

• Like 2
  • Love 1

more and more people are turning away from the church and some pretend they do not understand why? you do not make a mockery of christian laws to elevate a none christian and people notice.you can say anything on here but if you do not walk the walk you hurt the message.

21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

american taliban. put some muslim scripture up beside it and see what happens. those loving christians would loose their sh*t

Muslim scripture was not a part of American education for 300 years. 10 Commandments in the Quran are about the same as the Bible….most folks wouldn’t know the difference.

The posters, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

Under the law, state funds will not be used to implement the mandate. The posters would be paid for through donations.

• Facepalm 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

more and more people are turning away from the church and some pretend they do not understand why? you do not make a mockery of christian laws to elevate a none christian and people notice.you can say anything on here but if you do not walk the walk you hurt the message.

This is purely an opinion : the culture wars evangelicals are waging are breaking more things than they’re  fixing. Even if it’s well meaning.  For many people it feels “caliphateish” and turns them off immediately.  The messaging it sends to many people is control and intolerance - vs love and hope.

This isn’t what draws people to something and makes them want to learn more, it instead pushes them away and causes eye rolls.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about just getting rid of the first four and call it the last six commandments. If a students asks about the first four, then they should talk to their parents. Are you guys okay with that? 

We didn't have prayer in schools and we certainly didn't have the Ten Commandments posted on the walls of our classrooms.  That wasn't the school's job.  That was a parent's job.  There are multiple times each week that a parent can take their child to church.  These groups trying to wage some sort of culture war politics should spend their money on after school programs and sports leagues where they can actually impact lives of these kids, instead of challenging the constitution that the country was founded on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

My concern is basic separation of church and state stuff

In your article it mentions the 2022 SCOTUS decision about the coach that prayed on the football field.  It may be time to revist this 1st amendment interpretation.

The Ten Commanments were not the only poster to be put up, the Bill of Rights and other inspirational documents that explain how we got here will also be put up, but, of course, the left goes nuts over anything religious.

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

the culture wars evangelicals are waging are breaking more things than they’re  fixing. Even if it’s well meaning.

This is as leftist as anything you have ever said.  The left has eroded the culture for decades and when the right resisted you call it the war evangelists are waging.  It is similar to Hamas attacking Israel and blaming Israel for defending themselves. 

You and Fifty love to bring up Jesus’ love and it is true, he does love us all, but the message is more that love and we, as a culture have lost the meaning:

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In your article it mentions the 2022 SCOTUS decision about the coach that prayed on the football field.  It may be time to revist this 1st amendment interpretation.

The Ten Commanments were not the only poster to be put up, the Bill of Rights and other inspirational documents that explain how we got here will also be put up, but, of course, the left goes nuts over anything religious.

Yes  the left is going to go nuts. Again, it’s a grey area ie the pledge of allegiance.  I simply find this a pointless church vs state battleground  that accomplishes little.

the last time they pulled this crap the satanic church was giving out coloring books to kids at schools. true story. i think roy moore is here............prove me wrong. folks wanting to force their beliefs down others throats...............

That law will get overturned by the courts. 

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

why does the christian right keep forgetting they left england because of religious persecution? you folks should readsome of the crap they did to each other. they did the ol braveheart killing of people because they did not approve. Both sides. i bet you folks think i am kidding.

30 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Perhaps, but it may be close.

Will be interesting to see how the "display supporters" rationalize their way around the 1st amendment.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Muslim scripture was not a part of American education for 300 years. 10 Commandments in the Quran are about the same as the Bible….most folks wouldn’t know the difference.

True.  But this has nothing to do with actual substance. 

You and I both know what the reaction would be were the Islamic version was posted as "Allah's Universal Message" from the Quran.

And the 300 years of educational history is unpersuasive considering the history of American slavery lasted even longer.  It's never too late to do the principled thing and correct a wrong.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

True.  But this has nothing to do with actual substance. 

You and I both know what the reaction would be were the Islamic version was posted as "Allah's Universal Message" from the Quran.

And the 300 years of educational history is unpersuasive considering the history of American slavery lasted even longer.  It's never too late to do the principled thing and correct a wrong.

I was pointing out the “context statement”. I agree with one of Nat’l responses other than panic. It does seem a bit heavy religiously “heavy handed”. Do not why anyone would choose to dig up this tried battle. Had to know it would stir the leftist and ACLU. Agree that it will eventually be overturned.

ACLU, btw, does some great work. Amazing what they can get done for special needs kids in school systems avoiding being compliant. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is as leftist as anything you have ever said.  The left has eroded the culture for decades and when the right resisted you call it the war evangelists are waging.  It is similar to Hamas attacking Israel and blaming Israel for defending themselves. 

You and Fifty love to bring up Jesus’ love and it is true, he does love us all, but the message is more that love and we, as a culture have lost the meaning:

Jesus said in John 14:15 "If you love me, keep my commandments".

That' not only the Ten Commandments, but ALL commandments in the Bible.

• Like 1

Maybe a compromise: put the 10 commandments up, but take them down if proficiency scores decline or graduation rates drop. Let’s get serious about performance based education for our kids. 

Oh look! Another Republican governor focusing on nothing but pointless culture war policies and not solving actual problems or improving the lives of their citizens in any way. 

Shocking. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Oh look! Another Republican governor focusing on nothing but pointless culture war policies and not solving actual problems or improving the lives of their citizens in any way. 

Shocking. 

I don’t think it accomplishes much but it may be a local culture/states rights issue. Plus if it lowers the odds of  them  burning the capital down if trump loses…. go for it.