Chris and Kate Malveaux meet with the media

17 hours ago, slot canyon said:

thanx for adding! i am actually excited for softball again.i think we night be on to something but i am just a fan.

I’m a little worried about the coaches not landing even one transfer yet. It’s a shame they didn’t even have Jalia Lassiter for a visit. Auburn is closer to her hometown than any other SEC team :(

49 minutes ago, WDE1976 said:

I’m a little worried about the coaches not landing even one transfer yet. It’s a shame they didn’t even have Jalia Lassiter for a visit. Auburn is closer to her hometown than any other SEC team :(

The current coaches? They’ve been here two weeks. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The current coaches? They’ve been here two weeks. 

Yes. I am trying to be patient ; ) 

but there are a lot of commitments from around the SEC and transfers should be a big priority! 

auburn and arkansas are the only two SEC teams to not have transfer portal commits yet. 

3 hours ago, WDE1976 said:

Yes. I am trying to be patient ; ) 

but there are a lot of commitments from around the SEC and transfers should be a big priority! 

auburn and arkansas are the only two SEC teams to not have transfer portal commits yet. 

Two Weeks……..

10 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Two Weeks……..

Chastain (new SC head coach) has already signed a transfer pitcher, Nealy Lamb from Charleston Southern. She’s been HC there for 5 days. 

2 weeks is enough time to call a player and schedule a visit….

Looks like more coaching changes in the SB world.  This is a big move 

This is actually significant for us.  A new 30 day transfer window has opened for a preseason top10-15 team in ULL. Go get em coaches.  Probably got a good pitcher or 2 in there. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

This is actually significant for us.  A new 30 day transfer window has opened for a preseason top10-15 team in ULL. Go get em coaches.  Probably got a good pitcher or 2 in there. 

Sam Landry and Chloe Riassetto are their two best pitchers. Both are from Texas, however. Would probably follow him to Tech. Sam Roe is from Destin, FL and can play 3B/1B and C, would be a nice addition if she decided to enter the portal, though. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 11:18 PM, Jad0003 said:

Someone on Robo saying we have a pitcher in town. 

The coaches tweeted "WDE" last night, so hopefully that pitcher committed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my daughters friend was committed to ULL, haven’t heard what she’s doing now, since the coaching change. She is an above average hitter and plays SS in high school, 6A ball (i think all-state this year) She has always said she’d never consider AU bc of Dean….didnt like him at all.  She really liked Duke but I think too far from coastal AL.  

Edited by TigerPAC
Addition

Neither Penta nor Widra have landed anywhere, as of 4 days ago.  I fought and fought, but the Davenport paper would never let me read the Wohlers article.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I fought and fought, but the Davenport paper would never let me read the Wohlers article.

What kind of problem did you run into?  I often have reading various sites because I use a VPN and several security plugins with my browser...but didn't have any trouble with this site.  At any rate, here's the article from the qctimes (Quad City Times):

Wohlers finds warm weather and success at Auburn

When Anna Wohlers was looking for a new softball home, she was certain of one thing – she wanted to be in the south.

The Davenport native, and former Assumption standout loves Iowa, but wanted to be somewhere it’s warm all the time. After two stellar seasons at DePaul, she also was looking to challenge herself against the best.

She found both in Auburn, Ala.

“Iowa’s home and I’m very proud to be from there, but I just don’t like to be cold,” Wohlers said. “If it’s cold here, it means wearing a sweatshirt and sweat pants. I just really wanted to be somewhere where it’s warm all the time.”

The softball component also was key in heading south. The Southeastern Conference is widely considered the premier D-I league in the country.

Wohlers earned All-Big East honors as a freshman and sophomore at DePaul, but after two years, she was ready for a different challenge.

“My two years at DePaul were great. I really enjoyed my time there and don’t have anything bad to say about it,” Wohlers said. “It was just my time to leave, to look for a more competitive environment to push myself to become the best that I can be.”

In two seasons with the Blue Demons, Wohlers hit .314 and .364, slugging 20 home runs and driving in 75 runs. With those numbers, she was a hot commodity in the transfer portal, but eventually made visits to Auburn, Alabama and Florida Atlantic.

“When I made my visit to Auburn, I knew right away that this is where I wanted to be,” she said. “The environment, the culture, the university, the coaches, the players on the team … everything just felt right.”

Making the jump to the vaunted SEC did not slow her down. Last season, she was Auburn’s leading hitter, posting a .309 average, with six homers and 22 RBIs as the Tigers finished with a record of 29-21-1. She also had eight doubles, scored 22 runs and was 6-for-6 on stolen bases. 

Despite the banner first campaign in the SEC, Wohlers is already focused on what she can improve on next season. 

“I wasn’t disappointed in my stats, but there’s definitely room for improvement. I know I can do better,” she said. “When you look back at the season, you always come back to those situations where you think you could have done more to help your team be successful. For me, that’s always been my focus. What can I do better to help our team win?”

She did that big-time at Assumption, helping the Knights to four state titles.

Auburn is a program with similar championship aspirations. In 2023, the Tigers finished 43-19 and were one win away from the College World Series.

Next season, the program on the Plains will have a new, and unique, coaching situation. Earlier this week, Chris and Kate Malveaux, who are married, were announced as the new co-head coaches of the Auburn softball team.

Wohlers is a big believer in the new staff.

“I see it as a great thing and I’m excited to get to work with them,” she said. “I think the future of the program is definitely looking up.”

One of just two Auburn players to start all 51 games last season – 29 at third base and 21 at catcher – Wohlers is staying busy this summer giving private lessons, working another part-time job and spending plenty of time in the cage.

When next season rolls around, another unique occurrence will happen when Auburn faces Tennessee. One of the Vols’ top players – Taylor Pannell – is a former Rock Island standout. Wohlers said the two did not get to talk during the series in late March, but their dads were in contact and watched the games on TV.

“I actually got hit by a pitch (March 29) and Mr. Pannell texted my dad to see how I was,” Wohlers said. “Taylor’s a great player. I’m really happy for her. I thought it was really neat in those games to have two kids from the Quad Cities playing softball in the SEC and hopefully all the young girls see that and they dream big too.”

Thanks for posting, as I've become a big fan of Wohlers.  The QuadCities website would not let me read without subscribing, even after I disabled my ad blocker.