Auburn where Im supposed to be for Creighton transfer pitcher

247sports.com

Auburn where Im supposed to be for Creighton transfer pitcher

Jason Caldwell

15–19 minutes

Mason Koch is the newest portal addition for the Auburn baseball Tigers.

Looking to add more firepower on the mound for the 2025 season, coach Butch Thompson and the Auburn Tigers picked up a huge commitment on Monday when Creighton RHP Mason Koch chose the Tigers. A closer last season for the Blue Jays, Koch posted a 5-1 mark with six saves and 3.29 ERA in 25 appearances. He recorded 60 strikeouts with just 17 walks. He's expected to get a look as a starter for the Tigers when he arrives on campus later this summer.

"I walked on campus and after walking around a little bit, I kind of got the feeling 'this is where I'm supposed to be,'" Koch tells Auburn Undercover. "Then after meeting all the coaches, they all seem super-knowledgeable and they're going to be the best people to help me make the next step in my career. I chose Auburn because it was the best fit. The school is fantastic and the coaches were great. Everybody in that program was just fantastic."

Making 31 career appearances, all in relief, Koch had an ERA of just 3.48 in 44 innings. He allowed just 40 hits with 61 strikeouts and 20 walks. 

With the opportunity to potentially change his role, Koch said that's something he would welcome, but the first thing is to help the team win.

"I would be really happy to have that opportunity to start if that's something that Coach saw me being able to do," Koch said. "My goal is to just help the team win any way possible. If that's at the back end that's fantastic. If that's at the front end, I'm happy to do it. I just want to be able to do whatever Coach needs from me and help the program win."

Koch becomes the third portal addition on the mound for the Tigers, joining LSU transfer Sam Dutton and Cal-Baptist transfer Ryan Hetzler.

Staying at home to play for Creighton his first two seasons, the Omaha native was the top player in Nebraska coming out of high school. He holds the career save mark in Nebraska High School history with 16 and also the single season mark with 11.

"I think every kid grows up wanting to play SEC baseball," Koch said. "I'm just blessed that I have the opportunity to do so. This program has a rich history of being really good in the postseason. Being able to make it back to where I'm blessed to call my hometown would be super-cool as a player. It makes going to Omaha mean a little more because it's going home for me."

Auburn adds ECU Freshman All-American outfielder

Auburn added a huge commitment from Bristol Carter.

Looking for help in the outfield, the Auburn Tigers added a huge piece for the 2025 season with a commitment from East Carolina standout freshman Bristol Carter. A second-team Freshman All-American by PerfectGame, the 5-11, 188 Carter was an AAC All-Freshman selection this past season as well after putting up huge numbers for the Pirates.

Second on the team with a .346 average, Carter had a pair of home runs and 31 runs batted in while starting 46 games. He added seven doubles while only striking out 23 times for the season.

Carter is currently playing for the Harwich Mariners in the Cape Cod League.

Carter becomes the sixth portal commitment for the Tigers, joining Lucas Steele from Samford, Eric Snow from USF, Sam Dutton from LSU, Andrew Dutton from Birmingham-Southern and Ryan Hetzler from Cal-Baptist.