Democracy is overrated, some in MAGA base say

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Not to derail this thread into an abortion thread but I think the crux of that one is more of a "When does a human being gain the rights afforded by the constitution"

With the far side on one end saying it's the absolute second sperm meets egg, and the far other side saying nut until the human can successfully escape the womb.

And then the majority in the middle for one reason or another feel 12, 15, or 20 weeks is when rights should be granted. But like quote below says;

I don't think we have a lot of people in our government who are dedicated to setting a real foundational status regarding a timeline for human rights, as they are too busy bickering and back biting. With some on both sides (Thinking MTG and AOC) believing that riling up their base is more important than actually doing their job.

I didn't intend to hijack the thread, but nuances aside, I am pretty sure that a majority of voters oppose the overturn of Roe v. Wade.  That's certainly what the midterms indicated. (And what the Democrats are counting on.)

We shall see.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I didn't intend to hijack the thread, but nuances aside, I am pretty sure that a majority of voters oppose the overturn of Roe v. Wade.  That's certainly what the midterms indicated. (And what the Democrats are counting on.)

We shall see.

I’m beginning to think more and more that a lot of these issues should be handled at the state level. Abortion, guns, some cultural issues, ect. It may not be ideal or pure, but damn it’s more practical. And takes some stress off the current political environment.

The bottom line is I don’t know how to get someone from Manhattan to agree with someone from Opp on many core grey issues.

Obviously many things need to be national and have a “common denominator”, but the question of how much should be  universal and what should be local is becoming more relevant by the year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m beginning to think more and more that a lot of these issues should be handled at the state level. Abortion, guns, some cultural issues, ect. It may not be ideal or pure, but damn it’s more practical. And takes some stress off the current political environment.

The bottom line is I don’t know how to get someone from Manhattan to agree with someone from Opp on many core grey issues.

Obviously many things need to be national and have a “common denominator”, but the question of how much should be  universal and what should be local is becoming more relevant by the year.

I would like to agree on the basis that states should be at least theoretically more responsive to popular will, but history shows that's not the case.  And typically, the first thing that gets compromised is voter representation.

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Local or state levels may be best concerning abortion. Hate that it needs legislation period. The option is a very personal decision and every situation is unique to persons involved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Local or state levels may be best concerning abortion. Hate that it needs legislation period. The option is a very personal decision and every situation is unique to persons involved.

Separate point but a peripheral truth is that maga has political influence primarily because of quirks in the political model: ie Idaho has as many senators as California, the electoral college math issue, ect. Longer term the country as a whole is becoming more urban and less white - which ain’t exactly magas strike zone. 

I think localization is in everyone’s interest and lessons the need for maga to pine about the wonders of autocracies.