He is the ‘worst of everything’

Finebaum on College Football Hall of Fame nominee: He is the ‘worst of everything’

Published: Jun. 07, 2024, 11:12 a.m.

~2 minutes

Former Ohio State coach and Fox analyst Urban Meyer during the first quarter on Oct. 21, 2023. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Alabama coach Nick Saban (right) and Florida coach Urban Meyer shake hands after their teams played in the SEC Championship Game on Dec. 6, 2008, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.(AP Photo/Dave Martin)

They both won college football national championships. They are both are among those on the ballot for the 2025 class of the College Football Hall of Fame.

But that is where the similarities end between Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, Paul Finebaum contends.

The SEC Network, who joined me on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 Thursday, let it be known Meyer is the “worst of everything.”

“One coach has won seven national championships and has been exemplary in everything that he’s done and stood for,” Finebaum said of the former Alabama coach. “He’s been someone who is a beacon for integrity.

Finebaum has a much different view of the former Florida and Ohio State coach.

“The other one is basically the worst of everything imaginable,” Finebaum said. “He has lied. He has misled. He has quit several different times to spend time with his family.

“I realize Urban Meyer has won three national championships, but, beyond that, it’s embarrassing for him to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Nick Saban.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I am no fan of Urban Meyer, but really?

Worse than Joe Paterno who covered up sexual abuse of children for decades? Worse than Art Briles who covered up the sexual assaults by his players?  Worse than Les Miles who covered up (and maybe promoted) sexual assault at LSU, and Will Wade who was caught buying basketball players? Rick Pitino who was caught screwing a waitress and endless NCAA violations? That maniac Woody Hayes?

The list could go on and on. Meyer is no gem and I certainly would not want him at Auburn, but there are many who have been much worse.

• Like 1