6.6.24 Football Articles

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn hosting four-star quarterback Helaman Casuga this week

Brian Hauch

~2 minutes

2026 four-star quarterback Helaman Casuga is set to stop by Auburn on an unofficial visit this week.

The Draper, Utah native may have a full year of high school left, but that hasn’t stopped many top programs from hosting the talented signal caller this summer. The top prospect is currently being hosted by a fellow Tiger program up north, Clemson, before he will travel down I-85 later this week to visit Auburn before departing for rival Alabama a day later.

The No. 14 ranked quarterback in the class hasn’t received an official offer from Auburn yet, but it would not be surprising if the Tigers extended one after the visit. Fellow SEC schools Texas A&M and Tennessee along with 14 other power conference programs have offered the 18-year-old.

Standing at 6-1, 200 pounds, Casuga is an intriguing dual-threat prospect that could offer an explosive element for Hugh Freeze he has not had at the quarterback position since he took over. Auburn’s continued interest in the Utah native could also depend on the development of freshman 4-star Walker White as the 2024-2025 season progresses.

Auburn’s 2026 recruiting class is still fairly barren with only two players committed. That could change as the summer rolls on.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

247sports.com

How impactful does Auburn need its transfers to be this season

Nathan King

14–18 minutes

The Tigers put together a solid crop of 14 pickups to fill gaps across the roster and put Auburn in a better spot depth-wise to compete in 2024

Auburn didn't need to make a ton of splashes in the transfer portal this year, but that's how Hugh Freeze wants to build his teams moving forward.

Instead, the Tigers put together a solid crop of 14 pickups to fill gaps across the roster and put Auburn in a better spot depth-wise to compete in 2024. So which new players need to provide the biggest impact for the Tigers to succeed? 

With most but not all portal movement settled across the country, Auburn's transfer class looks to be closing at No. 28 in 247Sports' rankings. Players are presented here in each category in order of overall transfer rating by 247Sports.

HIGH IMPACT NEEDED

WR KeAndre Lambert-Smith

Previous program: Penn State

247Sports portal ranking: No. 13 WR

What they add: The highest-rated transfer addition for the Tigers is a no-brainer in terms of his contributions for Auburn in 2024. Freeze's passing game needed another experienced piece to complement a star-studded freshman class, not to mention the two other transfer pickups from the pre-spring portal window. Lambert-Smith, who brings more than 1,700 career receiving yards and 11 touchdowns, was the No. 2-rated transfer receiver in the spring portal and one of the most sought-after offensive weapons on the market. The hope for Auburn is that he can at the very least be a consistent veteran for the younger receivers to follow — and at the most, be a leading pass-catcher, like he was for the Nittany Lions last season.

What they said: "You get a guy that has the experience that Dre has at the Power Five level to combine with those young kids I thought was a home run for us. He's quick twitch, he's long, he's got length to him. He's a natural ball-catcher, he's a 50-50 guy that can make contested catches, and he can make runs after the catch. I think he's a really complete guy." — Hugh Freeze

OT Percy Lewis

Previous program: Mississippi State

247Sports portal ranking: No. 8 OT

What they add: Left tackle became a question mark for Auburn's 2024 offensive line after the Tigers decided starter Dillon Wade would be better suited inside as a guard. There are some other capable tackles on the roster, and Lewis is far from guaranteed the starting job. But the 6-foot-8 transfer occupied the majority of first-team reps for the Tigers during spring practice after starting seven games at Mississippi State last season. One of the deeper offensive lines for Auburn in the past several seasons hopes it now has a reliable first option at an extremely important position, and all signs from spring practice pointed to that being the case.

What they said: "I mean, when I was at State I had different coaches every year. So like I said, with them coming in with a different coach I said I might as well go somewhere else and start off fresh with a better program. And I get a guy like (strength coach Dominic Studzinski) here, he trains and that'll help me be better at what I'm doing and what I need to do. My strengths and weaknesses, he can help me with it." — Lewis

WR Robert Lewis

Previous program: Georgia State

247Sports portal ranking: No. 39 WR

What they add: While not as flashy an offensive pickup as Lambert-Smith was, Lewis' career numbers are just as solid — more than 1,300 yards and 14 touchdowns — and he has the advantage of reporting in the spring and going through those practices. There, he developed a nice rapport with Payton Thorne, and the expectation is that Lewis will be Auburn's starting slot receiver. Especially with Jay Fair and Ja'Varrius Johnson's exits in the portal, Auburn is counting on Lewis to be a consistent weapon in the slot.

What they said: "I think he's our most polished receiver. He's a senior, fourth or fifth year, and he just has a lot of knowledge about the game. His passion shows with how much of a leader he is … I can ask Rob anything, and he'll have an answer for me as quick as coach (Marcus) Davis would." — WR Sam Jackson V

DT Philip Blidi

Previous program: Indiana

247Sports portal ranking: No. 29 DL

What they add: Auburn desperately needed playmakers along the defensive front to reload in 2024. And while Blidi may not be be a one-to-one replacement for first team All-SEC honoree Marcus Harris, Auburn sees the Indiana transfer in the same light as a versatile, potentially NFL-caliber player along the D-line.  Blidi's strength appears to be more as a pass-rusher; that's how he was able to do a lot of his damage for the Hoosiers in 2023. Blidi's overall pass-rushing grade, per PFF, was the best on Indiana's defense last season. With the Hoosiers last season, Blidi amassed 30 tackles and four tackles for loss while starting all 12 games.

S Jerrin Thompson

Previous program: Texas

247Sports portal ranking: No. 36 S

What they add: It took only a few days of spring practice for "Bug" Thompson to make his voice heard — literally. The Tigers not only needed starting-caliber defensive backs to replace Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett, but adding a veteran leader like Thompson in the process was an added bonus — especially considering how unproven most other spots are in Auburn's secondary. Now, getting Thompson to replicate the All-SEC contributions of a player like Simpson is a big ask. But Thompson at the very least becoming a starter is important for this defense in 2024 to alleviate pressure from the less experienced names.

What they said: "I might be a coach one day, so I take pride in teaching people. If I got it, why not give it out. So I feel like it's a good fit for me, especially being a person who understands the defense real well. It was good for me to come in and show the young guys and teaching them things they haven't known." — Thompson

DT Gage Keys

Previous program: Kansas

247Sports portal ranking: No. 50 DL

What they add: In much the same vein as Blidi, Keys was brought in to help Auburn's continued efforts to become a more dynamic and overwhelming defensive front to keep pace in the SEC. It's difficult to look at Keys' contributions as a Jayhawk and face value and believe he'd be expected to be an SEC starter, but there's a reason he immediately came in and grabbed first-team reps for Auburn in spring practice. At 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds, Keys has a strong blend of power and speed to play both interior D-line and some defensive end if needed.

What they said: "I feel like you have to go through failures at first to be able to get to a point where you know what you're doing and stuff. So last year, I think two years ago, that was kinda where I was at. At Minnesota it was like, okay, failing a little bit, getting to see what it's like playing. And then Kansas is like okay, I know what to do, I go do it, be very productive. And then coming here, it's like, okay, I'm going to have a bigger opportunity to have an even bigger role. And now, at this point, it's just capitalizing off of that, doing what I already know how to do and just applying it at an even higher level." — Keys

LB Dorian Mausi

Previous program: Duke

247Sports portal ranking: No. 38 LB

What they add: Especially with both Cam Riley and Wesley Steiner subtracting some depth and production from the linebacking corps by hitting the portal, bringing in an experienced transfer was crucial for the Tigers in 2024. Mausi posted 61 tackles for the Blue Devils last season, and he rounds out a nice trio at the position with Eugene Asante and Austin Keys. The Tigers were still angling for some more depth by pursuing other linebackers in the portal after spring practice, so Mausi's ability to occupy snaps and be productive will be key, as not to throw youngsters like Demarcus Riddick into the fire too quickly.

What they said: "After having a couple years of experience — this is my third defense, I believe, that I'm learning right now. For me, it's becoming really easy. I can tell the defense — if you're making plays, he's going to call your number. It's those types of things — it's player-friendly, I'll say it in that way. The defense, it is a little complicated. But (defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin) breaks it down and teaches it well enough for you to understand and be able to play fast." — Mausi

EDGE Keyron Crawford

Previous program: Arkansas State

247Sports portal ranking: No. 94 EDGE

What they add: Auburn's top returning sack-getter from last season is Jalen McLeod, who was a great pickup last year from the Power Five level, despite a couple nagging injuries. But Freeze admitted McLeod was on the field too often, and that the Tigers needed another go-to player on the edge to take some snaps. Crawford had 10.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks at Arkansas State last season, and Auburn thinks he can be a diamond in the rough in this year's transfer class. Again, in a comparable situation to linebacker, the Tigers have stellar young talent waiting in the wings, but an experienced piece like Crawford was needed to bridge the gap.

What they said: "Getting Crawford to come over to really give us another edge guy with (Jalen McLeod). J-Mac had to play too many snaps last year. And I think we've really added some depth there." — Freeze

MEDIUM IMPACT NEEDED

DT Trill Carter

Previous program: Texas

247Sports portal ranking: No. 56 DL

What they add: Production doesn't overflow from Carter's long career, but he has experience to spare, appearing in 46 games, including 33 starts at Minnesota, and a role for Texas during its Big 12 championship and College Football Playoff run last season. A native of Leesburg, Georgia, less than two hours from Auburn, Carter was looking to get back closer to home for his final college season, and his interests married with Auburn's desire to fill some gaps on the interior. Carter and Jayson Jones appeared to split nose-tackle reps fairly evenly in spring practice, so it will be interesting to see how the post-spring addition of USC transfer Isaiah Raikes shakes up that position group. 

What they said: "Being an older guy and being one of the most experienced guys on the defensive line, I feel like I've been fitting in pretty well. Teaching the young guys small things. Also having the young guys teach me stuff, because that's what it's all about. Just because you're an older guy doesn't mean you know everything." — Carter

DT Isaiah Raikes

Previous program: USC

247Sports portal ranking: No. 70 DL

What they add: While Raikes' previous school is technically USC, after he spent three months there in the spring, he played the past three seasons at Texas A&M, including the best year of his career in 2023 under Durkin. The 6-foot-2, 320-pound Raikes had 17 tackles, three tackles for loss and a strip-sack as a space-eater for the Aggies, being given the highest run-defense grade by PFF among Texas A&M's talented defensive line group. The fact that Auburn has two other experienced players like Jones and Carter — not to mention former JUCO addition Quientrail Jamison-Travis — is why Raikes is in our medium category. He could very well find himself in a major role for Auburn, but given the Tigers' depth at nose tackle, it's not a complete necessity.

WR Sam Jackson V

Previous program: Cal

247Sports portal ranking: No. 95 WR

What they add: One of the most intriguing transfers of the past few years for Auburn, Jackson started at quarterback for the Golden Bears last season, then went into the portal and pitched himself as a wide receiver, which he hasn't played since his sophomore year of high school. Still, Jackson garnered plenty of first-team reps in the spring, and his connection with Thorne didn't come as a big surprise after the QB used to throw Jackson passes as high-school teammates in Illinois. Even with the exciting additions of Lambert-Smith and freshmen like Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson, Jackson appears to be in a decent spot to contribute with some sort of role in 2024. 

What they said: "Obviously I had to sell myself to them (playing receiver). It's the SEC; they can get whoever they want. And it's Auburn. It's not any other school. The main thing was just me being prepared for that. I came off two injuries, and I was honestly kind of — not really shocked, but just surprised that it went so smoothly." — Jackson

LOW IMPACT NEEDED

TE Rico Walker

Previous program: Maryland

247Sports portal ranking: No. 13 TE

What they add: Auburn is overwhelmingly experienced at tight end, including a returning All-SEC pick in Rivaldo Fairweather, a sixth-year senior in Luke Deal, a fifth-year senior in Brandon Frazier, and a redshirt sophomore still looking to break out in Micah Riley. Simply put, Walker was more of a stash-away addition in the portal, since position coach Ben Aigauama did not sign a high-school tight end in either of the last two recruiting classes. A former 4-star prospect dripping with athleticism, Walker has the markings of a Fairweather-type player for Auburn in the future. For now, a redshirt may be in store for the sophomore. 

What they said: "Right now I'm really just learning and trying to figure out the best way I can be used on the field. Having those guys in front of me and just learning from them is a good thing." — Walker

CB Antonio Kite

Previous program: Alabama 

247Sports portal ranking: No. 31 CB

What they add: With former Alabama assistant Charles Kelly now back at his alma mater, Auburn added Kite in the transfer portal, building up the depth of its cornerback room with another young and talented piece. While Kite made some nice strides for Auburn in the spring — and there is some playing time up for grabs after Colton Hood and J.D. Rhym both transferred out — Auburn has other options at corner such as Jay Crawford and JC Hart. That's not to say Kite can't play right away with his new team, though.

What they said: "Antonio, he's extremely talented. Natural movement and cover skills for a corner. I think Antonio, he's going to keep building his confidence. I see so much in him that maybe he doesn't always show outwardly that he sees in himself. He has a chance to be a really good player for us. He'll help us." — CB coach Wesley McGriff

Top Auburn target to announce on July 29

Anquon Fegans will announce his decision later this summer.

Auburn will have its annual Big Cat on July 27 and two days later one of the top targets on the board for the Tigers will make his announcement with 4-star safety Anquon Fegans setting a commitment date for that day. The Thompson High standout will choose between Auburn, Clemson, Georgia and LSU as he looks for his future home.

Ranked as the No. 43 player in the country according to the 247Sports composite rankings, Fegans is the number four safety in the country and has offers from nearly every top program from coast to coast.

A big part of Fegans' recruitment is first-year assistant Charles Kelly. Recruiting both of his older brothers with Antwon Fegans Jr. currently at Auburn as a walk-0n, Kelly has a strong bond with the family. Along with his history of developing guys and getting them to the next level, he said this spring that was a big deal for him.

"It is because if you go back and look at his track record, he's had a lot of guys," Fegans said of Kelly's coaching background. "A lot of them. That's a big deal."

Fegans is scheduled to take official visits to Clemson, Georgia, Miami and Washington in June. He's also scheduled to be at Big Cat Weekend at Auburn.

Posted (edited)
  • Auburn target to announce on July 29

Anquon Fegans will announce his decision later this summer.

Auburn will have its annual Big Cat on July 27 and two days later one of the top targets on the board for the Tigers will make his announcement with 4-star safety Anquon Fegans setting a commitment date for that day. The Thompson High standout will choose between Auburn, Clemson, Georgia and LSU as he looks for his future home.

Ranked as the No. 43 player in the country according to the 247Sports composite rankings, Fegans is the number four safety in the country and has offers from nearly every top program from coast to coast.

A big part of Fegans' recruitment is first-year assistant Charles Kelly. Recruiting both of his older brothers with Antwon Fegans Jr. currently at Auburn as a walk-0n, Kelly has a strong bond with the family. Along with his history of developing guys and getting them to the next level, he said this spring that was a big deal for him.

it is because if you go back and look at his track record, he's had a lot of guys," Fegans said of Kelly's coaching background. "A lot of them. That's a big deal."

Fegans is scheduled to take official visits to Clemson, Georgia, Miami and Washington in June. He's also scheduled to be at Big Cat Weekend at Auburn.

Edited by aubiefifty

sorry about the above post it would not clear editor nor let me do plain text.weird and yes i have a buzz...........

Auburn provides an ‘eye-opening’ experience for Miami commit Elijah Melendez

Tyler Raley

Tue, June 4, 2024 at 5:00 PM CDT·1 min read

The race continues on for many of the nation’s top football recruits as numerous official visits were taken over the weekend. Auburn hosted multiple notable players, trying to make statements that will help head coach Hugh Freeze turn his program around.

One of the players that visited is current Miami commit and four-star linebacker Elijah Melendez, who has been committed since December, but is still making visits to other schools.

The Osceola High School (Florida) product made the trip to the Plains joined by his older brother, who felt the same positive sentiment on about the visit.

Melendez has a special feeling about the relationship that he is building with both Freeze and defensive coordinator DJ Durkin. The trust is there, and that is important for what he wants as a player.

“Just being around the staff, Coach (DJ) Durkin and Coach Hugh Freeze,” Melendez said in an interview with Auburn Live. “Just building better bonds with them and seeing their plans for me here and being able to trust them. They gained a lot of trust with me this weekend and that really helps a lot.”

The Miami commit is ranked No. 169 in the class of 2025 and the No. 20 linebacker according to the On3 industry ranking. He is also ranked the No. 24 player in the state of Florida.

A flip from Melendez would be a big turn of events for the Auburn. Should he commit, he would join a stout defensive class that already includes four-star linebacker Tyler Lockhart, along with fellow Florida native in cornerback Dante Core.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Tyler on Twitter @traley34

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

Auburn’s use of tight ends sparks four-star Emaree Winston’s interest in Auburn

Brian Hauch

Tue, June 4, 2024 at 9:00 AM CDT·1 min read

Emaree Winston, a 2025 four-star tight end, visited Auburn last week and left with a good impression.

The Texas commit, who hadn’t visited the Plains since middle school, explained his re-kindled relationship with the Auburn staff, including tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua, in an interview with Auburn Undercover.

“We had never talked. Now we talk every day. I wake up and I get a Bible verse every morning. My mom loves that, I love it,” Winston said. “That means a lot because at the end of the day God comes first, and he’s putting that first.”

The Calhoun, Georgia native originally made his decision to commit to Texas because of the way the Longhorns used tight ends in the passing game. While Winston originally didn’t see that same kind of tight end development when looking at Auburn, his opinion changed last season with the emergence of Rivaldo Fairweather. It also helps that his hometown is much closer to Auburn than Austin, Texas.

“When I first made my decision, it was towards the development of the tight ends. A couple of years ago they didn’t really use them,” Winston said of Auburn’s use of tight ends. “and (Auburn is) two hours from my house.”

With Winston already verbally committed to an SEC rival, it may be tough for Hugh Freeze and the Auburn staff to flip him in time for signing day later this year. However, it does seem like the four-star is more open to weighing his options than he was prior to his visit.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

Former Auburn commit Kalen Edwards plans to visit the Plains more

Brian Hauch

Tue, June 4, 2024 at 2:00 PM CDT·1 min read

2025 defensive lineman recruitKalen Edwards was once committed to become an Auburn Tiger, but backed off his promise following defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett’s departure for the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.

Although the 6-4, 330-pound lineman is no longer committed to Auburn, he did have the chance to visit the Plains recently. The Tennessee native reportedly enjoyed his time with new defensive line coach Vontrell King-Williams. The new relationship has caused Edwards to have second thoughts, which will lead to more visits in the future.

If Edwards were to come back to the Tigers, Hugh Freeze would be securing the talents of the No. 38 ranked defensive lineman in the 2025 class. Edwards is also the No. 11 ranked player out of the “Volunteer State.”

Auburn isn’t the only program vying for his talents however, as Edwards has visits to Louisville, Memphis, and Georgia lined up in the near future. The high schoolers decision could come after the trio of visits.

“I really don’t know for sure. I’m going on the rest of my OV’s just to see,” Edwards said in an interview with On3. “Auburn is in the back of my head for sure.”

Auburn football is a ‘top three’ choice for five-star EDGE Anthony Jones

Taylor Jones

Tue, June 4, 2024 at 6:00 AM CDT·1 min read

Auburn football has been on a tear lately on the recruiting trail and is making an impression on another top prospect.

Anthony Jones, a 2026 five-star EDGE from St. Paul’s Episcopal in Mobile, visited Auburn last Saturday before competing in a camp with his high school on Sunday. While on the Plains, Jones spent time with defensive line coach Josh Aldridge and learned several new techniques.

“It was good, I feel like (Aldridge) taught me some stuff,” Jones said in an interview with On3. “I really liked it because we got closer. The relationship is getting closer.”

Several power programs across the south have reached out to Jones including LSU, Georgia, Florida State, and Alabama. Auburn made quite an impression on Jones, as he tells On3 that the Tigers are now in his “top three” college choices, and that he plans to visit again for Big Cat Weekend in late July.

Jones is the No. 8 overall recruit from the 2026 class according to On3’s Industry Ranking, and is the top recruit from Alabama according to all major recruiting outlets. Alabama has a slight edge over Auburn as the current favorite to secure Jones’s signature, with LSU and Georgia next in line.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

15 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

How many times do we need to be reminded that scheduling a cupcake for homecoming isn’t necessarily a thing outside of the state of Alabama? 🙄