Malveauxs named co-HCs for Softball

23 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Coach Kate Malveaux just posted in last 30 minutes a WDE which recently indicated a new player joining the team.  

Do we have any idea who it is?👀

13 minutes ago, WDE1976 said:

Not going to lie, it’s a little disappointing. A pinch runner from Ole Miss doesn't exactly fill a need.

I'm open to any help and additions that we can get to the team. She has a relationship with 2 of our new coaches, so maybe they know more about her potential. I just hope we can get another pitcher. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TD1 said:

I'm open to any help and additions that we can get to the team. She has a relationship with 2 of our new coaches, so maybe they know more about her potential. I just hope we can get another pitcher. 

Another pitcher and a reliable bat (or two) would do this team a lot of good. Womack pushes the roster total to 21. For comparison, Arkansas already has 24 and Texas A&M has more than that. So I hope they continue to push in the portal. Womack played travel ball with Alana Johnson (Washington transfer) and appear to be good friends, but Johnson just visited Alabama. Maybe she’ll consider joining Womack though. 

12.5% of Womack's ABs resulted in a home run.  That number is 3% for the 2024 roster.  She also had .5 RBIs/AB, compared to .15 for our 2024 team.

The more I learn about this staff, the more I like the hire.  Cohen is a high-level baseball guy.   He cares deeply about softballs well.  I feel certain he spent many hours getting this one right.  

6 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

12.5% of Womack's ABs resulted in a home run.  That number is 3% for the 2024 roster.  She also had .5 RBIs/AB, compared to .15 for our 2024 team.

Well she only had 8 ABs the whole season… and 3 of her 8 ABs were strikeouts. She was highly touted out of HS, but I still hope the Malveaux’s continue to push in the portal, preferably ones with more experience.

2 hours ago, WDE1976 said:

Not going to lie, it’s a little disappointing. A pinch runner from Ole Miss doesn't exactly fill a need. 

Our daughter wasn’t part of a high-powered travel ball team, but she did attend a couple of Auburn camps. Coach Myers recognized her potential and made her an offer. He emphasized that he was looking for athletes, and she blossomed into an outstanding player. Maybe the Malveauxes are taking a similar approach? Recruiting athletes that they can develop. Excited for the team and looking forward to cheering them on!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUSBFAN said:

Our daughter wasn’t part of a high-powered travel ball team, but she did attend a couple of Auburn camps. Coach Myers recognized her potential and made her an offer. He emphasized that he was looking for athletes, and she blossomed into an outstanding player. Maybe the Malveauxes are taking a similar approach? Recruiting athletes that they can develop. Excited for the team and looking forward to cheering them on!

I hope you are right. And I will be cheering her and the team on no matter what! However, this is a different age of softball we are living in. We’ve seen ridiculous success across the country where transfers have played only a year or two at a program. You have to adapt to the game as it goes along. I mean we hired DJ Sanders, a walking example of how successful a junior/senior transfer can be. 

54 minutes ago, WDE1976 said:

I hope you are right. And I will be cheering her and the team on no matter what! However, this is a different age of softball we are living in. We’ve seen ridiculous success across the country where transfers have played only a year or two at a program. You have to adapt to the game as it goes along. I mean we hired DJ Sanders, a walking example of how successful a junior/senior transfer can be. 

I am no fan of the transfer portal. It has absolutely changed how “the game” is played. Though I don’t like it, you make some valid points. 

And in case it was not clear, our daughter graduated several years ago. She played for both Coach Myers and Dean. And though it was quite a challenge to adapt to the coaching change, she stayed at Auburn. I believe the transfer rules were a bit different when she played, but regardless, she stayed the program she originally committed to. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUSBFAN said:

I am no fan of the transfer portal. It has absolutely changed how “the game” is played. Though I don’t like it, you make some valid points. 

And in case it was not clear, our daughter graduated several years ago. She played for both Coach Myers and Dean. And though it was quite a challenge to adapt to the coaching change, she stayed at Auburn. I believe the transfer rules were a bit different when she played, but regardless, she stayed the program she originally committed to. 

I’m not a huge fan of the transfer portal. But I do feel as if you have to use it in order to have success in this era of softball. It just doesn’t make sense to recruit a bench player at a lower SEC team rather than a starter at a power 5. I’m hoping for the best though. I’m glad your daughter chose auburn!! War eagle!