Kenny Gajewski targeted by Auburn, but will stay put

al.com

Report: Oklahoma State softball’s Kenny Gajewski targeted by Auburn, but will stay put

Published: Jun. 03, 2024, 6:33 p.m.

2–3 minutes

From the sounds of it, a big name in the college softball world can be crossed off the list of possible candidates to take the reins of the Auburn softball program.

Oklahoma State’s Kenny Gajewski was targeted by Auburn, but has decided to stay put in Stillwater after considering the position, Ryan Breeden of the Stillwater News Press reported Monday evening.

News of Gajewski’s plan stay at Oklahoma State comes just days after he and the Cowgirls’ 2024 season ended in Oklahoma City after suffering an 8-0 loss to Stanford on Friday. This year’s Women’s College World Series berth was the fifth consecutive for Gajewski and the Cowgirls.

With an overall head coaching record of 414-149 in his nine seasons at Oklahoma State, Gajewski would’ve been a big hire for the Auburn Tigers, who have yet to name Mickey Dean’s replacement after he announced in March his intentions to retire at the end of the 2024 season.

Ironically, Auburn athletic director John Cohen was asked about the coaching search Monday morning.

“I feel more of an urgency to get it right than to do it quickly,” Auburn athletic director John Cohen said when asked about the coaching vacancy at an APSE region meeting on Monday morning. “I’m looking for the right people in place. That’s really important to us.”

Cohen went on to hint that an announcement could be coming soon.

“I do feel like we’re fairly close to having a decision made,” Cohen said.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Would have been a nice pickup, but I'm not shocked. If they build him the stadium they're promising (Cowgirl stadium holds 750), he should ride it out in Stillwater.

Looking at his comp of $120K + $84K bonus, he seems like he would be susceptible to a raise like we're throwing around. His contract was extended to 2027, so this would be one of the smaller buyouts. I'm not a SME on D1 Softball Financials, but there could also be donor money that is not public record.

Next!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

Would have been a nice pickup, but I'm not shocked. If they build him the stadium they're promising (Cowgirl stadium holds 750), he should ride it out in Stillwater.

Looking at his comp of $120K + $84K bonus, he seems like he would be susceptible to a raise like we're throwing around. His contract was extended to 2027, so this would be one of the smaller buyouts. I'm not a SME on D1 Softball Financials, but there could also be donor money that is not public record.

Next!

man if that coaches son had kept it in his pants we would have been on top of the world. now i love women as much as any red blooded american male but he came real close to breaking my heart but i am AUBURN TOUGH! dirt are you a race fan? just curious.

1 hour ago, RedDirtFan said:

Next!

May 8, 2024 · 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Championship, Saturday. 6:30 p.m. At a current $550,000, and with a contract that extends through the spring of 2027, the 52-year-old Gajewski certainly is well...

(not able to see rest of article unless subscribe)  

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

May 8, 2024 · 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Championship, Saturday. 6:30 p.m. At a current $550,000, and with a contract that extends through the spring of 2027, the 52-year-old Gajewski certainly is well...

(not able to see rest of article unless subscribe)  

I saw that, but his contract reads $120K per year:

No Paywall: https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/gajewski-given-5-year-extension/article_38e625c6-009c-11e8-ba5d-53aad743a0ae.html

ARTICLE VI - COMPENSATION

4.01 Compensation
(a) The compensation paid by University ot Employee for services and satisfactory performance of the conditions of this Contract shall be at the annual salary rate of $120,000 per annum, prorated for partial years, payable in monthly installments out of legally available funds by University to Employee on the last day of each calendar month during the term of this Contract.

I commented about this on May 28 under topic "Mickey Dean Era Officially Ends".  Doing a search there were many references to the contract regarding the base of $120K plus "additional compensation" which appears to be "older" info as per the 2018 article referenced in your post vs the later reference of May 8, 2024.  When I saw that $120K plus additional compensation and looked at his body of work I had to ask myself why no one had come in and swooped him up.  The $550K plus promised upgrades certainly makes it more difficult.  At least we know the AD is seriously looking and swinging for the fences.  If I assume Gajewsky was the #1 choice then we are now moving down the list; hopefully not too far down.  RedDirt, your earlier comment regarding donor money could also be a factor.

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I commented about this on May 28 under topic "Mickey Dean Era Officially Ends".  Doing a search there were many references to the contract regarding the base of $120K plus "additional compensation" which appears to be "older" info as per the 2018 article referenced in your post vs the later reference of May 8, 2024.  When I saw that $120K plus additional compensation and looked at his body of work I had to ask myself why no one had come in and swooped him up.  The $550K plus promised upgrades certainly makes it more difficult.  At least we know the AD is seriously looking and swinging for the fences.  If I assume Gajewsky was the #1 choice then we are now moving down the list; hopefully not too far down.  RedDirt, your earlier comment regarding donor money could also be a factor.

And it begins. We are now seeing the impact of nil, paying players, and who has the best offers. It puts current and future coaching searches on difficult grounds. 
Without big incentives why would anyone leave where they are at especially within the big conferences?

college (now minor league, semi pro) sports is a big mess.