Pride Month?

Meh. It’s an appeal to faith with a strawman to cap it off. 

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

We spent a few hundred years trying to shun and kill off homosexuals.  The fact that there have been homosexuals in the world from the beginning of recorded history should be a clue that their existence is not some unnatural affliction, but instead is a manifestation of a constant state of being within the human race.  Making men and women who happen to be gay feel shamed and live in the shadows has accomplished nothing, other than for families to become estranged from their children, siblings and others and experience the grief of losing them to suicide and a life filled with unwarranted depression. 

A nation that claims to be the home of the free should, at the very least, acknowledge that being free must mean more than to be free to live like you and me.  It should mean freedom from persecution and judgment  based solely on who someone loves or chooses to have sex with in their personal lives.    I will be he first to admit that some of the Pride parades seem over the top and at times going to the extent of being vulgar.  Others, I am certain, are more about statements of inclusion. Nonetheless, there are large portions of the gay community that have been forced to find others that they can relate to in order to have a sense of family. That is the fault of a society that spent so many decades not providing the support from their own families and communities that they deserved as much as any other human being. 

If someone believes this is a sign or moral decay in America, they aren't looking for the real moral decay, but instead are choosing to practice selective moral outrage.  Every family has that uncle or aunt that never married, the cousin that they don't hear from any more or the child that moved from their small hometown and hasn't been home in years.  Love them and stop making them carry the guilt they don't deserve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I’m not a fan of identity flags and pride month has become a largely corporate exercise, but gay folks are God’s children, citizens with rights and our friends, neighbors and likely part of our families. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We spent a few hundred years trying to shun and kill off homosexuals.  The fact that there have been homosexuals in the world from the beginning of recorded history should be a clue that their existence is not some unnatural affliction, but instead is a manifestation of a constant state of being within the human race.  Making men and women who happen to be gay feel shamed and live in the shadows has accomplished nothing, other than for families to become estranged from their children, siblings and others and experience the grief of losing them to suicide and a life filled with unwarranted depression. 

A nation that claims to be the home of the free should, at the very least, acknowledge that being free must mean more than to be free to live like you and me.  It should mean freedom from persecution and judgment  based solely on who someone loves or chooses to have sex with in their personal lives.    I will be he first to admit that some of the Pride parades seem over the top and at times going to the extent of being vulgar.  Others, I am certain, are more about statements of inclusion. Nonetheless, there are large portions of the gay community that have been forced to find others that they can relate to in order to have a sense of family. That is the fault of a society that spent so many decades not providing the support from their own families and communities that they deserved as much as any other human being. 

If someone believes this is a sign or moral decay in America, they aren't looking for the real moral decay, but instead are choosing to practice selective moral outrage.  Every family has that uncle or aunt that never married, the cousin that they don't hear from any more or the child that moved from their small hometown and hasn't been home in years.  Love them and stop making them carry the guilt they don't deserve.

Pretty much all that 10x

• Like 1

Interesting that the Bible mentions fornication, adultery, lust, and homosexuality as sins, while teaching that all sin is equal in separating us from God. But for some reason the homosexuals catch a lot more hate and scorn from the religious community than the other categories. 

• Like 1

i take up gays because i still remember the young teen who was murdered out west and hung for barbed wire. it was stupid and hateful. i do not care for the dangly bits because i have my own but they are human beings made by god and they deserve to be treated with respect they also deserve human rights as well. the constitution says we areall equal under god but some folks would take those rights away and try to send them to camps or just plain ol killing them.

59 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Interesting that the Bible mentions fornication, adultery, lust, and homosexuality as sins, while teaching that all sin is equal in separating us from God. But for some reason the homosexuals catch a lot more hate and scorn from the religious community than the other categories. 

They are vigorously defending those others you mentioned.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

..."for some reason" ?    ;D  :laugh:

• Like 1

“Homosexuality” is a construct that denies people’s humanity

Andrew T. Walker

Andrew is the managing editor of WORLD Opinions and serves as associate professor of Christian ethics at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is also a fellow with The Ethics and Public Policy Center.

:no:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If the church pushed everyone away that fornicated, committed adultery or any of the other sins, there wouldn't be enough people to pay the pastor.  However, picking on someone that is different from the majority is much easier.  For someone that is straight, it is very easy to push back against what isn't understood.  It becomes much more difficult for people when they are forced to question the importance of that belief.

There are lots of gay people in the most conservative churches across the country.  As long as they don't admit to being gay, others simply ignore it and pretend that it isn't the case. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Here let me help:

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” is a verse from the Bible, Romans 3:23, that expresses the idea that all people are equally deserving of God's wrath for their sins and fall short of God's glorious standard. The verse's context also suggests that all people who are justified are justified through Jesus Christ."

Issue: There is no Hierarchy of sin. All Sin makes us fall short of the "God Standard." ALL SIN.

That means smoking, gluttony, Pride, lust (all lust, hetero and homo), thieving, double-dealing with others, killing, stealing, those that do not honor their mother and father, etc, etc, etc. 

ALL SIN. Gluttony and Sloth, being drunk/fat and lazy are on the list. Even anger makes the list. Guess what. I bet that covers just about everybody, everywhere, for all time. Those trying to make homosexuality more than what it is are just covering or denying their own sins. I know mine, they are more than enough to keep me humble.

Seven deadly sins, in Roman Catholic theology, the seven vices that spur other sins and further immoral behaviour. First enumerated by Pope Gregory I (the Great) in the 6th century and elaborated in the 13th century by St. Thomas Aquinas, they are (1) vainglory, or pride, (2) greed, or covetousness, (3) lust, or inordinate or illicit sexual desire, (4) envy, (5) gluttony, which is usually understood to include drunkenness, (6) wrath, or anger, and (7) sloth. Each of these can be overcome with the seven heavenly virtues of (1) humility, (2) charity, (3) chastity, (4) gratitude, (5) temperance, (6) patience, and (7) diligence.

The seven deadly sins can be thought of as dispositions toward sin and separation from God. Lust, for example, could result in adultery, which is a mortal sin, or could lead to somewhat less intentional immoral thoughts that would be classified as venial sins. The deadly sins were a popular theme in the morality plays, literature, and art of the Middle Ages in Europe.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 3

Others have astutely noted why the Biblical concerns don't hold up, but the real issue is sexuality and gender shouldn't be political at all. This discussion should feel out of place on a political forum. Instead, you can't read one thread on here without someone making a flippant comment about gay and transgender people. 

The party of "limited government" should understand that politicians have no place in the bedroom. Instead, they are obsessed with it. Because they know it's red meat for their supporters. Your average conservative cares more about gay and transgender issues than healthcare, infrastructure, climate change, and a thousand other more important topics. Why is that? Is it simply Christian fundamentalism? I honestly don't understand why they care so much. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

Pride Month.  Time for these boys to shine.

IMG_3926.png

Looks like a tailgate party in Tuscaloosa.  LOL

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Others have astutely noted why the Biblical concerns don't hold up, but the real issue is sexuality and gender shouldn't be political at all. This discussion should feel out of place on a political forum. Instead, you can't read one thread on here without someone making a flippant comment about gay and transgender people. 

The party of "limited government" should understand that politicians have no place in the bedroom. Instead, they are obsessed with it. Because they know it's red meat for their supporters. Your average conservative cares more about gay and transgender issues than healthcare, infrastructure, climate change, and a thousand other more important topics. Why is that? Is it simply Christian fundamentalism? I honestly don't understand why they care so much. 

King James redid the bible and he had gay lovers. and he had gods authority to do some from what i have heard over the years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Of the 274 real problems  this country has right now, I’m not sure why this even gets  a thread.  In 2024 is this even a subject? I mean really - why?

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Of the 274 real problems  this country has right now, I’m not sure why this even gets  a thread.  In 2024 is this even a subject? I mean really - why?

We are going back in time. Just look at women's rights. This is not how a normal society is supposed to progress. 

There are tons of amazing, intelligent, kind Christians in this country. I personally know many of them. But we are all being held hostage by the fundamentalists, who don't like anyone or anything that doesn't perfectly fit in their small world. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

King James redid the bible and he had gay lovers. and he had gods authority to do some from what i have heard over the years.

Oh yeah fiddy. God allowed King James to have gay lovers.  You are one sick dude.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

It's pick and choose, from a book that was written centuries ago by humans. 

I've seen it work the way it's supposed to and it's beautiful. Christian friends who help the poor, spread kindness, and build up communities. 

On the other hand, we have the so-called Christians who hate and condemn everything. They'd sooner spit on a homeless person than give him a few bucks. They ignore their own sins to focus on others'. Nothing but hate, while they worship Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Oh yeah fiddy. God allowed King James to have gay lovers.  You are one sick dude.

King James commissioned the Bible to English. And he had multiple gay relationships. Does that bother you?

34 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I counted 277, but there’s probably overlap.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It’s not a king James issue exactly. Ancient Greek (which is the entire New Testament’s original text) has no word for homosexual. All translations were/are forced to use conjecture and context. 

https://www.crossway.org/articles/what-does-arsenokoitai-mean/

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

maybe so jj but one thing i can say is i never stooped low enough to vote for a piece of crap like trump. if you think YOU hurt my feelings you would be dead wrong. be glad trump did not grab some of YOUR female relatives by the cooter. how much money did you send him after the verdict? king james did redo the bible abd he did have gay lovers and it seems the lord did not care. try harder if you want to get to me.