6.3.24 Football Football

al.com

Observations and honest truth from SEC spring meetings

Updated: Jun. 02, 2024, 10:24 a.m.|Published: Jun. 02, 2024, 5:56 a.m.

7–9 minutes

Alabama AD Greg Byrne meets with reporters at the 2024 SEC spring meetings in Destin.Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

By

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Can we be honest for a minute?

While nobody ever accused those in my profession of tangible intelligence, I left this week’s SEC spring meetings in a weird place.

Confused, even.

The myriad of issues spiderwebbing from the ongoing legal settlement involving athlete compensation is enough to jam up a lawyer. We’re talking about the intersection of anti-trust law, safe harbors, Title IX, collective bargaining, and every other big word on this side of interception and touchdown.

Don’t take it just from me.

“There were a bunch of questions coming in,” Tennessee football coach Josh Heupel said. “Probably more coming out of it.”

We’re talking dense and frankly boring stuff.

The issue most concerning to SEC football coaches not trending their way

Casagrande: A striking new day for the SEC summed up in one moment

Cutting sports to cover athlete pay is last resort, Alabama AD says

It’s not really the kind of thing that interests sports fans, but it is foundational to the uniquely American phenomenon that is the collegiate sporting model.

We’re talking major shifts in structure and execution—the kind you’ll be able to see, unlike with some other changes.

Distilling this whole puzzle into a readable, understandable, bite-sized form is the challenge. That’s true for a few reasons.

The House vs NCAA settlement isn’t yet a public document. There have been leaks with broad strokes of what it contains but not enough for anyone outside the negotiations to understand fully.

Everyone has an angle.

Competing interests are scrapping for the inside track; however, the dust settles, so the people with the information are already in spin mode.

First, for some background.

The SEC spring meetings are this annual rite of, well, summer, as league officials, coaches and administrators hole up in a Destin resort to discuss the business of the times. In the past, they’ve tackled relatively mundane issues like scholarship over-signing, satellite camps, cost-of-attendance scholarships and court storming.

“It’s pretty nice when you’re just talking about eight or nine conference games or cream cheese on bagels, right?” Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne said after emerging from a few hours of meetings Wednesday, referencing the headlining battle of the 2023 SEC spring meetings. “There are obviously much more significant items now that need to be discussed and that’s what we’re doing.”

To be clear, while reporters are in Destin covering the meetings, we are not physically in the meeting rooms. Most days there are spent loitering in lobbies, waiting for coaches and administrators to exit. Those with something to say will stop for interviews.

Florida AD Scott Stricklin spent at least 45 minutes in a press scrum giving his perspective on the complicated matters.

At the end of each day, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey gives a press briefing of 30-40 minutes, during which carefully selected words convey the league’s message on legislative matters ranging from conference bylaws to laws they’d like to see passed by the United States Congress.

Separating fact from spin is more challenging than normal when so much of the baseline material remains not just confidential, but incredibly complex and confusing.

See Heupel’s quote above.

Understanding where everyone stands is important for context when reading any story, digesting any quote from someone at these meetings or involved in these processes.

Schools and administrators are entering the athlete compensation era not because they want it but because it is now legally required.

Administrators want you to know (or think) that this new financial burden will be monumental to overcome. According to the reporting, schools will be able to spend up to 22% of their annual revenue under the settlement’s known parameters.

Athletic departments are designed to spend as much of their revenues as possible already. Those revenues are set to jump next year with an expanded College Football Playoff and the SEC’s new television deal with ESPN. Alabama’s Byrne said it’s not as simple as adding those new chunks of income and subtracting the new athlete compensation. And while I’m not the accountant in this household, I’d be interested in a deep dive with these schools to see how balance sheets shake out in this new reality.

The House vs. NCAA settlement isn’t the silver bullet to pull college sports out of the quagmire. They’ll still need more legal protection to shield itself from the peril of lawsuits. That’s where anti-trust exemptions, safe harbors, and the begging in Washington come in. Nobody sounds optimistic for a law to pass the legislative and executive branches of our federal government in an election year.

The November balloting will go a long way toward determining the balance of power here, too. A Republican majority and White House would be more favorable for college administrators, while Democratic wins would likely be more favorable for athletes.

Questions about how the new pool of money for athletes will be distributed.

Roster sizes could shift here too. The idea of football walk-ons is up for discussion and coaches aren’t ready to trim rosters of up to 120 players down to 85.

We’ve made it this far without talking about NIL and the collectives that become the unintended consequence of the concept. But that’s all part of this. Who knows that means, though. “If anybody tells you they know exactly what’s going to come of the collectives, they’re a lot smarter than I am,” Byrne said, “which isn’t saying much but when you read the settlement, there’s going to be potential governance of fair market value and that could impact what collectives do. I can’t sit here and tell you where that will end up but I do think you at least need to be paying attention to it.”

School administrators oppose collective bargaining entering the revenue-sharing space and are even less interested in athletes getting employee status. “To have collective bargaining, you have to be in an employment situation,” SEC commish Sankey said. “I haven’t had a student-athlete come to me and say they want to be taxed like an employee.” Athletes, to be clear, are already taxed on their NIL earnings.

Everyone has an angle, again.

We could go on and on all day with how one thing leads to another but you shouldn’t be punished further for reading this far as a smooth-brained sports writer tries to explain smart-guy stuff instead of depth charts and box scores.

But the bigger point is worth noting: These are tricky and confusing times and everyone is jockeying to have their interest win the day.

More will come into focus as the summer drags on and we get closer to playing games on the field instead of in beachside boardrooms.

Keep your head on a swivel, and we’ll do our best to cut through the spin and keep you conscious because these are crucial times in our grand experiment of intercollegiate athletics.

Confused yet?

Michael Casagrande is a reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @ByCasagrande or on Facebook.

al.com

Carlton Davis: ‘Haven’t been this excited since 2020’

Updated: Jun. 02, 2024, 8:10 a.m.|Published: Jun. 02, 2024, 8:00 a.m.

5–6 minutes

Sports

Lions cornerback Carlton Davis: ‘Haven’t been this excited since 2020, when I won the Super Bowl’

Detroit Lions cornerback Carlton Davis III (23) runs a drill during an NFL football practice in Allen Park, Mich., Thursday, May 23, 2024. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)AP

By

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Cornerback Carlton Davis’ six seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers included a victory in Super Bowl LV. The former Auburn standout has that championship feeling again for 2024, but not with the Bucs.

“I’m really excited about the personnel, the coaches, the environment,” Davis said about his new NFL team, the Detroit Lions. “Haven’t been this excited since 2020, when I won the Super Bowl. So much talent on this team. A really competitive environment. And so far, it’s been really good.”

The Lions traded a third-round draft choice for Davis and two sixth-round picks in March. The trade was a “shock” for Davis, but earlier in his career, it would have felt like an exile.

Calvin Ridley sees some Julio Jones in Tennessee teammate

Kool-Aid McKinstry signs his first NFL contract

Former Alabama prep star on big-money deal: ‘It’s just the beginning’

“I had played the Lions maybe three times before, and I would come into the stadium and it would be like no energy,” Davis said. “The third quarter, I was probably on the bench or something. And that first time when we played them in Tampa Bay (in 2023), it was a different energy, a different team, you could tell. They really play with that grit mentality. But it’s preached here every day. (Coach) Dan (Campbell) talks about it every day. And in the playoffs, the home crowd was crazy. …

“It was definitely something to look forward to, knowing the grit that they had. Even when we played them in the playoffs -- both times actually – it was like you could tell it was a different Detroit team that season, and something to really be excited about knowing is this team has longed for a Super Bowl for so long and we have a chance to do it this year.”

The Lions defeated Tampa Bay 20-6 on Oct. 15 and 31-23 in the playoffs on Jan. 21. After defeating the Buccaneers in the postseason, Detroit lost to the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 in the NFC Championship Game.

Detroit did not re-sign its top two corners from last season – Cameron Sutton and Jerry Jacobs – after the Lions yielded 4,205 passing yards, the sixth-most in the NFL in 2024.

In addition to trading for Davis in March, Detroit signed cornerback Amik Robertson as a free agent after he started 12 games for the Las Vegas Raiders last season, then used its first two draft picks on cornerbacks in April, taking Alabama’s Terrion Arnold at No. 24 and Missouri’s Ennis Rakestraw Jr. at No. 61.

They join holdovers Kindle Vildor and Khalil Dorsey, who started two games apiece last season, and former Alabama standout Brian Branch, back for a second season after excelling in multiple roles, including slot corner, for the Lions as a rookie.

“Always makes everybody better,” Davis said of the competition for playing time at cornerback. “The cream always rises to the top no matter what. And it’s great competition. That’s what we want. We play football, we play a competitive sport and we want to push each other. We want great competition in there. We want to become the best versions of ourselves, so it’s exciting.”

Davis has a clear vision of why Detroit traded for him, though.

“I’m about to lock some No. 1 receivers up,” Davis said. “Get my hands on some balls, get the ball back to our offense and play physical and bring the energy.”

As a veteran of 85 NFL games, Davis said he’s glad to share his experience with the Lions’ young cornerbacks, including Arnold, Detroit’s first-rounder from the other side of the Iron Bowl rivalry.

“I love teaching,” Davis said. “I love giving the knowledge I have. I can’t keep it forever. I might as well pass it along. I would love just to see (Arnold) grow as a player. He’s got so much talent, and he hasn’t been out there too much, but you can just tell by moving around and his charisma and his confidence that he has the tools to be a great player, so I want to help him reach that goal. …

“I’m happy to be the vet. I’m happy to come in here and teach these young guys and help them grow.”

The Lions have six practices remain during their offseason program before breaking until training camp.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

Morning folks.Still slow for football. i will check in again later....................

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Where does Auburn's 2025 recruiting haul rank among SEC teams as June begins?

Taylor Jones

4–5 minutes

The month of May was a great one for Auburn football in terms of recruiting.

The Tigers landed the commitment of three-star cornerback Dante Core, who joined Auburn’s 2025 haul on May 18. Core is the No. 66 corner for the 2025 cycle, and is the No. 80 recruit from Florida. Auburn’s top pledge, Malik Autry, also received great news as 247Sports upgraded his ranking to five-star status last month.

Auburn is getting off to a hot start in June by welcoming six targets, including three-star commit Tai Buster, are on campus this weekend for official visits. Ahead of the weekend, Auburn received predictions from both 247Sports and On3 to land four-star cornerback Blake Woodby, who recently de-committed from Ohio State.

How does Auburn stack up with the rest of the SEC following a successful May? Here’s a look at where each SEC team stands in 247Sports’ rankings as June begins.

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

National rankingNo. of commitments5-stars4-stars3-starsTop commit

No. 664021KaMario Taylor (4-star ATH)

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

No. 624013Carson Lawrence (4-star S)

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

No. 536005Grayson Wilson (3-star QB)

Visit Razorbacks Wire for the latest Arkansas football recruiting news.

Doug Engle/Gainesville Sun

No. 465032Jalen Wiggins (4-star EDGE)

Check out Gators Wire for the latest Florida football recruiting news.

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

No. 406024Shamari Earls (4-star CB)

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

No. 386042Quintin Simmons (4-star WR)

Visit UK Wildcats Wire for the latest Kentucky football recruiting news.

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

No. 307043Matt Zolers (4-star QB)

No. 298125Jerome Miles (5-star WR)

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

No. 1710136George McIntyre (5-star QB)

Visit Vols Wire for the latest Tennessee football recruiting news.

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

No. 149171Elyiss Williams (5-star TE)

Visit UGA Wire for the latest Georgia football recruiting news

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

National rankNo. of commits5-stars4-stars3-starsTop commit

No. 1310073Lance Jackson (4-star DL)

For the latest Texas football recruiting news, check out Longhorns Wire.

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

National rankNo. of commits5-stars4-stars3-starsTop commit

No. 1011164Malik Autry (5-star DL)

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

National rankingNo. of commits5-stars4-stars3-starsTop commit

No. 810181Darrell Johnson (4-star LB)

Visit Roll Tide Wire for the latest Alabama football recruiting news

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

No. 7130103Husan Longstreet (5-star QB)

For the latest Texas A&M football recruiting news, check out Aggies Wire.

No. 511281Bryce Underwood (5-star QB)

Visit LSU Wire for the latest LSU Football recruiting news

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports

No. 315096Ryan Fodje (4-star OT)

For the latest Oklahoma football recruiting news, visit Sooners Wire.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

ESPN's initial FPI rankings are out. Where is Auburn?

Taylor Jones

3–4 minutes

We have reached June, which means that Auburn fans can begin to see a clearer picture of what’s to come for Tiger football this fall.

ESPN released its initial Football Power Index rankings for the 2024 season last weekend, and Auburn is in a great position to make strides in year two under Hugh Freeze. Not only did Auburn take a giant leap forward in its overall ranking from last season’s final numbers, but the chances of Auburn winning six games, projected win total, and chances to make the College Football Playoff have increased as well.

Here is a look at where Auburn stands in major categories within ESPN’s initial Football Power Index ahead of the 2024 season.

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn cracks the top 25 of the ESPN Football Power Index rankings. To show how strong the SEC is projected to be this season, the Tigers rank No. 10 among SEC teams in the category despite being 19th-best in the nation. Georgia will begin at the top with Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Missouri earning a top-10 spot.

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

ESPN describes the FPI as a number “that measures team’s true strength on net points scale; expected point margin vs average opponent on neutral field.” Auburn is one of 11 SEC teams to own an FPI number of 10 or greater. 15 of 16 SEC teams have a positive FPI number, with one program, Vanderbilt, posting a -2.2 FPI number to begin the season.

Jake Crandall/The Montgomery Advertiser

According to ESPN FPI, Auburn is expected to exceed last season’s win total by earning a projected win total of 7.2. Ten SEC teams are projected to win seven or more games in 2024, with Georgia and Texas expected to earn double-digit wins.

Zach Bland/Auburn Athletics

Auburn fans can smile at this prediction. ESPN expects Auburn to easily reach the six-win mark in 2024, which could guarantee its first winning season since 2000. Six of Auburn’s eight SEC opponents have over a 50% chance to win six games, with Arkansas and Vanderbilt finishing shy of the mark.

© Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

Auburn is expected to improve in year two under Hugh Freeze, but do not expect the Tigers to compete for the SEC crown this season. Auburn has been given a <1% chance to win the SEC, joining seven other programs from the conference. Georgia has the best chance at 32.8%, followed by Texas (24.2%) and Alabama (14.4%).

Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

The College Football Playoff expands to 12 teams in 2024, which allows more teams an opportunity to play for a championship. Auburn is one of 10 SEC teams with chances higher than 10% to make the playoff. Georgia, Texas, and Alabama have the best odds to earn a CFP bid.

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn will experience yet again one of the toughest schedules in the country, as will the rest of the SEC. Nine of the top-10 toughest schedules belong to SEC teams, with Auburn slipping into the No. 5 slot. Auburn plays five teams that rank within the top 25, with 9 of 12 opponents ranking in the top 100.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Five-star Ohio State pledge recaps Auburn visit

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

Earlier last week, five-star Ohio State pledge Na'eem Offord told On3’s Cole Pinkston that he planned to save his official visit to Auburn for the season. So it was a surprise to many that he stopped by the Plains for a visit over the weekend.

Offord showed up for a star-studded recruiting weekend featuring five-star wide receiver Caleb Cunningham and four-star OL Broderick Shull as visitors. He spoke with Jeffrey Lee of On3 following his visit on Sunday afternoon by explaining his sudden appearance on the Plains.

“It was better because the coaches don’t have to focus on the game if you do it right now,” Offord said of his weekend visit. “They’re not doing anything now. It made sense for me to do it this weekend.”

He made the most of his visit by arriving on Friday and departing Sunday. Offord spent time with every coach including cornerbacks coach Wesley McGriff and defensive coordinator DJ Durkin. Their pitch to Offord was the importantance of staying in-state and that he is their “No. 1 target.”

“They are the only school telling me that,” Offord said.

Offord is a five-star cornerback from Parker High School in Birmingham, and ranks as high as No. 6 nationally by 247Sports and ESPN. He announced his pledge to Ohio State since February, and has worked on flipping Auburn commit Malik Autry to the Buckeyes. Maybe this weekend’s trip will allow Autry to flip the script and sway Offord to commit to Auburn.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__