Vogelsong embraces leadership / Golf Stuff

Posted (edited)

247sports.com

O Captain My Captain Vogelsong embraces leadership role for champion Tigers

Jason Caldwell

5–6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—Auburn has been playing golf since 1947-48 and while the Tigers have had some strong teams over the years, making 33 NCAA Tournament appearances and winning a fifth SEC Championship this season, the big prize was still something the program was striving for. 

The wait is over.

On Friday night with a few thousand fans celebrating at Toomer's Corner, coach Nick Clinard's team returned to Auburn as the nation's best team after defeating Florida State 3-2 in the finals of match play at the NCAA Championships in California.

Dominating from the beginning to the end of the season, winning 10 times overall and seven straight to close out the year, Auburn not only captured the attention of the golf world but also those closest to the program. 

The most famous Auburn golf alum is Jason Dufner. The 2013 PGA Championship winner and a winner five times on tour, Dufner is a big supporter of the Tigers and other sports on campus. Watching them finish off a championship and come home to a huge celebration, Dufner said it has been impressive to see it continue to build over the years to get to this point.

"I think Nick has been here about 15 years," Dufner said. "It probably took him a while to figure out how he wanted things to be. He probably had a vision of how he wanted it to be. I think the blueprint is out there for all athletics in general. It took a while and then you keep building on it.

"He's been doing that for the last 10 years. The team has been super competitive in the country. They have been probably one or two in the SEC. Then it just takes a couple of guys. This year we pulled in Jackson (Koivun) and he had an amazing season. You've got a couple of veterans to throw in there and everything just comes together."

Playing for the Tigers from 1999-2001, Will Swift has been a big supporter of Auburn golf since his playing days were done. Keeping close tabs on everything done on the Plains, he was back with his family on Friday night to celebrate the champions.

"Being around some of these guys and just over the years, how many great players have come through Auburn University," Swift said. "Even with the talent they had, everything has to fall into place. To see it fall into place with how young these guys are and the ice water in their veins, it's unbelievable. It makes me so proud to be an Auburn Tiger. I'm so glad for my kids be able to see this and to know I was once a part of this great family. We love these guys and we love Auburn."

Will McCurdy is part of a very select group. He was recruited and played for Mike Griffin and was still on the roster when Clinard got to Auburn. That gives him a unique perspective and he said it's amazing to see how things have continued to grow under this staff.

"It's just gratitude," he said. "I'm so grateful for coach Clinard. Those guys, I have no doubt they have put in the time and effort to do what it takes to win a championship like that. I'm so glad I got to play for both great coaches. Clinard, to take the program from where we were to now, I know how much work he's put into it. With how good this team was, it was going to be a tragedy if they didn't win some hardware. I was just so happy they were able to capitalize on how good of a year they had."

Playing from 1973-76, Bob Dumas was an All-SEC golfer for the Tigers and has been on the Auburn Board of Trustees in addition to serving as President of Auburn Bank. With a history around the program and an understanding of the Auburn community, Dumas said the run for this team was one of the ages.

"What a great accomplishment for this team and coaches," Dumas said. "It's the culmination of years of hard work and commitment and perseverance and belief in each other and their coaches and also a love for Auburn University. That's the biggest stage in collegiate golf. They performed at the highest level under the greatest pressure. I couldn't be more proud of them."

A sport where even the best in the world don't win every time they tee up, Auburn finished off what is arguably the most dominant season in college golf history by winning the national title. Dufner said of all the things they accomplished, stepping up and delivering time and time again was the most impressive.

"I have been playing golf professionally for 24 years," Dufner said. "I can say firsthand, golf is one of those sports where you put it in and sometimes you don't get it out. Sometimes you don't get out of it what you want. It's always great to see stories like this where these guys worked hard as a team, had a lot of success, and the ultimate goal was achieved."

Edited by aubiefifty

• Thanks 1

• aubiefifty changed the title to Vogelsong embraces leadership / Golf Stuff

Take your pick folks! I posted every single thing i could find. I was shocked some of the golf video's were not watched at all. these video's are so much fun. I am also so proud to see a dream come true for mr golf as well as others! When coach holler war damn eagle i got chills! those guys seem to be wonderful role models.................

• Like 1