Fire Greg Sankey if the SEC starts cutting sports

On 6/2/2024 at 2:27 AM, Hank2020 said:

In the context you describe (professional sporting events) how is CFB any different? I would also add that if you watched superbowls, that is participating in every sense of the context.

I don’t know if this even deserves my typing, but what I said was: I have not watched any professional sports except for maybe a Super Bowl every other year because I was invited to their Super Bowl party. That’s a far cry from buying tickets for professional sports, spending money on concessions, parking, spending money on their sponsors etc. Etc. etc..

Back to my point which was: stopping this nonsense is in our hands and in our pocketbooks. Get it?

On 6/2/2024 at 3:51 AM, gr82be said:

Boycotting might make people feel like they are sticking to principles but it’s darn near impossible to boycott major sponsors of the NFL just by doing normal life. Fed Ex delivers to the world whether you chose them or not. I respect your choice but I guess I try to consider that there are people working for these companies who may not like some things going on as well but they have to eat so… I haven’t always agreed with everything my place of employment has stood for but I’d probably have to start my own company for that to change. I agree with you on the halftime shows, haven’t watched those in years. 

I understand, but my obvious point is: if people stop buying tickets, and therefore not attending games for even two seasons, it would make a major change! If TV went down the toilet, they would have to make major changes. I realize most are simply too weak to do this.

I don’t want to turn it political, so I won’t mention any companies or sponsors by name, but I’m sure you know some corporations that got boycotted…. And man did they ever change!

12 hours ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

The costs have closed big time. Concession pricing is pretty much the exact same at Jordan Hare as it is at American Airline's Arena in Dallas.

Cost for shirts and hats etc are the same. Nike is going to charge the same price for a polo with AU on it as they are if it had the Mavericks logo on it. Plenty of college fans that make poor financial decisions and donate and buy season tickets, gear, etc that shouldn't.

I've gone to Rangers/Stars/Mavericks games for less than an Auburn football game. They all have family packages they offer. The cost really are not that different anymore (depending on your team). Went to a Stars playoff game for less than a Georgia or Alabama game.

College is losing many of the things that separated it from the pro's for me in the tradition/rivalry area. I was always a college first person followed by Dallas sports teams. I don't watch random pro games like I would college though unless out with friends.

Most of the professional teams you mentioned, I don’t even know what sport the “Stars” play, but there multiple day per week games… basketball, hockey, baseball etc. Football is played once a week, so it’s always been more expensive.

appreciate your comments, rather than repeat my point, you can just go back and read what I wrote. Stopping this is in our hands and our wallets.

7 hours ago, cbo said:

You emailed every major sponsor of every professional sport? That must have taken forever.

Why are you so upset with all professional sports? I checked back twice to see if I missed it. I'm honestly baffled by this one. 

Major sponsors. How long does it take you to shoot off an email? If it takes you longer than 60 seconds to three minutes, you may want to consider retaking Eng 101.

My Point: stopping this nonsense as in our hands and our pocketbooks. 

Everybody, did you get his point?!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Back to my point which was: stopping this nonsense is in our hands and in our pocketbooks. Get it?

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

appreciate your comments, rather than repeat my point, you can just go back and read what I wrote. Stopping this is in our hands and our wallets.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

My Point: stopping this nonsense as in our hands and our pocketbooks. 

Awfully presumptuous of you thinking there is anything in my hand or pocket.

I'm gonna keep watching Auburn sports in my home until my neighbor wises up and changes passwords, thank you very much.

;) 

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t know if this even deserves my typing, but what I said was: I have not watched any professional sports except for maybe a Super Bowl every other year because I was invited to their Super Bowl party. That’s a far cry from buying tickets for professional sports, spending money on concessions, parking, spending money on their sponsors etc. Etc. etc..

Yep, got it (first time actually). I believe your level of participation is at about the same level as some percentage of other fans ( no information to determine how much, but would believe it to be pretty high.). Personally I spend zero also for CFB. Just watch games on tv when possible. I’m betting the influx of dollars is highest through tv revenue which you and I both participate in. I’m thinking that would have to go away to have much impact ( which was my observation 

• Like 1

I don't think some of you understand that the NCAA/schools' hands were forced on this issue.  There were multiple lawsuits brought by various players on this issue of them playing for colleges and the NCAA who have be raking in billions of dollars in TV, ticket sales and other money, and for years being unable to get an significant share of the money they had the major part in generating.  For a long time they were limited basically to the scholarships, housing and meals schools provided.  Only recently have they been allowed to take advantage of the potential of their name, image and likeness to make more, but that has become completely out of control.

There was no keeping things the way it used to be.  The way the lawsuits were going in the courts, it was clear there was a strong likelihood the players were going to win the suit and it was going to cost untold billions.  The settlement the NCAA and conferences have agreed to avoids that possibility in exchange for a payout that's a fraction of what a potential court judgment would have been.  But it changes things - some for the good (reining in the Wild West NIL situation we have now) and some not so great (decreased revenues for a good while for athletic departments which affects how many money-losing sports can be supported by the one significant money maker - football).

I get not being happy with all the realignment but realignment was a symptom of a bigger and unavoidable issue, not the cause.  We aren't here because of Greg Sankey, Sankey and his counterparts in other conferences are dealing with cards they were dealt in an issue that had an inevitable end - the inclusion of players in the sharing of revenues they generate.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Most of the professional teams you mentioned, I don’t even know what sport the “Stars” play

Then how do you know you're boycotting their sponsors?

Posted (edited)

there will eventually be two "leagues" ... what was formerly the power five conferences & then all other programs ... there will be different schedules, TV deals, etc. ... each will have a playoff system & their own National Champion ... I believe this will happen within the next five years

Edited by nthemix

On 6/3/2024 at 8:45 PM, Mims44 said:

Awfully presumptuous of you thinking there is anything in my hand or pocket.

I'm gonna keep watching Auburn sports in my home until my neighbor wises up and changes passwords, thank you very much.

;) 

That sounds about right coming from you.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 3:12 AM, TripleDegreeTiger said:

Then how do you know you're boycotting their sponsors?

How do I know their sponsors? Good Lord, a 30 second Internet search.

It comes down to this: if you’re happy, wasting your money on these multi millionaire crybabies, go right ahead. As for me, I will stick to college sports. If college sports ends up a bunch of overpaid, millionaire crybabies, I will quit college sports as well.

Really not hard to figure this out but if you want to keep-up the back-and-forth, feel free.

Edited by AU-24

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

It comes down to this: if you’re happy, wasting your money on these multi millionaire crybabies, go right ahead. As for me, I will stick to college sports. If college sports ends up a bunch of overpaid, millionaire crybabies, I will quit college sports as well.

Really not hard to figure this out but if you want to keep-up the back-and-forth, feel free.

College sports has been a bunch of overpaid millionaire crybabies for a LOOOOONG time. It just happens that none of those crybabies were actual on the field athletes.

19 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Easy tiger. I just didn't want you accidentally getting some Chik Fil A or something and accidentally supporting some hockey players.

College athletics has always been full of crybabies, their are now many overpaid crybabies, and unfortunately it is heading the same way as the pro's.

I was the same way as you, primary college. Now their isn't much difference. Well with the exception the Dallas teams are winning championships and making finals across the board. Free agency was something that really turned me off from the pro's when I was younger. College is worse now until they fix the portal. Holding fans and universities hostage at the end of each season.

52 minutes ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

Easy tiger. I just didn't want you accidentally getting some Chik Fil A or something and accidentally supporting some hockey players.

College athletics has always been full of crybabies, their are now many overpaid crybabies, and unfortunately it is heading the same way as the pro's.

I was the same way as you, primary college. Now their isn't much difference. Well with the exception the Dallas teams are winning championships and making finals across the board. Free agency was something that really turned me off from the pro's when I was younger. College is worse now until they fix the portal. Holding fans and universities hostage at the end of each season.

Pay up or else you suckers!

21 hours ago, Mims44 said:

College sports has been a bunch of overpaid millionaire crybabies for a LOOOOONG time. It just happens that none of those crybabies were actual on the field athletes.

Up until recently, the were a couple handful of coaches that were millionaires. That’s it!

The above, plus those million dollar coaches were tried and tested to be some of the best in the business, that’s how they got that kind of money. They weren’t 17 to 22-year-old kids. They didn’t make hundreds and hundreds of thousands or even millions right out of high school. Just saying.

10 hours ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

I was the same way as you, primary college. Now there isn't much difference. Well with the exception the Dallas teams are winning championships and making finals across the board. Free agency was something that really turned me off from the pro's when I was younger. College is worse now until they fix the portal. Holding fans and universities hostage at the end of each season.

If you don’t mind, just getting back to my point which is… how do we fix it? Stop supporting it for a year or two, and the problem will magically go away.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Up until recently, the were a couple handful of coaches that were millionaires. That’s it!

The above, plus those million dollar coaches were tried and tested to be some of the best in the business, that’s how they got that kind of money. They weren’t 17 to 22-year-old kids. They didn’t make hundreds and hundreds of thousands or even millions right out of high school. Just saying.

Coaches aren't who I was talking about either.

College football generates over a billion in profits each year, where 99.9% of employees were paid not with money but in 'education', housing, clothing.