Auburn budgets $25.7 million for new videoboard

al.com

Auburn budgets $25.7 million for new Jordan-Hare Stadium videoboard

Updated: May. 30, 2024, 8:39 a.m.|Published: May. 30, 2024, 8:32 a.m.
3–4 minutes

Jordan-Hare Stadium

Renderings for Auburn's proposed Jordan-Hare Stadium north endzone viedoboard project, as shown in meeting material documents a Board of Trustees session scheduled for June 7.Auburn Board of Trustees

Auburn’s anticipated videoboard upgrade to the north endzone at Jordan-Hare Stadium will cost about $25.7 million, according to material documents posted online for Auburn’s June 7 Board of Trustees meeting.

Documents state the funding will come from gifts to the athletic department, but do not provide further information on the donors.

In the upcoming BOT session, board members will vote on a final approval for the project which was initiated in a Feb. 2, 2024 BOT meeting. The initial approval was unanimous.

Construction can not begin on the videoboard until trustees grant this final approval.

The vote, which is expected to pass, would be the biggest breakthrough in Auburn’s long-standing quest to upgrade the antiquated scoreboard currently in the north endzone. The BOT made a similar initial approval in 2017 for a new videoboard, but the project never came to fruition.

The meeting materials provided new renderings for the anticipated project, in addition to Auburn’s previous renderings from February.

Jordan-Hare Stadium

Renderings for Auburn's proposed Jordan-Hare Stadium north endzone viedoboard project, as shown in meeting material documents a Board of Trustees session scheduled for June 7.Auburn Board of Trustees

At the Feb. 2 BOT meeting, Dan King, vice president of Auburn’s Property and Facilities Committee, said the current scoreboard installed in 1987 is “truly problematic.” Athletic Director John Cohen stressed the need to modernize the north endzone since the beginning of his Auburn tenure in late 2022.

The new videoboard, should it be approved, will be 47 feet high by 154 feet wide. That is roughly two-thirds the size of the current south endzone videoboard, according to BOT documents.

Since the initial approval in February, Auburn has worked with LYBD Engineers of Birmingham — a previously approved contractor — to finish the design for the videoboard.

Documents for the June 7 meeting explicitly mention improving the gameday experience for Auburn students. Auburn’s student section is in the south endzone meaning Auburn’s only current videoboard is behind the students. The new project would give them a videoboard to look at without turning around.

Cohen has said the videoboard is only the beginning of a longer, more significant renovation process in the Jordan-Hare Stadium north endzone. The larger project, Cohen states, is still in the “dream phase.”

The new videoboard, if approved, will begin construction and Auburn previously stated it anticipates having the board by the 2025 football season.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

Not as big as the other one. Not my decision, but I would make the new match the other one. 

On 5/30/2024 at 5:53 PM, aubiefifty said:

al.com

Auburn budgets $25.7 million for new Jordan-Hare Stadium videoboard

Updated: May. 30, 2024, 8:39 a.m.|Published: May. 30, 2024, 8:32 a.m.
3–4 minutes

Jordan-Hare Stadium

Auburn’s anticipated videoboard upgrade to the north endzone at Jordan-Hare Stadium will cost about $25.7 million, according to material documents posted online for Auburn’s June 7 Board of Trustees meeting.

Documents state the funding will come from gifts to the athletic department, but do not provide further information on the donors.

In the upcoming BOT session, board members will vote on a final approval for the project which was initiated in a Feb. 2, 2024 BOT meeting. The initial approval was unanimous.

Construction can not begin on the videoboard until trustees grant this final approval.

The vote, which is expected to pass, would be the biggest breakthrough in Auburn’s long-standing quest to upgrade the antiquated scoreboard currently in the north endzone. The BOT made a similar initial approval in 2017 for a new videoboard, but the project never came to fruition.

The meeting materials provided new renderings for the anticipated project, in addition to Auburn’s previous renderings from February.

Jordan-Hare Stadium

At the Feb. 2 BOT meeting, Dan King, vice president of Auburn’s Property and Facilities Committee, said the current scoreboard installed in 1987 is “truly problematic.” Athletic Director John Cohen stressed the need to modernize the north endzone since the beginning of his Auburn tenure in late 2022.

The new videoboard, should it be approved, will be 47 feet high by 154 feet wide. That is roughly two-thirds the size of the current south endzone videoboard, according to BOT documents.

Since the initial approval in February, Auburn has worked with LYBD Engineers of Birmingham — a previously approved contractor — to finish the design for the videoboard.

Documents for the June 7 meeting explicitly mention improving the gameday experience for Auburn students. Auburn’s student section is in the south endzone meaning Auburn’s only current videoboard is behind the students. The new project would give them a videoboard to look at without turning around.

Cohen has said the videoboard is only the beginning of a longer, more significant renovation process in the Jordan-Hare Stadium north endzone. The larger project, Cohen states, is still in the “dream phase.”

The new videoboard, if approved, will begin construction and Auburn previously stated it anticipates having the board by the 2025 football season.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Rendering doesn’t fit described board dimensions at all. Stated measures are 3x as wide as it is tall?

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Rendering doesn’t fit described board dimensions at all. Stated measures are 3x as wide as it is tall?

ask runnin red as he would know.i post so much i rarely have time to read the articles i post. but i willshoot the bull wid ya anytime.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ask runnin red as he would know.i post so much i rarely have time to read the articles i post. but i willshoot the bull wid ya anytime.

Ha. I know nothing but what I read, so always shooting the bull !!

Edited by Hank2020
  • Love 1

Need to do something about the wart press box sticking up in the southwest  corner.  

Think 2 smaller video boards in the corners would be a better look. Agree that something needs to be done with the double wide in the south end zone.  It looks ridiculous 

• Like 2

Well, only one thing to do. Just build a new stadium. Hard to change the existing footprint. More flexibility starting from scratch. Everyone can get their wish list.  Plenty of land available. 🤪

1 hour ago, AU120289 said:

Well, only one thing to do. Just build a new stadium. Hard to change the existing footprint. More flexibility starting from scratch. Everyone can get their wish list.  Plenty of land available. 🤪

After the players are paid won’t leave much money to play with. Of course the fans can pay more.

9 hours ago, tigers23 said:

Think 2 smaller video boards in the corners would be a better look. Agree that something needs to be done with the double wide in the south end zone.  It looks ridiculous 

I hate that hideous thing. Was doing a project at the stadium when it was installed and hated it then. Shortly after sat in the upper deck for a game and the sound system ruined the night. I do enjoy hearing the band sometimes

• Like 1

I would gladly trade the $25 million this is going to cost and re direct the donor funds to the baseball, softball, and basketball programs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would gladly trade the $25 million this is going to cost and re direct the donor funds to the baseball, softball, and basketball programs. 

Unfortunately, those with the dough will probably be less inclined to do so. I feel like Auburn , probably like most schools, will prioritize football going forward as this seems to bring in the best value. The exception being those schools considered “basketball” schools.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Unfortunately, those with the dough will probably be less inclined to do so. I feel like Auburn , probably like most schools, will prioritize football going forward as this seems to bring in the best value. The exception being those schools considered “basketball” schools.

Agree and it makes sense as well and let’s face it, football is what draws most of us here. I hate to see the other sports beyond basketball suffer anymore than they already do as a whole though. 

• Like 1