Men's team picks up transfer Guard Miles Kelly

21 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I think it’s a little more complicated than that as well. Pearl has a reputation in college and isn’t liked by a lot of coaches due to some of his past transgressions. But also, I think they schedule OOC schedules strategically correlated with the strength of that year’s team. We had a pretty good schedule in 2018-2019 as well as when we had Jabari and Walker, not too tough but not weak. We’ve had weaker schedules in the past couple of years due to Bruce probably thinking that getting wins is more important to gain confidence with the team no matter who it’s against. As you pointed out as well though, last year we did schedule some tough OOC games with Baylor, USC and Indiana, who were all preseason top 20 teams. And played at App St., which no power conference team would ever do. So it wasn’t like he scheduled nothing but cupcakes, can’t help how teams do throughout the year. But for this year, from what I’ve been reading, it looks like Bruce is being really aggressive with the OOC schedule because he probably sees the potential of this team and wants them to get as much experience with the best teams as possible to be ready for the conference season and postseason.

Last season's non conference schedule looked good on paper before the season. But, like you and many others have mentioned, a lot of those teams were busts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think if we’re anywhere close to being a potential contender, this should be the mode of operation. There’s definitely been weaker teams that it would’ve just been a waste of time to have them play like UConn or Houston, but an OOC gauntlet can’t do anything but help IMO. I know you don’t love metrics, but metrics help with seeding and a close loss in these big games seems to do more for you than beating the brains out of no ones 

It may mean a few more L's than normal in non conference play. But it will pay off in the long run, especially in March.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think if we’re anywhere close to being a potential contender, this should be the mode of operation. There’s definitely been weaker teams that it would’ve just been a waste of time to have them play like UConn or Houston, but an OOC gauntlet can’t do anything but help IMO. I know you don’t love metrics, but metrics help with seeding and a close loss in these big games seems to do more for you than beating the brains out of no ones 

Oh no, I agree completely on how having a tough OOC schedule has on seeding and how a team can perform in the postseason. I also believe there needs to be context as well. I mean, do you think a team who goes 0-5 against top 20 nonconference teams with three of those losses by double digits is better than a team who plays 2 top 20 teams and goes 1-1 in those games? That’s my point. At some point you have to win those big games. 
I digress though. I’ve always wanted Auburn to play a tough nonconference schedule. Basically play 5-6 top 25 teams along with some strong mid majors. I hate seeing teams that you know Auburn will win by 20 plus. I don’t think you learn anything from those types of games. I have always been a competitor as well though, as in I always wanted to play the best to prove that I belong compared to playing teams I know couldn’t guard me and had to mentally get psyched to play them and not take them for granted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It was good that you deleted the post, because it didn’t make sense and you didn’t follow the trail of posts.
You’re seeing me post about Alabama these last few pages because people seem to really like my opinion on the subject - literally had a guy quote me asking for further clarity on my position with Alabama after I said I didn’t want to derail the thread further. That happened TWICE. 

If I wanted to read about Donald Trump's achievements I wouldn't go to Joe Bidens website. Or vice versa. Kudos to you and all your followers that enjoy coming to an Auburn BB forum to read a novel about how great Oats is. 

I don't think you shouldn't be able to do it. I just don't have to give you a standing ovation when you do. It's my opinion, and I won't bother you further. 

Unless AU beats your favorite team next season. 

We actually agree a lot about football, but you lost me here. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Politics in MY basketball section???

OK. It was an example, and I really didn't think of it that way, but guilty as charged , I guess. How about one goes to a vegan forum to extol the beauty of a medium rare ribeye? Or vice versa. Is that better?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

It may mean a few more L's than normal in non conference play. But it will pay off in the long run, especially in March.

Yeah, a few more L's than normal in non-Con and potentially an additional L or two in Conference play given how many SEC teams improved this offseason. But if that better prepares us for tourney play, then its for the best.

Obviously AU is likely top tier in the SEC, but looking at all the transfers SEC teams have brought in, I think it'll be even more of a blood bath in conference play than last year with 12-5 potentially being enough for 1st place. 

All that to say, we could have double digit losses and still be a top 15 team in the country with the type of schedule we'll play this year. and hopefully our fan base doesn't act like the sky is falling. But we know how that'll go. ☁️🍂😜

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

OK. It was an example, and I really didn't think of it that way, but guilty as charged , I guess. How about one goes to a vegan forum to extol the beauty of a medium rare ribeye? Or vice versa. Is that better?

I honestly didn’t care man. I don’t think the conversation was anything serious. Like I told the numbskull poster you referenced earlier, if I’m an Alabama fan for being able to mention their strengths along with their weaknesses…I’ll be what I gotta be. 

I just love talking basketball, I can’t really bring biases or rivalries into my analysis. Sue me! 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I honestly didn’t care man. I don’t think the conversation was anything serious. Like I told the numbskull poster you referenced earlier, if I’m an Alabama fan for being able to mention their strengths along with their weaknesses…I’ll be what I gotta be. 

I just love talking basketball, I can’t really bring biases or rivalries into my analysis. Sue me! 

No. Don't trust lawyers. 

• Haha 1

did someone mention politics? grins

247sports.com

With Miles Kelly Auburn adds one of the most underrated players in the portal

Nathan King

5–6 minutes

Auburn already felt it was in a good place with its 2024-25 roster. Then it added a two-time leading scorer from a high-major program.

The Tigers' backcourt overhaul features the aforementioned Miles Kelly, who comes over in the transfer portal after three seasons at Georgia Tech; plus Furman transfer point guard JP Pegues, a first team All-Southern Conference performer last year; and 5-star freshman Tahaad Pettiford, the No. 2 point guard recruit in the class. 

And of the newcomers at guard, Kelly — who committed to Auburn last week and is officially set to return to college after withdrawing from the NBA Draft on Wednesday — is the most proven at the  high-major level, after starting 59 games over the past two seasons at Georgia Tech. During that stretch, Kelly has averaged 14.2 points per game on 35 percent shooting from beyond the arc. 

TAKE THE AUBURN UNDERCOVER USER SURVEY

Kelly's overall shooting percentage of 39 percent, though, left some to be desired in his two seasons as a starter. But on Friday's Auburn Undercover Podcast, 247Sports national college basketball writer Isaac Trotter expressed confidence not only in Kelly's role with the Tigers, but also that the senior guard was a product of his environment in a sense.

"I think Miles Kelly has a chance to be one of the most underrated players in the portal," Trotter said. "Just looking at the numbers of what he had, I think it's easy to be a little bit hesitant with him because the numbers weren't great. But you have to factor in context. That was a young Georgia Tech team; Miles Kelly had to take a bunch of shots for them."

Last season under first-year coach Damon Stoudamire, Georgia Tech went 14-18. And while Kelly's rebounding and defensive numbers saw an uptick, his 3-point shooting, turnovers, free-throw shooting and overall shooting dipped from the previous season. Among members of the Yellow Jackets primary lineup on the season, Kelly's usage rate — percentage of offensive possessions ended with the ball in a player's hands — was a team-high 25.6 percent. 

"He has to be the bail-out guy — the late-clock possession guy who's just taking heaves sometimes," Trotter said. "He's playing with a ton of freshmen in that backcourt, too, so it's not like they had a ton of great shots that he's going to be able to get. They really had no low-post presence, either."

Auburn's 2024-25 squad will feature what's easily the most talented lineup Kelly has played in at the college level, and he'll have plenty of other shotmakers around him like Chad Baker-Mazara, Pegues, Denver Jones and even big man Johni Broome. Trotter referenced the 2022-23 season where Kelly played alongside Deivon Smith, who became a breakout point guard at Utah after transferring from Georgia Tech.

"When he had Deivon Smith, one of the top players in the portal this cycle, he played with him two years ago, and he shot over 38 percent from 3-point range on high volume (6.7 attempts per game)," Trotter said. "I think Kelly has a chance to be the best 3-point shooter on this team from a volume perspective."

Kelly's average of 32.1 minutes per night should decrease significantly at Auburn, where Bruce Pearl will likely deploy a 10-, potentially 11-man rotation next season. Having a high-level playmaker and scorer coming off the bench at guard was something Auburn lacked at times last season.

"Maybe the volume or raw stats don't necessarily match up with some of the other wings," Trotter said. "I'd be surprised if Kelly averages 21 points per game like Dalton Knecht did last year. I still think he can have a really, really impactful role in the 22-26 minutes he's on the floor."

With Kelly checking in at 6-foot-6, he, Jones and Baker-Mazara should give Auburn three quality options across the 2 and 3 spots. Kelly's role at shooting guard could increase if Jones plays some point guard, which Pearl has referenced could be a possibility. Pettiford figures to be Auburn's backup point guard on paper.

The Tigers could also go small ball, if a matchup allows, with the 6-foot-7 Baker-Mazara at the 4 spot. 

"All three of those dudes could start," Trotter said of Jones, Kelly and Baker-Mazara. "Maybe you get a little bit creative and play a little Chad Baker-Mazara at the 4. I don't foresee that being a real thing, but maybe it's an option you have in your holster — if Kelly is really rolling and Denver Jones is really going."

Regardless of the potential combinations, there's little doubt Auburn upgraded its guard positions compared to last season. 

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Like 1

What is the hold up of Miles Kelly signing? His Instagram still says GT basketball? Also, when is TP arriving on campus?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

What is the hold up of Miles Kelly signing? His Instagram still says GT basketball? Also, when is TP arriving on campus?

IMG_0119.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

IMG_0120.png

IMG_0121.png

Edited by GwillMac6

16 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I'm the same way being paranoid. I guess it's just the nature of having been a long-time Auburn fan. We have had the chair pulled out from under us way too many times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Tiger720 said:

@gtmensbasketball

He just hasn’t gotten around to changing it. All the AU commitment stuff is still pinned.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I'm the same way being paranoid. I guess it's just the nature of having been a long-time Auburn fan. We have had the chair pulled out from under us way too many times.

Yes, I don't consider it safe until they have signed and on campus. You just never know. 😭

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Yes, I don't consider it safe until they have signed and on campus. You just never know. 😭

With the transfers the signing means nothing. Enrolled in classes is the big one.

54 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

With the transfers the signing means nothing. Enrolled in classes is the big one.

When does summer term start?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

When does summer term start?

Great question! Probaly very soon!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Got to go on the BP right of passage which is a Lake Martin lake day!

IMG_0129.png

• Love 2

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Got to go on the BP right of passage which is a Lake Martin lake day!

IMG_0129.png

Are there pics of Kelly?  That's Pettiford and CBM

17 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Are there pics of Kelly?  That's Pettiford and CBM

The person asked about Pett and if he was in AU. That was what I was responding to.

• Like 2