Men's team picks up transfer Guard Miles Kelly

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Do you think Scheyer is a good enough coach to get them over the hump? I also agree about UNC underperforming. Davis hasn't done that great outside of that fluke Final Four run. Missed the tournament altogether in 2022, and their regular season success this year was fool's gold since the ACC was so down. He is definitely no Roy Williams or Dean Smith.

Being honest, I think he’s doing an ok job but he won’t be like Coach K, no one really will. I think he’s been put in a difficult situation, just like Hubert Davis. I think they will both get talent because of their name brands but I don’t think they will see the success they have been accustomed to.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Miles Kelly thread is just the general rankings thread at this point 

everyone get together and pray we don’t end up matched in UConn’s bracket again. 

Yea, I don’t know how much of these guys look or watch basketball. It’s become comical right now. No way Purdue, Arizona or UNC in the top 3 seeds. Also, you can guarantee Auburn will have the toughest bracket, I’m more convinced now of that. The good news is that if we advance in the Maui tournament we can play UCONN and see where we stand. I also hope the rumors come to fruition that we play Purdue and Houston out of conference.

• Like 1

FYI, on Kelly, he apparently has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft and we should be hearing him signing to us in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Being honest, I think he’s doing an ok job but he won’t be like Coach K, no one really will. I think he’s been put in a difficult situation, just like Hubert Davis. I think they will both get talent behave of their name brands but I don’t think they will see the success they have been accustomed to.

One thing for sure, I would never want to take over for a coach who had been legendary like their predecessors. Virtually a no-win situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

FYI, on Kelly, he apparently has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft and we should be hearing him signing to us in the next couple of days.

Yesterday was the absolute deadline, right? So no turning back for anyone now?

• Like 1

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

One thing for sure, I would never want to take over for a coach who had been legendary like their predecessors. Virtually a no-win situation.

Yea, that’s the most difficult job in sports. As the saying goes, you want to follow the guy who coached after the great coach left.

• Like 1

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

Yesterday was the absolute deadline, right? So no turning back for anyone now?

Yea, he cannot return back to the NBA draft.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they had Auburn’s draw, they wouldn’t have beat multiple great teams like UNC and Clemson, so yes, they’d have a different perception.
You are thinking my perception is based on “they just made the final 4 so they’re elite” - it’s not. They were a great team all season that played about as hard an OOC as you could, and looked great against that OOC AND looked great in the tourney, which is a continuation of the OOC. You have actively diminished that because for you, the conference play seemingly matters MUCH more. Which is a fine opinion to have, but I personally believe that if you schedule hard, you play great against that hard schedule, you’re better built for the tourney. They deserve brownie points for preparing themselves for March.

And people think I’m biased for Alabama in this respect, but don’t ask any important questions like “hey, do you feel like this about other teams”…YES, I do!!! UConn, same thing. Kansas, same thing. Marquette, same thing. You deserve more props for playing a super hard schedule that potentially tanks your record before January, and deserve even more props if you still have a good in conference record.

Alabama had a tough finish to the end of the regular season…okay! They played harder IN CONFERENCE schedule than we did. They played the 3 best teams outside of themselves and us more times. They played all the hard teams we had one off series with - Tennessee, Kentucky, SCar and Florida - and played two of those TWICE. Isn’t it just crazy that a team that played more hard games had more blowout losses? You think Auburn who got stomped by Florida on the road, Kentucky at home, lost by 8 to Tenn, you think that team isn’t getting handed at least another blow out if they played a couple more games against the aforementioned quartet? 

Ok, hold on, you thought that Clemson and UNC were “great” teams? I don’t know what to say to that. I’m just going to shake my head and put my face in my palms. Those teams were a little above average in a weak conference last year. And again, just because you play a tough nonconference doesn’t necessarily mean you are a great team. They still lost all of those games. And yes, they had to play UK, UT, UF and SC twice, but that meant also they had more chances to prove their worth. Auburn had less chances to prove their worth since they only got to play UT once, at UT and at UF, which they got their revenge in the SEC tournament. So yea, Auburn also didn’t have many chances to prove their worth. 
And I’ve already said, in basketball, more than anything else, you have to use the eye test more so than stats because if you looked at Auburn objectively the whole year, you would have seen that we wouldn’t make it past the first weekend because of our mediocre guard play. And it’s why Auburn struggled with many teams who had good guard play. I never thought Auburn was a national contender even though many people were picking us to make a run. The same with UAT. If you saw their box scores and watched their play, you knew they had absolutely no defense and had to hope they scored 90 plus points every game. However, they got placed in a very easy bracket. If you thought they were a great team the whole year, then I don’t know what to say. They were far from great. Both Auburn and UAT beat up on the bad teams and struggled with any team with a pulse for the most part for a reason. And that’s my whole point. Perception is not reality. There really were no differences between UAT and Auburn throughout the year besides Auburn choking in the first round and UAT having the easiest path ever to the Final 4. If you can’t agree with that then I don’t know what else to say. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Ok, hold on, you thought that Clemson and UNC were “great” teams? I don’t know what to say to that. I’m just going to shake my head and put my face in my palms. Those teams were a little above average in a weak conference last year. And again, just because you play a tough nonconference doesn’t necessarily mean you are a great team. They still lost all of those games. And yes, they had to play UK, UT, UF and SC twice, but that meant also they had more chances to prove their worth. Auburn had less chances to prove their worth since they only got to play UT once, at UT and at UF, which they got their revenge in the SEC tournament. So yea, Auburn also didn’t have many chances to prove their worth. 
And I’ve already said, in basketball, more than anything else, you have to use the eye test more so than stats because if you looked at Auburn objectively the whole year, you would have seen that we wouldn’t make it past the first weekend because of our mediocre guard play. And it’s why Auburn struggled with many teams who had good guard play. I never thought Auburn was a national contender even though many people were picking us to make a run. The same with UAT. If you saw their box scores and watched their play, you knew they had absolutely no defense and had to hope they scored 90 plus points every game. However, they got placed in a very easy bracket. If you thought they were a great team the whole year, then I don’t know what to say. They were far from great. Both Auburn and UAT beat up on the bad teams and struggled with any team with a pulse for the most part for a reason. And that’s my whole point. Perception is not reality. There really were no differences between UAT and Auburn throughout the year besides Auburn choking in the first round and UAT having the easiest path ever to the Final 4. If you can’t agree with that then I don’t know what else to say. 

I was thinking the same thing. UNC was a paper tiger 1 seed, and Clemson lost like 13-14 games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I was thinking the same thing. UNC was a paper tiger 1 seed, and Clemson lost like 13-14 games.

Yea, can’t really understand that phrasing. Again, that’s why you have to look at more than just stats. Look at how they did the last 10 games, who they lost to and how they lost will give you a much better indication of how well that team is playing or not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s been confirmed with Miles Kelly: he has officially withdrawn from the NBA draft. He is expected to sign soon with Auburn! He was seen as high second round pick but could be a first round pick with a great year next year.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

It’s been confirmed with Miles Kelly: he has officially withdrawn from the NBA draft. He is expected to sign soon with Auburn! He was seen as high second round pick but could be a first round pick with a great year next year.

I hope he goes in the first round and makes it big in the NBA. A great season at Auburn would increase his stock substantially.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

If there is any year not to pass up a chance to be a 2nd round pick, it may be this draft given how weak it is. But I also understand why he wouldn't want to end up in the G-league if he really thinks he can get a 1st round grade next year, which is supposed to be a much stronger draft and include all the other people withdrawing from the draft and hoping to also get in the 1st round next year.

But glad he'll be at AU and hoping that CBP can continue his run of helping wing players up their draft stock.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

WTH has uat to do with AU basketball? You guys are freaking..... wusses. 

I'm getting a GWill vibe . I hope you are a member of a uat bb forum where you can get your jollies every time you refresh. 

I’m kind of confused, sorry for my naivety. Are you saying I’m an UAT fan or something?

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

If there is any year not to pass up a chance to be a 2nd round pick, it may be this draft given how weak it is. But I also understand why he wouldn't want to end up in the G-league if he really thinks he can get a 1st round grade next year, which is supposed to be a much stronger draft and include all the other people withdrawing from the draft and hoping to also get in the 1st round next year.

But glad he'll be at AU and hoping that CBP can continue his run of helping wing players up their draft stock.  

As I’ve stated in earlier posts, unless you are a lottery pick or you just want to be done with college, there’s really no reason to go pro anymore with NIL. You can make more with NIL than being a two way player in the league or going overseas as a pro. So yea, makes no sense to go pro anymore nowadays unless you are a top 15 pick.

11 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

WTH has uat to do with AU basketball? You guys are freaking..... wusses. 

I'm getting a GWill vibe . I hope you are a member of a uat bb forum where you can get your jollies every time you refresh. 

I’m thinking maybe you confused AUSCalum87 with someone else. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure you are reading him wrong. Way wrong 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I’m kind of confused, sorry for my naivety. Are you saying I’m an UAT fan or something?

No sir. I am deleting this. I didn't have my readers on and obviously replied to the wrong guy. My bad, I apologize. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

No sir. I am deleting this. I didn't have my readers on and obviously replied to the wrong guy. My bad, I apologize. 

Oh no worries, just a misunderstanding! I was making sure I didn’t say anything to make someone think I’m a fan of that team. Trust me, I have quite the disdain for UAT. I can’t even call them by their name or even speak their names without being nauseated 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh no worries, just a misunderstanding! I was making sure I didn’t say anything to make someone think I’m a fan of that team. Trust me, I have quite the disdain for UAT. I can’t even call them by their name or even speak their names without being nauseated 🤣 

Yep. That's why YOU don't post ad nauseum about uats BB coach. I meant to respond to that guy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yep. That's why YOU don't post ad nauseum about uats BB coach. I meant to respond to that guy. 

Oh gotcha, that makes sense! Yea, you will never see me defend them. I’ll say they have a good team but I’m not going to be defending them to make a point.

6 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I know you have made posts being shocked or confused about why X team is being predicted to do what - you have an opinion that your perception exceeds that of those who have made the case for Alabama or the statistics. You’ve admitted as much multiple times in these posts 

There is no reality in which you could view Alabama as deserving any of the praise that I or anyone has given them. Again, facts or emotions, you somehow construed my point of them playing more hard games lead to them having more opportunities to being blown out as something entirely different. That’s avoiding a piece of logic that would be nearly impossible to argue if you just took it straight on. 

I’ll even ask you again, if team A plays a significantly easier schedule than team B, do you think team B would be more likely to have blowouts? 

6 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, I don’t know how much of these guys look or watch basketball. It’s become comical right now. No way Purdue, Arizona or UNC in the top 3 seeds. Also, you can guarantee Auburn will have the toughest bracket, I’m more convinced now of that. The good news is that if we advance in the Maui tournament we can play UCONN and see where we stand. I also hope the rumors come to fruition that we play Purdue and Houston out of conference.

Shoutouts to Auburn for recognizing a fault and aiming for the fences with the OOC scheduling. I understand that Burgomaster and co. had the best intentions with USC and Indiana being better and I know some teams have not wanted to come into the jungle, but you gotta put your huevos on the table and make a man move, and whoever were rumored to play is supposed to be of the “man move” quality. It’s sorely needed 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

It was good that you deleted the post, because it didn’t make sense and you didn’t follow the trail of posts.
You’re seeing me post about Alabama these last few pages because people seem to really like my opinion on the subject - literally had a guy quote me asking for further clarity on my position with Alabama after I said I didn’t want to derail the thread further. That happened TWICE. 

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Shoutouts to Auburn for recognizing a fault and aiming for the fences with the OOC scheduling. I understand that Burgomaster and co. had the best intentions with USC and Indiana being better and I know some teams have not wanted to come into the jungle, but you gotta put your huevos on the table and make a man move, and whoever were rumored to play is supposed to be of the “man move” quality. It’s sorely needed 

I think it’s a little more complicated than that as well. Pearl has a reputation in college and isn’t liked by a lot of coaches due to some of his past transgressions. But also, I think they schedule OOC schedules strategically correlated with the strength of that year’s team. We had a pretty good schedule in 2018-2019 as well as when we had Jabari and Walker, not too tough but not weak. We’ve had weaker schedules in the past couple of years due to Bruce probably thinking that getting wins is more important to gain confidence with the team no matter who it’s against. As you pointed out as well though, last year we did schedule some tough OOC games with Baylor, USC and Indiana, who were all preseason top 20 teams. And played at App St., which no power conference team would ever do. So it wasn’t like he scheduled nothing but cupcakes, can’t help how teams do throughout the year. But for this year, from what I’ve been reading, it looks like Bruce is being really aggressive with the OOC schedule because he probably sees the potential of this team and wants them to get as much experience with the best teams as possible to be ready for the conference season and postseason.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Bruce is being really aggressive with the OOC schedule because he probably sees the potential of this team and wants them to get as much experience with the best teams as possible to be ready for the conference season and postseason.

I think if we’re anywhere close to being a potential contender, this should be the mode of operation. There’s definitely been weaker teams that it would’ve just been a waste of time to have them play like UConn or Houston, but an OOC gauntlet can’t do anything but help IMO. I know you don’t love metrics, but metrics help with seeding and a close loss in these big games seems to do more for you than beating the brains out of no ones