Men's team picks up transfer Guard Miles Kelly

2 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

You and I have discussed this earlier, and that was one of my issues with their team. There’s no way that many above average talented players are going to be happy only getting 5-7 minutes a game. Again, their coach only plays 7 guys a game of more than 15 minutes. It’s going to be an issue for them. It’s going to be whoever is producing and how is it going to go when one guy feels like they are doing better than the guy ahead of them but not getting minutes? Their coach isn’t like Pearl, it’s why there was a mass exodus of really good players leave. I will say again, our starting 5 is as good as theirs, minus Chaney.

Eh I wouldn’t say it’s an issue at all. Unless you have personalities that are going to make it an issue. From what I could tell, Oats hasn’t had that be an issue previously, but we’ll just have to see. 
All I know for a certainty is that they have the most depth in conference on paper, and it’s now on them to find a way to keep mouths fed. I, personally, would find a way to adjust my rotation to extend further than 8 deep, and keep some of that talent happy for next next season. They could have a real multi-year run if they figure that part out 

Just to keep it on topic, I still think Auburn, with Kelly, has the guard depth to keep up with Alabama (assuming they don’t find some magical way to get consistent contributions out of their 5th and 6th guards lol). Alabama will obv be ranked higher and predicted to finish higher, but Pearl has more than a fighting chance. 

It was absolutely paramount that we got Kelly - we would’ve got smoked guard core against guard core if we didn’t. S/o to Steven for landing the guy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh I wouldn’t say it’s an issue at all. Unless you have personalities that are going to make it an issue. From what I could tell, Oats hasn’t had that be an issue previously, but we’ll just have to see. 
All I know for a certainty is that they have the most depth in conference on paper, and it’s now on them to find a way to keep mouths fed. I, personally, would find a way to adjust my rotation to extend further than 8 deep, and keep some of that talent happy for next next season. They could have a real multi-year run if they figure that part out 

I’m not doubting that they have a talented roster. What I’m doubting is 1) Keeping everyone happy and 2) Deciding who gets to play the most minutes. And Oats has had locker room issues before, the year we had Jabari, they had some internal issues and they barely were .500 overall in the season. Again though, just look at the NBA level, it took a year for those guys to gel and they are PRO athletes. These are still college players and they aren’t the “best” at their positions, no where close. Broome is better than Nelson. Denver is better than Wrightsell. CBM is better than whoever they trot out. Again, I think media and Auburn fans alike have recency bias and forgot how bad UAT was going into the NCAA tournament. They almost lost to freaking Arkansas at home in their last week of regular season. I’m not trying to sound rude, but why do so many people gloss over that fact? And they only have 3 players returning from that team. They didn’t make some super upgrade at every position. I’m sorry, I’ve watched and played too much basketball and I’m not going to heap praise on a team that doesn’t deserve it.

• Love 4

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just to keep it on topic, I still think Auburn, with Kelly, has the guard depth to keep up with Alabama (assuming they don’t find some magical way to get consistent contributions out of their 5th and 6th guards lol). Alabama will obv be ranked higher and predicted to finish higher, but Pearl has more than a fighting chance. 

It was absolutely paramount that we got Kelly - we would’ve got smoked guard core against guard core if we didn’t. S/o to Steven for landing the guy. 

That’s why I’m feeling more confident than I did before we got Kelly. I was thinking Pearl was just going to get a guard like he got Hudson, very underwhelming and a depth piece. We instead got someone who’s a sharp shooter and a mismatch as a combo guard/wing. Kelly allowed us to play so many versatile lineups that UAT won’t be able to match. Again, we beat them 99-81 with a LESS talented team than they were last year. Why does that all of a sudden get ignored? Again, I’m not doubting they have a talented roster. I’m just thinking they are getting more praised than being deserved.

But yes, Kelly has made us go from being 5-8 in the SEC to a top team in the SEC. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I’m not doubting that they have a talented roster. What I’m doubting is 1) Keeping everyone happy and 2) Deciding who gets to play the most minutes. And Oats has had locker room issues before, the year we had Jabari, they had some internal issues and they barely were .500 overall in the season. Again though, just look at the NBA level, it took a year for those guys to gel and they are PRO athletes. These are still college players and they aren’t the “best” at their positions, no where close. Broome is better than Nelson. Denver is better than Wrightsell. CBM is better than whoever they trot out. Again, I think media and Auburn fans alike have recency bias and forgot how bad UAT was going into the NCAA tournament. They almost lost to freaking Arkansas at home in their last week of regular season. I’m not trying to sound rude, but why do so many people gloss over that fact? And they only have 3 players returning from that team. They didn’t make some super upgrade at every position. I’m sorry, I’ve watched and played too much basketball and I’m not going to heap praise on a team that doesn’t deserve it.

Not to be short at all, but I don’t think there’s a different conclusion we would reach now as compared to when we discussed this for pages last time lol. 

There’s smarter people than me that have made the case they’re a title favorite after the Sears news and there’s others that’ll make the case after. If you hear their evaluation and you still disagree, then that’s perfectly fine. We all have to reach our own conclusions on this stuff. For me, I see a roster that’s 11-12 deep with real talent, arguably the in-game/Xs and Os coach in CBB, and multiple upgrades over a roster that was F4 caliber. There’s never been a team that with that descriptor, ever, that hasn’t been considered a title favorite. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not to be short at all, but I don’t think there’s a different conclusion we would reach now as compared to when we discussed this for pages last time lol. 

There’s smarter people than me that have made the case they’re a title favorite after the Sears news and there’s others that’ll make the case after. If you hear their evaluation and you still disagree, then that’s perfectly fine. We all have to reach our own conclusions on this stuff. For me, I see a roster that’s 11-12 deep with real talent, arguably the in-game/Xs and Os coach in CBB, and multiple upgrades over a roster that was F4 caliber. There’s never been a team that with that descriptor, ever, that hasn’t been considered a title favorite. 

I agree we will disagree Iike we did last time, 🤣. I just like to look at facts and not emotion. 4 of our starting 5 goes toe to toe with them. And if Pearl decides to have a different lineup that has Kelly and CBM on the floor at the same time, I would take our starting five over theirs easily. 
And as for the media, most of them go with recency bias as well as they just like named programs to be successful. That’s just plain and simple. And there’s really nothing special about their offense. Chuck 30-40 3s a game and run many screens to get the open guy and drive to get fouls. Really nothing special. It’s why they got their clocks cleaned by any team with a pulse last year, including us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I agree we will disagree Iike we did last time, 🤣. I just like to look at facts and not emotion. 4 of our starting 5 goes toe to toe with them. And if Pearl decides to have a different lineup that has Kelly and CBM on the floor at the same time, I would take our starting five over theirs easily. 
And as for the media, most of them go with recency bias as well as they just like named programs to be successful. That’s just plain and simple. And there’s really nothing special about their offense. Chuck 30-40 3s a game and run many screens to get the open guy and drive to get fouls. Really nothing special. It’s why they got their clocks cleaned by any team with a pulse last year, including us.

Just for reference, they had more Quad 1 wins than us and beat a #1 seed that was 8th in the NET. I don't know if that's factual enough but...

I just wonder how a system (one that the majority of the NBA has adopted at this point, by the way) that is that simple gets to be the #2 offense...in the entire sport...72 points on a generational UConn team (I should've had Oats as #2 to Hurley, I honestly forgot about them for a sec), 45% from the floor and 48% from 3. An offense that at one point was top 5 in the history of KenPom (https://www.si.com/college/alabama/basketball/contextualizing-how-historically-good-the-alabama-basketball-offense-is). I don't know if KenPom has a vested interest in recency bias or "named programs" (I'd love to hear how a relatively podunk program from a historically non-relevant basketball conference is a "named program"), but that seems factual to me. 

Like I don't know if we're being at all honest about the facts vs emotion thing. I don't know if virtually anything said in the earlier post could be said without inserting emotion into it, and I don't mean that to be offensive. Is the implication supposed to be that our offensive scheme was nuanced in comparison? The heralded flex cut offense that's been fried every postseason for 3 years because our guards have been liabilities as ball handlers. The defense that prides itself on having perimeter players press up on the ball and have the centers run drop that also got fried from deep against Yale because our guards are midgets and reach instead of playing sound defense? And I think our defense is better than theirs, but if you just want to go find some bad stretch of a scheme failing, you can do that for every single one (except UConn's). The fact (!!) is their offensive scheme has worked year in and year out and its incomprehensible to think that it's a factual statement to say that scheme was "Really nothing special. It’s why they got their clocks cleaned by any team with a pulse last year, including us." when it was #2 in the entire sport while up against the #1 rated schedule in the entire sport (https://kenpom.com/). There's not an iota of a fact to be found there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just for reference, they had more Quad 1 wins than us and beat a #1 seed that was 8th in the NET. I don't know if that's factual enough but...

I just wonder how a system (one that the majority of the NBA has adopted at this point, by the way) that is that simple gets to be the #2 offense...in the entire sport...72 points on a generational UConn team (I should've had Oats as #2 to Hurley, I honestly forgot about them for a sec), 45% from the floor and 48% from 3. An offense that at one point was top 5 in the history of KenPom (https://www.si.com/college/alabama/basketball/contextualizing-how-historically-good-the-alabama-basketball-offense-is). I don't know if KenPom has a vested interest in recency bias or "named programs" (I'd love to hear how a relatively podunk program from a historically non-relevant basketball conference is a "named program"), but that seems factual to me. 

Like I don't know if we're being at all honest about the facts vs emotion thing. I don't know if virtually anything said in the earlier post could be said without inserting emotion into it, and I don't mean that to be offensive. Is the implication supposed to be that our offensive scheme was nuanced in comparison? The heralded flex cut offense that's been fried every postseason for 3 years because our guards have been liabilities as ball handlers. The defense that prides itself on having perimeter players press up on the ball and have the centers run drop that also got fried from deep against Yale because our guards are midgets and reach instead of playing sound defense? And I think our defense is better than theirs, but if you just want to go find some bad stretch of a scheme failing, you can do that for every single one (except UConn's). The fact (!!) is their offensive scheme has worked year in and year out and its incomprehensible to think that it's a factual statement to say that scheme was "Really nothing special. It’s why they got their clocks cleaned by any team with a pulse last year, including us." when it was #2 in the entire sport while up against the #1 rated schedule in the entire sport (https://kenpom.com/). There's not an iota of a fact to be found there

When I say look at facts, look at how they lost and how many games they won against teams with a pulse. Stats are deceiving and can be manipulated if I want to make a point, it’s why I don’t like using them when trying to make a point. I mean, using that logic, Auburn was a top 4 team in the NATION last year according to Kenpom. However, I never thought we were that good because we never really beat anyone before the NCAA tournament began.

And again, Pearl has had mediocre guards for the past 3 years, yet we somehow have won an SEC regular season title and an SEC tournament title, so he must be doing something right. This is his first year to have this sort of deep and talented guards. And yes, I told you that Bruce needs to have a better tournament showing than he has had the last three years, but again, the tournament is about matchups, you should know this. I mean, are you really not going to concede that UAT had the easiest path ever to the final four? And if you thought UNC was a good team at the end of the year, than I don’t know what to say. I was shocked they didn’t lose their second round game honestly, they were wayyy overrated. Again, how many times did Duke lose in the first and second rounds with immense talent? It’s about matchups and that’s what the NCAA tournament is. 
And yes, their offense is good, but it’s not out of this world. Again, tell me why they had so many close wins last year and blowout losses? Because, just like they have been since he has been there, if they can’t make 15 3s a game, they get stomped. They play absolutely no defense as well. Yes, they have good guards, but somehow Auburn’s pathetic team beat them by 18. How’d that happen if they were that good? I’ll say this too, Auburn would have beaten them again if we played them in the SEC tournament, because you know why? We were a bad matchup for them and we still are. 
I feel like I’m having to repeat myself over and over. I HAVE NEVER SAID THEY WERE A BAD TEAM. I recognize they have talent. However, can you please just answer me this question? Why do you continue to gloss over that towards the end of the year they had lost 4 of their last 6 which also included an OT win at home against freaking Arkansas and then gets blown out by UF? Then they get the luckiest of matchups towards the Final 4? I mean, throughout the year, I never saw them going to the Final 4. I saw them maybe going to the Sweet 16, but again, they got a lucky draw. As for overall best teams next year, I would have 1) UCONN (they are number 1 until they lose) 2)Kansas 3)Houston 4) Duke 5) Gonzaga 6) UAT 7) Auburn

Love yall but too much to read with the last two posts.  Oats likes to play his best players a lot of minutes and how tf do you keep mark sears off the court?  Will Aden be decent at the 2 spot?  They have so many mouths to feed I’m interested to see how that plays out culturally 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I look at their offense as a lot like the HUNH offense that dominated football a decade-decade and a half ago. It seems like teams are gradually coming up with ways to slow it down. You mentioned UConn- they play a more traditional style. I believe we will slowly see a return to a more balanced approach. It will be interesting to see if Oats can continue having success as teams come up with better ways to defend his schemes. Or whether he will fall into mediocrity like the one trick pony HUNH coaches like Gus and Chip Kelly did 

• Like 1

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

I look at their offense as a lot like the HUNH offense that dominated football a decade-decade and a half ago. It seems like teams are gradually coming up with ways to slow it down. You mentioned UConn- they play a more traditional style. I believe we will slowly see a return to a more balanced approach. It will be interesting to see if Oats can continue having success as teams come up with better ways to defend his schemes. Or whether he will fall into mediocrity like the one trick pony HUNH coaches like Gus and Chip Kelly did 

I mean, they had a very talented team last year and had double digit losses. They literally sacrifice their defense for offense. Again, why do people forget that without the lucky draw they got in the NCAA tournament they were an overrated team?
Also, there’s no way to keep everyone happy on that team. We have 2 players that probably know that they won’t be contributing much in CMo and Hudson while they have 13 players who think they are going to contribute significantly and it’s not going to end well at all. I’ve seen it too many times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Love yall but too much to read with the last two posts.  Oats likes to play his best players a lot of minutes and how tf do you keep mark sears off the court?  Will Aden be decent at the 2 spot?  They have so many mouths to feed I’m interested to see how that plays out culturally 

Aden played some 2 this year and you saw how that went. He will improve, because he can’t be worse. The question for them is they are only going to play about 8 guys. That means 5 of those guys aren’t going to get enough minutes to be happy, so what’s going to happen when things get rough? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I disagree about Oats being the best x and O's/in game coach. He is pretty mediocre against teams that he can't just out-talent. I truly believe Bruce gets more out of his players. If you give the two equal talent, I'll take Bruce every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

At DTR, again, I will throw the white flag, you and I will never agree on this topic. I apologize if I came across as being crass. I’m more focused on our team and I honestly don’t really care what they do until they play us. This is our best and most talented team heading into the season since I can remember. I’m ready to start discussing lineups and what Pearl will do to maximize the talent we have.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Getting back on topic, I haven’t seen anything about Miles Kelly yet. I don’t know if we’ll hear an announcement or not or if there’s somewhere online to check and see who decided to stay in the draft and who’s withdrawing.

45 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I mean, they had a very talented team last year and had double digit losses. They literally sacrifice their defense for offense. Again, why do people forget that without the lucky draw they got in the NCAA tournament they were an overrated team?
Also, there’s no way to keep everyone happy on that team. We have 2 players that probably know that they won’t be contributing much in CMo and Hudson while they have 13 players who think they are going to contribute significantly and it’s not going to end well at all. I’ve seen it too many times. 

CMO and Hudson will be contributing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Certainly possible, but there’s no trend on any level of basketball currently that would lend to that. 5 out offenses are what virtually all NBA coaches want, at least 4 out and 1 in. There’s not too many NBA sets that don’t begin with a high pick and roll. Many (not all) offenses look for pace and space, 3s and layups, and their ball handler spamming high PnRs. Out of the final 4 in the NBA, there’s a ton of those 4 in Bama’s offense. You mention UConn, who is also greatly ahead of the rest of the sport in where they adopted their concepts, which is primarily the Euroleague and the more-motion based offenses in the NBA (Spurs, GS warriors, etc). The point being that both were greatly ahead of where the majority of college ball is at. You should think less of their style as the HUNH and more like the shotgun/spread, the base formation most offenses build off of, unless they’re looking for bucking the trend as a minority (Michigan under Harbs). 

9 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I disagree about Oats being the best x and O's/in game coach. He is pretty mediocre against teams that he can't just out-talent. I truly believe Bruce gets more out of his players. If you give the two equal talent, I'll take Bruce every time.

People want to get back on topic, so I won’t derail the thread further, but there’s multiple games last year that clearly don’t agree with this assertion (UConn, Purdue, Creighton, namely). But yes, I’ll let the thread get back on track 

I imagine this is something that was part of the agreement between Broome’s family and the Pearl staff, but with the intention of Broome playing on the perimeter even more, hopefully we can adopt more pace and 5 out offense, ala 2018-19 Auburn. Hard to do much of that when your guards aren’t great at both being scoring threats AND playmakers, as we had last year, but hopefully the new order allows that to be a bit different. 

I think we played slower and ran more half court sets out of necessity, not to protect the defense or anything, but it would help us in some of those shootouts if we at least feel comfortable running consistent pace. I don’t think we’ll be completely abandoning the inside out style, but this roster should lean a lot more towards a perimeter based style 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

That’s why I’m feeling more confident than I did before we got Kelly. I was thinking Pearl was just going to get a guard like he got Hudson, very underwhelming and a depth piece. We instead got someone who’s a sharp shooter and a mismatch as a combo guard/wing. Kelly allowed us to play so many versatile lineups that UAT won’t be able to match. Again, we beat them 99-81 with a LESS talented team than they were last year. Why does that all of a sudden get ignored? Again, I’m not doubting they have a talented roster. I’m just thinking they are getting more praised than being deserved.

But yes, Kelly has made us go from being 5-8 in the SEC to a top team in the SEC. 

I agree with your assessments.  Bama lived & died by the 3 last year & that will more than likely be the case this year.   They had no inside game, and the teams they beat just didn't have the defensive philosophy figured out, nor the horses to stop it.   We pounded them inside that last game & they couldn't stop us.  While on defense BP figured out that when their guards start towards the basket, they were looking to kick out to an open 3 ball shooter instead of finishing at the rim.  So you keep your big men inside to stop the dribble drive & you instruct your guards to stay close to the screeners who (always) snuck out to the 3 point line & don't let them have wide open 3's and down goes Bama.

Therefore, I like where we sit where Bama is concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Turn me all the way up @AUSCalum87!!!! I like this new version of you!!!! Death to the tahhhhhhhhd and that hall and Oates ugly ass big ears backup singer!!!! All hayuuuuuul KAAAANG Bruce!!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Love it!!!

Here is some advice for ya. you got to know that @Dual-Threat Rigby is the biggest oats and bama bball fanboy around. He will defend him and their honor until he’s blue in the face and takes his dying breath. It’s why I don’t like him and don’t f#%*k with him. He loves talking about Oates and bama bball and singing their praises way more than AU and it overcooks the ish out of my grits and makes me get red in the face and as mad as Bruce would get at a bad KD play!!! 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Turn me all the way up @AUSCalum87!!!! I like this new version of you!!!! Death to the tahhhhhhhhd and that hall and Oates ugly ass big ears backup singer!!!! All hayuuuuuul KAAAANG Bruce!!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Love it!!!

Here is some advice for ya. you got to know that @Dual-Threat Rigby is the biggest oats and bama bball fanboy around. He will defend him and their honor until he’s blue in the face and takes his dying breath. It’s why I don’t like him and don’t f#%*k with him. He loves talking about Oates and bama bball and singing their praises way more than AU and it overcooks the ish out of my grits and makes me get red in the face and as mad as Bruce would get at a bad KD play!!! 😂😂

I appreciate the shoutout GWill, but I wouldn’t say I don’t like him, we just disagree when it comes to UAT. At the end of the day, basketball is just a sport I love, but there are much bigger and serious things to get upset about than sports. I’ve learned to drop conversations when I realize another person and I do not see eye to eye when it comes to sports, it’s not worth it to me. But no, I have no issues with DTR, he hasn’t said anything personally to make me not like him, we just disagree on that specific topic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lotto said:

Could just be feedback.

i agree. bruce gave the whole spiel about him so i doubt he changes his mind but i am wrong every coupleof years or so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I appreciate the shoutout GWill, but I wouldn’t say I don’t like him, we just disagree when it comes to UAT. At the end of the day, basketball is just a sport I love, but there are much bigger and serious things to get upset about than sports. I’ve learned to drop conversations when I realize another person and I do not see eye to eye when it comes to sports, it’s not worth it to me. But no, I have no issues with DTR, he hasn’t said anything personally to make me not like him, we just disagree on that specific topic.

You may like him but I don’t!!! 😂😂

• Wow 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

i sang man eater in a band probably before you were born. maybe not..........i did decent on it i do believe.