Men's team picks up transfer Guard Miles Kelly

al.com

Auburn basketball earns the commitment of Georgia Tech transfer guard Miles Kelly

Published: May. 26, 2024, 12:04 p.m.
~3 minutes

Auburn has won the commitment of Georgia Tech transfer guard Miles Kelly, bringing the Tigers’ hunt for “one more impactful guard” to a close, On3Sports’ Joe Tipton reported Sunday.

“We really need one more guy that has a chance to compete. It really doesn’t matter for me which position it’s going to be, whether it’s a 1/2 or a 2/1, a 2/3, a 3/2 — it doesn’t really matter,” Pearl said in a brief media availability on May 20 ahead of his Fore The Kids Golf Classic. “But it’ll be one more guard. We’ve tried to be really patient to get the right fit.”

When Kelly arrives to The Plains, he’ll do so fresh off a junior campaign at Georgia Tech, where he averaged 13.9 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game. Kelly’s 13.9 points per game led the Yellow Jackets last season. From the field, Kelly was good 36.9% of the time and 32.1% of the time from beyond the 3-point line.

Last season, Kelly posted games of 20-plus points eight times with his season-high coming from a 36-point performance at Louisville. Kelly was 11-for-20 from the field and 6-for-11 from the 3-point line in the loss to Louisville.

The year prior, during the 2022-23 season, Kelly was a bit more efficient as he shot the ball at a 41% rate from the field and a 37.9% rate from beyond the arc. Kelly finished his sophomore season averaging 14.4 points per game.

Out of high school, Kelly was rated a 4-star prospect and the third-ranked prospect out of the state of Virginia by 247Sports in the class of 2021.

Before committing to Georgia Tech, Kelly received offers from the likes of Miami, Mississippi State, Missouri, NC State and Texas A&M, among others.

With Kelly now in the fold, Auburn has reset its room of guards.

“I think that’s the last piece — one more impactful guard,” Pearl said on May 20. “If you think about what we’ve lost: Losing Aden (Holloway) and Tre (Donaldson), K.D. (Johnson) and then Lior (Berman), you lose four guards. And what have we brought in? We’ve brought in JP (Pegues), Tahaad (Pettiford) and Jahki (Howard).”

And with Sunday’s news, the Tigers have found their last piece in Kelly.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Auburn lands Georgia Tech transfer guard Miles Kelly

Bruce Pearl has put the finishing touches on his 2024-25 roster

Nathan King19 hrs

Bruce Pearl has put the finishing touches on his 2024-25 roster, and he's done so with an experienced scorer from the high-major level.

Georgia Tech transfer Miles Kelly has committed to Auburn, serving as the Tigers' third and final transfer addition of the offseason. Auburn now has 12 of 13 scholarship spots occupied for next season, and Pearl usually likes to leave one open to elevate a walk-on at a later time.

Kelly, a native of Stone Mountain, Georgia, started 59 games over the past two years for the Yellow Jackets, finishing as the team's leading scorer last season at 13.9 points per game. He scored 20 or more points on eight occasions last season.

Kelly is joins Furman point guard JP Pegues and SMU forward Ja'Heim Hudson as Auburn's transfer pickups this offseason.

Pearl spoke just last week about the Tigers' final roster spot, and how he didn't feel it was necessary to get another true point guard to complement Pegues, since 5-star freshman Tahaad Pettiford is considered by Auburn to be a combo guard. Pearl also mentioned that returning starter Denver Jones could see more time at point guard, too, depending on what kind of player the Tigers landed with their final roster spot.

"It really doesn't matter for me which position it's going to be — whether it's a 1/2 or a 2/1, a 2/3, a 3/2 — it doesn't really matter," Pearl said.

At 6-foot-6 — at least listed by Georgia Tech — Kelly fits in as a 2-guard who will can also play on the wing. That means Pettiford may be slotted as Auburn's backup point guard heading into summer workouts.

Kelly entered the portal last month after he improved defensively last season under first-year Georgia Tech coach Damon Stoudamire, but his offensive numbers dipped a bit, shooting 37 percent from the floor overall and 32 percent from deep, while committing 2.0 turnovers per game.

Still, Kelly gives Auburn an experienced and confident addition to an already impressive backcourt, which may be one of the Tigers' most complete crop of guards in at least a few years.

WAY-TOO-EARLY AUBURN LINEUP

PG: JP Pegues, Tahaad Pettiford, Denver Jones

SG: Denver Jones, Miles Kelly, Tahaad Pettiford

SF: Chad Baker-Mazara, Miles Kelly, Chris Moore, Jahki Howard

PF: Chaney Johnson, Ja'Heim Hudson

😄 Johni Broome, Dylan Cardwell

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

Another piece for the same story............i would hate you boys were thinking i posted the same stuff twice.......grins

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Men's team picks up transfer Guard Miles Kelly

Apparently he still has a workout scheduled with the Golden State Warriors tomorrow. Let’s pray that he does horrible and it motivates him throughout the season after he finally signs with Auburn.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Could just be feedback.

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Apparently he still has a workout scheduled with the Golden State Warriors tomorrow. Let’s pray that he does horrible and it motivates him throughout the season after he finally signs with Auburn.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about with Kelly. He wouldn’t have committed to us if he thought there was a legit chance of him getting drafted.

57 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about with Kelly. He wouldn’t have committed to us if he thought there was a legit chance of him getting drafted.

He ain't getting drafted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

He ain't getting drafted.

Exactly. Broome did this last year. He’s probably waiting for feedback and things he needs to work on for going pro. We will probably hear something later tonight or the end of the week that he has signed with us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Exactly. Broome did this last year. He’s probably waiting for feedback and things he needs to work on for going pro. We will probably hear something later tonight or the end of the week that he has signed with us.

Speaking of the draft, the bammers are literally begging, pleading, and offering sacrifices right now in hopes that Sears returns. Twitter is insane!

Edited by arktiger1975

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

Speaking of the draft, the bammers are literally begging, pleading, and offering sacrifices right now in hopes that Sears returns. Twitter is insane!

Yea, I actually have no idea what he will do. We were lucky that Broome decided to come back, because he has probably reached his peak and it was literally a decision to either go back to college and get paid pretty well or go pro overseas or be an undrafted free agent probably getting paid barely 6 figures. It was kind of like that for Jared Harper. I was so disappointed when decided to leave after our final 4 run but it made sense as well. 

It’s different now with NIL but the point still remains. There are very few guys each year who have a legitimate shot at playing in the NBA. For the most part, even the ones who get drafted late first round and second, they become two way players and have to prove their worth in the G league or overseas. Some players are ready to be done with college and start their pro careers. Others who come back are wanting the NIL but also feel like that being in college is more enjoyable than just being a pro athlete. 
So again, the question the player has to ask themselves is if I’m not a lottery pick or at least a first round pick, what’s the best option for me? Do I want to go to classes but also be the man on campus and get paid nicely or am I ready to be a pro basketball player and accept that going to the  NBA will be a struggle and bet on myself that I will make it, or am I just tired of college altogether? 
Not everyone is the same, but with Harper, him coming back really made no sense. He couldn’t develop anymore and he apparently felt like he could make it in the NBA, or at least play overseas, which he is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, I actually have no idea what he will do. We were lucky that Broome decided to come back, because he has probably reached his peak and it was literally a decision to either go back to college and get paid pretty well or go pro overseas or be an undrafted free agent probably getting paid barely 6 figures. It was kind of like that for Jared Harper. I was so disappointed when decided to leave after our final 4 run but it made sense as well. 

It’s different now with NIL but the point still remains. There are very few guys each year who have a legitimate shot at playing in the NBA. For the most part, even the ones who get drafted late first round and second, they become two way players and have to prove their worth in the G league or overseas. Some players are ready to be done with college and start their pro careers. Others who come back are wanting the NIL but also feel like that being in college is more enjoyable than just being a pro athlete. 
So again, the question the player has to ask themselves is if I’m not a lottery pick or at least a first round pick, what’s the best option for me? Do I want to go to classes but also be the man on campus and get paid nicely or am I ready to be a pro basketball player and accept that going to the  NBA will be a struggle and bet on myself that I will make it, or am I just tired of college altogether? 
Not everyone is the same, but with Harper, him coming back really made no sense. He couldn’t develop anymore and he apparently felt like he could make it in the NBA, or at least play overseas, which he is.

Obviously, for selfish reasons, I want Sears to stay in the draft. Looking at it objectively, if his goal is to make the NBA, he needs to stay in the draft. Two reasons. First of all, this year's draft class is incredibly weak, next year's will be much stronger. Secondly, he is unlikely to be a much hotter commodity than he is now. In other words, if he comes back to bama, his stock likely will remain about the same at best. But if he were to slip a bit, or even get hurt, it would take a dive.  If he comes back to bama, it would indicate to me he has given up on his NBA dream. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Obviously, for selfish reasons, I want Sears to stay in the draft. Looking at it objectively, if his goal is to make the NBA, he needs to stay in the draft. Two reasons. First of all, this year's draft class is incredibly weak, next year's will be much stronger. Secondly, he is unlikely to be a much hotter commodity than he is now. In other words, if he comes back to bama, his stock likely will remain about the same at best. But if he were to slip a bit, or even get hurt, it would take a dive.  If he comes back to bama, it would indicate to me he has given up on his NBA dream. 

I mean, if we’re being objective, I can’t disagree with you on that. Some might think we’re being biased because we go for Auburn, but honestly, it’s the truth. It’s like with Broome. He will more than likely at the very best be a two way player. For a guard to be in the league, you have to be ELITE at something to make it. Going back to Jared, if he was 3-4 inches taller, he would be on an NBA team right now. For Sears, it’s basically the same thing. He’s a good college player, but more than likely he’ll be overseas or G league the rest of his career. There’s nothing ELITE about him that makes him special. I mean, our guards for the most part contained him and he struggled with bigger guards throughout the year. 
So, yea, him coming back would have nothing to do with development, it will be if he just knows that he won’t make it as an NBA player and wants to enjoy college one more year. That is literally all there is to his decision. Him coming back won’t make him any better, because, unlike the NFL, the NBA drafts you off of potential. Sears is where Broome is, where they are pretty much reaching their potential. At least with Broome he can work on his outside shot, which would make him a solid backup in the NBA. Sears can’t grow any taller or get any faster. Broome probably saw the writing on the wall and felt like coming back was a much better option than getting paid less going pro with NIL. That again is a significant factor for many college players coming back. Unless you are a first round pick, or a lottery pick for that matter, you can get paid as much staying in college than getting a two way contract. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

To add to this: Alex Karaban from UCONN was projected anywhere from late first round to early second pick for this year and is headed back to UCONN. Again, being objective, there are only two reasons to leave college now: You’re a lottery pick or top 20 pick or you are just ready to become a pro basketball player. With NIL now, it can compete with these two way contracts in the NBA. So, there’s your answer to who will be staying or going. I thought Karaban was leaving but he came back, probably has a great NIL deal compared to having to fight for a G League spot. 

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 2

I saw a tweet a little while ago that said the Sears is staying in the draft. But I found out right after that no, he is indeed staying. Talk about a turd in the punch bowl as far as news. 😡 

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

I saw a tweet a little while ago that said the Sears is staying in the draft. But I found out right after that no, he is indeed staying. Talk about a turd in the punch bowl as far as news. 😡 

I mean, not surprising. Like we discussed earlier in this thread, unless you are a lottery pick or just tired of being in college, you’re going back to college, especially with NIL now. It doesn’t make them that much better. I mean, do Auburn fans forget that we beat that team last year 99-81 and could have been worse? I think their easy tournament run has really clouded the perception of their team. Before the tournament, they were an afterthought, and then they got an easy path and all of a sudden they are unstoppable? I don’t get it I guess. I mean, where did they upgrade on their team? The Rutgers guy is a great defensive guy but literally has no offense. Where else did they upgrade? People will say there bench is talented, it’s true, but I just don’t see this unstoppable force.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I mean, not surprising. Like we discussed earlier in this thread, unless you are a lottery pick or just tired of being in college, you’re going back to college, especially with NIL now. It doesn’t make them that much better. I mean, do Auburn fans forget that we beat that team last year 99-81 and could have been worse? I think their easy tournament run has really clouded the perception of their team. Before the tournament, they were an afterthought, and then they got an easy path and all of a sudden they are unstoppable? I don’t get it I guess. I mean, where did they upgrade on their team? The Rutgers guy is a great defensive guy but literally has no offense. Where else did they upgrade? People will say there bench is talented, it’s true, but I just don’t see this unstoppable force.

Good points. It reminds me a bit of our 2003 football team. The big upset win over bama and the bowl win over Penn State at the end of the 2002 season clouded perception of our 2003 team, and got us a lot higher ranking than we deserved to open the season. I see a lot of similarities between that team and bama basketball going into next season. Their Final Four run was also very reminiscent of TCU's run in football in 2022.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Speaking of an afterthought, I wonder if Aden would have gone there if he knew Sears were returning? Because he sure ain't going to be PG #1 on that team. Just goes to show that, when you make decisions purely out of spite and pettiness, it usually comes back to bite you in the a--. My guess is Aden will be right back in the portal again in the spring of 2025.

• Like 1

Whoever loses out of Aden and Philon may as well go ahead and get their transfer portal papers together lol

They’re going to have a generational offense, should be fun to watch 

24 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Good points. It reminds me a bit of our 2003 football team. The big upset win over bama and the bowl win over Penn State at the end of the 2002 season clouded perception of our 2003 team, and got us a lot higher ranking than we deserved to open the season. I see a lot of similarities between that team and bama basketball going into next season. Their Final Four run was also very reminiscent of TCU's run in football in 2022.

That’s an apt comparison and I agree. Most of the media seem to forget about what UAT did before the tournament. And again, where did they upgrade besides that center from Rutgers, who actually takes away their offensive prowess. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Whoever loses out of Aden and Philon may as well go ahead and get their transfer portal papers together lol

They’re going to have a generational offense, should be fun to watch 

You and I have discussed this earlier, and that was one of my issues with their team. There’s no way that many above average talented players are going to be happy only getting 5-7 minutes a game. Again, their coach only plays 7 guys a game of more than 15 minutes. It’s going to be an issue for them. It’s going to be whoever is producing and how is it going to go when one guy feels like they are doing better than the guy ahead of them but not getting minutes? Their coach isn’t like Pearl, it’s why there was a mass exodus of really good players leave. I will say again, our starting 5 is as good as theirs, minus Chaney.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Sorry to derail the thread, back to Miles Kelly. Can’t wait to see what he brings to our team. I think he is another mismatch that we can exploit with other teams, including UAT ;)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Sorry to derail the thread, back to Miles Kelly. Can’t wait to see what he brings to our team. I think he is another mismatch that we can exploit with other teams, including UAT ;)

Has he officially signed yet? I will breathe easier once he has. 

4 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Has he officially signed yet? I will breathe easier once he has. 

I believe sometime this week he will. He’s going through the draft process as well.

2 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I believe sometime this week he will. He’s going through the draft process as well.

Just to get an evaluation, I hope. He certainly isn't getting drafted at this point. 

43 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Just to get an evaluation, I hope. He certainly isn't getting drafted at this point. 

Oh no, not at all. I don’t see him anywhere near the draft boards for either rounds.

• Like 1