Mens Golf NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now in 4th OSU just had a couple of double bogey's I believe that is where we will end up for the day. OSU still has about 5 holes to play but I don't see them making 4 or 5 birdies on those holes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got off to a decent start but have since gone to 3 over and in 8th. Teams ahead of us is even or under par don't know what is going us.........going to drive me to drink

We have about 8 holes left to play.

• Sad 2

We ended tied for 6th with UNC total score 15 over really thought we would get to single digits. Top 15 advance for tomorrow to get into top 8. Lets see what happens tomorrow..........................

Illinois is leading with 2 under they've had a good golf program for a while seems weird but they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

auburntigers.com

No. 1 Auburn survives first cut at NCAA Championship

Auburn University Athletics
5–6 minutes

CARLSBAD, Calif. – A third consecutive round of 5-over 293 on Sunday was enough to keep No. 1 Auburn men's golf above the first cutline and advance to the fourth round of stroke play at the 2024 NCAA Championship hosted at the Omni La Costa Champions Course.

After 54 holes of play, Auburn stands tied for sixth place at 15-over. The Tigers are 17 shots back of the lead and 12 shots ahead of the first cut, which came at 27-over.

"I think we're still hitting too many sloppy shots," Tigers head coach Nick Clinard said. "We've got to be more disciplined with our targets and sight lines coming into the greens. It's a tough golf course, but I think it was more scorable today than to the last two days, and we didn't take advantage of it."

For Monday's fourth round, Auburn plays with Florida and Arizona and will tee off from the 10th hole at 1:51 p.m. CT. To survive the next cut and advance to match play, the Tigers need a top eight finish.

Sunday's heroes were the Orange & Blue's dynamic freshmen, Josiah Gilbert and Jackson Koivun. Gilbert supplied Auburn's lone subpar round of the day with a 1-under 71. He finished strong with four pars and two birdies over his final six holes. Koivun carded an even 72. He matched three bogeys with birdies on 1, 15 and 17.

Senior J.M. Butler and junior Carson Bacha came in with a pair of 3-over 75s. Butler made two birdies, 15 and 18, bringing his career tally to 530, which is good for third in program history behind Matt Gilchrest's 533 and Jovan Rebula's 543.

Junior Brendan Valdes was Auburn's drop score Saturday. He shot 4-over 76.

Teams failing to advance to the fourth round were No. 20 California, Clemson, LSU, No. 23 New Mexico, North Florida, Notre Dame, No. 24 Oklahoma State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, No. 21 Texas A&M, No. 11 Texas Tech, Utah, Wake Forest and West Virginia. 

Players Mentioned

Carson Bacha

Carson Bacha

5' 8" Redshirt Junior

J.M. Butler

J.M. Butler

6' 3" Senior

Brendan Valdes

Brendan Valdes

6' 0" Junior

Josiah Gilbert

Josiah Gilbert

5' 9" Freshman

Jackson Koivun

Jackson Koivun

5' 10" Freshman

247sports.com

Auburn mens golf tied for 6th at NCAA Championships

Jason Caldwell

5–6 minutes

Auburn men's golf is tied for sixth at the NCAA Championships.

For the third-straight day, the No. 1 Auburn Tigers shot a round of +5 (293) to make the initial 15-team cut at the NCAA Championships on Sunday. With another cut coming after 72 holes to determine the eight teams that will advance to the match play portion of the tournament on Tuesday, Auburn finds itself tied for sixth at +15 along with North Carolina. Florida finished at +20 to end the day in eighth place.

"I thought the first nine or 10 holes played as easy as this place has played," Clinard tells Auburnundercover.com. "We didn't have a lot of wind and we got off early and it was softer. Once again, we just played some sloppy golf. We played the par 5's at four-over today. Illinois played them at five-under. That's kind of where they smoked us today. 

"We just really haven't played that well this week. Golf is a funny game. We haven't played that well. As coaches, we're kind of waiting for us to break out. Hopefully that's tomorrow. I think they can do it."

Illinois leads the way after 54 holes with a team score of -2 following the round of the tournament on Sunday, when the Illini were six-under par as a team. Virginia (+4), Vanderbilt (+9), Florida State (+10) and Ohio State (+13) round out the top five after Sunday's play.

For Auburn, true freshman Josiah Gilbert had the top round of the day, firing a 71 to match the low round of the tournament for the Tigers to this point. Fellow freshman Jackson Koivun had a 72 while JM Butler and Carson Bacha both finished with a 75. Brendan Valdes finished off the scoring with a 76.

Behind Florida, Arizona and Georgia Tech both finished at +21 with Texas (+23), Baylor (+24), Tennessee (+27) and East Tennessee State (+27) all in the clubhouse already with half of the 30-team field still on the course.

Safely through to Monday, Clinard said this goal for his team is to come out and play their best golf.

"We just talked to them and said 'hey, we haven't played very well this week.' They know it and we know it. We're the best team in the country. Let's go win the day tomorrow. Go compete for each other and play Auburn golf."

TV coverage on Golf Channel begins at 5 p.m. on Monday. They will show coverage from Tuesday's match play quarterfinals at both noon and 5 p.m. with the finals coverage beginning at 5 p.m. on Wednesday. All times are CDT.

We're in 6th atm hanging on by the skin of our teeth.........with approx 4 holes to play this course is just eating us up

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We're in 6th atm hanging on by the skin of our teeth.........with approx 4 holes to play this course is just eating us up

We look to be in but dang this place has been tough on us. Hopefully we can get a grip on things. 

Posted (edited)

Jackson Koivun making a move at the individual with a birdie to put him at -2 and one shot off the lead. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 3

Finished 6th :timeout:  we'll be playing Virginia to start match play. Totally different game with match play one bad hole will not kill you.

At one time today we had fallen all the way down to 11th but we started making some birdie's on our back nine.

• Love 1

Saw this on X, that is some tough luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Saw this on X, that is some tough luck.

yeah I was watching it this morning and it hit the flag stick dead solid and straight back into a sand trap and damn he almost holed out the sand shot to tie.

Golf Channel will be carrying the matches starting at 1:00 EDT

• Like 1

Doing work today! Come on Tigers! Let's get this!

• Like 2

OSU up next watching OSU and Vandy was weird the last few holes balls going all over the place 

• Like 2

I really appreciate these updates, guys. I can't watch video, so I go to the NCAA website. It provides some tallies that are enlightening regarding the play of individuals on the team.

For example, vs Ohio State, the numbers indicate (as of this moment) Valdes up 1, Kolvum up 1 thru 17, and Butler up 2 thru 16, Bacca and Gilbert down 1 each, so as of the latest post, Auburn is currently 3-2-0 vs Ohio State with play ongoing.

https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=match&tid=29191&rid=2

Koyvun had a 2 hole lead going to 17 & just threw up all himself on 17 & 18 & let his opponent tie him.  He is well inside the OSU player on the playoff hole & has 10-13 Ft. for birdie.  Make this putt & probably put us in the Championship Match.

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Koyvun had a 2 hole lead going to 17 & just threw up all himself on 17 & 18 & let his opponent tie him.  He is well inside the OSU player on the playoff hole & has 10-13 Ft. for birdie.  Make this putt & probably put us in the Championship Match.

Missed it!  Going to 2nd playoff hole.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Missed it!  Going to 2nd playoff hole.

Koivun WINS!!!!  We playing for the National Championship tomorrow BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

FSU next

• Like 1

Let’s finish this! Beat FSU! 

• Like 2