Mens Golf NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question for Golf, or anyone else who might have an answer: how is this tournament being played in Carlsbad, CA, and the designated host is the University of Texas? I keep seeing the Longhorn logo of our new conference counterparts on all of the flags. Any information is appreciated 😀

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Question for Golf, or anyone else who might have an answer: how is this tournament being played in Carlsbad, CA, and the designated host is the University of Texas? I keep seeing the Longhorn logo of our new conference counterparts on all of the flags. Any information is appreciated 😀

Great question...I wondered the same thing so, after seeing your post, I looked it up.  Interesting backstory!  In a nutshell, the Carlsbad site will likely be the permanent home of the men's and women's championships (like Oklahoma City is for softball and Omaha is for baseball).  No California schools stepped up to sponsor the tournament so someone at UT decided to take the lead.  One of their megadonors owns the Omni and they got him onboard to make it happen (and make it as permanent as things can be).  Here's the full story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/how-texas-golf-is-the-host-of-the-ncaa-championships-on-a-course-1300-miles-away-bohls/ar-BB1mWBVl

Edited by Golden Eagle
corrected that baseball championship is in Omaha, not Oklahoma City.
  • Thanks 2

Jackson Koivan won it for us in extra holes after blowing a 2-shot lead on the last 2 holes. I couldn’t be happier for him. That’s the kind of meltdown that it would be hard to come back from if he ended up losing. This kid is tough as nails to regain his composure and nail that birdie putt that sent us to the National Championship match tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Great question...I wondered the same thing so, after seeing your post, I looked it up.  Interesting backstory!  In a nutshell, the Carlsbad site will likely be the permanent home of the men's and women's championships (like Oklahoma is for softball and baseball).  No California schools stepped up to sponsor the tournament so someone at UT decided to take the lead.  One of their megadonors owns the Omni and they got him onboard to make it happen (and make it as permanent as things can be).  Here's the full story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/how-texas-golf-is-the-host-of-the-ncaa-championships-on-a-course-1300-miles-away-bohls/ar-BB1mWBVl

Thanks for answering I know it looks weird to see Texas as the host but the article does a good job of explaining 

3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Jackson Koivan won it for us in extra holes after blowing a 2-shot lead on the last 2 holes. I couldn’t be happier for him. That’s the kind of meltdown that it would be hard to come back from if he ended up losing. This kid is tough as nails to regain his composure and nail that birdie putt that sent us to the National Championship match tomorrow. 

Absolutely true it could really have screwed up his mentality for his golf game I was scared to death of just that happening after the last two holes but like you said tough as nails I’m so proud of him 

23 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Great question...I wondered the same thing so, after seeing your post, I looked it up.  Interesting backstory!  In a nutshell, the Carlsbad site will likely be the permanent home of the men's and women's championships (like Oklahoma is for softball and baseball).  No California schools stepped up to sponsor the tournament so someone at UT decided to take the lead.  One of their megadonors owns the Omni and they got him onboard to make it happen (and make it as permanent as things can be).  Here's the full story:

Awesome! Thank you Golden Eagle!

• Like 1

WAR DAMN!

if we pull this off it would be the ultimate revenge tour. UVA and FSU. 

• Like 3

After watching yesterday intently;  I feel really good about our last 3 matches, and if we could pick up 1 in our first 2 matches I would really be

bubbling with confidence.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

It will be on the Golf Channel at 6:00 EDT

to me golf is more fun playing than watching unless there is intense pressure. mostly because i have no idea of what all is going on. i am a beer and cart guy.

45 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

After watching yesterday intently;  I feel really good about our last 3 matches, and if we could pick up 1 in our first 2 matches I would really be

bubbling with confidence.

let us kick some big booty butt then. that sounded weird huh? lol

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

let us kick some big booty butt then. that sounded weird huh? lol

Yea a little weird sounding.   So do you want to kick booty or kick butt?😜

9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yea a little weird sounding.   So do you want to kick booty or kick butt?😜

i am high to ward off the chemo which is messing up my posting style for the record. i will do better. i hope............

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am high to ward off the chemo which is messing up my posting style for the record. i will do better. i hope............

Just keep doin what you do man.  We all understand and appreciate you.

• Love 2

19 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Just keep doin what you do man.  We all understand and appreciate you.

well one of my nicnames in the hood is the big dummy...............true story. i do enjoy posting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flipped over to golf channel just in time to see our guy lose a hole by 4 putting a par 5!! I just turned it back off, too much history of playing poorly in championships across all sports to watch! Argh, War Eagle and hopefully I'm surprised when I look at the results tomorrow.

Looks like we’re all tied up at 2-2-1 at the moment. I’m not able to watch right now. 

Auburn currently up by 1. Bacha and Gilbert need to step up their play.

• Like 1

Koivun smoked his guy to put us up 1-0.  Bacha & Gilbert stinking it up. Probably both going to lose shortly to make it 2-1 FSU.  Valdez looking good to then make it 2-2.

So that leaves Butler who just went 1 Up in his match.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, it looks like it will probably be down to Butler, although Bacha has pulled within 1 going into 18.

Edited by AURex

Don't look now, but Bacha has a good shot at winning 18 & going to extra holes. Wow!  Gilbert just lost his match. Tied at 1-1 now.

• Like 1

Bacha tied it up. Good on him!

Just now, AURex said:

Bacha tied it up. Good on him!

Very cool!