Ike Irish, Cade Belyeu grab all-SEC honors

al.com

Auburn baseball’s Ike Irish, Cade Belyeu grab all-SEC honors

Published: May. 20, 2024, 4:33 p.m.

~2 minutes

AUBURN, AL - MAY 17 - Auburn Outfielder Cade Belyeu (14) during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the Alabama Crimson Tide at Plainsman Park in Auburn, AL on Friday, May 17, 2024. Photo by David Gray/Auburn TigersDavid Gray/Auburn Tigers

Auburn baseball saw two of its players earn all-SEC honors as the SEC announced its 2024 baseball awards Monday.

Auburn sophomore Ike Irish earned all-SEC first-team honors, while freshman Cade Belyeu was named to the league’s Freshman all-SEC team.

After making appearances as Auburn’s catcher, designated hitter and right fielder throughout the season, Irish landed on the SEC’s first team as a designated hitter/utility player and is just the second Auburn position player to earn first-team honors since 2011. During his sophomore campaign, Irish led the Tigers in batting average with a .319 mark, as well as a team-leading 59 RBIs.

Meanwhile, Belyeu, an Auburn native, ended the season having hit .286 on 38 appearances and 26 starts in his rookie season with the Tigers. With 15 of his 27 hits going for extra bases, Belyeu posted a team-best .632 slugging percentage, while also tying for third on the team with eight home runs despite logging less than 100 at-bats in 2024.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 2

my treatmentapologies on this being late i had to do my prechemo visit for chemo tomorrow. before you feel bad for me letme say they have some wonderful ladies there...........

Would love to get Irish back but that's probably a pipe dream?  Belyeu was terrific, too, though...glad he got a chance to shine and he should be back next year.  Does anybody know what happened with Joseph Gonzalez?  I guess he's gone after this year but I never found any explanation for why he only pitched once or twice...did he end up having surgery or what is his injury?

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my treatmentapologies on this being late i had to do my prechemo visit for chemo tomorrow. before you feel bad for me letme say they have some wonderful ladies there...........

I hope your chemo hasn't been too rough...how are you feeling?  Hope and pray you're doing well, Fifty.

2 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I hope your chemo hasn't been too rough...how are you feeling?  Hope and pray you're doing well, Fifty.

i thought about you last night as i was munching on golden flake cheese curls. grins  my chemo is fine.lots of itching and i am broke out like a meth head but i am fine actually. and chem brain. i posted a football article on the baseball side............grins.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Would love to get Irish back but that's probably a pipe dream?  Belyeu was terrific, too, though...glad he got a chance to shine and he should be back next year.  Does anybody know what happened with Joseph Gonzalez?  I guess he's gone after this year but I never found any explanation for why he only pitched once or twice...did he end up having surgery or what is his injury?

Irish is a soph and I don't think he or Stanfield are eligible for the major league draft for another year. Unless some rule has changed they both will be playing college ball next season. Lets hope they are playing at Auburn.

Gonzales has never fully recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Irish is a soph and I don't think he or Stanfield are eligible for the major league draft for another year. Unless some rule has changed they both will be playing college ball next season. Lets hope they are playing at Auburn.

Gonzales has never fully recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered.

Thank you.  I thought since high-school grads can be drafted, college students could be drafted as well but I was wrong.  Per Wikipedia,

Eligibility

To be drafted, a player must fit the following criteria:[33]

• Be a resident of, or have attended an educational institution in, the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico.[b] Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team unless they have attended an educational institution in the aforementioned areas.
  • Has never signed a major or minor league contract.
  • High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.
  • Players at four-year colleges and universities are eligible three years after first enrolling in such an institution, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first).
  • Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.

Gonzalez hasn't really played in 2 years which seems nuts.  Did he have surgery?  Will he be able to play again/be drafted?  I can't find any articles explaining his status, just vague statements from CBT saying he's not ready, he's rehabbing, etc. 

9 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Gonzalez hasn't really played in 2 years which seems nuts.  Did he have surgery?  Will he be able to play again/be drafted?  I can't find any articles explaining his status, just vague statements from CBT saying he's not ready, he's rehabbing, etc. 

He had surgery on his shoulder. Beyond that, vague statements are all I've seen. I don't see him getting drafted unless he comes back for another year of college ball and does very well. He wasn't really a good pro prospect anyway. He had good control and a nice selection of off speed pitches but a pro level fastball has never been there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He wasn't really a good pro prospect anyway

Some services had him rated very high for a MLB pick before his injury (I think  I read where it was more in the shoulder blade than the shoulder joint). He’s a sinker baller by trade but he can get up to 93-94. Prior to the injury his stuff reminded me a lot of Greg Maddux. Everything moved and darted. I hope he comes back and returns to form. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Gonzalez hasn't really played in 2 years which seems nuts.  Did he have surgery? 

My understanding of the surgery was that it was on his shoulder blade and not the shoulder joint. Very peculiar injury. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

My understanding of the surgery was that it was on his shoulder blade and not the shoulder joint. Very peculiar injury. 

do you wear red socks sir?people are afraid to ask you but not me! you know i will ask or say anything short of being banned.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think he or Stanfield are eligible

According to one of the other sites, Standfield is because of his age. It would be a mistake for him to go right now, in my opinion. Seems like most of the balls his puts in play are can of corn pop ups and big hop ground balls. Neither of those allow him to take advantage of his biggest gift: speed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some services had him rated very high for a MLB pick before his injury (I think  I read where it was more in the shoulder blade than the shoulder joint). He’s a sinker baller by trade but he can get up to 93-94. Prior to the injury his stuff reminded me a lot of Greg Maddux. Everything moved and darted. I hope he comes back and returns to form. 

Well, if he's another Maddux, then yes but the best I saw was a "poor man's Maddux".

• Haha 1