Mickey Dean Era officially ends / candidates to replace him

Posted (edited)

al.com

‘He’s done so much for us’: Auburn softball’s Mickey Dean Era officially comes to an end

Published: May. 20, 2024, 6:00 a.m.

4–5 minutes

Head Coach Mickey Dean during the game between the Weber State Wildcats and the Auburn Tigers at Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, OK on Friday, Mar 17, 2023. Jamie Holt/Auburn TigersJamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Nearly eight weeks after he announced his intentions to retire at the conclusion of the 2024 season, Auburn head softball coach Mickey Dean coached his last game with the Tigers on Sunday night as Auburn suffered a season-ending, 10-4 loss to Florida State in the Tallahassee Regional’s championship game.

In the postgame press conference, Dean was flanked by Auburn leftfielder KK McCrary and Auburn third baseman Annabelle Widra, who had both been crying as evident by smeared eye black and puffy, red eyes.

Meanwhile, Dean seemed to be keeping it together up until it was time he field the first question of the press conference.

“Has that even hit you yet?,” a reporter asked, referring to Dean having coached his last game with the Tigers.

Dean laughed, fidgeting with a napkin he’d crumpled up in his right hand.

“Yeah, it’s hit me,” Dean responded.

Asked to elaborate on what he was feeling after having coached his final game with Auburn, Dean stammered before finally finding the words.

“I’m just glad I got to share it with them,” Dean said, gesturing towards his players sitting on each side of him.

And that’s all he was going to say of the matter, careful not to let his emotions overcome him.

As for McCrary, who dropped her head and covered her eyes, and Widra, who wiped away a tear with the right sleeve of her jersey, there was no sense in trying to keep the emotions from flowing.

“I’m just really forever in debt to Coach Dean. I’ve just really enjoyed playing under him and all I ever wanted was a chance and a jersey,” said McCrary, who transferred to Auburn in 2023 after spending two seasons at Tennessee.

Auburn announced Dean’s decision to retire at the conclusion of the 2024 season in a press release on March 26 — two days after Auburn was swept by Texas A&M on the road, dropping the Tigers to 2-7 in SEC play.

In the release, Dean said his decision came after “several previous conversations.”

“This was my decision and while it was a difficult one, it is what I felt was best for me and the program moving forward to allow me to focus time on personal matters,” Dean said in the release.

This season — Dean’s final — Auburn finished with a 29-21-1 (9-15 SEC) record — the second-worst record the Tigers have posted during Dean’s seven-year tenure, not including the Covid-shortened season in 2020.

And the reality is, the job won’t be getting any easier as both Texas and Oklahoma, which currently hold the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the NCAA Tournament, are set to join the SEC next season.

Chances are, Dean recognized that and knew it wouldn’t be in Auburn’s best interest if he stuck around and tried to juggle coaching duties with whatever personal matters are needing his attention.

So the Mickey Dean Era comes to a end.

“I just think we have such a feeling of gratitude towards Coach Dean... He’s done so much for us,” Widra said. “I think we’re just going to take a little bit of time and remember our season and remember our seniors because we had a really great group. And then with the announcement of the new coach, we’re going to come back ready to grind and do it all over again.”

With Auburn’s season officially over, the attention turns to Auburn athletic director John Cohen as he searches for Dean’s replacement. And with a pair of powerhouses in Texas and Oklahoma joining an already dangerously deep SEC next year, making the right hire is as crucial as ever for the Tigers.

Who might replace Dean? Here’s a list of candidates.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Edited by aubiefifty

you guys can bring the heat if you feel the need but i never cared for mickey much. hell i liked mickey mouse more. was he a decent coach mikey? he had a hard act to follow.

• Like 1

Auburn Tigers Sports

Who could replace Auburn softball’s Mickey Dean and why the hire matters now more than ever

Updated: Mar. 27, 2024, 12:07 p.m.|

Published: Mar. 27, 2024, 11:31 a.m.

By

Ainslie Lee | alee@al.com

After “several previous conversations” with Auburn athletic director John Cohen, Mickey Dean decided to do what he felt was best for the Auburn softball program: step down as head coach at the conclusion of the 2024 season.

Dean’s decision to retire was officially announced in a press release Tuesday night.

“I came to Athletic Director John Cohen this week after several previous conversations with him and made the difficult decision to step down as the head coach of the Auburn softball program at the conclusion of this season,” Dean said in the release. “This was my decision and while it was a difficult one, it is what I felt was best for me and the program moving forward to allow me to focus time on personal matters.”

According to the release, Dean will continue to serve as a “special assistant to the athletic director” following the 2024 season, which will be his seventh as Auburn’s head coach.

The good news for Cohen is he’ll have ample time to sift through candidates as there’s still about six weeks left of the college softball season.

And in the case of Auburn’s program, perhaps now more than ever, it’s vital Cohen get it right.

As of Tuesday’s announcement, nine of the 13 SEC softball programs ranked inside the top 25 of ESPN/USA Softball’s college softball rankings.

And while Auburn isn’t one of those teams after a 15-9-1 (2-7 SEC) start to the 2024 season, the Tigers are still receiving votes in the polls — as are South Carolina, Kentucky and Ole Miss.

That means each of the 13 softball teams in the SEC are either ranked inside the top 25 or are right on the outside looking in — and that speaks volumes to how competitive of a league SEC softball is.

However, if the league is competitive now, what does one expect it to look like when Oklahoma and Texas, the first- and second- ranked teams in the country right now, join next year?

In SEC softball, it’s about to be “eat or be eaten.” Or, rather, “stay ahead or fall way, way behind.”

And that’s why the hiring of Auburn’s next softball coach really matters.

All that said, who are some potential, way-too-early candidates for the vacancy? An alphabetical run-down:

Emily Carosone — Auburn assistant coach

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Auburn’s next head coach comes from inside the program as the Tigers currently have former Auburn standout Emily Carosone on their staff. Carosone, who played for Auburn 2013-16, was elevated to associate head coach in August after having just finished up her third season as an assistant back at her alma mater. Based on the promotion, it’s clear Carosone is committed to Auburn’s success and shows great promise as a young coach. However, again, given the need to get this hire right, now might not be the time to roll the dice on someone without head coaching experience.

• aubiefifty changed the title to Mickey Dean Era officially ends / candidates to replace him
21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you guys can bring the heat if you feel the need but i never cared for mickey much. hell i liked mickey mouse more. was he a decent coach mikey? he had a hard act to follow.

My personal opinion, on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give Dean a 4. This recent season could have been a great one if four players, all good hitters, hadn't jumped ship to other schools over the summer . Bri Ellis to Arky, Jessi Blaine to Moo State, Denver Bryant to USCe and Lindsey Garcia to Clemson would all have been starters at AU this past season.

These days a major part of a coach's job is holding his team together, in particular not losing important players. Dean lost four starters who turned into starters at their new schools.

With the pitching we had, those four big sticks in the lineup would have made a world of difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I agree. His tenure at Auburn was very mediocre.

• Thanks 1

Jennifer Rocha, current Oklahoma Associate Head coach and pitching coach would be an excellent choice if she is willing to leave Oklahoma, where most of her family resides. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Jennifer Rocha, current Oklahoma Associate Head coach and pitching coach would be an excellent choice if she is willing to leave Oklahoma, where most of her family resides. 

Many don’t think she wants the responsibility of being a head coach, but many also did not think Lombardi did either. Time will tell.

A lot of speculation and names being thrown around. 

5 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

Many don’t think she wants the responsibility of being a head coach, but many also did not think Lombardi did either. Time will tell.

A lot of speculation and names being thrown around. 

I have heard rumblings of that as well.  Her hesitation, from what I understand, has a  lot to do with her daughter.  I can understand that.  Oklahoma currently pays her around $240k so she isn't hurting for the money.   I just think u have to make the call at least.

• Thanks 1

hell lets give mickey a couple of years. give him a nice hat and let him go...........

The Mickey Dean era has been horrendous, and I’m glad it’s finally over.  
I love Carasone but if it’s her, that shows that AU doesn’t care about softball anymore.

5 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Heather Tarr is the name of the day. 

That seems to be an excellent hire if it happens. 

14 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Hire her & our battle cry can be "Let's beat the Tarr out of them"😁

14 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

who that?

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm with you Slot.  She's under contract through 2029.  I don't think we're going to spend that kind of money.  On a different note, I was watching bammer and UT and I started wondering if they are grooming Kayla Braun to take Murph's place.  Maybe he retires in a few years?  Just speculating.

Edited by saminbama

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

who that?

Washington head coach

• Like 1

If I could have my pick for a new softball coach it would be someone like Kenny Gajewski, the current HC at Oklahoma State.  He took the OK ST job in 2016 after 3 years as an assistant at with Florida Gators.  His team made the regionals his first 3 years as HC and since then has taken the team to the world series for the last 5 seasons.  Finished with national ranking of 6th or better in four of last five which includes the 2020 shortened COVID season.  I have not been able to get a verified figure on his salary but one recent source indicated it may be in mid-$500,000 range.  Previously, he had a base of $120K plus “additional compensation”.  The OK ST program has apparently made a strong commitment to the SB program and I found this May 2023 article interesting on a number of levels: I could not get the link to work.  do a search for:

Tramel's ScissorTales: Oklahoma State softball has something that not even Alabama can afford

Seems to be a fan tendency, when there is a opening for a new coach to identify a high profile coach and say something like “we need to pay him/her what ever it takes” but realistically, the AD has the total athletic department to consider and I am in favor of fiscal responsibility.  I don’t have any info regarding the selection considerations but maybe a very good assistant/associate HC would be a possibility?  Someone looking to be HC and get a salary upgrade.  Is there another Kenny Gajewski lurking out there?

In a similar vein, I had wondered if Melyssa Lombardi then associate HC at Oklahoma might be a replacement for Coach Myers when the vacancy opened.  She left Oklahoma in 2018 for HC position at Oregon replacing Mike White.  Her results there have not near matched her predecessor.  Her most recent 3-year conference record 2021-2023 has been 10-11, 10-14, and 14-10.  During his last 3 years with the Ducks, Coach White had conference record (2016-2018) 20-4, 17-6 and 21-3.   She spent roughly 20 years as assistant/associate HC with Patty Gasso working with pitchers/catchers.  I suspect that she had HC aspirations that could not be fulfilled at Oklahoma and wondered if she felt that Patty’s son had broken in front of the line ahead of her.  (pure speculation on my part).  I am not implying that she is bad coach and could possibly be an upgrade at AU but success is the results of multiple factors….HC, asssistant coaches, recruiting, team chemistry, am I boring you……  Best I can tell, her current salary is aprox. $385K (+ performance bonuses) with $50K buyout.

I would not fault any coach for looking away from the SEC with new alignment.  It will take a lot of talent, ego and confidence to compete with the upgrades beginning next season.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

6 hours ago, slot canyon said:

If I could have my pick for a new softball coach it would be someone like Kenny Gajewski, the current HC at Oklahoma State.  He took the OK ST job in 2016 after 3 years as an assistant at with Florida Gators.  His team made the regionals his first 3 years as HC and since then has taken the team to the world series for the last 5 seasons.  Finished with national ranking of 6th or better in four of last five which includes the 2020 shortened COVID season.  I have not been able to get a verified figure on his salary but one recent source indicated it may be in mid-$500,000 range.  Previously, he had a base of $120K plus “additional compensation”.  The OK ST program has apparently made a strong commitment to the SB program and I found this May 2023 article interesting on a number of levels: I could not get the link to work.  do a search for:

Tramel's ScissorTales: Oklahoma State softball has something that not even Alabama can afford

Seems to be a fan tendency, when there is a opening for a new coach to identify a high profile coach and say something like “we need to pay him/her what ever it takes” but realistically, the AD has the total athletic department to consider and I am in favor of fiscal responsibility.  I don’t have any info regarding the selection considerations but maybe a very good assistant/associate HC would be a possibility?  Someone looking to be HC and get a salary upgrade.  Is there another Kenny Gajewski lurking out there?

In a similar vein, I had wondered if Melyssa Lombardi then associate HC at Oklahoma might be a replacement for Coach Myers when the vacancy opened.  She left Oklahoma in 2018 for HC position at Oregon replacing Mike White.  Her results there have not near matched her predecessor.  Her most recent 3-year conference record 2021-2023 has been 10-11, 10-14, and 14-10.  During his last 3 years with the Ducks, Coach White had conference record (2016-2018) 20-4, 17-6 and 21-3.   She spent roughly 20 years as assistant/associate HC with Patty Gasso working with pitchers/catchers.  I suspect that she had HC aspirations that could not be fulfilled at Oklahoma and wondered if she felt that Patty’s son had broken in front of the line ahead of her.  (pure speculation on my part).  I am not implying that she is bad coach and could possibly be an upgrade at AU but success is the results of multiple factors….HC, asssistant coaches, recruiting, team chemistry, am I boring you……  Best I can tell, her current salary is aprox. $385K (+ performance bonuses) with $50K buyout.

I would not fault any coach for looking away from the SEC with new alignment.  It will take a lot of talent, ego and confidence to compete with the upgrades beginning next season.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I also trust Cohen.  One thing is certain.  Money is not an issue.  That is amplified even more being a women's sports program and looming Title IX concerns.

I mean, are we going to start hearing some serious candidates names pop up after the World Series, or is it going to be a while?

• Like 3

I had it in my mind that a statement had been made to the effect of "the new coach will be named after the World Series", but I can't seem to find such a statement.  That aside, it makes sense to name the new coach ASAP, so she/he can get going with recruiting and the portal.  I think it will be pretty quickly after the WCWS is finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Did everyone notice that Kenny Gajewski's team scored 0 runs on 5 hits in 2 games in OKC?  Of course, he did get there in the first place. 

• Like 1

Guess we will see if we can pull the two biggest names on our board now that Duke and Oklahoma State are out. 

Otherwise, I really hope it’s Pete D’Amour. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Did everyone notice that Kenny Gajewski's team scored 0 runs on 5 hits in 2 games in OKC?  Of course, he did get there in the first place. 

Indeed.  Sounds familiar, except for the part about being in the WCWS.

39 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

Guess we will see if we can pull the two biggest names on our board now that Duke and Oklahoma State are out. 

Otherwise, I really hope it’s Pete D’Amour. 

Honest question.  Why is he your favorite?