No. 6 Women's golf with strong opening round at NCAA Championship

wsfa.com

No. 6 Auburn Women’s golf falls to Stanford in NCAA Championship quarterfinals

WSFA 12 News Staff
~2 minutes

CARLSBAD, Cal. (WSFA) - The No. 6 Auburn Women’s golf team entered the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Championship Tuesday but was unable to overtake No. 1 Stanford, which ultimately won by a 4-1-0 score.

Stanford jumped out to an early lead, though the Tigers fought back to take the lead in three matches at one point. The Cardinal’s would come back, though, closing out three matches, including one that required an extra hole, to win and punch their ticket to the national semifinals.

“Anna Davis got down a couple early and kind of chipped away and fought back,” said Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen. “I hate that she lost the 18th hole and then had to go to the first [extra] hole to continue. I know she’s very disappointed with her result, because if we grab that match then there’s hope and anything can happen on this golf course.

“We kept fighting. A couple little things here and there, it just doesn’t take much on this course,” Luellen added. “If you steer a little right or left, it will set you up in some precarious situations and you’ve got to have a great short game around here. Hats off to Stanford, as I thought their short game was really good and that was the difference.”

Auburn was in familiar territory before Tuesday’s loss. The Tigers previously finished as quarterfinalists in 2021 and as semifinalists in 2019 and 2022.

Not reading this story on the WSFA News App? Get news alerts FASTER and FREE in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store!

Copyright 2024 WSFA. All rights reserved.

sorry i missed this earlier.

Stanford ended up winning the nationals defeating UCLA 3-2 so we lost to the eventual champs. We had an excellent chance of winning but we’re just not deep enough two of our players are very good just not consistent to win in match play

As I’ve said before the future is bright for both men and women’s golf 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Stanford ended up winning the nationals defeating UCLA 3-2 so we lost to the eventual champs. We had an excellent chance of winning but we’re just not deep enough two of our players are very good just not consistent to win in match play

As I’ve said before the future is bright for both men and women’s golf 

you should do a golf tips thread or an ask golf. i bet the golfers would love it but you may not have time. but you guys could talk shop and trade secrets and stories or courses. the list is endless. i never knew so many on here liked golf so much.