RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

Girfriend of suspect arrested for trying to cover up the crime

Girlfriend of suspect in Brian Battie shooting arrested, accused of helping him cover up crime (fox13news.com)

SARASOTA, Fla. - Investigators have arrested the girlfriend of the man charged in a Sarasota County shooting that injured Auburn football player Brian Battie and killed his brother in May.

According to an arrest affidavit, Nicole Roberts, 29, helped Darryl Brookins get away from the scene of the May 18 shooting in a rental car and later got rid of the gun detectives say was used to carry out the crime.

The sheriff's office says Brookins opened fire in the parking lot of the Tallywood Centre Plaza early that morning, hitting five people. Records show Tommie Battie IV and Brian Battie returned fire.

Tommie Battie IV died while Brian was critically injured from a gunshot wound to the head. Court records later showed Brian Battie, who played football at the University of South Florida before transferring to Auburn, could be paralyzed permanently due to his injuries.

According to the latest affidavit, Roberts drove Brookins away from the scene in a Hyundai Elantra rented under her name, with surveillance video showing Roberts throwing a gun into the Manatee River in the hours following the shooting.

Investigators later recovered a Glock 9mm handgun from the river.

Great news. I wasn’t expecting it. ( recovery, not arrest)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Because his girlfriend had a rental car and picked him up? You could be right.

Something that tells me it wasn't premeditated is there are articles stating Brookins left his own car right at the scene in the parking lot. That was the main reason he turned himself in. He was on surveillance and they literally had his car and towed it from the scene. He ran on foot from the scene according to news. I take it he then called his gf to come get him wherever he ran to. I could see premeditated but him driving to the scene in his own car and just leaving it wouldn't make sense. If you have your gf get a rental in her name to try and cover your tracks, you wouldn't drive your own car to the eventual scene of the crime and leave it. Just my thinking. I'm glad they arrested both and praying Brian recovers.

You may be correct that Brookins' car was in the parking lot, but I've only read that the girlfriend's car was there:

AL.com wrote, “according to the arrest affidavit, surveillance video at the scene of the May 18 Sarasota shooting where Tommie Battie IV was killed, and Brian Battie critically injured showed a white Hyundai Elantra in the parking lot next to where the shooting occurred. Deputies later determined it was a rental car rented by Nicole Roberts, 29, girlfriend of suspected shooter Darryl Brookins, the report states.”

The report continues, “Investigators determined Roberts drove the car out of the lot in the same direction where Brookins fled on foot. Then, the report states, Roberts drove north into Manatee County, the county between Sarasota and the Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area. The report states investigators found surveillance video that showed the Hyundai parked next to the Manatee River in Bradenton, Florida, and a female believed to be Roberts exiting the driver’s seat, walking down a dock and discarding an item.”

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:05 PM, Golden Eagle said:

You may be correct that Brookins' car was in the parking lot, but I've only read that the girlfriend's car was there:

AL.com wrote, “according to the arrest affidavit, surveillance video at the scene of the May 18 Sarasota shooting where Tommie Battie IV was killed, and Brian Battie critically injured showed a white Hyundai Elantra in the parking lot next to where the shooting occurred. Deputies later determined it was a rental car rented by Nicole Roberts, 29, girlfriend of suspected shooter Darryl Brookins, the report states.”

The report continues, “Investigators determined Roberts drove the car out of the lot in the same direction where Brookins fled on foot. Then, the report states, Roberts drove north into Manatee County, the county between Sarasota and the Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area. The report states investigators found surveillance video that showed the Hyundai parked next to the Manatee River in Bradenton, Florida, and a female believed to be Roberts exiting the driver’s seat, walking down a dock and discarding an item.”

You're right. I'm going to delete my post because it's misinformation. I went back on YouTube and watched the video of the local news and the reporter said Brookins car was left there and towed. That news report was from the day after Brookins turned himself in, so it was still fresh.

After reading the article you posted, I started looking at different news articles that are up to date and they're reporting exactly what you said. 

After reading everything, I agree with you, it looks like this was planned. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kelli Raines and Tanya Babinski God Mothers of Tommie IV and BrianOrganizer

Updates on Brian!! We are celebrating his courage and determination! Brian is showing daily progress in all areas: Physical, Occupational and Speech therapy! 

I am overjoyed to share an inspiring moment in Brian’s journey. After facing the immense challenge of rehabbing after his type of brain injury, without knowing if Brian would walk again, he has achieved something incredible, Brian took his first steps with a cane!!!! Brian told us weeks ago that he would be on his feet by my birthday and he was taking steps with a cane by Tuesday! He believed he could and he DID!

Witnessing this milestone filled our heart with indescribable happiness and pride. It's a testament to Brian’s unwavering strength, resilience, and determination. This road hasn't been easy, but with each small step forward, he has shown us the power of perseverance and courage.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone at Sarasota Memorial who has been a part of his care and recovery journey. Dr. Bajorek is AMAZING, we are grateful that Brian was placed under his care in the Intensive Rehab Facility. Dr. Fine, the brain Surgeon who did Brians brain surgery, came to visit Brian yesterday. He sat and talked to Brian and answered some great questions Brian had. Brian was in complete awe when he left and thrilled that he was able to meet the man who saved his life. Dr. Fine confirmed that he also believed that God had the final say when the outcome did not seem promising. He did as God instructed him to do and was so happy to to see the miracles of his work in all Brian’s progress.

The ICU team made a special visit this week and continue to touch our hearts each time they show care and concern beyond all they did for Brian in ICU. Words do not seem enough to express my gratitude to Sarasota Memorial for the incredible care and support they provide to our son during his time in the ER to ICU, Trauma step down and now the intensive rehabilitation facility.

The progress Brian has made under SMH’s care has been nothing short of remarkable. The expertise, patience, and genuine compassion have been instrumental in Brian’s recovery journey. Watching him achieve milestones and regain strength has been a testament to their dedication and skills as Dr’s, nurses and therapist. The therapists ability to connect with him on a personal level and tailor his therapy sessions to his specific needs has made all the difference. Their knowledge, positivity and unwavering belief in his potential have been a source of hope for our family during what has been an extremely challenging time.

We are beyond thankful for the Dr.’s, medical team, therapists, and all our loved ones who have supported us every step of the way. Your expertise, encouragement, and unwavering belief in his potential have been invaluable.

To Brian: your bravery and determination continue to inspire us all. This week marks not just a physical achievement but a reminder of the boundless possibilities that lie ahead. We celebrate this milestone with hearts full of hope and gratitude for every step forward!!!

Here's to many more victories and milestones on this journey of healing and growth. Together, we are stronger than any challenge life may bring. Ultimately, God holds the final say in Brian’s medical and physical prognosis.

• Thanks 2

PRAISE GOD!🙌🙌🙌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1