RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

Of course the 4-time felon assailant will plead not guilty when one of the victims is dead and the other is unable to speak his side of the story. 

• Like 1

I read an article about Friday's hearing.   Witnesses testified that it is expected Brian might be paralyzed for the rest of his life.   The good news there is it sounds like he will survive.   As long as the young man is alive, he has a chance of getting getter.   The shooter was 28 with four prior felony convictions.   So how much time did he spend in prison?   He also currently has a pending charge of sex assault on a minor.  

He claims self defense, despite video that the police say shows him pulling his gun first and him firing first.   Also, if the Batties both fired first, they only managed a graze wound to his ear, yet he managed to land two critical shots?   He then fled the scene and instead of calling the cops and reporting that two people just tried to kill him, he attempted to disable his phone.   Everyone, even this guy, enjoys the benefit of the presumption of innocence.   Common sense sure makes you think he is guilty.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 3:44 PM, LPTiger said:

I read an article about Friday's hearing.   Witnesses testified that it is expected Brian might be paralyzed for the rest of his life.   The good news there is it sounds like he will survive.   As long as the young man is alive, he has a chance of getting getter.   The shooter was 28 with four prior felony convictions.   So how much time did he spend in prison?   He also currently has a pending charge of sex assault on a minor.  

He claims self defense, despite video that the police say shows him pulling his gun first and him firing first.   Also, if the Batties both fired first, they only managed a graze wound to his ear, yet he managed to land two critical shots?   He then fled the scene and instead of calling the cops and reporting that two people just tried to kill him, he attempted to disable his phone.   Everyone, even this guy, enjoys the benefit of the presumption of innocence.   Common sense sure makes you think he is guilty.  

It all comes down to why Battie and his brother were approaching the guy.

were they just walking by?

Were they "coming after" the guy to kick his ass?

somewhere in between?

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
spell checker
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

where they just walking by?

Where they "coming after" the guy to kick his ass?

somewhere in between?

The guy's lawyer (who probably should not be saying anything until he has reviewed all the evidence) is claiming that the Batties fired the first shots.  

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

where they just walking by?

Where they "coming after" the guy to kick his ass?

somewhere in between?

Exactly. Don’t know the details, but they don’t seem to be innocent in all this. 

The same is true for everyone involved but if you go looking for trouble you can usually find it. I hate this for Brian and his brother. You don’t always have to prove you’re tougher than the other guy. Sometimes you just need to avoid situations, it doesn’t make you a coward.  Continued prayers for all. 

• Like 5

Right now, I don't care how late it was, if the Battie's were at a hookah bar (I went to several 20 years ago and they were more tame than most bars), if they were carrying, or if they were looking for trouble. Feels a little like victim blaming to me. While Brian is still in the hospital. 

None of us know what happened. All we know is one young man is dead and another is fighting for his life. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Feels a little like victim blaming to me. While Brian is still in the hospital. 

I personally didn’t mean to be disrespectful to Brian or his brother by my comment but if the circumstances were reversed and Brian had shot and killed the other shooter then the victim would be someone else and Brian would be arrested for murder. This really didn’t seem to have a good way to end based on what information has come out to this point. Sometimes innocent bystanders get hurt or killed but this doesn’t read like that based on what has come out. Maybe I missed something. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Florida is constitutional carry. They don’t need a permit to carry open or concealed. 

Not true.   Florida is NOT constitutional Carry.  Florida is Permitless carry.    Alabama is constitutional carry, meaning any individual legally allowed to own a firearm can conceal carry OR OPEN CARRY.     Florida is Permitless carry meaning any individual legally allowed to own a firearm can CONCEAL CARRY ONLY.   Open carry is NOT legal in Florida except under very specific circumstances.

You also don't need to pass a background check in Florida if you buy a gun from an individual.   The only time you need to pass a background check is if you buy from a firearm dealer (FFL)

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/fl-gun-laws/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Not true.   Florida is NOT constitutional Carry.  Florida is Permitless carry.    Alabama is constitutional carry, meaning any individual legally allowed to own a firearm can conceal carry OR OPEN CARRY.     Florida is Permitless carry meaning any individual legally allowed to own a firearm can CONCEAL CARRY ONLY.   Open carry is NOT legal in Florida except under very specific circumstances.

You also don't need to pass a background check in Florida if you buy a gun from an individual.   The only time you need to pass a background check is if you buy from a firearm dealer (FFL)

I stand corrected. 

I tried to find info regarding the felon shooter. I was hoping to find out what his prior felony convictions were and how old he was when he was convicted.  I didn't have any luck.

22 hours ago, WarTiger said:

True, but it is still illegal to buy or possess a firearm as a convicted felon.  In this case, the shooter was breaking (yet another) law just being in possession of a firearm.  

• Like 3

On 5/25/2024 at 8:30 PM, gr82be said:

The same is true for everyone involved but if you go looking for trouble you can usually find it. I hate this for Brian and his brother. You don’t always have to prove you’re tougher than the other guy. Sometimes you just need to avoid situations, it doesn’t make you a coward.  Continued prayers for all. 

trouble is easy to find even if you are not looking for it.

From what I understand it looks like Brian may survive but with considerable deficits. Still a time for prayer for him and his family. 

• Sad 6

According to court reports,  Battie brothers approached the assailant and were fired upon. The Battie brothers then fired back. Assailant pleads self-defense. Just horrible story in every way imaginable. 

• Sad 1

On 5/27/2024 at 6:45 AM, GoAU said:

True, but it is still illegal to buy or possess a firearm as a convicted felon.  In this case, the shooter was breaking (yet another) law just being in possession of a firearm.  

No doubt.  

On 5/26/2024 at 8:40 AM, WarTiger said:

you actually talk! manly hugs!

On 5/25/2024 at 5:08 PM, LPTiger said:

The guy's lawyer (who probably should not be saying anything until he has reviewed all the evidence) is claiming that the Batties fired the first shots.  

So both sides were carrying and then it was a shootout? 

I guarantee that every college if not HS kids have been told to make good choices, and yet this stuff keeps happening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AURaptor said:

So both sides were carrying and then it was a shootout? 

I guarantee that every college if not HS kids have been told to make good choices, and yet this stuff keeps happening. 

Agree but if other kids, after hearing this story, will make better choices going forward then at least it might make a difference for them. 

• Like 3

On 6/2/2024 at 9:50 AM, gr82be said:

Agree but if other kids, after hearing this story, will make better choices going forward then at least it might make a difference for them. 

That doesn’t seem to have happened in the past…

Young men think they are invincible, until they’re not.  

• Like 1

It just seems that there is no awareness of the consequences.

Still a sad situation.

Here's an update on his condition.  All very good signs.