RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

4 hours ago, drɘxɘl said:

Most shisha sold today is not even tobacco, it's molasses.

This thread is no place for a smart aleck comment, so I am just going to log off for the day.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUBURN1980 said:

Sadly, that might not be the same fatal shooting. This article said the shooting was a little after 10:00 PM on May 16th. 

https://www.yourobserver.com/news/2024/may/21/two-arrested-connection-shooting/

You are correct. The Battie shooter has turned himself in.

https://www.wsfa.com/2024/05/22/suspect-death-former-suncoast-football-player-turns-himself/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wsfa

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

He is cooked if anything for being a felon with a firearm. So stupid, so senseless. 

“”According to a Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office arrest report, security footage showed Brookins leaning against the window of a nearby business. The brothers walked toward him and that was when deputies said Brookins fired a gun at them. They returned fire and each fell to the ground.””

Edited by DAG
More info
  • Like 1

I also read that the suspect had four prior felony convictions. What in the world..

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I also read that the suspect had four prior felony convictions. What in the world..

Classic . Lack of accountability. People can get away with nearly anything. 

• Like 2

A family friend of the Battie's told FOX 13 on Wednesday that Brian underwent another surgery on Tuesday, and unfortunately, he has not made any major improvements. 

https://www.fox13news.com/news/brian-battie-shot-911-callers-plead-help-deadly-shooting-injured-football-player

in my football thread today i posted where brian and his brother had shot back?it is in todays thread.

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

A family friend of the Battie's told FOX 13 on Wednesday that Brian underwent another surgery on Tuesday, and unfortunately, he has not made any major improvements. 

https://www.fox13news.com/news/brian-battie-shot-911-callers-plead-help-deadly-shooting-injured-football-player

Such a tragic story.   The details coming out and the lack of improvement are all so discouraging.  

This sounds like it’s outdoors. So the hooka bar was probably the nearest location. Aside from that I would still not know what a hookah bar is. Hope Brian pulls through but it’s not sounding good. 

On 5/22/2024 at 2:20 PM, NCAubs said:

This thread is no place for a smart aleck comment, so I am just going to log off for the day.  

i do not get the insult and i am not sure they intended it?

On 5/22/2024 at 4:47 PM, cbo said:

If anyone would like to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-battie-family

i feel bad but i am spending so much money on my ailments i just cannot afford to. i paid medicare for years before i could use it and got great insurance and i am going to have to claim every single penny they paid for my health which means i might have to go bankrupt which makes me angry.i can be a handful but i pride myself on keeping my bills paid. this is just a vent and nothing more. but i do feel bad............

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i feel bad but i am spending so much money on my ailments i just cannot afford to. i paid medicare for years before i could use it and got great insurance and i am going to have to claim every single penny they paid for my health which means i might have to go bankrupt which makes me angry.i can be a handful but i pride myself on keeping my bills paid. this is just a vent and nothing more. but i do feel bad............

You should never feel bad for that. Donations are for people who happen to have extra to give at the time. No one else should worry about it. 

Sorry about the financial stress on top of the health problems. It's a damn shame that healthcare is so expensive and people get wrecked when they get sick, despite paying in for years.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

You should never feel bad for that. Donations are for people who happen to have extra to give at the time. No one else should worry about it. 

Sorry about the financial stress on top of the health problems. It's a damn shame that healthcare is so expensive and people get wrecked when they get sick, despite paying in for years.  

i will figure something out as i always do. and i do sincerely wish brain the best.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will figure something out as i always do. and i do sincerely wish brain the best.

brian...................dang it.

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

brian...................dang it.

I've been flat broke twice in my life , Fiddy. It always gets better somehow. I'm taking a family member for radiation treatments starting next week. Sometimes we donate in different ways. Your posts keep people that care informed. I would argue that's a very important service. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not get the insult and i am not sure they intended it?

There was a comment that wasn’t relevant to anything else on the thread.  I started to make fun of it but decided that this thread didn’t need conflict.  

Again, wasn’t anything to do with you.  

• Like 1

Any updated news?

Yes, we expected a "self defense" and "stand your ground" defense. And ya know, maybe that is true.

HOWEVER, the killer was a felon and thus could not legally possess a firearm of any kind.

We don't know yet whether Brian and his brother had license to carry. If they did not, this is one of those "thugs vs thugs" shootouts at 3:30AM in which the law just throws up their hands in exasperation.

I hope these stories are not the true case regarding what happened. I'd like to believe Brian and brother and others were innocent victims of a felon.

Whatever the truth, I hope the young man recovers.

8 minutes ago, AURex said:

Yes, we expected a "self defense" and "stand your ground" defense. And ya know, maybe that is true.

HOWEVER, the killer was a felon and thus could not legally possess a firearm of any kind.

We don't know yet whether Brian and his brother had license to carry. If they did not, this is one of those "thugs vs thugs" shootouts at 3:30AM in which the law just throws up their hands in exasperation.

I hope these stories are not the true case regarding what happened. I'd like to believe Brian and brother and others were innocent victims of a felon.

Whatever the truth, I hope the young man recovers.

Florida is constitutional carry. They don’t need a permit to carry open or concealed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Florida is constitutional carry. They don’t need a permit to carry open or concealed. 

Felons cannot legally have guns even in Florida.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AURex said:

Felons cannot legally have guns even in Florida.

You questioned whether Brian and his brother have a license to carry. They do not require a permit to carry a pistol in the state of Florida. 21 years old and passing a background check is all you need to possess a firearm in that state. 

If you’re questioning if they obtained their firearms illegally, then that’s another story not necessary for speculation at this time imo. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

Well, okay.

1. Felons are not legally allowed to possess or carry guns even in Florida.

2. I should have been more precise in my question regarding the victims. The legal age for carry in Florida is 21. I was not sure if Brian was 21. I now know he is 22, so he was legally carrying a gun.

We still don't know the reason they began shooting at each other. It's a terrible situation. All we can do is pray for Brian and his family.

al.com

Man accused of shooting Auburn’s Brian Battie, killing his brother claims self-defense

Published: May. 24, 2024, 8:59 a.m.

3–4 minutes

Auburn running back Brian Battie (21) outruns University of Massachusetts linebacker Jalen Stewart (23) during the first halfSaturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Auburn, Alabama. (Julie Bennett | preps@al.com) Julie Bennett | preps@al.comJulie Bennett | preps@al.com

Darryl Brookins, the Sarasota man accused of shooting Auburn running back Brian Battie and killing his older brother, Tommie Battie IV, made his first court appearance Thursday.

Brookins was arrested and charged with murder, attempted murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm on Wednesday.

“This was a mistake,” said Brookins’ attorney Jacob Grollman during Thursday’s court appearance.

“Had Mr. Brookins been given a chance to sit down with them, he could’ve simply explained he was acting in self-defense when he was approached and shot at by multiple armed individuals, including Tommie and Brian Battie.”

The shooting occurred early Saturday morning in the parking lot of a hookah lounge in the Tallywood Centre Plaza in the 3400 block of 17th Street in Sarasota.

The shooting killed Tommie Battie IV and left Brian Battie in critical condition. Three other victims, ages 36 to 46, were also sent to local hospitals.

According to Brookins’ probable cause affidavit, Sarasota County deputies received several calls reporting the shooting at approximately 3:30 a.m. Upon their arrival, deputies found Tommie Battie IV deceased after sustaining a single gunshot wound to the chest, while Brian Battie had suffered a gunshot to the head.

There hasn’t been an update on Brian Battie’s condition since Auburn head football coach Hugh Freeze took to social media on Monday and asked for prayers as Brian Battie was “still on a ventilator” after suffering a “set back” the night prior.

Video footage obtained by surrounding businesses show Brookins, 28, leaning against the window of a nearby business, when the Battie brothers approach him, at which point Brookins “immediately drew a firearm and began shooting at both,” the affidavit states.

The affidavit continues to claim that video footage shows the Battie brothers returning gunfire before both falling to the ground.

Brookins fled the scene by foot and was later the subject of several Crimestoppers calls, identifying him as the shooter who murdered Tommie Battie IV and critically injured Brian Battie.

“The parents of the victim are living a waking nightmare. They are grieving for one and praying for another,” prosecutor Dale Race said during Thursday’s court appearance.

Meanwhile, Grollman said law enforcement and the State Attorney Office “were not interested in hearing Mr. Brookins’ version of events before submitting a warrant for his arrest.”

According to the affidavit, Brookins has four previous felony convictions, all of which were adjudicated guilty.

Currently being held in the Sarasota County jail, Brookins’ pretrial hearing is set for Friday at 1:30 p.m.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.