RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Just heartbreaking. Prayers lifted. 

• Like 1

Absolutely awful, just so senseless. Him having some (presumably voluntary) movement is a good sign at least. Prayers for more good news in the coming days

• Like 1

Not seeing any changes in his condition after a quick search. Also googled hookah lounge, never heard of such a thing. 

i know i am a pot head but can someone tell me what a hookah bar is? they were used to smok epot, hash, and opium back in the day. i cannot see those being legal in florida.

18 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I have 3 kids and I imagine most of you have kids as well. I can’t imagine losing a son and then watching my other barely holding on . Praying hard for the family 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know i am a pot head but can someone tell me what a hookah bar is? they were used to smok epot, hash, and opium back in the day. i cannot see those being legal in florida.

Shisha. It’s flavored tobacco. 

• Wow 1

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Shisha. It’s flavored tobacco. 

gosh they have flavored pot so why tobacco? grins. thanx for replying........

High Freeze on X, “Auburn Family. Please continue to pray for Brian Battie. There was a set back last night and he’s still on a ventilator. #AUSTRONG”

• Love 1
  • Sad 2

al.com

Auburn’s Brian Battie will ‘fight and overcome’ after shooting that killed his brother, supporters say

Updated: May. 19, 2024, 9:49 p.m.|Published: May. 19, 2024, 8:10 p.m.

3–4 minutes

Auburn running back Brian Battie (21) outruns University of Massachusetts linebacker Jalen Stewart (23) during the first halfSaturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Auburn, Alabama. (Julie Bennett | preps@al.com) Julie Bennett | preps@al.comJulie Bennett | preps@al.com

A GoFundMe has been launched for the family of Auburn running back Brian Battie, who is reportedly one of the victims of a shooting that took place in Sarasota, Florida early Saturday morning.

Battie’s older brother, Tommie Battie IV, was killed in the shooting.

The GoFundMe’s organizers, listed as Kelli Raines and Tanya Babinski, have set a $100,000 goal. And as of Sunday night, at 8 p.m., more than $32,000 had been raised.

“On May 18, 2024, the Battie family received the most devastating news that Tommie and Brian were victims of a senseless shooting. It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that we have to share the unexpected passing of Tommie Battie IV (Pooh). Brian Battie remains in critical condition at a local hospital. We know he will continue to fight and overcome this, just as he has overcome so many other obstacles in his life. Losing a child so unexpectedly is something unimaginable and something that will never be healed. The family will never be the same without Pooh, and neither will anyone who had the pleasure of knowing him,” wrote the organizers.

“We ask that you continue to pray for Brian to make a full recovery to return home with his loving family. With all of the emotional pain and stress that tragedy brings, it also brings financial burdens. We would like to raise money for the Battie family to help with unforeseen funeral expenses and medical bills. The family is understandably shocked by this loss and not prepared for all that is happening at this time.”

You can donate to the effort here:

Multiple Tampa-area media outlets reported Battie as one of the victims in a shooting the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says happened in the 3400 block of 17th Street, Sarasota at approximately 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

Sarasota Director of Community Affairs Evan Keats confirmed to AL.com that Brian Battie’s older brother, Tommie Battie, 24, was killed in the shooting.

Sarasota deputies said deputies responded to the Tallywood Centre Plaza at approximately 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning. Tommie Battie was pronounced dead at the scene, Keats said.

Keats would not confirm any other victim’s name in the shooting, citing Florida’s Marsy’s Law statute, but did confirm four additional victims were taken to the hospital. There was no update on the other victim’s conditions.

“We are aware of the situation and are continuing to gather information,” an Auburn spokesperson responded when asked by AL.com about the shooting Saturday afternoon.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I met Brian's mom previously at a USF game a few years ago. We attempted to work together while I was growing one of my branches in FL (she's a recruiter). Totally devastated for the family. These are good young men - excellent family with great values - wrong place, wrong time. I was really hopeful Brian would get another opportunity to shine this year on the field. Now I pray that he just leaves the hospital with his family and gets to see the sun rise one more time. 

• Like 4

My contact today said that Brian is having the expected complications related to such a bad event, so things are still touch and go as of this morning. Difficult decisions ahead. Just fyi. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

My contact today said that Brian is having the expected complications related to such a bad event, so things are still touch and go as of this morning. Difficult decisions ahead. Just fyi. 

Thanks for the update, sucks that humans have such little respect for human life, happens everyday and has been since dawn of time, just stinks. Hoping that somehow he can recover.

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

It's heartbreaking his parents will have to make these difficult decisions. Prayers for all involved. 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Damn. No parent should have to make these types of decisions. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Damn. No parent should have to make these types of decisions. 

Disliking the post. Not because it’s out of line, but because it’s true . 

• Like 2

I don't want to try to predict the outcome of Brian's medical emergency, so I'll leave that alone.

A couple of guys were injured, but not killed. There has been no explanation yet as to what actually (or likely) occurred. Was it is shootout between the Batties and others vs antagonists? Was it shooters against unarmed Batties and friends? You would think, by now, that the cops would have released some sort of explanation or at least more of an idea of what they think happened.

Where are the police reports?

7 hours ago, AURex said:

I don't want to try to predict the outcome of Brian's medical emergency, so I'll leave that alone.

A couple of guys were injured, but not killed. There has been no explanation yet as to what actually (or likely) occurred. Was it is shootout between the Batties and others vs antagonists? Was it shooters against unarmed Batties and friends? You would think, by now, that the cops would have released some sort of explanation or at least more of an idea of what they think happened.

Does it really matter besides addressing your morbid curiosity?   

Can’t you just show concern for this family?  

There are dozens of shootings every day.   You care about the cause of all those or just this one because it involved an Auburn player and you want to know how it reflects on the University?

1 hour ago, NCAubs said:

Does it really matter besides addressing your morbid curiosity?   

Can’t you just show concern for this family?  

There are dozens of shootings every day.   You care about the cause of all those or just this one because it involved an Auburn player and you want to know how it reflects on the University?

There are on average 150,000 human deaths per DAY on Earth.

So yes, there is a post on Auburn forums about Battie due to his playing for Auburn, and yes people extend their empathy, curiosity, prayers, etc to him and his family due to that. It's not a negative thing to concentrate on one, because there is simply no way to extend real empathy/feelings out for 150,000 individuals along with their family every single day.

Really hoping Battie pulls through this. Spoke with wife about him at length last night, talk turned to his parents and it's just gut wrenching to think about. Praying for strength for them, gotta be the worst thing any parent can be put through.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

There are on average 150,000 human deaths per DAY on Earth.

So yes, there is a post on Auburn forums about Battie due to his playing for Auburn, and yes people extend their empathy, curiosity, prayers, etc to him and his family due to that. It's not a negative thing to concentrate on one, because there is simply no way to extend real empathy/feelings out for 150,000 individuals along with their family every single day.

Really hoping Battie pulls through this. Spoke with wife about him at length last night, talk turned to his parents and it's just gut wrenching to think about. Praying for strength for them, gotta be the worst thing any parent can be put through.

Not arguing that people shouldn’t show concern as there is a connection, albeit vicarious.  

My point was, does it really matter why?  

11 hours ago, AURex said:

I saw on another site that they arrested the shooters and they were 14 and 15 years old. It’s possible information is limited due to their ages.

38 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

I saw on another site that they arrested the shooters and they were 14 and 15 years old. It’s possible information is limited due to their ages.

Sadly, that might not be the same fatal shooting. This article said the shooting was a little after 10:00 PM on May 16th. 

https://www.yourobserver.com/news/2024/may/21/two-arrested-connection-shooting/

On 5/20/2024 at 3:50 PM, aubiefifty said:

gosh they have flavored pot so why tobacco? grins. thanx for replying........

Most shisha sold today is not even tobacco, it's molasses.

• Wow 1