Will Butch be retained after this season?

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

When you say, “all the other benefits “, you show that maybe you don’t understand the scholarship situation with baseball. Most of these guys are on partial scholarship as the NCAA only allows 11.7 scholarships per team. So many of these guys are still trying to find money to finish out their cost each semester. 
With NIL, the cost of an education can now become fully paid. 

The NCAA needs to loosen up the reigns on baseball. Allow more scholarships and allow more paid coaches. 

I understand it completely and it should be corrected asap.  That is why I didn't reference attending tuition free.  Nonetheless, they do get additional benefits that other students do not receive.  For example, cost of attendance stipends etc. They should get those benefits and I am not arguing that they should not.  I'm just being real about the situation.  Should baseball players get tuition, including room and board, and a large salary? The conversations are critical to the survival and health of college baseball. 

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Should baseball players get tuition, including room and board, and a large salary? The conversations are critical to the survival and health of college baseball. 

They should get everything except a large salary.(a reasonable stipend for sure) Individual NIL should be acquired by the player and not facilitated by the school/coach in any way. But I fear that boat has left the dock.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

They should get everything except a large salary.(a reasonable stipend for sure) Individual NIL should be acquired by the player and not facilitated by the school/coach in any way. But I fear that boat has left the dock.

I 100% agree.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 12:31 PM, AU9377 said:

I 100% agree.

AU9377,  Can't thank you enough for giving $$$$$ to baseball.  Butch has some real reservations about the current state of affairs.  He is conflicted about keeping up with the Joneses while not creating an entitled team.  It is a real conundrum.  I thank everyone who loves Auburn baseball.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

AU9377,  Can't thank you enough for giving $$$$$ to baseball.  Butch has some real reservations about the current state of affairs.  He is conflicted about keeping up with the Joneses while not creating an entitled team.  It is a real conundrum.  I thank everyone who loves Auburn baseball.

It is hard to have faith in much surrounding college sports these days, but I have complete respect for and faith in Butch and his leadership.  Men like him aren't easy to find and we are fortunate to have him guiding the program and the young men that he pours so much of himself into.

On 5/30/2024 at 9:47 PM, AU9377 said:

It is hard to have faith in much surrounding college sports these days, but I have complete respect for and faith in Butch and his leadership.  Men like him aren't easy to find and we are fortunate to have him guiding the program and the young men that he pours so much of himself into.

You have obviously spent some time around BT.   He is a great guy who loves Auburn.  If we can ever get him on a level playing field, look out SEC!!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

You have obviously spent some time around BT.   He is a great guy who loves Auburn.  If we can ever get him on a level playing field, look out SEC!!!!

The one thing that stood out to me this past season: he has to be an exceptional leader. Just from watching the games and the team/players/dugout, the players never quit, competed their rear ends off every inning, and there was no finger pointing or selfishness you sometimes see when a team is underperforming.  It’s obvious that he’s developing men to a higher calling than just baseball.  He’s the kind of man you hope your son plays for. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:09 PM, LPTiger said:

Question is how long will he or any other coach put up with the chaos now that is college sports. You have already seen coaches say that’s enough, (saban, Williams , Coach K etc). Wouldn’t surprised if Bruce has thought about it, maybe see how the next couple years play out. Freeze is just in it for the cash, it was an offer he couldn’t refuse (Auburn will pay me this much!!!) or should have. Now it’s just ride this train till it stops.

On 6/4/2024 at 5:11 AM, Gowebb11 said:

The one thing that stood out to me this past season: he has to be an exceptional leader. Just from watching the games and the team/players/dugout, the players never quit, competed their rear ends off every inning, and there was no finger pointing or selfishness you sometimes see when a team is underperforming.  It’s obvious that he’s developing men to a higher calling than just baseball.  He’s the kind of man you hope your son plays for. 

So well said!!!

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

So well said!!!

And for all those calling for his removal, there are currently 4 teams and another playing today for a chance to make the College World Series.   That would be 5 out of the Eight.   Unheard of and just puts things in perspective on the just the competition in the SEC.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

And for all those calling for his removal, there are currently 4 teams and another playing today for a chance to make the College World Series.   That would be 5 out of the Eight.   Unheard of and just puts things in perspective on the just the competition in the SEC.   

Wouldn't it be nice if one of these teams was Auburn.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If Texas makes a move with Pierce, along with the recent Kingston dismissal at USC, the dominoes could fall in a way that we might not like.  Not many coaches out there that have been to 2 CWS and not being adequately taken care of.  BT might be the only one.....

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I'm not necessarily pulling for any of them in Omaha though!

4 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I'm not necessarily pulling for any of them in Omaha though!

Ohhh, I’m not either.  There is only one I pull for…but some that I don’t mind winning it all.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

And all 5 of them have very advantageous additional scholarships that AU and UA do not enjoy.   The field is not level....    Thanks aubaseball for your comments.

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If Texas makes a move with Pierce, along with the recent Kingston dismissal at USC, the dominoes could fall in a way that we might not like.  Not many coaches out there that have been to 2 CWS and not being adequately taken care of.  BT might be the only one.....

POD, with all things being nearly equal, I don't ever see Butch passing on us for a potentially prettier girl.   Cohen tried to hire him twice while he was AD at State, and Butch politely told him to pound sand.   Butch loves Auburn.  And, his girls are there and one has had her baby there.   With that said, it is no different than telling your wife you love her and making sure she knows you mean it -- we need to make sure he knows we all love him despite our 2024 record!!!  

11 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if one of these teams was Auburn.

It sure would be.  If Gonzo were the same guy in 24 that he was in 22, we likely would be there.   We invested lots of our limited NIL $$$ in Gonzo in both 23 and 24, and they turned out to be bad bets.   Because of scholarship limits and OTV not sharing much $$$ with baseball, baseball's margin of error was very small. Unfortunately, we exceeded that MOE in 24.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Ohhh, I’m not either.  There is only one I pull for…but some that I don’t mind winning it all.  

Down goes THUGA. Hate to see it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

POD, with all things being nearly equal, I don't ever see Butch passing on us for a potentially prettier girl.   Cohen tried to hire him twice while he was AD at State, and Butch politely told him to pound sand.   Butch loves Auburn.  And, his girls are there and one has had her baby there.   With that said, it is no different than telling your wife you love her and making sure she knows you mean it -- we need to make sure he knows we all love him despite our 2024 record!!!  

Unfortunately all things are not nearly equal; as discussed ad nauseum, without lottery scholarship money Auburn baseball will always be at a disadvantage.  Without significant NIL money he's fighting with both hands tied behind his back.  Again, he's taken two teams to Omaha in the last five years and there are Auburn people asking stupid ass questions like "Will Butch Thompson be retained after this season?"  Imagine what he could do at say, LSU or aTm?

Good grief.....

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Unfortunately all things are not nearly equal; as discussed ad nauseum, without lottery scholarship money Auburn baseball will always be at a disadvantage.  Without significant NIL money he's fighting with both hands tied behind his back.  Again, he's taken two teams to Omaha in the last five years and there are Auburn people asking stupid ass questions like "Will Butch Thompson be retained after this season?"  Imagine what he could do at say, LSU or aTm....

Good grief.....

There were people asking this question after 2021. We know what happened the next year. Not saying we will be in Omaha in 2025, but we can bounce back from this and I trust Butch to do so.

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

And all 5 of them have very advantageous additional scholarships that AU and UA do not enjoy.   The field is not level....    Thanks aubaseball for your comments.

Recruiting without significant NIL money is very difficult. Just look at the guys who transferred from Bama after Bohannon got fired(especially the ones that transferred in conference) and he had complained about Alabama having zilch NIL money. 

• Like 1