2024 Portal

3 hours ago, Skip Jansen said:

Is it okay if I ask a question? This is based on a pretty general observation so I might be incorrect, but I'm very curious about something-

Why was the anticipation of Aiden so high, yet there is a seemingly reserved attitude towards Tahaad? I have been a basketball scout close to 30 years and I can say without any hesitation that there is no comparison between the two players. I was never high on Aiden. I never saw a skill set that translated to high major college basketball. By contrast....I think that TP has skills and athleticism that translate perfect to this level. I mean...if TP isn't a PG, then AH sure as hell isn't. AH does not possess one skill that makes him a better PG candidate than TP. TP has every skill required to be an elite PG (and the NBA agrees with me). 

What  am I missing? I feel like I'm in Looneyville. 

Couldn't agree more. There is a reason he is the #1 PG recruit. The only reason for the reservation from the fan base is prior disappointment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

@AUSCalum87 favorite player and topic of discussion!!! 😁😬🤭

🤣 I’m so glad you thought of me GWill with this post! In all honesty, I hope he exceeds expectations and helps us get a title and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. He seems like a good guy. He’s a part of the team now, so all I can do is hope he does great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was going to reply to Skip’s post before I continued to scroll down and saw whatever mess continued on from there

A big part why there’s reservations about TP is because of AH. Right or wrong, some people look at Aden’s disappointing play and couple it with our string of non-ideal “PG” play. I think if the Aden situation occurs 2 seasons earlier, ppl would wipe it off as just the player being overrated. It’s about timing and of course the two players being rated somewhat similarly out of HS. 

Agree 100%, it’s what I posted earlier in this thread. But yea, I think everyone is hesitant with Pettiford because of Aden on top of because we have a great backcourt that Pettiford doesn’t have to be a hero like many Auburn fans saw Aden. Again, I think Aden had too much pressure on him to perform while Pettiford is not going to in that type of situation since we have so many other options where we won’t have to ask of him to be our savior.

12 hours ago, Skip Jansen said:

Although I've been a long time reader of this site, this is my first time commenting. I used to be a regular participant on ITAT, and still follow AU basketball.....I just don't comment on social media very often anymore. That being said...I feel compelled to address the recent Tahaad Pettiford position distinction, as I believe a lot of people are taking what BP has said far too literally and may be missing a method/agenda to his rhetoric. 

First of all...does anyone really think that it's a coincidence that BP made the public comment that TP is "not a PG" just a couple of days ahead of a visit from a transfer PG (Pegues)? Or...that he is now hedging that statement by saying that TP will play some point just days before a transfer 2G (Kelly) commits? One thing I know for sure is that BP never says anything without a reason. And...there is definitely a method in his most recent ones. 

The hardest thing to do in today's climate (transfer portal/NIL) is to develop quality depth. That makes it virtually impossible to recruit over the top of a current player or bring in a high level transfer and freshman in the same year. One of them is gonna be unhappy and leave. BP learned that the hard way with the Trey Alexander situation. Believe me...BP knows how good we would have been the last couple of years with Alexander. So....does anyone really think he's gonna risk that again? He's just trying to build the best roster possible under the rules that have been set. What BP says publicly is what he wants out there and he's earned that right. Whether it's semantically filled is irrelevant. Who cares what verbiage BP uses to distinguish TP's position? This is the age of position less basketball anyway, right? It's obvious that BP wants TP and Pegues on the floor at the same time, so...he can call TP whatever he wants.. Transfers want to come in and play and they know if a school has signed the number one recruit, in the country, at their position. So...does it sound like BP is contradicting himself occasionally or sending mixed signals? Sure, he says things like....TP is "not a PG" and is gonna play "off the ball", but then says that he wants the "ball in his hands"  because he's a "great scorer and shooter". When did those skills become a detriment to playing PG?  Mark Sears, Wade Taylor, and Josh Hubbard share those same skills and they are called PGs. Again, the terminology is not what's important....it's an intended message not normal discourse after all. Getting them both to AU is what's important. 

I've been fortunate to have seen TP play several times, but there's no reason for me to state my opinion about his natural position. I'll leave that to BP and everyone will get to see for themselves in November. I will say this....he is not a 2G in the traditional sense. He is not a guy that will be coming off a pin down or curling off a staggered screen hunting three point shots. Does that mean he can't play "off the ball"? Well...how is he gonna be "off the ball" if the ball is in his hands a good portion of the time? Nevermind. 😁 Whatever he's labeled...he's incredible off the bounce. His first step is off the charts (his speed is the first thing you notice). He is great at getting to the rim in ball screen action (but he's not a PG? 😂)  or not. I'll be interested in seeing how teams defend him and how BP utilizes him. In ball screens....most teams will likely try and go under forcing him to make perimeter and mid range shots. If he makes those consistently...he's basically unstoppable because he will turn the corner and get downhill against any other coverage. He and Broome should be lethal in ball screens because when he turns the corner because the weak side post defender will have to step up, so expect a lot of lobs for dunks. Did I mention that his passing (particularly in the paint) is elite? He also has a jab step that will be a crowd favorite. I think BP will overload a side a lot as well to keep the help side defense occupied in other action. Probably see more dribble hand off stuff in order to get a switch and attack it (although he doesn't really need a mismatch because he can get by anyone). 

Something else to consider....the way the block/charge rule is being called now is a much bigger change than most realize. Officials will not allow a help side defender to just "stand at the alter" in the lane and draw a charge anymore. That's gonna be a block call every time going forward. We didn't see it much last year because we didn't have a guard that could penetrate. Pettiford is gonna have a field day with it. He is a great finisher at the rim as well. He plays much bigger than he is and will go to the FT line a lot. As a matter of fact...I expect us to be a high quantity FTA team overall. He's also really good at recognition, decision making and 

controlling tempo and pace (I know, I know...he's not a PG 😜). Those skills obviously make him dangerous in transition as well. 

So, In summation....it doesn't matter what TP's position designation is. He can be called a lead guard, combo guard, or "bucket getter" (or whatever), so....everyone can pick their favorite. What does matter is his production level. IMO...he will be one of our top 3 in minutes played, usage, and scoring. FWIW...I don't  typically use hyperbole when discussing incoming freshmen because 99% of them are already overhyped. That's not the case with TP....he's the real deal. I'll be interested to see social media comments in January/February. I'm guessing the rhetoric will consist of a lot of...."He shouldn't go unless he's guaranteed being a first rounder" and..."The latest NBA Mock Draft has him going at number 26 in the first round".  Oh wait....that's what they have him now. 

Sorry for being so long winded and thank you for allowing me to interject on this matter. I hope it didn't come off as me dissing others because that's not the case. I like Pegues, Kelly, and Jones...they are all good players, but...Pettiford is a legit difference maker. War Eagle!

I like your take and hope you are right. If you are right then we have the Alpha Cole is always talking about.

I liked Aden as a shooter but after first few games I realized he was not as quick as I expected. At his height he needed to be super quick, then he lost his stroke.

From what I have seen of Pettiford he has elite quickness and can score at all levels. That said I am glad that we have pieces around him to allow him to grow and improve as he adjusts to top level college basketball. 

Between his skill set and players around him he should have a much better impact then Aden had.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 8:22 PM, AUSCalum87 said:

They’re more common now but very few teams can run 4 guards effectively. There have been a handful of teams in the past few years that have had enough quality guards and depth at the guard/wing position to run a 4 guard offense. Auburn has never had this many quality guards. It’s why getting Kelly completely changes the way Pearl usually has his traditional lineups and allows him to mask his weakness at the PF position. We now don’t have to ask much of Chaney. He will be more of an added perk than a liability since we won’t be relying on him as much as we would have if we didn’t get someone like Kelly.

That was my thought exactly when we signed Kelley. A also agree with whoever said it that Pettiford and Howard are super talented and could potentially be part of our best 5 from the start. Just to throw in a little negativity for @GwillMac6, I don't think this is a top 10 team, but maybe top 25. 

All that to say, I could see a depth chart more like this. 

Pegues, Pettiford, Kelley, CBM, & Broome starting playing a 4 out formation (with the caveat that Howard replaces Kelley when he's ready if it can add more rebounding) and

Denver, Howard, CMo, Chaney and Cardwell as the 1st subs off the bench. 

I think they could then stagger Pegues, Pettiford and Denver to have 2 of the 3 on the floor most of the time if possible. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

That was my thought exactly when we signed Kelley. A also agree with whoever said it that Pettiford and Howard are super talented and could potentially be part of our best 5 from the start. Just to throw in a little negativity for @GwillMac6, I don't think this is a top 10 team, but maybe top 25. 

All that to say, I could see a depth chart more like this. 

Pegues, Pettiford, Kelley, CBM, & Broome starting playing a 4 out formation (with the caveat that Howard replaces Kelley when he's ready if it can add more rebounding) and

Denver, Howard, CMo, Chaney and Cardwell as the 1st subs off the bench. 

I think they could then stagger Pegues, Pettiford and Denver to have 2 of the 3 on the floor most of the time if possible. 

I like your lineup, but I think Bruce is going to go with Denver in the beginning unless he decides to go with a small ball lineup of Pegues, Denver, CBM, Kelly and Broome. As you’ve said and I’ve stated as well, this roster is so versatile and athletic that there are many lineups Pearl could use to our advantage over other teams.

Also, I absolutely believe this is a top 10 team with the addition of Kelly, for the reason that our roster is so versatile. Our PF position weakness becomes masked with Kelly and we won’t be relying on Chaney to be a go to guy like we needed JWill. These next two weeks we will see how other team’s finalize their rosters, so don’t want to make any major declaration but I like this team ALOT. We’ll get to comparing our roster to other teams after everyone’s rosters have been finalized.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 8:18 AM, Skip Jansen said:

"And I know who you are."

Well...don't tell everyone I'm full of it. 😂

"Speed" is definitely the key word with TP. It's so apparent when you see it. It's really what separates him from others. I've also seen several comps and Brandon Jennings is probably the closest because of the speed (and being left handed). 

Brandon Jennings? This Brandon Jennings? Now I'm excited. and I hope he can shoot the 3 better than BJ. Yeah, I can see it. Maybe not as fluid, but as fast.

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I like your lineup, but I think Bruce is going to go with Denver in the beginning unless he decides to go with a small ball lineup of Pegues, Denver, CBM, Kelly and Broome. As you’ve said and I’ve stated as well, this roster is so versatile and athletic that there are many lineups Pearl could use to our advantage over other teams.

Also, I absolutely believe this is a top 10 team with the addition of Kelly, for the reason that our roster is so versatile. Our PF position weakness becomes masked with Kelly and we won’t be relying on Chaney to be a go to guy like we needed JWill. These next two weeks we will see how other team’s finalize their rosters, so don’t want to make any major declaration but I like this team ALOT. We’ll get to comparing our roster to other teams after everyone’s rosters have been finalized.

Just catching up on all of Skips opinion of TP. If he can play like Brandon Jennings and be a decent (>35%) 3-pt shooter then, I think top 10 is back to being a possibility. I have been excited about TP, but haven't seen him play and was starting to get dissuaded by all the anti-small SG in a PG body rhetoric. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Just catching up on all of Skips opinion of TP. If he can play like Brandon Jennings and be a decent (>35%) 3-pt shooter then, I think top 10 is back to being a possibility. I have been excited about TP, but haven't seen him play and was starting to get dissuaded by all the anti-small SG in a PG body rhetoric. 

From my experience in playing basketball and being around basketball for over 25 years, if you can play, you can play. We don’t need Pettiford to be an NBA guard, we need him to do what he does best for our team and if you have seen his games and highlights, you can tell he plays much bigger than his frame. Will there be an adjustment? Sure, most high school players do when they come to college take time to adjust.  However, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get significant minutes later on in the year. He would be a lottery pick next year if he was 3-4 inches taller, that’s how good Pettiford is.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 1:51 PM, Skip Jansen said:

Is it okay if I ask a question? This is based on a pretty general observation so I might be incorrect, but I'm very curious about something-

Why was the anticipation of Aiden so high, yet there is a seemingly reserved attitude towards Tahaad? I have been a basketball scout close to 30 years and I can say without any hesitation that there is no comparison between the two players. I was never high on Aiden. I never saw a skill set that translated to high major college basketball. By contrast....I think that TP has skills and athleticism that translate perfect to this level. I mean...if TP isn't a PG, then AH sure as hell isn't. AH does not possess one skill that makes him a better PG candidate than TP. TP has every skill required to be an elite PG (and the NBA agrees with me). 

What  am I missing? I feel like I'm in Looneyville. 

Glad to have you on the Board. You aren't missing anything. You can turn on HS tape on Aiden and see his game wouldn't translate well to this level unless he shot lights out. If he couldn't shoot the 3 well, it would limit his game tremendously. He has zero ability to get downhill and score with his lack of quickness and athleticism, unlike Taahad. Games are polar opposites! 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Skip Jansen said:

Can anyone tell me if there is an "edit" feature in the forums?

Look in your post in the upper right hand corner there are 3 dots click on them for other options. I will hid your other posts let me know if it was a help.