2024 Portal

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can we go back to talking about Pearl’s replacement 

So I’m not the only one who’s becoming numb and deflated after this?

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At least we got blocked from taking Dior. That’s one positive note 

It’s not a definite, from what I read. They said it just doesn’t seem likely. I say we just go after some D2 or JUCO guys and call it a day. We can’t compete with any one it seems for quality guys. Gotta suck it up and hope the players Auburn has play above their potential.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

So I’m not the only one who’s becoming numb and deflated after this?

Good or bad I’m usually a pretty even keeled guy, so I may not give this trend the emotional weight some other posters do. That being said, I just don’t believe in letting your emotions be affected by the recruiting process in 2024. None of this is going to make sense if you follow it recruit by recruit, so all we can do is hope it works out in aggregate. 

I don’t know if that helps but that’s just how I operate 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

It’s not a definite, from what I read. They said it just doesn’t seem likely. I say we just go after some D2 or JUCO guys and call it a day. We can’t compete with any one it seems for quality guys. Gotta suck it up and hope the players Auburn has play above their potential.

I’ll chip in to the SEC’s NIL if they can make that a definite lol. The offseason is a success to me if we get out of it with him anywhere else and us having more than 9 playable players 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Good or bad I’m usually a pretty even keeled guy, so I may not give this trend the emotional weight some other posters do. That being said, I just don’t believe in letting your emotions be affected by the recruiting process in 2024. None of this is going to make sense if you follow it recruit by recruit, so all we can do is hope it works out in aggregate. 

I don’t know if that helps but that’s just how I operate 

Oh I don’t mean to come across as actually being depressed, my posts are tongue in cheek. I’m really just venting and surprised at how many times Pearl has struck out this year. I know how basketball recruiting is fluid by the minute, but I don’t even think I can remember a team like Auburn struggling to get quality guys. But yea, I’m not taking this all seriously, it’s just disappointing to watch. I’m ready to talk about who will start and our backups, but can’t really do that right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll chip in to the SEC’s NIL if they can make that a definite lol. The offseason is a success to me if we get out of it with him anywhere else and us having more than 9 playable players 

I agree 1000% with that. Right now our depth isn’t that good. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh I don’t mean to come across as actually being depressed, my posts are tongue in cheek. I’m really just venting and surprised at how many times Pearl has struck out this year. I know how basketball recruiting is fluid by the minute, but I don’t even think I can remember a team like Auburn struggling to get quality guys. But yea, I’m not taking this all seriously, it’s just disappointing to watch. I’m ready to talk about who will start and our backups, but can’t really do that right now.

We’ll always have mens and women’s Golf, at least 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I just read some very interesting things online about the reason we are struggling so much. Now, there’s no concrete evidence of this and I have no idea how valid this is, but apparently Bruce is the reason we are struggling. He provides an NIL package to the player and it’s basically a take or leave it. He doesn’t counter offer and if another team has a higher bid and the player comes back with wanting a counter offer, he apparently tells the player to go ahead and commit to the other team. Again, I have no idea how valid this is but what’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We’ll always have mens and women’s Golf, at least 

This is true. Unfortunately I’m not a golf person, but I’m glad that they are doing well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

So I just read some very interesting things online about the reason we are struggling so much. Now, there’s no concrete evidence of this and I have no idea how valid this is, but apparently Bruce is the reason we are struggling. He provides an NIL package to the player and it’s basically a take or leave it. He doesn’t counter offer and if another team has a higher bid and the player comes back with wanting a counter offer, he apparently tells the player to go ahead and commit to the other team. Again, I have no idea how valid this is but what’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

The posters on here said that the staff was unwilling to go up on Tre’s NIL, so if you trust them, then this makes sense. If you believe we’re broke, then it also makes sense lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The posters on here said that the staff was unwilling to go up on Tre’s NIL, so if you trust them, then this makes sense. If you believe we’re broke, then it also makes sense lol

Well this makes sense then why we are struggling. So again, I ask, why would you waste time on these guys who you know are wanting a large NIL package when you can just go to D2 or JUCO and call it a day?

• Like 1

Just now, AUSCalum87 said:

Well this makes sense then why we are struggling. So again, I ask, why would you waste time on these guys who you know are wanting a large NIL package when you can just go to D2 or JUCO and call it a day?

At this point, might as well grab someone from DII or JUCO who want to be here and has the stones to play at this level. Team should have been put together by now...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Let's see....

Be a starter at Cincinatti or play in a rotation at Auburn? 

Some of you are forgetting that we aren't in the market for starters. We're in the market for depth pieces. It's not hard to figure out why we are "striking" out on these guys. 

That’s where I disagree. Mitchell would have started here day 1. Chaney is nowhere near being an SEC starter. He’s a good backup, but no, he is not starter material.

I’ve lost faith in Bruce’s intellect over the years.  I kind of get the vibe he’s stubborn and won’t adjust.  But maybe I’m mistaken.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

At this point, might as well grab someone from DII or JUCO who want to be here and has the stones to play at this level. Team should have been put together by now...

That’s what I’ve been saying. Why is Pearl wasting his time with any quality portal player when they have to know we are going to be outbid? I’m with you, get some D2 or JUCO guy or even a guy from a low mid major, like Kennesaw State or Loyola Marymount and call it a day.

• Like 1

Just now, Lotto said:

I’ve lost faith in Bruce’s intellect over the years.  I kind of get the vibe he’s stubborn and won’t adjust.  But maybe I’m mistaken.  Thoughts?

What do you mean he’s stubborn and won’t adjust?

5 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Based on you disliking every post I’ve made about D**r, I got a feeling that your idea of adjusting may get us some SMU-esque sanctions lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

That’s where I disagree. Mitchell would have started here day 1. Chaney is nowhere near being an SEC starter. He’s a good backup, but no, he is not starter material.

I disagree 100%. Mitchell could have potentially started but Chaney is the starter now and Bruce isn't going to lie to a player. 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

I disagree 100%. Mitchell could have potentially started but Chaney is the starter now and Bruce isn't going to lie to a player. 

If Chaney is being promised the starting position and he only wants a backup for Chaney then next year will be a rough year. Anyone with any basketball IQ knows Chaney is not a starter. Again, Bruce even knows that. You really think if we got Godfrey, Achor Achor or Mitchell that they would be sitting behind Chaney? No way. Pearl is going after starters at the PF position, he just can’t land anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

If Chaney is being promised the starting position and he only wants a backup for Chaney then next year will be a rough year. Anyone with any basketball IQ knows Chaney is not a starter. Again, Bruce even knows that. You really think if we got Godfrey, Achor Achor or Mitchell that they would be sitting behind Chaney? No way. Pearl is going after starters at the PF position, he just can’t land anyone.

Do you understand today's recruiting process? If he "told" a kid he was being brought in to start, Chaney might transfer. Chaney is a part of the program and has experience AND will most likely play much better with another year under his belt. Either way, CBP is loyal to his players and doesn't believe in playing games with recruits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Do you understand today's recruiting process? If he "told" a kid he was being brought in to start, Chaney might transfer. Chaney is a part of the program and has experience AND will most likely play much better with another year under his belt. Either way, CBP is loyal to his players and doesn't believe in playing games with recruits. 

I don’t think most coaches tell portal guys they will start, that they have a “chance “ to start *wink wink*. Again, you don’t go after those type of caliber players and not start them. Chaney is a role player, nothing more, nothing less. Honestly, I think the loyalty card is what hurts Pearl sometimes, especially during games. That’s another story though. Anyways, yes, I know basketball and the guys we have been going after would have been starters here, there’s no doubt about that. You can always replace Chaney with another D2 player or someone similar. It’s difficult to find a quality PF starter though and that’s why Pearl is recruiting these top players.

Edited by AUSCalum87

This reminds me of the ending of Sonny Smith's tenure when he lost his lead recruiter. Now, it is the loss of NIL money. We want to go back to empty arenas and crickets.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

This reminds me of the ending of Sonny Smith's tenure when he lost his lead recruiter. Now, it is the loss of NIL money. We want to go back to empty arenas and crickets.  

I was too young to remember the ending of Sonny’s time here, but yea, if this year is any indication on what Auburn is going to do with NIL, then it’s going to be rough in the following years. It appears we will get one great portal player, a couple of good high school recruits and then fill out the rest of the roster with role players and guys who want to prove themselves while our rivals are constantly improving their roster with more better players.