2025 5* QB Julian "Juju" Lewis

toddc

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

For the two 5* DL that just decommitted - USC is using NIL to get these guys to commit. They are taking the money knowing that they aren’t going to sign with USC. 

I don’t think that’s the case with JuJu - we can only hope to out-recruit USC for him. 

Someone (Charlie5?) made a good point the other day. JuJu is from Carrollton, GA. If his family wants to travel to his games, USC is going to be a haul. Their games are going to be all over the place. I would imagine that would be a factor. Same with Alvin Henderson and PSU. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Someone (Charlie5?) made a good point the other day. JuJu is from Carrollton, GA. If his family wants to travel to his games, USC is going to be a haul. Their games are going to be all over the place. I would imagine that would be a factor. Same with Alvin Henderson and PSU. 

Great point and all things NIL are relatively equal, he should stay in SEC country.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 3:53 PM, AUwent said:

I just can’t see us being able to match them.

@AUwent Not sure about now but before the decommits we had the better offer per people we trust.

23 hours ago, AUwent said:

What do you mean? E just said he’s deciding before the season starts. It’s just simple logic that USC will have more NIL to spend on him without those other two.

@AUwent Not a tit for tit. They need to replace those decommits too and still need to get a lot better on D.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Has anyone heard anything about what kind of spot we are actually in for him?

Good

19 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

How realistic is it that we could sign him?

YARN | I could see that as a very real possibility. | The Office (2005) -  S07E18 Todd Packer | Video gifs by quotes | ea6955dd | 紗

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Great point and all things NIL are relatively equal, he should stay in SEC country.  

Even if the offers were exactly the same, the tax difference would make ours the bigger bring home # plus making it much easier for his family to actually make it to games. So in reality you'd think the USC offer would have to be pretty substantially larger to make up for that. I'd say a larger overall number plus some sort of side offer for travel expenses for games. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 1:30 PM, JerryAU said:

supposedly he ... or his handlers ... are asking for $2.5 mil per year NIL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, nthemix said:

supposedly he ... or his handlers ... are asking for $2.5 mil per year NIL

And everyone has said no

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And everyone has said no

Seems like that kind of money could be make a dent in marketing Auburn toward recruiting future 5*s.  Interest alone is more than some athlete's NIL's.   

but I have no idea how much these  5*  large  NIL's are really going for.

Ya'know, lots of QBs look good on highschool film. Lots of highly rated QBs seem like sure bets for universities, so they throw a lot of NIL money at them. But fact is, when you look at actual payoff, a lot of these guys just drop off the radar or under-perform in the particular system run by the school they end up at.

I'm not disparaging JuJu, and in fact I've posted before in this thread how fun it would be to have him at Auburn. And it is not my NIL dollars in play. But I will not be crying elephant tears if some other deep pocket U buys him. There need to be limits.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, yngwie1995 said:

Wasn't that true when he originally committed to USC?

3 hours ago, Randy4AU said:

Wasn't that true when he originally committed to USC?

It was...BUT some kids commit spur of the moment without much if any discussion with family.  After time and discussion things change.  Not saying this is what happened with JuJu or Alvin but I'm optimistic we get them both signed when the time comes.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, bigbird said:

And everyone has said no

supposedly that is why bama got out of pursuing him ... could be just rumors though

Got to do what you got to do. Hopefully we are serious about him, which sounds like we are. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, nthemix said:

supposedly that is why bama got out of pursuing him ... could be just rumors though

I've heard some coaches don't care to deal with the dad & his demands right now. :dunno:

57 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I've heard some coaches don't care to deal with the dad & his demands right now. :dunno:

There's some to that 

On 6/21/2024 at 10:27 PM, bigbird said:

And everyone has said no

I’ll be glad when the dust settles on some real NIL rules and such. JMO

• Like 6

11 hours ago, au701948 said:

NIL Rule #1: There are no rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, au701948 said:

Can’t put the genie back in the bottle now

Well according to Sports Illustrated, which he was on the cover of, he and his family have already turned down 7 figures of NIL money by not moving states:

Though he seemed to blend in with the players representing 10 local teams who were paraded onto the stage, he is, decidedly, not their peer. In 15 games last year he produced the most staggering freshman season in Georgia’s robust high school football history, amassing 4,118 yards passing and 48 touchdowns as he led Carrollton to the championship game in the state’s highest classification, 7A, which serves as a feeder system for the mighty SEC. He was crowned MaxPreps National Freshman of the Year and was the first sophomore in the Touchdown Club of Atlanta’s near-century-long history to be named to its preseason all-star team. But it’s a prize just out of the 6' 1", 190-pound QB’s grasp that truly separated him from the others onstage that summer evening: the endorsement deals he’s been offered—and turned down. According to Donald Woodard, an attorney advising the Lewis family, Julian has passed on more than seven figures’ worth of deals.

Now that the NCAA has lifted its prohibitions on athletes’ earning money from their name, image and likeness, the debate has found its way to high schools. Georgia remains one of the 19 states that don’t permit high schoolers to profit off their NIL. So, while other top high school stars can start stockpiling nest eggs, Julian—known best as “Ju Ju” by the masses—must bide his time.

His family could, of course, chase riches by moving to a more permissive state. But Julian’s father, T.C., enrolled his son in Carrollton’s school system two years ago specifically for the coaching and for Julian to be forged in one of the toughest high school football classifications in the nation. T.C. has essentially made a million-dollar wager that his son’s long-term prospects will be best served by focusing on his development as a player: As T.C. likes to say, “keeping the main thing the main thing.”

more at the link

https://www.si.com/college/2023/09/13/julian-lewis-nil-money-daily-cover

• Like 2

It's all fun and games until schools in top conferences start blackballing families that are asking too much. How that would be viewed in court, I don't know, but nothing says schools are required to recruit your kid or set up NIL deals for you. 

I hope we're not seeing a case of a parent commandeering their child's future to benefit themselves because I believe JuJu has the makings of a superstar. 

58 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

It's all fun and games until schools in top conferences start blackballing families that are asking too much. How that would be viewed in court, I don't know, but nothing says schools are required to recruit your kid or set up NIL deals for you. 

I hope we're not seeing a case of a parent commandeering their child's future to benefit themselves because I believe JuJu has the makings of a superstar. 

No school is going to blackball a kid lol. Why wouldn’t you ask for too much?  Better than asking for too little. If no one comes up to your price, you settle for what you can get. Basic negotiations. Literally no coach is going to blackball a kid for asking for too much money. Especially coaches who do the same thing with their own contracts. 

• Like 6