Nightly News

I was watching the nightly news and a segment was discussing the border crisis. At the end there was a video of Biden stating “I can’t do anything unless congress gives me the money”. So does anyone know what his plan is and how much money he needs?

2 hours ago, creed said:

I was watching the nightly news and a segment was discussing the border crisis. At the end there was a video of Biden stating “I can’t do anything unless congress gives me the money”. So does anyone know what his plan is and how much money he needs?

I didn't like that answer from Biden either.  Money not being appropriated doesn't stop the government from enforcing laws.  Nobody seems to have a plan.  Republicans don't want to solve an issue that they can use in the general election and Biden seems to be tap dancing around the problem.

20 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Republicans don't want to solve an issue that they can use in the general election and Biden seems to be tap dancing around the problem.

^^^ This ^^^

If congressional Republicans want a *different* set of laws and regulations regarding immigration (legal and illegal), it is *their* responsibility to enact those laws and regulations. Instead, they are just posturing, screaming loudly to their MAGA base, and launching an impeachment proceeding on the person who is simply implementing current law/regulation.

The Republicans don't have a solution. They just have a megaphone of negativism. Just like with Obamacare. No alternative for a decade, just blustering hate.

16 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I didn't like that answer from Biden either.  Money not being appropriated doesn't stop the government from enforcing laws.  Nobody seems to have a plan.  Republicans don't want to solve an issue that they can use in the general election and Biden seems to be tap dancing around the problem.

Biden could have elevated the border as a major issue in his speeches and applied tactical executive orders to underscore his commitment that he takes it damn seriously. Instead he ignored it, and gave maga the raw meat it needs. Huge huge mistake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Biden could have elevated the border as a major issue in his speeches and applied tactical executive orders to underscore his commitment that he takes it damn seriously. Instead he ignored it, and gave maga the raw meat it needs. Huge huge mistake.

I agree.  One of the things that made Clinton so effective was that he didn't hesitate to push back hard against the left wing of the Democratic party.  Biden has been far less willing to do that.

Edited by AU9377

There's nothing complicated about this. It doesn't need new money or new legislation. As long as the President has a policy of allowing anyone who crosses the border to remain in the United States with any asylum claim, we have defacto open borders.  Hearing dates are now a decade out into the future.  This Presidential policy is a magnet drawing ever increasing numbers of new illegal immigrants.  Trump will reinstate his remain in Mexico policy while waiting for your asylum claim, which effectively stopped the flow.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:51 PM, Cardin Drake said:

There's nothing complicated about this. It doesn't need new money or new legislation. As long as the President has a policy of allowing anyone who crosses the border to remain in the United States with any asylum claim, we have defacto open borders.  Hearing dates are now a decade out into the future.  This Presidential policy is a magnet drawing ever increasing numbers of new illegal immigrants.  Trump will reinstate his remain in Mexico policy while waiting for your asylum claim, which effectively stopped the flow.

What does the current law say?

Edited by homersapien