MBB: AU vs App State

RunInRed

I really miss BB and JH.   Can you ever in your wildest dreams imagine them shooting 9% from deep?  We really have not had quality guard play since them.   We had one concuss and leave.   We had a turbo that was more like naturally aspirated.   We had some shorties.   We had an UA great's offspring.  We had a lock down defender who couldn't shoot very well. Now we have a high rated transfer and a 5 star not playing to their talents.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand that. I'm just saying that, to me at least, we generally play worse than our SEC peers on the road. We also generally play better at home than them, so that's where the idea of volatility comes in at

I will say and maybe I’m being prisoner of the moment at what we witnessed today and I’m shook buuut I feel like we are going to get shellacked in a lot of sec road games this season. We got to go to the O dome in Gainesville somewhere we haven’t won since the mid 90’s… and every one of those losses is usually a blowout. At ole miss worries me this year with them having beard. Very few layup road W’s like last year when you knew you at least had @lsu and @south Carolina in our back pocket. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Last 3 (away) games I've been to we've lost, so maybe I'll stop going. (Pearls return to Knoxville, NC State in Raleigh, and today in Boone). Being in NC there aren't many Auburn events to attend.

Thoughts from the arena, since I can't get to the jungle:

Crowd was rocking from the start. Wasn't a sell out but those that were there were loud. This was their big game and it was obvious- every little thing got a huge reaction from the home fans.

I knew we shot poorly but was shocked to see the final box score. Our shot selection was really terrible, for the most part, but I'm still shocked to see 3pt shooting at 11% vs their 45+%. It definitely felt that way- they hit almost every other shot they took from deep.

Aden did really good things when he drove the lane (a few times that I noticed) but he's trying to put up hero shots most possessions. 

Broome is so good and smooth in the low post. Doesn't have a good medium or deep shot but he knows how to use the glass and his post positioning is excellent.

Chalk this up to one of those fluke games when the home team does everything right and we can't do anything. Was closer than it should have been which is a testament to the depth we run out there.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Auburn: 3/27 (11.1%) from 3, 9/19 on FTs

App St: 8/17 (47.1%) from 3, 17/23 on FTs

We shot 47% on FTs today.

Don't worry we gonna keep flogging those 3s up there. Might as well, Bruce don't reprimand cats for taking bad 3s. Watched it all last yr. The more things change, the more  they stay the same

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't worry we gonna keep flogging those 3s up there. Might as well, Bruce don't reprimand cats for taking bad 3s. Watched it all last yr. The more things change, the more  they stay the same

Unfortunately a lot of times they weren’t bad 3’s. Just bad shooting/shooters which is worse and less fixable.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Unfortunately a lot of times they weren’t bad 3’s. Just had shooting/shooters which is worse and less fixable.

Bruce may need to change his offensive system.  I mean we ripped Gus for not adapting his offense. This is yr 3 or 4 where we couldn't throw it in the ocean

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The NMSU loss, the Bama loss, Bama making the playoffs in a way that makes me realize college football has ceased to be a real, fair, and competitive sport, and this basketball loss have been enough to put me into a little Auburn depression. I've hit my limit of Auburn bad news for the year. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bruce may need to change his offensive system.  I mean we ripped Gus for not adapting his offense. This is yr 3 or 4 where we couldn't throw it in the ocean

I mean he doesn’t have a system. It just is tweaked to whatever the personel is. People remember Chris lofton at Tennessee and then our 18 and 19 teams and  think that’s his system. It isn’t. He doesn’t have an exclusive system like Oates. We clearly the last 2 years have been an inside outside teams and run through Broome. It’s just not as fun as exciting as our 18 and 19 teams.

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Based on the last 4 years. Bruce has become the  basketball version of Arthur Gustav Malzahn III. Prove me wrong

If that were the case then he wouldn’t feed Broome as much as he does. 

With Johni being our best player and only reliable scorer, I'm afraid upcoming teams might implement a Hack-a-Broome defensive scheme at times, especially late in close games.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If that were the case then he wouldn’t feed Broome as much as he does. 

That's all we got. Kinda like feeding Kerryon till he broke down. It's not an exciting brand of ball to watch. Wonder how long till recruits notice this. I said it last yr. Our offense is the Iowa football version  in basketball. 9-19 on free throws.  LOL. they call them free for  reason

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That's all we got. Kinda like feeding Kerryon till he broke down. It's not an exciting brand of ball to watch. Wonder how long till recruits notice this. I said it last yr. Our offense is the Iowa football version  in basketball. 9-19 on free throws.  LOL. they call them free for  reason

You are missing the point. If he stayed with only his 18 and 19 offenses he wouldn’t have had his last 2 teams play inside out and pound the rock inside. 

Upset week in college basketball continues… 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

No clean air space on 3’s. Everything is contested. Teams don’t fear his dribble drive game so they can overplay on the perimeter. 

I, probably unfairly, expected him to have a shariffe cooper like handle.  He doesn’t.  He’s a very good ball handler who passes pretty good and who’s supposed to score jump shots.  If he’s not making shots, he needs to distribute better.  I was hopeful that when he and tre were on the floor together it would click but it didn’t today.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I, probably unfairly, expected him to have a shariffe cooper like handle.  He doesn’t.  He’s a very good ball handler who passes pretty good and who’s supposed to score jump shots.  If he’s not making shots, he needs to distribute better.  I was hopeful that when he and tre were on the floor together it would click but it didn’t today.

When Bruce put Holloway and Donaldson on the floor together late in the 2nd half, AU closed in from down 9 to down only 2 or 3. App State didn’t score for about 3 minutes, but we couldn’t hit a tying 3 to save our lives, although they certainly tried. So it kinda did click to an extent, but just not enough to completely climb out the hole.

Edited by tigeraddikt

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will say and maybe I’m being prisoner of the moment at what we witnessed today and I’m shook buuut I feel like we are going to get shellacked in a lot of sec road games this season. We got to go to the O dome in Gainesville somewhere we haven’t won since the mid 90’s… and every one of those losses is usually a blowout. At ole miss worries me this year with them having beard. Very few layup road W’s like last year when you knew you at least had @lsu and @south Carolina in our back pocket. 

I truly love what BP has done for AU, but I also believe we are stuck in a warp, where he had that one GREAT season and ever since we have been middle of the road. True, this wasn’t a Conference game, but this team really hasn’t beaten a good team this year. I do feel confident we may get into the tourney, but I just don’t see an above average team here. 

7 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I truly love what BP has done for AU, but I also believe we are stuck in a warp, where he had that one GREAT season and ever since we have been middle of the road. True, this wasn’t a Conference game, but this team really hasn’t beaten a good team this year. I do feel confident we may get into the tourney, but I just don’t see an above average team here. 

One great season? You know that’s not true. We have had a sec title of some sorts in 3 different seasons. We are stuck being a good not great team because we haven’t had good guard play in a few seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We couldn’t contain their guards in man-to-man. God help us in SEC play. 

Also, all we heard in pre-season, from Bruce, was how great this team was at shooting the treys.  He didn’t tell us they couldn’t make them, however. 3 for 27 is not going to win vs the SEC, much less Appy St.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Based on the last 4 years. Bruce has become the  basketball version of Arthur Gustav Malzahn III. Prove me wrong

We’re still basking in that one Final Four appearance. Please stop blocking our entitled sunlight.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Upset week in college basketball continues… 

Couple that with UKats loss to NC-Wilmington, and it’s like we can’t stand for anyone else to suffer alone..

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

One great season? You know that’s not true. We have had a sec title of some sorts in 3 different seasons. We are stuck being a good not great team because we haven’t had good guard play in a few seasons.

You’re correct. I stated my case without thinking it through enough. Holloway is not looking like a 5 star so far though and that’s hurting us. We haven’t had a true sniper at shooting the 3 since Bryce Brown and that does hurt the type of O BP likes to run, not to mention Jared Harper, the last very good guard we had run the floor. Stars are nothing in any sport in my opinion. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I feel ya. Oats has come into Turdsboro and done more in quicker fashion. His John Petty/Herb Jones team was akin to our Final 4 team, but he’s done more since, albeit last year with an player who should have been kicked off the team before snatch rolled around.

• Like 1