Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

23 minutes ago, cbo said:

**On a football message board, explains why he thinks AU needs a transfer QB, citing stats, comparisons to last season, and the status of the WR group.**

Response: Oh yeah? Well what are you gonna do about it? No one cares and you take yourself too seriously. 

Your wording is the issue.  It’s as if you are speaking for the fan base and not just yourself.  I get your opinion and, just like last year, Freeze is going to take HIS time in deciding what is best for each position.  You will have nothing to say about it and neither will anybody else on this board.

After the portal is closed you will have to wait and see if he was right or not, while his job is on the line with every decision he makes.  He gets the benefit of the doubt at this point in time.

• Like 1

There's not a single person on here arguing that we should stand pat at QB if we have a shot at one that Freeze thinks is better.  Once again, Freeze has proven that he himself thinks that by taking a run a Riley Leonard.  Folks seem to mistake a lack of panic among the coaching staff as contentment with the status quo.  I'm sure Freeze is evaluating his options continuously but clearly Freeze has Thorne higher on his board than many of you all do.   Who do you guys think is better than Thorne for next year that is in the portal and available? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Pop Quiz. Where did the throw end up? where should it have gone?  (NMSU)

NMSU.jpg

Gonna guess Thorne either took a sack or quickly pulled it down and ran for -1 yards.

Edit: to answer the question it looks like Fairweather is about to be open as the LB takes burton.  Brown is wide open, so Is maybe the Hunter at the top of the screen..  Deep player at top seems to be covered.  So 3 of 5 WRs are open

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Folks Oh St run  QB off that just won 11 games.  They ain't screwing around. 

Yeah, they told him he didn't have a secure job and wasn't championship caliber.   He was basically 2x all of Thorne's stats

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Why are we assuming the coaches aren’t pursuing another QB? They’re not going to be real public with everything. 

We're connected to none of the QBs after Leonard took our offer and got $$ from ND

To the guy thats on the 35 yd line. Thorne should have looked the safety off and whoever that is in breaking on the 35 would be wide open

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Your wording is the issue.  It’s as if you are speaking for the fan base and not just yourself.  I get your opinion and, just like last year, Freeze is going to take HIS time in deciding what is best for each position.  You will have nothing to say about it and neither will anybody else on this board.

After the portal is closed you will have to wait and see if he was right or not, while his job is on the line with every decision he makes.  He gets the benefit of the doubt at this point in time.

It's a message board for football discussion. I think we all know we don't run the program. 

Sorry for the wording. Don't take me so seriously. 

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I think some here may get somewhat tired of reading the same stuff over and over.  Thorne is trash, he can't get above X completion % even with the superior talent he had at Mich State, he holds the ball too long, he doesn't throw the ball away enough.   All of that has been said and repeated 30 times, so yeah I think it was time for a "trust the coaches post."  This horse has been beaten past death.   We, all of us as fans, are somewhat responsible for running off the guy who just might win the Heisman.  At some point we need to take a look in the mirror and realize we just might be part of the problem.   BTW, I was very hard on Bo here.   I wish I could take it back, but I can't.   Imagine on the last portal day PT enters, and we roll with Hank and Robby....   Payton Thorne plays his guts out -- for us.  I, for one, think we owe him a little more respect than what we are giving him. 

The same thing could be said about you maybe some are tired of reading your everything is fine post

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

It's a message board for football discussion. I think we all know we don't run the program. 

Sorry for the wording. Don't take me so seriously. 

Good. 

You guys let the wrong group of people get tough and take this board over.  Geez Louise some tough sensitive thugs.  Getting bullied by the powder puff girls instead of the avengers

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You guys let the wrong group of people get tough and take this board over.  Geez Louise some tough sensitive thugs.  Getting bullied by the powder puff girls instead of the avengers

Sir, you seem to be lacking grit

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My thing is it is literally nothing else going on so of course we are going to talk another this stuff. It’s so bizarre to me what is allowed on these forums. What people are okay with saying and aren’t okay with. You would think we all said Thorne sucks. If Hugh Freeze wants to ride with him, no sweat on my back , but the idea  that people here are going to try to tell me I can’t assess the situation on a thread dedicated to PT, no less? 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

My thing is it is literally nothing else going on so of course we are going to talk another this stuff. It’s so bizarre to me what is allowed on these forums. What people are okay with saying and aren’t okay with. You would think we all said Thorne sucks. If Hugh Freeze wants to ride with him, no sweat on my back , but the idea  that people here are going to try to tell me I can’t assess the situation on a thread dedicated to PT, no less? 

For YEARS we always talk qbs and to be honest nobody is really being harsh on PT.  Everybody on here politely said they would just like better play,  the only reason negatives were pointed out was to respond to rebuttals that he played great.....

I mean really think on how hard we've all been on other qbs, this is as nice as it's ever been after a season like this and people are still complaining.  Like we're supposed to not see what's right in front of our face. 

I'm proud that he came here and gave it what he had, I'll even say there's a bunch of guys who would have folded after some of his bad games and he didn't.  I'm just always going to want a NFL prospect at qb. That's just how I see it.  I want us to be big time and I know good qbs are number one and o and d line will keep us at a high respect level.  That's it.

I think I've been the most pro player guy on here as far as consistent last let's say 6 or 7 years.  I'm not disrespecting the dude. I'm sorry but I have to be consistent on how I grade out guys. Can't play favorites

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

Grayson McCall. 

We are above him with our 135ypg

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oh yeah it's not qb but think of how on here some players like Seth Williams or smoke Monday were criticized on here and they were good good but for whatever reason they weren't embraced as favorites,   but you can't say anything about PT ? How on earth does that make any sense at all

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh yeah it's not qb but think of how on here some players like Seth Williams or smoke Monday were criticized on here and they were good good but for whatever reason they weren't embraced as favorites,   but you can't say anything about PT ? How on earth does that make any sense at all

Speaking of players. I came across something last night that reference more issues about Harsin than what’s being released. I believe u made mention of it last year but didn’t go into detail. The article pretty much says Auburn took the high road regarding how players were treated but should tell the entire story  since Harsin keeps taking shots at Auburn.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Grayson McCall. 

That one is a head-scratcher to me.  I'm curious why we aren't pursuing him. I assume some bridges were burned somehow last year.  He still seems like a good fit.  Wish we had some good insider info on that one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

That one is a head-scratcher to me.  I'm curious why we aren't pursuing him. I assume some bridges were burned somehow last year.  He still seems like a good fit.  Wish we had some good insider info on that one.

Someone mentioned that he may have a concussion history we're concerned about?  Not sure to be honest.  I haven't followed him that closely.

22 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Thats my only thing . We were pursuing him hardcore and all of a sudden we are comfortable with what we have now ? Iono. Also is RA graduating ? Wonder if he plans to stay on 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thats my only thing . We were pursuing him hardcore and all of a sudden we are comfortable with what we have now ? Iono. Also is RA graduating ? Wonder if he plans to stay on 

Believe most think Robby can graduate in the spring.  Guess he'll be like TJ Finley and graduate/transfer in the second window. 

With Covid Season, I believe he could have two years left so maybe he stays and thinks he can improve 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, e808 said:

Speaking of players. I came across something last night that reference more issues about Harsin than what’s being released. I believe u made mention of it last year but didn’t go into detail. The article pretty much says Auburn took the high road regarding how players were treated but should tell the entire story  since Harsin keeps taking shots at Auburn.

I would like to read it. And yes when I first started telling people on here the damage harsin was doing it was the players were soft or that it wasn't true

One of the things that really let me see where we were on here is it was a group arguing with me about former players didn't know any more about football than the average fan, wouldn't know about what is going on with the team than the average fan,  and didn't have influence with recruits .... and not only argued with me about it but laughed at me! In their mind it was absurd to even think those things.  And of course every single player may not but in general of course they would.  But after that.... you can't take every poster serious on here. 

Of course there are some great posters that are very knowledgeable, and many get upset when you say this on here, but some people that never played just miss some details when you talk football on here, especially the intangible stuff like respect, and how coaches could do certain stuff that could potentially lose a team. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

For YEARS we always talk qbs and to be honest nobody is really being harsh on PT.  Everybody on here politely said they would just like better play, 

And I quote:

"He's horrible. No way anybody can make him be anything more than that. Like let's be real"

I'm glad you were taking it easy on him, wow, I'd hate to see harsh.

3 minutes ago, gman87 said:

And I quote:

"He's horrible. No way anybody can make him be anything more than that. Like let's be real"

I'm glad you were taking it easy on him, wow, I'd hate to see harsh.

Like I said rebuttal to I guess someone like you saying he played great... but if you want to see harsh just go the game thread where the other dude qb the Iron bowl,  and he actually had good stats, calling him a coward and all that type of stuff but most of you were missing then on the he's trying hard as he can, and the don't be so mean posts. 

But yeah saying a guy played horrible after throwing for 30% that's really crossing the line!

Edited by cole256

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I believe that McCall has suffered through 2 pretty significant concussions in the last 1-1/2 years. 

I am not looking up details but just recalling from memory a goal line flip directly head first at the end of 2022 season and another sometime in the 2023 season.

Just an old man’s memory. Not checking reports or past articles, just memories I have from the original times he was under consideration by AU.

Edited by au701948
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1