Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh and I know we are broke now and as a school we can't afford getting talent but if a school like Syracuse can get someone I just feel like we could spend a little for a decent back up

We aren't broke. Someone on here posted that AU has $21 million in the NIL pool. Apparently Coach Freeze thinks we have adequate backups and it's his job that's on the line.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We aren't broke. Someone on here posted that AU has $21 million in the NIL pool. Apparently Coach Freeze thinks we have adequate backups and it's his job that's on the line.

You say that to say what? Every decision on here that was ever made came from somebody thinking it was right. And it's always somebody's job on the line. So I don't really care what is thought, the back up is the back up because he's not better than the starter..... Even you can't argue that. So if that's the case then simple logic means they aren't good enough

Just now, cole256 said:

You say that to say what?

I say that to state that Coach Freeze does not agree with you that we need another QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't know everything but I do know this, we should bring somebody in that it could be a thought that they could potentially start to push PT. PT right now isn't playing at a high enough level, now maybe he can get better I won't say that he can't but I know the last thing he needs is just to be comfortable. 

I don't care who it is but it needs to be an outside thought. Also too they have to think if they are going to be running him the way they started we will need a good back up, I'm sure this running thing is new, he may not be proficient at sliding and choosing battles, and while I know how the forum loves them some grit, it would be stupid for him to try that often.

Believe we'll have a manufactured QB race.  Predict there will be lots of posts about Hank Brown possibly pushing Thorne, White is super talented but swimming vs college speed, Holden throws the best ball and has a bright future.

Thorne will be the starter without challenge.

I like the idea of a 2nd string QB to push PT....but if it came down to $250k for that or put that money towards a contributing player...how do we allocate?

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I say that to state that Coach Freeze does not agree with you that we need another QB.

Ok thx. Tell him I said what's good, and good luck next season

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Believe we'll have a manufactured QB race.  Predict there will be lots of posts about Hank Brown possibly pushing Thorne, White is super talented but swimming vs college speed, Holden throws the best ball and has a bright future.

Thorne will be the starter without challenge.

I like the idea of a 2nd string QB to push PT....but if it came down to $250k for that or put that money towards a contributing player...how do we allocate?

Depends on how much you care about winning. What's the value? If one win end up costing a bowl invite, or bowl win, or championship? I think people would think wish we had. If it's not playing for anything, probably don't care at all. 

I've been saying I thought Brown had more potential than any of them. Saw him play in person before and he was very impressive to my eye. Don't know if the competition gets rougher he will rise or not. 

But I do know this I don't want to hear anything from anybody on here if we are awesome and God forbid have to play another QB because of injury and people want to make excuses. 

But we'll see, right now I expect us to being a little better because PT will know where to go with the ball. I don't expect him to be more accurate or throw a better ball though. It will be interesting.

I'm not a big White guy, just what I see on film I'm just not as hyped as others seem to be. Hopefully I'm off about that as well. I like his swag though and God knows we need that on the team especially at QB 

Edited by cole256

Someone reported that Freeze was handing the job to PT as "unchallenged" starter. I guess I missed the unchallenged part. Someone has it backwards. To get a high profile Portal QB you almost have to guarantee him the job. CHF is not willing to do that. As for looking for a two year Portal QB a year from now, I'm not so sure. A one year guy might be the best option. Who knows right now? If HG, HB, and/or WW have not come along as hoped and expected, a  one year delay might be what the doctor orders. Again who knows. A lot can happen and change in a year.  People who think our 5* WR recruits can't make that big of a difference lets wait and see. Look around. We've never had them. I support the Coach. He's willing to roll the dice and he certainly knows a lot more than any of us. WDE!!

• Like 2

So in the future when we hire a guy that you all don't like or support, for whatever reason that must be we can count on you all to still say the coach is the coach there's nothing to talk about? I know I'm certainly going to file this in my memory box

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Depends on how much you care about winning. What's the value? If one win end up costing a bowl invite, or bowl win, or championship? I think people would think wish we had. If it's not playing for anything, probably don't care at all. 

I think there is some line between winning now vs winning in the future.  I don't think a top QB like Ward or Leonard would make us a championship team, maybe we can push from 7 wins to 9?  But then they're gone in '25.

Back Up QB is probably negligible unless we have an injury,  Contributor might make us more secure at 7 wins and maybe push to 8?  IDK.

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I've been saying I thought Brown had more potential than any of them. Saw him play in person before and he was very impressive to my eye. Don't know if the competition gets rougher he will rise or not. 

But I do know this I don't want to hear anything from anybody on here if we are awesome and God forbid have to play another QB because of injury and people want to make excuses. 

But we'll see, right now I expect us to being a little better because PT will know where to go with the ball. I don't expect him to be more accurate or throw a better ball though. It will be interesting.

I'm pretty pessimistic on most low ranked 3* kids who don't have any other decent offers.  We'll see if we hit lotto ticket with him.  I honestly don't think he or HG will ever play a meaningful game.  I think we'll go PT->Portal->White

I'd love to get a 2 year guy that can have a year in the system.  It's pretty obvious 1st year QBs somewhat struggle and look much better in year 2 in the system.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think there is some line between winning now vs winning in the future.  I don't think a top QB like Ward or Leonard would make us a championship team, maybe we can push from 7 wins to 9?  But then they're gone in '25.

Back Up QB is probably negligible unless we have an injury,  Contributor might make us more secure at 7 wins and maybe push to 8?  IDK.

I'm pretty pessimistic on most low ranked 3* kids who don't have any other decent offers.  We'll see if we hit lotto ticket with him.  I honestly don't think he or HG will ever play a meaningful game.  I think we'll go PT->Portal->White

I'd love to get a 2 year guy that can have a year in the system.  It's pretty obvious 1st year QBs somewhat struggle and look much better in year 2 in the system.

It's not all about winning a title or not, it's about being consistent and showing something. You have a guy who comes in, actually be good then people will follow that. You not getting a bunch of good prospects throwing 30% and under 100 yards in the iron bowl. Recruiting is mostly just having a recruiter close their eyes and say that can be me some day. That's really most of the battle. 

We aren't jumping from where we are to champions in one or even two years. We need talent upgrades at every single position before that. You have a good QB that can will you to a few more wins that you would have lost though

• Like 2

Maybe it was the level of competition, Maybe it was Hugh taking over the offense,  but Payton looked more than adequate from Miss State on.  The Iron Bowl was his worst game in that stretch and even that game he acted as a good game manager and made plays with his feet.  

There is a whole other portal window that opens after spring practice.  Maybe if there’s an opportunity there you’ll see Auburn grab a Qb.  It would probably be someone to push Payton and more than likely vie for a backup role.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

It's not all about winning a title or not, it's about being consistent and showing something. You have a guy who comes in, actually be good then people will follow that. You not getting a bunch of good prospects throwing 30% and under 100 yards in the iron bowl. Recruiting is mostly just having a recruiter close their eyes and say that can be me some day. That's really most of the battle. 

I don't totally disagree.  I pray Thorne drops 300 4tds in 2 weeks and we have "hope" to cling to next year and can sell that to recruits.  We have no proof of concept developed in '23. 

On the 2nd part, we're able to sell the future to a bunch of offensive kids this cycle.  I think if we have another year with more sub 100yd games than > 200yd games, it will def get harder.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We aren't jumping from where we are to champions in one or even two years. We need talent upgrades at every single position before that. You have a good QB that can will you to a few more wins that you would have lost though

Agree.  If everyone is correct, if we buy Cam Ward, we might not be able to buy all the HS kids we want.  I love Ward, I think he'd be helpful getting some WRs (I think Thorne is really hurting us here), but not sure he's worth enough to offset other talent improvements.

Next year....I think we have to go hard after an established QB.  Going into year 3 we'll start having a lot higher level talent at Jrs, Rs Soph, and RS Fr levels.  I hope we look a touch like Ole Miss next offseason.  Talent level has risen, start popping off on top end talent

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

My question is this. Why did Freeze waste snaps with Robby? Why not get HG some experience? 

Conspiracy....HG isn't better than Robby.  Even after essentially benching Robby, he was still #2

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Conspiracy....HG isn't better than Robby.  Even after essentially benching Robby, he was still #2

And as a result if PT gets hurt. We up doodie creek 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yes, but then we get 1st pick in the Transfer Portal, right?

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You not getting a bunch of good prospects throwing 30% and under 100 yards in the iron bowl. 

You may be wrong but you may be right.    We will see in a few days.

Wondering if  Malachi Nelson be a good fit. I believe he has 4 years to play. I guess that wouldn’t be an option with WW coming in.

Edited by e808

19 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

You may be wrong but you may be right.    We will see in a few days.

No we can't see what I'm talking about until a few years have gone by

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

This is what is mind boggling to me, especially with the way they are trying to make him a running threat

47 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My question is this. Why did Freeze waste snaps with Robby? Why not get HG some experience? 

Agree!! Gotta assume he was listening to OC about this, nothing else makes sense to me.