Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

15 hours ago, DAG said:

It will be alright . Don’t worry, little Peyton will be the starter next year 😉 then we will blame the OC when he goes 62% again. 

62% is better than Bo Nix's 58, 60, and 61% while at Auburn.  Oddly enough, it jumped to 71% at Oregon. Funny what happens when you have blocking,  receivers, and lesser competition.  Hugh pursued Riley Leonard which makes it clear he is in favor of bring a QB in if he thinks he can help.  He just doesn't want to bring someone in just to "do something".

• Like 5

Even comparing PT and Bo needs context. Bo freshman year still managed to beat two ranked teams.. The 2020 year was an all SEC schedule. I don’t see PT going into LSU and doing what BO did and his oline was worse than PT. Lastly PT for a good portion of the season didn’t throw the ball away and just took sacks. To me u should always try to get better IMO

Edited by e808
  • Like 4

On 12/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, bigbird said:

I'll say it this way...

There were plenty of both, but I saw more drops than bad throws.  

It wasn't just the drops though, it was when they occured.  Drive after drive were stopped and wide open TDs were dropped. 

There's no way there was more drops than bad throws for the year.  I will agree with the point not all drops are the same.  

Also to when talking about this particular topic nobody ever gives credit to the bad passes that were caught as well. 

I'm going to try to be as objective as I can but I'm not going to be quiet and do a blame everything on the wr thing on the board again. That's just me

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's no way there was more drops than bad throws for the year.  I will agree with the point not all drops are the same.  

Also to when talking about this particular topic nobody ever gives credit to the bad passes that were caught as well. 

I'm going to try to be as objective as I can but I'm not going to be quiet and do a blame everything on the wr thing on the board again. That's just me

Much harder to quantify the missed throws/bad throws/missed WRs than it drops....but there were plenty every game.  He shoulders at least 50% of the blame from the poor production.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

62% is better than Bo Nix's 58, 60, and 61% while at Auburn.  Oddly enough, it jumped to 71% at Oregon. Funny what happens when you have blocking,  receivers, and lesser competition.  Hugh pursued Riley Leonard which makes it clear he is in favor of bring a QB in if he thinks he can help.  He just doesn't want to bring someone in just to "do something".

Bo percentage jumped up because of what you mentioned but also because his oc understood his qb strengths and weaknesses.  Not as much pro stuff, not a bunch of reads, not a bunch of deep stuff,  and they script plays to get guys wide open, no throwing guys open and all of that.  Not no but not a bunch I should say.  

I was the Bo hater of course because I wouldn't say he was an elite qb here because he wasn't but, with that said he was 200% better than PT. It's disrespectful to Bo to compare the two.  It takes more than a couple of runs against bammer to live up or really deserve to be brought up with his name

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Bo percentage jumped up because of what you mentioned but also because his oc understood his qb strengths and weaknesses.  Not as much pro stuff, not a bunch of reads, not a bunch of deep stuff,  and they script plays to get guys wide open, no throwing guys open and all of that.  Not no but not a bunch I should say.  

I was the Bo hater of course because I wouldn't say he was an elite qb here because he wasn't but, with that said he was 200% better than PT. It's disrespectful to Bo to compare the two.  It takes more than a couple of runs against bammer to live up or really deserve to be brought up with his name

What Bo and Payton share is they both had their most successful seasons somewhere different than AU. Same For M Willis and TJ. We really have to change that narrative to move our program forward. 

• Like 3

On 12/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, bigbird said:

I'll say it this way...

There were plenty of both, but I saw more drops than bad throws.  

It wasn't just the drops though, it was when they occured.  Drive after drive were stopped and wide open TDs were dropped. 

It's also hard to know for sure when you see an "errant" throw whether it was the QB reading the coverage wrong or the WR.  Some of Peyton's and Hugh's reactions make me lean toward the latter on most of those.

Then there's the issue of the throws that aren't even made because there's no separation.  I'm sure there were times Thorne should have taken the shot and was too afraid to throw a pick so he ended up taking a sack or scrambling.  But I know I saw a lot of replays where WRs were covered up and not getting open or the commentators on the game said that's what was happening.  Way more than I saw clips of open WRs not being seen or commentators saying as much.  I realize that's not scientific, but the overall sense is that while we need better QB play, our WR play was significantly worse.

I mean, Freeze has put several WRs in the league over the years.  He knows what a difference maker at that position looks like.  But instead of working hard to keep his WR room intact and going all in on a new QB from anywhere he can find, he's refusing to pay insane amounts for portal QBs, recruiting his ass off for HS WRs and letting the room mostly walk.  That should tell you something about what he's seeing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Seems as if AU is riding with PT next year. I hope it works out. If so, I will gladly come on here and eat crow, dipped in BBQ sauce. 

Lots of risk.  We'll see what kinda talent we can surround him with.  Need 2 proven WRs and maybe another TE...toss in some OL too.

1.5 - 2mm should buy us some assets to go through spring

Edited by W.E.D

It's amazing and I guess ironic whenever it's a bad offense but I guess the fan base likes the qb or labels him an "Auburn man" or whatever it's the wr. We went from Bo where it was the coach and wr to in mid season when tj took over and the next year it was the qb and now even after watching this guy not be able to read and throw now we're back to being soft and seeing potential......🫣🙃

Like come on man, even as far as to say he played great the Iron bowl? Next year what I'm thinking is another when we play talent it's everybody else fault, then we beat down arky and liberty.  Play a tough iron bowl and we're be right back here again! Gus years right back!

• Like 2

Flip side. Bryce Young lit it up at Bama for 2 yrs with loads of talent around him. He goes to Carolina this yr and is struggling big time.  Im guessing he don't have the same talent advantage.  IDK, just gotta tell myself something 😕 

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Flip side. Bryce Young lit it up at Bama for 2 yrs with loads of talent around him. He goes to Carolina this yr and is struggling big time.  Im guessing he don't have the same talent advantage.  IDK, just gotta tell myself something 😕 

Bryce did a ton of "off script" theatrics at Bama.  That doesn't work in the NFL

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bryce did a ton of "off script" theatrics at Bama.  That doesn't work in the NFL

Yeah, but his team isn't as talented as Bama. When u take the competition into account.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's amazing and I guess ironic whenever it's a bad offense but I guess the fan base likes the qb or labels him an "Auburn man" or whatever it's the wr. We went from Bo where it was the coach and wr to in mid season when tj took over and the next year it was the qb and now even after watching this guy not be able to read and throw now we're back to being soft and seeing potential......🫣🙃

Like come on man, even as far as to say he played great the Iron bowl? Next year what I'm thinking is another when we play talent it's everybody else fault, then we beat down arky and liberty.  Play a tough iron bowl and we're be right back here again! Gus years right back!

5/16 for 91 yds passing and 15-57 rushing. I just dont get it. Because the receivers are bad doesnt make the QB good. What if everything is upgraded except QB and hes still bad?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man, you kill me😂. Say what you really want to say. This is your narrative on every thread, especially the basketball ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's also hard to know for sure when you see an "errant" throw whether it was the QB reading the coverage wrong or the WR.  Some of Peyton's and Hugh's reactions make me lean toward the latter on most of those.

Agree it's hard to know if the QB or the WR is to blame on certain plays. But when you finish last in the SEC in passing yards, I guarantee the QB is part of the problem.

And I don't see how route running, for example, is going to be fixed by true freshman WRs, as talented as they are. 

If we don't bring in someone decent to compete with Thorne, I don't want to hear Freeze complain about talent next season if the offense doesn't produce. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Agree it's hard to know if the QB or the WR is to blame on certain plays. But when you finish last in the SEC in passing yards, I guarantee the QB is part of the problem.

And I don't see how route running, for example, is going to be fixed by true freshman WRs, as talented as they are. 

If we don't bring in someone decent to compete with Thorne, I don't want to hear Freeze complain about talent next season if the offense doesn't produce. 

I hear you.  I just don't think Freeze is the kind of guy to look at the game film and be unable to identify within a reasonable degree of accuracy, the source of the problems on pass plays that didn't work.  And I don't think he's just mailing it in on portal QBs either.

I still think if a QB he thinks can help us or be real competition to Thorne is gettable, he'll go after him.  But he doesn't seem to be inclined to reach or devote an unreasonable amount of the available NIL funds to one guy when we have multiple positions of need if he thinks the guy we have has it within him to take a big step forward with better weapons around him and Hugh taking over the play calling full time.  

It's hard for me to say for sure, not being a coach and not having access to both the game film and the plays that were called in given situations to confidently identify the primary causes of the problems we had.  Maybe he sees the QB play as mostly fixable keeping existing players while the WR issue wasn't.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Such a short sighted  comparison and the sad thing is people like it. PT also had better players at Michigan state and he never came close to over 65%.  So the idea that he is just going to all of a certain go over 65% when we get “better “players is severely flawed. Then when he doesn’t , we will have people like you saying it’s better than 50%. No crap, the QB play here is abysmal and it should not be. Last year it was below average. It should not be. The passing game should not be as bad as it was last year , EVER at Auburn.  So no it is not as simple as , “well we saw what happened to Bo.”

5 hours ago, e808 said:

Even comparing PT and Bo needs context. Bo freshman year still managed to beat two ranked teams.. The 2020 year was an all SEC schedule. I don’t see PT going into LSU and doing what BO did and his oline was worse than PT. Lastly PT for a good portion of the season didn’t throw the ball away and just took sacks. To me u should always try to get better IMO

Thank you ! I am so tired of that same low hanging fruit rebuttal. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yeah, but his team isn't as talented as Bama. When u take the competition into account.

Not it's not, but his "style" doesn't really work in the NFL.  Running around frantically with an average arm doesn't get you very far.  Feel Bo Nix is going to suffer from some similar results 

56 minutes ago, cbo said:

People are in make believe land thinking a loaded HS WR core is going to come in here and fix everything

• Like 1

Another to consider is who are we surrounding him with besides the true freshman we are all hoping play insane. Zeek has said this will probably be a heavy laden transfer portal group so if that is the case, I hope things start picking up and some of the pieces we’ve seen have needed experience. I  not against G5 players but I am cautious. 

• Like 1

Remember that last year at this time we were having the same debate. Lots of people on here said we didn't need a transfer QB. We would be fine with Ashford or Geriner. Freeze and the other offensive coaches would develop them and plus we are upgrading our WRs in the transfer portal. 

Fortunately, we are in better shape this year with Thorne. But it's a very similar debate. Why does this fanbase want to settle? Especially at the QB position?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Remember that last year at this time we were having the same debate. Lots of people on here said we didn't need a transfer QB. We would be fine with Ashford or Geriner. Freeze and the other offensive coaches would develop them and plus we are upgrading our WRs in the transfer portal. 

Fortunately, we are in better shape this year with Thorne. But it's a very similar debate. Why does this fanbase want to settle? Especially at the QB position?

At the very least you need to bring in a veteran , even if it wasn’t your #1. Like why are we okay with hearing about HG, now? This kid has not played a meaningful snap yet..what’s the hold up? 

• Thanks 1