Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

5 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I think I'm just a little jaded by all the fan criticisms I've seen over the years of every single quarterback I have ever seen at both Texas and Auburn, with the possible exception of Cam Newton.  Lots of Texas folks wanted to turn Vince Young into a receiver or linebacker his sophomore year at Texas after he threw for something like 14 yards against OU.  Same with Colt McCoy early on.  Ewers last year.  To be honest, I was a harsh critic of Ewers myself, and of Sarkisian for playing him.  And Bo Nix, you all were not kind when you spoke about him.  I just don't think fans have the full picture ever.  I'm happy to let Freeze handle this one.  Maybe he can bring someone in to compete.  I don't think Thorne can transfer again.  But I don't think there are "lots of QB's" that would be a sure upgrade in his system. (try naming them). Maybe a few. If he can get one, fine.   If not, we have other positions to worry about.  Bottom line, I just don't trust fans when they criticize QB's.  They seldom know what they are talking about on that subject, including myself. Although I did defend Vince Young and Colt McCoy. Ewers not so much. And Nix, I thought you guys were unduly harsh, but I did think he was pedestrian.  When the offense sucks, the QB ALWAYS gets the blame. Deserved or not. 

It will be alright . Don’t worry, little Peyton will be the starter next year 😉 then we will blame the OC when he goes 62% again. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It will be alright . Don’t worry, little Peyton will be the starter next year 😉 then we will blame the OC when he goes 62% again. 

62% not terrible. For awhile we were in the low 50’s.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

62% not terrible. For awhile we were in the low 50’s.

Yes when you compare it to 50% and that’s exactly wrong around here . While Florida state, Oregon  and tOSU are deep in the portal for QBs. But what do they know. But let’s not Kidd ourselves , compared to TJ Finley , Kiehl Frazier , etc this criticism is pie in the sky .

Edited by DAG

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think that a complete off-season under CHF and Kent will pay off larger than others seem to think. 

it's a tough decision and one that will earn Hugh's paycheck next year.  We've seen a lot of QB struggle or be less effective in year one of a new system, then do a lot better in year two.

These kids aren't NFL vets that can easily change systems.

That's all we can hope for.  Hope some talent helps hid his deficiencies, he picks up the offense and see the wide open WRs, some balls are caught more frequently, and Hugh focuses on the offense and we don't get horrendous game plans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes when you compare it to 50% and that’s exactly wrong around here . While Florida state and tOSU are deep in the portal for QBs. But what do they know 

Florida St. has a QB that has 62% completion rate that is coming back? I think tOSU deal is more about lack of security rather than competition percentages but who knows . Also just saw rumor that they landed their transfer QB from Washington State (Ward). Highest CP was 2023 at 66%.

Edited by Hank2020

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Florida St. has a QB that has 62% completion rate that is coming back? I think tOSU deal is more about lack of security rather than competition percentages but who knows .

Yea and they are active in the portal for that reason despite having insane talent surrounded him. They just beat a ranked team without scoring an offensive touchdown.

Well supposedly tOSU is going after cam ward , so that’s a day 1 starter and they had a quality QB already . With all this to say, if they want to keep PT and build around him cool .  But I can see fans saying exactly what you saying if there is marginal improvement.

From reading the tea leaves and watching most podcasts. Thorne is going to be the guy going into next year. A prediction was made of 7-5 for next year based off the schedule. Idk those road games were pretty bad outside of the bottom feeders. Turnovers and inaccurate passes .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yea and they are active in the portal for that reason despite having insane talent surrounded him. They just beat a ranked team without scoring an offensive touchdown.

Well supposedly tOSU is going after cam ward , so that’s a day 1 starter and they had a quality QB already . With all this to say, if they want to keep PT and build around him cool .  But I can see fans saying exactly what you saying if there is marginal improvement.

I think 62% is fine if you have 250-300 yds passing. Our problem was we threw so little, did not give us balance (unless we could not run eitherLol). I definitely want more production from QB, to include leadership which he didn’t stand out to me. I’m great with 70% as long as it gives us the whole offfensive scheme.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think 62% is fine if you have 250-300 yds passing. Our problem was we threw so little, did not give us balance (unless we could not run eitherLol). I definitely want more production from QB, to include leadership which he didn’t stand out to me. I’m great with 70% as long as it gives us the whole offfensive scheme.

Thats fair. I just think if the argument is being made he needs better players to perform better then he should at least be vying for 65% at the least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Florida St. has a QB that has 62% completion rate that is coming back? I think tOSU deal is more about lack of security rather than competition percentages but who knows . Also just saw rumor that they landed their transfer QB from Washington State (Ward). Highest CP was 2023 at 66%.

Comp% us a metric, but it also needs context. 

Throne had one of the lowest YPA in all of the SEC.  It was around 7...which us abysmal.  It means he's not throwing down field well.  Travis Jordan was at 8.5 and 9.1 last year.  

Dart. Cook, Milroe, Daniels, Beck are all > 9.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nthemix said:

ZERO excitement if PT is the QB next year 

He'd have to show out in the spring game (that means nothing and has limited projections for the next sesson) to get many ppl excited. 

We'll see what WRs we bring in, bust returning the worst QB out of 15 or 16 teams and trying to spin it as "2nd year in offense" and "has a better supporting cast" is going to be a tough sell for a lot of ppl

Edited by W.E.D

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Comp% us a metric, but it also needs context. 

Throne had one of the lowest YPA in all of the SEC.  It was around 7...which us abysmal.  It means he's not throwing down field well.  Travis Jordan was at 8.5 and 9.1 last year.  

Dart. Cook, Milroe, Daniels, Beck are all > 9.

I totally agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I totally agree.

If Hugh Freeze could convince Perry Thompson, Coleman, Simmons, Cain to come to AU knowing that PT would be the starting QB, it would be the greatest sales job in the history of mankind 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think he is short on many of those attributes too. However, I think it's a product of a lack of trust in the receivers and a lack of understanding of the offense.  

I think that a complete off-season under CHF and Kent will pay off larger than others seem to think. 

Why not Mccall? he  was option 1 last yr. Any idea what changed?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, nthemix said:

I guess it depends on who we all get..if highschool recruiting goes great hooray. Not that impressed on some of the portal offers I’ve been seeing..

56 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If Hugh Freeze could convince Perry Thompson, Coleman, Simmons, Cain to come to AU knowing that PT would be the starting QB, it would be the greatest sales job in the history of mankind 

Those guys aren't making their decisions off a guy who will be here their TrFr year

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Those guys aren't making their decisions off a guy who will be here their TrFr year

What are they basing it on? Just NIL? I'm not sure walker white will be ready as RS Fresh.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What are they basing it on? Just NIL? I'm not sure walker white will be ready as RS Fresh.

Vision, White (who might throw to them for 1 season too), NIL, maybe the other QBs on the roster, promise to buy a QB for 25-26

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why not Mccall? he  was option 1 last yr. Any idea what changed?

Last year we were desperate. We had Robbie and TJ.  This year, I'm assuming CHF likes the options of PT and HG equal to others that have entered. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Vision, White (who might throw to them for 1 season too), NIL, maybe the other QBs on the roster, promise to buy a QB for 25-26

Like  I said , best sales job in the history of mankind. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

HG

He must be buying what Freeze is selling to not have jumped in the portal despite never ever getting playing time. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

He must be buying what Freeze is selling to not have jumped in the portal despite never ever getting playing time. 

There may be a plan for succession. I do know that HG is viewed favorably.  There could also be some fear in losing HG if we bring in another .

With the right coaching and development, 

PT=> HG => WW isn't a bad room.

I wanted a QB to come in and push PT for competition purposes, not because I don't think PT can do it. If HG is doing that effectively, then I don't see a real need to bring in a portal QB. JMO

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nthemix said:

welcome to Aufam! i am the crazy one...............