11.11.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Freeze talks leadership offensive improvement as Tigers prepare for Hogs

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

Tigers staying engaged a key to success

When Auburn’s Hugh Freeze took the job, he knew it was going to be a matter of development for the Tigers as they faced a tough schedule in 2023. Losing four straight games to Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss during the middle of the year, Auburn has now won games over Mississippi State and Vanderbilt the last two weeks as the Tigers head to face Arkansas this weekend in Fayetteville.

A big reason for the success that Auburn has seen comes from the connection between Freeze, his staff, his leadership and the locker room. The Tigers have been engaged and ready to compete each week. The first-year coach said that’s where it starts and ends when you’re trying to build a team and a culture.

“I think the key for anybody in life, in marriage, in teams, in churches, in businesses, you’re going to have unmet expectations that hit you square in the face at some point,” Freeze said. “The ability to stay engaged with the process of becoming is hard. In a team setting like ours, obviously it takes leaders starting with the coaching staff, to say ‘this is how we do it.’ If it ends there with me standing up on a podium and it never gets from my voice to the leadership of the team’s voice to the locker room, I’m probably fighting an uphill battle.

“Thank God we’ve got some kids that said, ‘we don’t care what the scoreboard says, we’re going to stay the course and stay engaged.’ Is that 100 percent? No, I don’t think that ever happens in any business or group, but we’ve had enough that said ‘this is the standard and we’re not bailing on it.’ You’ve got to give a lot of credit to the leaders of the team.”

Tempo unlocking the Auburn offense

A big reason for Auburn’s success in the last two weeks has been because of the way the Tigers have played. Deciding to get back to using tempo, Freeze said it has unlocked things for them on that side of the ball because of the way they are executing.

“We’re willing to play faster,” he said. “We’re willing to take vertical shots down the field. They don’t always work, but until the last few weeks we’ve probably been very hesitant to do either of those. I truthfully can’t remember outside of the last drive at Ole Miss where we’ve really put the pedal to the gas. I think the last few weeks is a progress of us maturing a little bit. Of us getting better at some spots. And us changing as coaches to do things differently than we’ve done earlier in the season.

“You’ve still got to block. You’ve still got to protect. You’ve still got to run the right routes. You’ve still got to make the throw. All of those things I mentioned earlier still have to be executed properly. I think it’s a combination of all that, plus we’re probably getting a little better at some spots.”

While there’s still plenty to improve for this team as they try to become bowl eligible and continue the momentum, Freeze said it all comes down to getting better at every position. A spot they continue to focus on has been at the wide receiver position, where the Tigers have gotten better but also left a ton of plays on the field last week against the Commodores.

“We’re trying to improve that receiver room for nine weeks,” Freeze said. “Now we’re starting to see some take a step forward. We’re still not there. We dropped seven passes last week that I think put that game totally out of hand, even with the two penalties and rushing touchdowns called back. I think if we complete most of those balls, we’re up at least three or four scores in the fourth quarter and it’s out of hand.

“You’re constantly evaluating each position and seeing who may have had a better week this week and he deserves most of the reps in the first quarter. I know that’s the case in the receiver room and the o-line room.”

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Five reasons why Auburn will beat Arkansas on Saturday

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

Auburn football will close out the road slate of their schedule on Saturday afternoon by paying the Arkansas Razorbacks a visit in Fayetteville.

Both teams are similar, which led the oddsmakers to give Arkansas a slight three-point advantage this week. ESPN also anticipates a close game by giving the home team a 54% chance to win, which is the closest prediction among SEC games this week according to ESPN analytics.

No one is expecting a blowout, but it is clear that the Tigers are underdogs heading into the game. Can they pull off the upset? It is incredibly possible.

Here are five reasons why the Tigers will sneak away from Northwest Arkansas with a victory on Saturday.

USATSI_16967454.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn heads into Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium on Saturday, where they have won three games in a row dating back to 2017, and have won four of the last five. It also helps that head coach Hugh Freeze won his most recent game in Fayetteville when he led Liberty to a 21-19 victory in 2022. There is something about Fayetteville, and the Tigers can take advantage.

USATSI_19320844.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Arkansas has one of the SEC’s best quarterbacks in KJ Jefferson. His 6-3, 247-pound frame makes him a dangerous runner in addition to being a solid passer. However, his protection has been subpar at best, which does not mesh with Auburn’s pass rush. Arkansas’ offensive line has allowed a whopping 107 pressures this season, with 37 resulting in sacks. Auburn will bring powerful weapons in Jalen McLeod, Eugene Asante, and Marcus Harris to Fayetteville to attack Jefferson, and should have a successful day doing so.

1775082668.jpg

Johnnie Izquierdo/Getty Images

If Jefferson finds the time to throw the ball, Auburn’s secondary will make it difficult for him to complete passes. Opposing quarterbacks are completing less than 66% of passes targeted at receivers that are covered by either Jaylin Simpson or DJ James. Arkansas’ top receiver, Andrew Armstrong, has hauled in just 76% of passes thrown his way. Mixing in the fact that the Tigers lead the SEC in total takeaways, it will be a challenging day for the Razorbacks offense.

USATSI_21652128-1.jpg

The Daily Advertiser

Since taking the reigns of the offense full-time, Payton Thorne has found confidence in his arm. He has completed 70% of his passes for 424 yards and five touchdowns over the last two games, and his confidence could rise again on Saturday as he goes against a defense that allows 210 passing yards per game.

Auburn-Tight-End-Rivaldo-Fairweather-13-

Austin Perryman/Auburn Tigers

Auburn has had an up-and-down season to this point, and knowing that a bowl invite is waiting on the other side of the game is a motivating factor. Expect Auburn to play inspired on Saturday.

Follow all your favorite Alabama teams at Auburn Wire and Roll Tide Wire!

• Like 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn releases uniform combo for Arkansas, looks to improve to 3-0 in it

Grant Bricker | 16 hours ago
1–2 minutes

Auburn is bringing some ice with it to Fayetteville in Week 11.

The Tigers are on the road again after a 31-15 win over Vanderbilt in Nashville. Auburn will be wearing its all-white uniform combo in the hopes to improve to 3-0 in them.

freestar

Hugh Freeze needs just 1 more win to become bowl eligible in his first season back in the SEC.

Run it ? with the all whites ? pic.twitter.com/MOOvQG7IAY

— Auburn Football (@AuburnFootball) November 10, 2023

Arkansas doesn’t have much more room for error coming into the matchup at 3-6. Sam Pittman can’t afford another loss if he wants to reach a bowl. The Razorbacks head back home after their first SEC win of the season in The Swamp over Florida.

Arkansas won last season’s matchup 41-27 at Jordan Hare Stadium. The win snapped a 6-game losing streak to the Tigers dating back to 2016.

Auburn leads the all-time series 19-12. With an undefeated uniform streak and potential bowl game appearance on the line, the Tigers and Razorbacks face off at Razorback Stadium.

Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET on SEC Network.

• Like 1

247sports.com

Topranked JUCO safety Laquan Robinson commits to Auburn

Christian Clemente

5–6 minutes

The No. 8 JUCO player and No. 1 JUCO safety joins Auburn's class.

Immediate help is on the way at safety. Laquan Robinson, the No. 8 overall JUCO player and No. 1 JUCO safety in the 247Sports JUCO composite rankings, has announced his commitment to Auburn over Texas A&M and Ole Miss.

Why Auburn?

"I'd have to say Coach (Hugh) Freeze," Robinson said. "Connecting on a different level. Every time we speak it just hits."

Originally from Greenville, Alabama, Robinson was a target for Zac Etheridge and the Auburn staff back in the 2022 recruiting cycle before opting to take the JUCO route. Now a couple of years later, Robinson joins Auburn's class. Currently at Holmes Community College, Robinson visited Auburn for the Georgia game and was back this weekend on an official visit for the Ole Miss matchup.

"All my life, my family and my dad were big Auburn fans," Robinson said previously. "It really meant a lot bringing him up to see that. My family have been Auburn fans ever since I was born."

Robinson is the first JUCO addition as Auburn looks for immediate help for next year in the 2024 season. 

“I love what Coach Freeze has done with the program,” Robinson said. “The atmosphere here is special. I feel a good connection with Auburn."

In his first year at Holmes, Robinson finished with 46 tackles, three tackles for loss and an interception. Through six games this season, Robinson has 28 tackles, an interception and a fimble recovery.

At 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds, Robinson is expected to help fill the void with Zion Puckett and Jaylin Simpson set to graduate.

“I think I fit perfectly in the backfield,” Robinson said.

Auburn now holds commitments in the secondary from Robinson and 4-stars Kensley Faustin, Jalyn Crawford and A'Mon Lane along with 3-star hybrid Kaleb Harris. Auburn's 17 commitments is good for No. 17 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

McLeod bringing 'something different' for Auburn defense

Jalen McLeod is healthy and showing what Auburn saw from him in the preseason.

AUBURN, Alabama—When Hugh Freeze and the new Auburn staff took over in December, there were a few positions that were obvious targets to try to improve in the transfer portal. Maybe the top of the list was the jack linebacker spot where the Tigers did not return a single scholarship player from last season’s roster.

Enter Appalachian State transfer Jalen McLeod. Part of a completely rebuilt group that includes Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, Liberty transfer Stephen Sings and true freshman Brenton Williams, McLeod was the guy the Tigers were counting on to provide the speed off the edge as a true pass rusher.

Early in the season that wasn’t the case with McLeod slowed by an ankle injury after dominating in preseason practices, but now he’s closer to full speed and the results speak for themselves. One of the top players in the country at pressuring the quarterback in the last three games, McLeod is finally showing the production that Auburn hoped to get from him when he signed with the Tigers.

“I’m very thankful he decided to come here,” Auburn defensive back Keionte Scott said. “He makes this defense very good. He’s a threat. I’m just thankful to be a part of him. During the recruiting process I told him ‘we’re going to make each other good.’ I’m glad he was able to come here. He’s going to continue to dominate.”

McLeod could be especially important this week with Auburn’s defense having to try to slow down one of the best running quarterbacks in the country. The ability to pressure without blitzing is a huge piece of the puzzle when facing someone like Arkansas’s KJ Jefferson. It has been an issue for the Razorbacks this season as well, allowing 36 sacks, with only South Carolina and Alabama giving up more in the Southeastern Conference.

It could be where McLeod can make a big difference on Saturday for a defensive line group that is coming off its best game, but still has more work to do.

“He plays hard,” Freeze said. “He's having to play too many snaps. We still don't have the depth at pass rushing that we need, but boy, he's made some — Look, our D-Line Saturday, we probably had more people involved in negative plays than we have. Jayson Jones was involved in one, Justin Rogers, Lawrence (Johnson) was in one.

“We're used to Jalen making a few. It was good to see all those guys, but Jalen is definitely the biggest threat we have, and that's good for us. But it's also somewhat —I mean, when I'm gameplanning for somebody, and I'm sure vice-versa, you're going to — if you're not afraid of both sides — the slide side is going to get sent to the best dude, and I think that happens a lot to him.”

Tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures while adding 2.5 sacks and 4.5 tackles for a loss, McLeod still hasn’t had that true breakout performance yet in an Auburn uniform. His teammates believe it’s coming because of what they know and have seen from him.

“It's scary,” Rogers said. “When he's on that edge by himself, it's something different. He brings a lot to the table and a lot to the team, for real.”

Kickoff for Saturday’s game against Arkansas is scheduled for 3 p.m. on the SEC Network.

no new videos loaded so far this morning. i will check back later.

• Like 1

Auburn at Arkansas: Stream, injury report, broadcast info for Saturday’s game in Fayetteville

Taylor Jones

Sat, November 11, 2023 at 6:00 AM CST·4 min read

Auburn travels to Fayetteville to face Arkansas at Donald W Reynolds Razorback Stadium on Saturday, and if you’re wondering how you can watch the action live, you’ve come to the right place.

Auburn football will enter the gates of Razorback Stadium in hopes of earning a win over Arkansas to gain bowl eligibility. The Razorbacks have had a challenging season to this point but found new life last Saturday in an upset win at Florida.

The Tigers have several advantages working for them but will need to shut down Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson in order to earn the win. Head coach Hugh Freeze described how special Jefferson is to the Arkansas offense.

“It is just amazing some of the tackles he gets out of and then extends plays. That is certainly an area we got to look at. If you watch him enough you know you’re not going to get him on the ground every single time. You just hope those are not explosive runs or explosive passes that happen after you miss him. He is very strong and very difficult to get on the ground.”

Below, you will find everything you need to know ahead of Saturday’s game between Auburn and Arkansas including a broadcast guide, an injury report, and key players to watch.

How to watch Saturday's game

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Here’s when you should tune in to see the game:

Date: Saturday, Nov. 11

Time: 3 p.m. CT

TV Channel: SEC Network (Dave Neal, Derek Mason, Alex Chappell)

Live Stream: fuboTV (watch here)

How to listen to Saturday's game

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Listen to Auburn Football on your local Auburn Sports Network affiliate all season long. Andy Burcham and Jason Campbell will provide live play-by-play coverage of Auburn’s game at Arkansas. Pregame coverage begins at 12 p.m. CT.

Find your nearest Auburn Sports Network affiliate below:

Sirius/XM

Ch. 191

Abbeville

98.7 FM

Albany, Georgia

102.9 FM

Atlanta, Georgia

1010 AM

Auburn

94.3 FM

Alexander City

97.5 FM

Andalusia

93.7 FM

Bainbridge, Georgia

99.3 FM

Bainbridge, Georgia

930 AM

Birmingham

100.5 FM

Centre

100.5 FM

Centre

990 AM

Columbus, Georgia

102.9 FM

Cullman

92.1 FM

Cullman

98.3 FM

Demopolis

106.5 FM

Dothan

102.5 FM

Eufaula

102.9 FM

Evergreen

101.1 FM

Flomaton

105.1 FM

Florence

94.9 FM

Foley

92.5 FM

Foley

1310 AM

Fort Payne

100.9 FM

Fort Payne

1250 AM

Gadsden

1350 AM

Greenville

94.3 FM

Hackleburg

95.5 FM

Huntsville

100.3 FM

Jasper

88.5 FM

Ocean Springs, Mississippi

106.5 FM

Oxford

92.7 FM

LaGrange, Georgia

102.3 FM

Macon, Georgia

102.9 FM

Mobile

106.5 FM

Montgomery

92.3 FM

Moulton

97.9 FM

Panama City, Florida

104.3 FM

Pensacola, Florida

105.1 FM

Roanoke

102.3 FM

Scottsboro

1050 AM

Selma

1490 AM

Spartanburg, SC

1530 AM

Sylacauga

100.3 FM

Sylacauga

1290 AM

Thomasville

95.5 FM

Troy

970 AM

Tuscaloosa

100.5 FM

Vernon

100.7 FM

Vernon

1380 AM

Auburn Tigers injury report

Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

DL Mosiah Nasili-Kite

Biceps

Out for the season

Arkansas Razorbacks injury report

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

WR Andrew Armstrong

Undisclosed

Probable for Saturday’s game

P Devin Bale

Undisclosed

Questionable for Saturday’s game

RB Rashod Dubinion

Personal

Questionable for Saturday’s game

TE Ty Washington

Shoulder

Out for Saturday’s game

TE Luke Hasz

Shoulder

Out for Saturday’s game

WR Sam Mbake

Knee

Out for Saturday’s game

Auburn's key players to watch

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

QB Payton Thorne (117-183/ 1,269/ 10 TD/ 6 INT)

RB Jarquez Hunter (108 carries, 636 yards, 7 TD)

S Jaylin Simpson (4 INT)

LB Eugene Asante (67 tackles)

DL Marcus Harris (8 tackles for loss)

Arkansas Razorbacks key players to watch

Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

QB KJ Jefferson (163-250/ 1,802 yards/ 18 TD)

RB Rocket Sanders (194 rush yards)

WR Andrew Armstrong (46 catches, 623 yards, 4 TD)

LB Jaheim Thomas (79 tackles)

LB Chris Paul Jr. (54 tackles)

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Happy game day Fiddy. Thankfully no tailgating today. Gray and damp hovering in the mid 50s on the Plains all day.

back at you mr salty! i can only imagine how good your butts are being in demand like they are. i got my rain so i willkick back and just enjoy the day! war eagle my auburn brother!

• Like 1

• aubiefifty changed the title to 11.11.23 Football Articles
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

back at you mr salty! i can only imagine how good your butts are being in demand like they are. i got my rain so i willkick back and just enjoy the day! war eagle my auburn brother!

Think I will “kick back” with you. Went out earlier in my customary game day shorts. Back inside to reconsider todays attire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think I will “kick back” with you. Went out earlier in my customary game day shorts. Back inside to reconsider todays attire. 

i wear a robe and house shoes when i do not go out. i get as comfy as i can...........lol

• Like 1