11.8.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Top247 OL DeAndre Carter reaffirms Auburn commitment

Christian Clemente

6–8 minutes

Carter visited Texas earlier this fall but will be back in Auburn for the Iron Bowl.

Texas has made things interesting over the past couple of months, but DeAndre Carter reassured Auburn fans of his commitment on Twitter/X on Tuesday. He also confirmed his plans to return to the Plains for the Iron Bowl at the end of the month, something that's been expected for a while now.

"Excited to be headed to the Iron Bowl!!!" Carter tweeted. "Staying home!!! 100% committed to Auburn!!!"

Pledging to Auburn during a visit for Big Cat Weekend and after an official visit to Auburn in June, Carter went public with his decision after the season opener on Sept. 3.

“With Auburn, I have great relationship with the coaching staff and they have done a really good job connecting with me and my family," Carter said. "I also like how they’re turning the program around and it would be fun to be a part of something like that.”

But with an already planned official visit to Texas on the weekend of Sept. 30, the Mater Dei (Calif.) product indeed visited the Longhorns. Auburn was aware of the visit, but with his 5-star teammate committing to Texas shortly before the visit, Texas picked up steam and left him mulling his decision.

“I’m just going to play it by ear and when I know, I’ll know,” Carter told 247Sports' Greg Biggins. “It’s a huge decision and I’m not going to rush anything. I know I have time so I’m just going to make the decision when I’m 100% confident in it, but I’m not there right now.”

Now, it appears he is there and is locked in with Auburn. 

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 340 pounds, Carter is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 123 player, No. 3 interior offensive lineman and No. 11 player from California. Carter is currently the lone offensive line commit for Auburn in the 2024 cycle, which ranks No. 17 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

• Like 1

si.com

Payton Thorne on being Auburn's only QB: 'I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't feel better'

Daniel Locke

2–3 minutes

Auburn is looking for its third-straight win this week. What did quarterback Payton Thorne have to say heading into the game?

Payton Thorne has regained full control of the starting job. The junior from Naperville, Ill. transferred to Auburn from Michigan State this offseason and won the starting job in August.

Thorne had to overcome some adversity this season but appears to have figured things out. He has gone 117-183 for 1,269 yards and 10 touchdowns so far this season. 

Thorne threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown against Vanderbilt. He acknowledged what happened on the play and how he will avoid making similar mistakes.

"I just didn't see him," Thorne said. "I should have looked out there pre-snap, I knew what the coverage was pre-snap but I was looking more down the middle of the field."

Things have not gone according to plan at times this season, but the Tigers seem to have more confidence now. Thorne elaborated on how beneficial confidence can be for a team.

"I think the confidence has continued to rise," Thorne said. "That comes from playing well in the field. We're able to put more points on the board and we're able to convert more on third-down and execute our game plan better. That's definitely going to boost our confidence."

Thorne talked about what it has been like to be the main guy at quarterback once again.

"I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't feel better," Thorne said. "It's something I'm used to. For the last couple years, that's how it was for me."

Thorne's level of play will go a long way in determining how successful Auburn ends up being this season.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Holden Geriner moves up to No 2 QB in Auburn practice

Nathan King

7–9 minutes

“I think Holden had one heck of a week last week,” Freeze said. “And he can really spin it, and he's probably one that — I think he's got a bright future.”

Auburn's quarterback depth chart may have been shuffled.

In the wake of heavy praise for third-string quarterback Holden Geriner from Hugh Freeze, the redshirt freshman took all the second-team reps during the 25-minute media viewing window at Auburn's Tuesday practice.

For five different throwing drills — rollout passes, two sets of out routes, slants and deep posts — the clear order of quarterbacks was Payton Thorne, Geriner then Robby Ashford. 

Geriner also had an increased role last week ahead of Auburn's trip to Vanderbilt.

“He got a good amount of reps more than usual this week, and I thought he did a good job with that,” Thorne said Monday. “He's done a good job being consistent all year.”

Unprompted on Monday, Freeze praised the progression of the former 4-star recruit.

“I think Holden had one heck of a week last week,” Freeze said. “And he can really spin it, and he's probably one that — I think he's got a bright future.”

Auburn's 31-15 win at Vanderbilt was the only game this season in which Ashford did not play. Freeze said Monday that had more to do with what Thorne was doing well within the offense, and not what Ashford had been doing poorly.

“I believe Payton's skillsets are the most prepared for what we're doing,” Freeze said. “It's not a negative towards anybody else, I think he's — you talk about playing with tempo, setting our protections, throwing accuracy with footballs and understanding coverages, I think that he's the farthest along in that.”

Auburn heads to Arkansas on Saturday (3 p.m. CST, SEC Network), and it looks as though the Tigers would turn to Geriner if Thorne went down.

“He comes in, he watches the film with me and the coaches,” Thorne said of Geriner. “He's there and he's present and he is doing his best to learn — and he's hungry to learn more. And so that's a good thing and he's, he's been real cool to me. And I hope that I’m going to help him out along the way, too.”

• Like 1

al.com

How healthy is Auburn heading into game at Arkansas? A look at Tuesday’s practice report

Published: Nov. 07, 2023, 5:16 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze on Auburn's bowl chances, trip to Arkansas

As Auburn’s quest for bowl eligibility stretches into this weekend with Hugh Freeze and the Tigers turning their attention to Saturday’s game at Arkansas, the hope is Auburn’s isn’t affected by many — if any — injuries.

At last week’s game at Vanderbilt, Auburn center Avery Jones was the only player of note to miss action for the second week in a row.

However, Jones was back in action during Tuesday afternoon’s practice and was without a non-contact jersey, but had his left leg wrapped and in a brace.

Jones suffered a lower leg injury against Ole Miss on Oct. 21.

During Monday’s press conference, Freeze wasn’t yet sure what Jones’ availability for Saturday’s game at Arkansas might be, but regardless said Connor Lew would still get reps against the Razorbacks.

“I don’t think (Jones) being out the last three weeks, particularly when it’s a lower leg injury, that he’s going to be ready to go out there and play 60-70 snaps,” Freeze said of Jones. “So if he is available, it still will be a shared responsibility here.”

Lew — a true freshman and former 4-star prospect — has since replaced Jones as Auburn’s starting center and has done well enough to earn the SEC’s freshman of the week honor after his performance against Mississippi State.

Meanwhile, on the defense’s side of the field, junior linebacker Eugene Asante still wore a yellow, non-contact jersey — just as he did last Tuesday as the Tigers prepared for the Commodores.

Asante’s injury, which is undisclosed, didn’t stop him from seeing the field against Vanderbilt on Saturday, when Asante went on to tally five tackles and one tackle for a loss. His status for Saturday’s game vs. Arkansas is unclear.

Auburn is set to travel to Arkansas Saturday for a 3 p.m. kickoff from Razorback Stadium.

247sports.com

Keys brings hunting mentality for Auburn linebackers

Jason Caldwell

6–8 minutes

Auburn's Austin Keys is back and the linebackers are playing well

AUBURN, Alabama—When Auburn brought in Austin Keys from Ole Miss, he was the guy that the Tigers were counting on to be one of the leaders on the defense in the first season under Hugh Freeze. A 6-2, 245-pounder, Keys has the classic middle linebacker size to go along with a strong work ethic. But an injury early in the year put Keys on the sidelines before a return for the Ole Miss game three weeks ago.

Now back and settling in on the field, Keys has been a big part of things in wins over Mississippi State and Vanderbilt as the Auburn linebacker group is playing its best football of the season. In a steady rotation along with Eugene Asante, Larry Nixon and Cam Riley, Auburn’s linebacker group is continuing to progress as the Tigers get ready for a tough challenge this weekend at Arkansas.

“I thought our linebackers played their best game truthfully,” Freeze said. “We had one we turned loose an over route, eyes got a little dirty with the play fake and we didn't get cut the tight end on them. Outside of that I thought they played really, really solid. And I think Austin being back, it really gives us four guys that we can rotate and they're not having to play, I mean, I was looking at the play count last night. I think Austin played the most, but it was 40 plays maybe and everybody else's 20’s and 30’s.”

Having to rebuild the roster, Freeze and his staff worked through the transfer portal to try to build as much depth as possible on both sides of the ball. It has been a key on defense for the Tigers this season as they have used depth and pressure to overcome a lack of pure playmakers on the front seven. Defensive back Keionte Scott said the rotation they’ve got going now has them feeling good.

“I think it was one of the things at the beginning of the year was the motto to build depth,” Scott said. “I feel like that’s something they’ve acquired. We feel confident as a defense with any of those guys on the field. I feel like we’ve gotten to the point where we’ve got our guys that we can roll it. We’ve got our strength and depth behind us.”

Freeze said getting Keys back has been a huge addition for the Tigers because it has lessened the load of everyone else at the position. With four players capable of playing both spots, it has provided build in depth for a unit that doesn’t have a lot of options.

“And I just think anytime you can do that on defense, particularly in the front seven, you're gonna be fresher and better to take on what you have to take on in that box when it's not having to play 50, 60 snaps,” Freeze said. “And so number one, he is one of our better players and number two, it takes the load off of him. The load is shared now, you know, among Willie, Cam and Larry and Eugene and him.”

And Keys may just be the guy that brings everything together for the Tigers down the stretch. Wanting to play fast and physical, Auburn’s defense has the mindset of getting after folks and being relentless. Scott said Keys is the embodiment of that.

“He just brings that hunting mentality,” Scott said. “As a defense that’s what we do and what we want to do. We want to hunt. He hunts every play. He’s very physical, clogging those holes up and getting to the linemen. When those linemen do get to him, he’s able to maneuver and have the strength to get them out of the way. That’s a key piece you’ve got to have at mike linebacker. He’s very good at communicating and seeing things and diagnosing the offense.”

#PMARSHONAU: Despite record, Razorbacks are indeed a 'really scary team'

Rejuvenated Arkansas team awaits Auburn in Fayetteville

How can the Arkansas football team be 3-6 overall and 1-5 in the SEC and be, as Auburn coach Hugh Freeze put it Monday, “a very scary team?” Here’s how:

The Razorbacks lost at No. LSU 34-31 on a field goal with five seconds left. They lost 27-20 at Ole Miss after leading in the fourth quarter. They lost 24-21 at No.8 Alabama, rallying from a 24-6 deficit. They have had a couple of real stinkers, too, losing 37-31 to BYU at home in the third game of the season, starting a six-game losing streak. The worst of all was a 7-3 loss to Mississippi State at home three weeks ago. That loss led head coach Sam Pittman to can offensive coordinator Dan Enos and turn play-calling over to wide receivers coach Kenny Guiton.

12072682.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

It paid off. After an open date, the Razorbacks went to Florida last Saturday and won 39-36 in overtime. Big and fast quarterback KJ Jefferson ran for 92 yards and passed for 255 yards. Running back Rocket Sanders, in and out of the lineup because of injuries, ran 18 times for 103 yards.

Defensively, the Razorbacks have been solid for most of the season. And that brings us to some intrigue in Saturday’s game, the T-Will factor.

Former All-SEC Auburn linebacker and assistant coach Travis Williams is Arkansas’ defensive coordinator. Williams loved – and probably still loves – Auburn as much as anyone. And probably, nobody wants to win Saturday’s game more than he does. It’s safe to say he will make sure his players are ready for a fight.

In what seemed to be a lost season, the Razorbacks must win their last three games to qualify for a bowl. After Auburn, they play Florida International at home and close the regular season at home against Missouri.

Auburn, meanwhile, has won two straight – 27-13 over Mississippi State and 31-15 at Vanderbilt. In Nashville last Saturday, the Tigers could easily have scored in the 40s or 50s had it not been for self-inflicted wounds. Two Jarquez Hunter touchdown runs were wiped out by needless penalties. Freeze said seven passes were dropped. Still, the Tigers led 31-7 in the third quarter and were never in any real danger.

“I don’t know that we can have those not go our way in Fayetteville,” Freeze said. And he was probably right.

Freeze took Liberty to Fayetteville last season and pulled off a 21-19 upset. A week earlier, Arkansas had visited Jordan-Hare Stadium. Auburn players who were there, no doubt, remember that game. It wasn’t much of a game. Arkansas led 38-13 in the fourth quarter before Auburn scored two consolation touchdowns. Arkansas won 41-27. The following day, Bryan Harsin was fired, setting in motion the chain of events that brought Freeze to Auburn.

Like the Razorbacks, the Tigers are trying to get to a bowl game. They are one win away from getting that done. This game won’t be more than a blip on the national scene, but for both teams, it matters. It matters a lot.

si.com

Auburn Running Back Jarquez Hunter One of the SEC's Best

Brian Smith
2–3 minutes

Auburn Tigers running back Jarquez Hunter is a top SEC performer

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

Auburn Tigers

Just how good has Auburn Tigers running back Jarquez Hunter been inside of Hugh Freeze's new offensive system this season? Here are key statistics to draw from; you be the judge.

• Besides long runs like the 53-yard jaunt versus Ole Miss and the 67-yard scamper versus Vanderbilt, Hunter has six total rushes of 20 or more yards on the season, plus 15 rushes of 10 or more yards.
  • From just 108 rushing attempts, Hunter has found paydirt 7 times. That’s 6.5% of the time for Hunter scoring a touchdown. For reference, SEC touchdown leader and Ole Miss Rebel Quinshon Judkins has 12 scores from 169 carries, a 7.1% average. Hunter is close behind.
  • Auburn relies on Hunter in the fourth quarter as well. He has 91 rushes for 437 yards, a 4.8 average, 25 first-down runs, 4 of his 20-or-more-yard rushes, and 2 touchdowns during fourth-quarter action.
  • Hunter is 4th in rushing average among SEC running backs by averaging 5.9 yards per tote.
  • As the 2023 season moves forward, Hunter is becoming Auburn’s clearcut bell cow running back. He has 86 rushes during SEC games for an average of 14.3 carries per contest. Further, Hunter is averaging 17 carries from the last three contests versus Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt.
  • Hunter has 4 red zone touchdown runs.
  • He has also scored at least one rushing touchdown in four of his last five SEC games.
  • In total, 6 of the 7 rushing touchdowns have come against SEC competition.
  • The Philadelphia (Miss.) Neshoba Central product is not just a runner either. Hunter has 10 receptions during the past four contests, including 3 for 54 yards versus the Rebels.

No doubt about it, Hunter is one of the SEC’s best running backs.

• Like 1

al.com

How a Tom Brady quote is helping Payton Thorne avoid complacency in Auburn’s QB room

Published: Nov. 06, 2023, 3:07 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Hugh Freeze on Auburn's bowl chances, trip to Arkansas

Last week Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne wore a shirt to issue his endorsement of Michael Jordan being the best player in the history of the NBA.

On Monday, he called seven-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady the “greatest player of all time.”

And it’s for that reason the junior Michigan State transfer quarterback has looked to Brady for inspiration as he enters the homestretch of his first season on The Plains.

“I’ve drawn back to something that Tom Brady said a while ago and I don’t know the exact quote, but he talked about, you know, he had won however many Super Bowls in his career, and he talked about how he still goes out and feels like he has something to prove every day and that his job is still up in the air,” Thorne said Monday.

Thorne turning to Brady’s quote comes after a whirlwind-of-a-season that’s seen him be named Auburn’s starter in August, be on the receiving end of plenty of criticism and share snaps with backup quarterback Robby Ashford – all before finally reasserting himself as Auburn’s starting quarterback these past two weeks.

And Thorne has settled in since cementing himself as the Tigers’ main guy.

“I’d be lying to you if I said it didn’t feel better,” Thorne said of not having to be a part of a two-man quarterback rotation with Ashford.

In Auburn’s last two games against Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, Thorne has graded well as the Tigers’ No. 1 quarterback.

Thorne has combined to go 37-of-53 through the air in his last two games, good for 424 yards, five touchdowns and an interception.

“I believe Payton’s skillsets are the most prepared for what we’re doing,” Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said Monday. “It’s not a negative towards anybody else, I think he’s — you talk about playing with tempo, setting our protections, throwing accuracy with footballs and understanding coverages, I think that he’s the farthest along in that.”

That said, as evident by him turning to Brady’s quote, Thorne isn’t getting too comfortable.

And based on some of Freeze’s comments on Monday morning, perhaps he shouldn’t.

After addressing what has led to Thorne becoming the lone keyholder of the Auburn offense, Freeze went on brief – but sudden and unprompted – rant about redshirt freshman quarterback Holden Geriner, who has long been regarded as the most “natural passer” in Auburn’s quarterback room.

“I think Holden had one heck of a week last week and he can really spin it,” Freeze said. “He’s probably one that — I think he’s got a bright future.”

Thorne said Monday that Geriner, who happens to be his roommate during road games, did receive a larger share of reps in practice last week. When asked what prompted that, however, Thorne deferred the question over to the coaching staff.

Given the results of the past two games, one would reasonably assume Thorne will be the guy under center for the Tigers moving forward.

But as Thorne puts it, if a guy like Brady always felt like he had something to prove and that his job was in jeopardy, why shouldn’t he?

“Why wouldn’t every player in the country have that same mindset?,” Thorne said. “So that’s my mindset every day going into practice and then obviously every game, too. You know just try to keep proving it, not only to your coach and your teammates, but to yourself too.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Thanks Fiddy. Another great day in the making here on the Plains. 

Time to start planning for game day. Love grilling but don’t care to mess with it on game day. Thinking fried chicken again. Anyone else around here want bbq they are welcome to the grill and charcoal. Been saddled twice this season with doing overnight Boston butts for tailgates. Close to worn out on game day from having to get up so early and fool with them. Love getting up early but not to mess with BBQ.

• Like 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn makes one change to depth chart for game against Arkansas

JD McCarthy
~4 minutes

Auburn is looking to pick up its third straight win and its second on the road when they face the Arkansas Razorbacks this Saturday.

The Tigers announced their depth chart for the game on Monday and there was just one change from last week’s edition, Austin Keys is now listed as the only starter at middle linebacker. He was listed as a co-starter with Larry Nixon III last week as he returned from injury.

Keys started and played 42 snaps in Auburn’s win over Vanderbilt, making three tackles, one sack and forcing one fumble. Nixon played 22 snaps and did not record a stat.

Here is a look at Auburn’s full depth chart.

USATSI_21758938.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: Payton Thorne

Backups: Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner

Auburn-Running-Back-Jarquez-Hunter-27_20

Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Jarquez Hunter

Backups: Damari Alston, Brian Battie, Jeremiah Cobb

USATSI_21820058.jpg

© Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

Starter: Rivaldo Fairweather OR Luke Deal

Backups: Tyler Fromm OR Brandon Frazier, Micah Riley

Auburn-Tight-End-Rivaldo-Fairweather-13-

Photo by Austin Perryman/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Jyaire Shorter OR Omari Kelly

Backup: Koy Moore

Auburn-Wide-Receiver-JaVarrius-Johnson-6

Starter: Jay Fair OR Ja’Varrius Johnson

Backup: Caleb Burton III

Auburn-Wide-Receiver-Shane-Hooks-3_20231

Starter: Shane Hooks

Backups: Camden Brown OR Nick Mardner

USATSI_21499317.jpg

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: Dillon Wade

Backup: Jaden Muskrat

USATSI_21499339.jpg

Starter: Gunner Britton

Backup: Tate Johnson

Lew75_20231021_FB_vsOleMiss_ZB_0303.jpeg

Zach Bland/Auburn Athletics

Starter: Avery Jones OR Connor Lew

USATSI_21499322.jpg

Starter: Kam Stutts

Backup: Jeremiah Wright OR Jalil Irvin

Auburn-Offensive-Lineman-Izavion-Miller-

Starter: Izavion Miller

Backup: Jaden Muskrat

Auburn-Defensive-Back-Caleb-Wooden-12-Au

Starter: Keldric Faulk

Backups: Zykevious Walker

Auburn_Defensive_Lineman_Justin_Rogers__

Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Justin Rogers

Backup: Jayson Jones

Auburn-Defensive-Lineman-Marcus-Harris-5

Starter: Marcus Harris

Backup: Lawrence Johnson

USATSI_21820110.jpg

© Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

Starter: Jalen McLeod

Backups: Elijah McAllister, Stephen Sings V

Auburn-Linebacker-Austin-Keys-6-and-Aubu

Starter: Austin Keys

Backups: Larry Nixon III, Wesley Steiner

USATSI_21759558.jpg

© Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

Starter: Eugene Asante

Backup: Cam Riley

USATSI_21759127.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: D.J. James

Backup: Kayin Lee OR Colton Hood

Auburn-Defensive-Back-Keionte-Scott-0_20

Starter: Keionte Scott

Backup: Donovan Kaufman, Champ Anthony

1775215583.jpg

(Photo by Johnnie Izquierdo/Getty Images)

Starter: Jaylin Simpson

Backup: Caleb Wooden, Griffin Speaks

1737966763.jpg

(Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Starter: Zion Puckett

Backups: Marquise Gilbert, Terrance Love

USATSI_21665752.jpg

Matthew Hinton-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: Nehemiah Pritchett

Backups: J.D. Rhym

Auburn-Cornerback-Keionte-Scott-0_202309

Starter: Keionte Scott OR Koy Moore

1640716681.jpg

(Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Starters: Brian Battie, Jarquez Hunter

USATSI_21487894.jpg

Punter: Oscar Chapman

Place Kicker: Alex McPherson

Holder: Oscar Chapman

Long Snapper: Reed Hughes OR Jacob Quattlebaum

• Like 1

al.com

Auburn’s offense used to lack swagger, but the Tigers have since found it. Here’s how

Updated: Nov. 07, 2023, 9:49 a.m.|Published: Nov. 07, 2023, 9:36 a.m.

5–7 minutes

Auburn’s first loss of the season came in an ugly showing on the road against Texas A&M.

While the Tigers’ offense had struggled two weeks prior against Cal, given all the oddities of that game, folks weren’t in a hurry to hit the panic button of any sorts.

But the loss to the Aggies on Sept. 23 forced head coach Hugh Freeze to be honest.

“Offensively, we’re searching,” Freeze said that Saturday afternoon in the media room of Texas A&M’s Kyle Field. “And we’ve gotta find answers.”

At the time, Auburn’s offense was searching for a lot – a solution to the weird quarterback situation, some kind of rhythm in the passing game, any type of identity as a whole and the list could go on and on.

But perhaps more than anything, the Auburn offense was left searching for swagger.

On the other side of the football, the Tigers’ defense had swagger. Whether it was in the team’s most vocal leader, Eugene Asante and his “Let’s work!” catchphrase, or it was Auburn’s defensive backs and their “turnover seatbelt”, the Auburn defense carried themselves with confidence.

“I think we’ve got to get more swagger on the offensive side,” Freeze said the Monday after the loss to the Aggies.

At the time, Freeze said veteran tight end Luke Deal was the Tigers’ leader on the offensive side of the football. Deal, who is in Year 5 in the SEC, has a firm grasp on how things can shake out as the season unfolds. As such, he’s able to maintain a positive attitude.

And as important as it is to have those optimistic leaders in a locker room – especially when a team is being faced with adversity – it doesn’t exactly replace having swagger. And Deal agreed.

“I think that’s going to be a big deal – just getting our swagger back,” Deal said Sept. 25 as the Tigers looked ahead to their matchup against No. 1 Georgia.

And that had to start with the quarterback spot.

Ironically, back in August, Deal mentioned the importance of having a quarterback with a bit of bravado.

“You always need a quarterback who’s got a little swagger in him,” Deal said.

For the longest time, the Tigers were set on using two quarterbacks in a funky rotation between junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne and sophomore Robby Ashford.

And between the rotation getting in the way of either quarterback getting into a rhythm on Saturdays and neither quarterback being able to feel secure in his role, the Tigers spent much of their season without a quarterback who had a “little swagger in him.”

But that quarterback rotation seems to finally have been squashed by Freeze, who has had Thorne take all but two offense snaps through the course of the last two games.

“I’d be lying to you if I said it didn’t feel better,” Thorne said Monday afternoon when asked how being Auburn’s main guy under center has helped his confidence.

Though Thorne’s growing confidence has been a key component to the Auburn offense’s success, it’s not a one-man show and he can’t be the only one to walk into a stadium with a bit of a prideful strut on any given Saturday.

Fortunately for Auburn, that hasn’t been the case.

“We played with some confidence and swagger last week, particularly the first half,” Freeze said Monday morning on the heels of Saturday’s 31-15 win over Vanderbilt.

The Auburn offense scored in two of its first three drives against Vanderbilt, with both touchdowns coming courtesy of running back Jarquez Hunter ripping off big runs against the Commodores. In the Tigers’ second play from scrimmage, Hunter scored from 67 yards out and then from 56 yards out in Auburn’s third drive.

And those kinds of plays certainly help an offense looking to play with a bit more swagger, Thorne says.

“Chunk plays, explosives — that gets you rolling and just if you want to look at the physical aspect of it, running down the field and chasing a big play, it gets your juices flowing a little bit,” Thorne said. “Playing with tempo, getting some big catches down the field and obviously Jarquez and the other guys getting some big runs, it definitely builds momentum — builds confidence.”

The week prior against Mississippi State, Auburn’s chunk plays on offense were courtesy of the Tigers’ passing game.

Thorne connected with Shane Hooks on a 27-yard touchdown in the first quarter, followed by a 45-yard touchdown pass to Ja’Varrius Johnson later in the first frame, helping Auburn put up 14 points in the first quarter.

“I don’t think anybody is going to connect on a deep pass and then be sad about it,” Thorne said following Auburn’s win over Mississippi State on Oct. 28. “It gets guys going and helps us gain momentum, which is good.”

Those big plays – whether through the air or on the ground – are a big part of his gameplan Freeze says.

While obviously having explosive plays have been a long-time predictor of offensive success, seeing how the Auburn offense has responded to them from a psychological perspective has been something Freeze has since considered.

“I think the more we are successful in doing that, the more confidence and swagger that our kids will play with,” Freeze said.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.