A win is a win, but

LPTiger

26 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I have complained repeatedly about our refusal to throw the ball on first down.   It has been an issue in every game until the first half yesterday.   In the first half, we attempted 8 passes on 1st down.   In 6 possessions we had 1 3 and out and scored 24 points.   The 1 3 and out was in large part due to us RUNNING the ball on 1st down at our on 13 for a 2 yard loss (the 2 yard loss kinda indicates State knew a run was coming -- the perfect time to throw) and then inexplicably running 9 out onto the field for 2nd and 12 from our 11.   It is difficult to think of another down, distance and field position scenario where running 9 out there, in this game, could have made less sense.   Of course, it was a qb run for 2 yards.    

In the second half we attempted exactly 1 pass on 1st down (a completion).   In 5 possessions in the second half, we had 3 3 and outs and scored 3 points.   In order for us, and most team's offense to be successful, you have to have balance.   Even an incompletion on 1st down forces the defense to respect the possibility.

This staff is smart enough to know these things so I can't explain away the first 6 games.   I do think we turtled in the second half for good reasons.   but it would have been nice to see at least one drive in the second half where we shoed balance and scored 1 more TD.

freeze said he was running the clock out.i would prefer he kept his foot on the gas myself.  i believe they do not have quality depth?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

freeze said he was running the clock out.i would prefer he kept his foot on the gas myself.  i believe they do not have quality depth?

What runs the clock more 9 plays and 3 punts and 0 points or having some sustained drives that might at least end in a FG?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I have complained repeatedly about our refusal to throw the ball on first down.   It has been an issue in every game until the first half yesterday.   In the first half, we attempted 8 passes on 1st down.   In 6 possessions we had 1 3 and out and scored 24 points.   The 1 3 and out was in large part due to us RUNNING the ball on 1st down at our on 13 for a 2 yard loss (the 2 yard loss kinda indicates State knew a run was coming -- the perfect time to throw) and then inexplicably running 9 out onto the field for 2nd and 12 from our 11.   It is difficult to think of another down, distance and field position scenario where running 9 out there, in this game, could have made less sense.   Of course, it was a qb run for 2 yards.    

In the second half we attempted exactly 1 pass on 1st down (a completion).   In 5 possessions in the second half, we had 3 3 and outs and scored 3 points.   In order for us, and most team's offense to be successful, you have to have balance.   Even an incompletion on 1st down forces the defense to respect the possibility.

This staff is smart enough to know these things so I can't explain away the first 6 games.   I do think we turtled in the second half for good reasons.   but it would have been nice to see at least one drive in the second half where we shoed balance and scored 1 more TD.

Eh, I agree wholeheartedly.

But I'm trying to just enjoy what is likely to be our only west win all year, and maybe half our SEC wins for the year.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What runs the clock more 9 plays and 3 punts and 0 points or having some sustained drives that might at least end in a FG?

freeze does tiger talk on thursday nights so why not call in and ask him?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

freeze does tiger talk on thursday nights so why not call in and ask him?

Okay, here's the 2nd person I know that has DM'd mods to get me kicked off the donor forum.

IDK why we can't just have a simple conversation, but that apparently is too difficult

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Okay, here's the 2nd person I know that has DM'd mods to get me kicked off the donor forum.

IDK why we can't just have a simple conversation, but that apparently is too difficult

whoa hoss.............i have never ever tried to get you banned. anyone in fact. and anyone says i did is a liar and they can come ask me anytime. i have a problem with you I deal with it. i am not big about getting people removed just because i do not like what they say sometimes.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Completely agree.  The 1st half looked so much different than what we've done recently.  Quick passes on 1st down.  We threw some slants.  We threw the ball over the middle a decent bit of the time.  We had decent route concepts that got guys open.  Tempo.  Defense was constantly unable to relentlessly attack.

After we kicked the FG and hit 27 on our opening drive, we didn't pass once the rest of the game on 1st down.  Seemed like we consistently ran into a stacked box.  Just felt way too early to completely shut down.  Going 3 straight 3 and outs clearly didn't help the defense at all.

It's a small nitpick in a game we won easily, but it's completely valid.  Hopefully the 1st half was a good step in the right direction.  We should easily be able to build on it vs Vandy then take care of a wounded pig at home.  I know @DAGis already predicting an Iron Bowl victory, but I'll be happy with 7-5 and hopefully 8 with a bowl game.  Continue to build the offense and and the year strong with some momentum into 24.  For the most part, coaches 1st year ones are really messy with some positives thrown in.  Hopefully we're starting to see some positives 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

whoa hoss.............i have never ever tried to get you banned. anyone in fact. and anyone says i did is a liar and they can come ask me anytime. i have a problem with you I deal with it. i am not big about getting people removed just because i do not like what they say sometimes.

Okay....I apologize.  I'll admit to being incorrect.  Hopefully the next time you call someone racist or calling someone racist, like you did to me, you'll back track when confronted with the facts

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Completely agree.  The 1st half looked so much different than what we've done recently.  Quick passes on 1st down.  We threw some slants.  We threw the ball over the middle a decent bit of the time.  We had decent route concepts that got guys open.  Tempo.  Defense was constantly unable to relentlessly attack.

After we kicked the FG and hit 27 on our opening drive, we didn't pass once the rest of the game on 1st down.  Seemed like we consistently ran into a stacked box.  Just felt way too early to completely shut down.  Going 3 straight 3 and outs clearly didn't help the defense at all.

It's a small nitpick in a game we won easily, but it's completely valid.  Hopefully the 1st half was a good step in the right direction.  We should easily be able to build on it vs Vandy then take care of a wounded pig at home.  I know @DAGis already predicting an Iron Bowl victory, but I'll be happy with 7-5 and hopefully 8 with a bowl game.  Continue to build the offense and and the year strong with some momentum into 24.  For the most part, coaches 1st year ones are really messy with some positives thrown in.  Hopefully we're starting to see some positives 

Can’t even fathom thinking about Bama until we play four full complete quarters. Coaching staff turtled up in the second half. With that said, I feel good about Arkansas now and our fellow cupcake game. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

You guys don’t see eye to eye on things but that is okay, you both enjoy auburn football and WDE has thrown up the white flag now a couple of times. Let’s go a little bit easier on him now, is my suggestion. Appreciate you not being one of the people who insist on getting people removed because you don’t agree with him. I commend you for that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Clemson is missing a fan.

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Okay....I apologize.  I'll admit to being incorrect.  Hopefully the next time you call someone racist or calling someone racist, like you did to me, you'll back track when confronted with the facts

can you come over halloween night and scare the kids? just come as you are.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You guys don’t see eye to eye on things but that is okay, you both enjoy auburn football and WDE has thrown up the white flag now a couple of times. Let’s go a little bit easier on him now, is my suggestion. Appreciate you not being one of the people who insist on getting people removed because you don’t agree with him. I commend you for that. 

i have been time outed many times and almost banned. red admitted it. i do not dislike wed. he brings a lot. but he almost always gets into it with someone and it gets old. so yeah i take a shot at him on occasion. a lot of times it is not what wed says but how he says it. but lets be clear.i am crazy and unhinged and other assorted goodies so this is not one sided. those were his words.........................but i will try to do better.

• Thanks 1

This felt like a prototypical Malzahn win.  Purposely just enough offense to stay ahead.  This is why he lost so many games he should have won.  When he won the big games, he kept his foot on the pedal until the end.  And that's what the Top 10 teams are doing every week.  I had hoped that Freeze would come in with this attitude, and I understand he has some lack of confidence in Thorne and the receivers.  But, he's going to have to start pushing this offense all game long if he wants to have a chance for SEC road wins and the Iron Bowl.  Malzahn didn't have back then, and Freeze doesn't have now, an OL good enough to just to run the clock out when up by a few TDs...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

he almost always gets into it with someone

This is a message board.  People have different opinions.  It's not "getting into it", it's having a conversation. 

like when you argue with the owner? mods? it happens all the time and people complain. you can ignore it all you want. i just do not care to discuss slowing the game down or keeping the hammer down. that is not why i come here.

10 minutes ago, rexbo said:

This felt like a prototypical Malzahn win.  Purposely just enough offense to stay ahead.  This is why he lost so many games he should have won.  When he won the big games, he kept his foot on the pedal until the end.  And that's what the Top 10 teams are doing every week.  I had hoped that Freeze would come in with this attitude, and I understand he has some lack of confidence in Thorne and the receivers.  But, he's going to have to start pushing this offense all game long if he wants to have a chance for SEC road wins and the Iron Bowl.  Malzahn didn't have back then, and Freeze doesn't have now, an OL good enough to just to run the clock out when up by a few TDs...

i agree! you could not drive a tack up my rear end in the second half because i kept thinking we are going to give it away. i would have prefered another td.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Speaking of Clemson , what the hell happened to them?!

Dabo refuses to adapt.  Relied on great coordinators that carried him and are now gone.  Went from being able to buy players under the table to openly being against them getting any legal payments.  Is heavily against NIL and only believes in the "Name Image and Likeness of Jesus Christ".  Will not recruit kids in the portal. 

All of that leads to poor coaching with shrinking talent on their roster.  Their talent used to be elite across the board to go with 2-3 elite QBs.  Now it's just average with average QBs.

He would have been an absolute disaster if he came to Auburn vs Hugh.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Dabo refuses to adapt.  Relied on great coordinators that carried him and are now gone.  Went from being able to buy players under the table to openly being against them getting any legal payments.  Is heavily against NIL and only believes in the "Name Image and Likeness of Jesus Christ".  Will not recruit kids in the portal. 

All of that leads to poor coaching with shrinking talent on their roster.  Their talent used to be elite across the board to go with 2-3 elite QBs.  Now it's just average with average QBs.

Also seems he has been missing on coordinators as well.

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe you're 100% right. Maybe only partly correct. I have Clemson grads in our family. They aren't happy with the season, but they think that Dabo has already changed and they are contributing to their NIL. They think he'll turn it around soon and aren't talking about firing him. We'll see.

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

Speaking of Clemson , what the hell happened to them?!

He had a great run of NFL caliber QBs plus the ACC powers like FSU were down. Plus his failure to embrace NIL and the portal. Clemson is still on solid ground but he’s got a lot of work ahead of him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:
55 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He had a great run of NFL caliber QBs plus the ACC powers like FSU were down. 

Relied on great coordinators that carried him and are now gone.   

Venables was there for 10 years as the D coordinator.  Elliott was Oc for 7 and Rb coach for 4 years prior.   That created a lot of stability and those guys recruited well.   NFL QB's make every coach look smarter.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I have an issue starting to try and run clock at the start of the 4th…when you had one offensive possession in the 3rd…with a team that is still trying to establish an identity…in a game that only ended up two scores apart (and could have easily been one).  

The depth issue doesn’t hold water when they had the one possession in the 3rd and had a quick three and out next time out.  

I think of coach speak as the words coming out of a political these days, I don’t believe a word of it.  As long as they can blame talent level and depth, they will. Especially at these early stages. 

• Like 1