Is it a bad look that we always fire coordinators?

TeamZero77

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

If we let OC go. He will be owed his full contract.

I was focused on the DC part of Bird's post you quoted. Had no idea you were talking about OC. I don't care how much it costs to let him go. Fix the problem by letting him go.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I was focused on the DC part of Bird's post you quoted. Had no idea you were talking about OC. I don't care how much it costs to let him go. Fix the problem by letting him go.

LOL.  U don't care cause it ain't your money gotta be forked over to pay him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Freeze needs to catch a break, and he also needs to help himself. If the next four games are train wrecks, all bets are off. As of right now, recruiting is his only plus. If that class breaks, this place is going to go ballistic. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

Freeze needs to catch a break, and he also needs to help himself. If the next four games are train wrecks, all bets are off. As of right now, recruiting is his only plus. If that class breaks, this place is going to go ballistic. 

Yep. A 2012 offense with a busted recruiting class won’t play well. We should make a bowl, though, IMO, unless the rails come off.

15 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Do y'all think the ultimate problem is beyond coaching staffs or talent and may be how the program is ran as a whole? And why can we never get an OC to work? This spans multiple head coaches....It's got to be from higher up I think.

All evidence points to your underlying theory.  Look at Mike Bobo.  Everyone complained about him for the entire time he was calling plays here.  Now he's at Georgia and calls an entirely different type of game.  And you're right, that's just one example...it happens like that over and over and over and over and over.

The only thing that keeps me from going all in on that theory is that I can't figure out exactly what someone "higher up" would do that would dictate how our football OC did his job.  Does Bobby Lowder meet the HC in a dark parking garage and whisper hoarsely, "Make sure everyone in the stadium knows what you're about to call...that's how we do things here at Auburn and it would be a shame if you didn't get with the program."

How does the "meddling" theory look, exactly?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Precisely 

I love it when people complain about spending other people's money. 

It's not yours, it's not mine.  We shouldn't have any say in how they want to spend their money.  If they feel they can afford it, great. If they feel they can't, then they won't.  Our feelings don't matter one way or the other about it. 

The risk in keeping the OC outweighs the money we're gonna give him.  It's a simple cost analysis. We can't afford to keep the OC. 

JMO 

You’re not wrong but it does seem easy to dismiss it as cost of doing business. There’s also a price to pay for bad decisions that has gone beyond the bank accounts. Would love to see a comparison of the money Auburn had spent making poor coaches go away versus what it would have cost to have gone all in on some of the names mentioned in the past (and I’m not talking about Lane over Freeze because we win that lottery). 

• Like 2

Is it a bad look that we always fire coordinators?

It's more of a bad look that we keep hiring coordinators that under perform.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Precisely 

I love it when people complain about spending other people's money. 

It's not yours, it's not mine.  We shouldn't have any say in how they want to spend their money.  If they feel they can afford it, great. If they feel they can't, then they won't.  Our feelings don't matter one way or the other about it. 

The risk in keeping the OC outweighs the money we're gonna give him.  It's a simple cost analysis. We can't afford to keep the OC. 

JMO 

"The risk outweighs the money we're gonna give him". How much are you ponying up?

I dont care one way or the other. He goes, he goes. He dont, he dont. But, u can't just keep paying people to go away. AU been doing that for 15 yrs. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I love it when cats get on here and hire and fire coaches with other people's 💰 

What I love even more is based on if they like the coach or not determines if it's a big deal.

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What I love even more is based on if they like the coach or not determines if it's a big deal.

$21.7 million - Big Deal

$15.575 million - Big Deal 

$2.45 million - NOT a Big Deal 

I don't see why one's coaching preferences affects the ability to distinguish between a "big deal"

• Like 4

I think it's too early to think about firing coordinators. Lets give them a chance and see what they can do with improved personnel to work with. Freeze didn't hire Montgomery with a 2 million+ buyout while not knowing a good deal about his abilities. Freeze thought Montgomery was a solid man for the job. Freeze and his assistants need time to have a fair chance to show what they can do. As of now they haven't had a fair chance.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

$21.7 million - Big Deal

$15.575 million - Big Deal 

$2.45 million - NOT a Big Deal 

I don't see why one's coaching preferences affects the ability to distinguish between a "big deal"

It would be a bigger deal to see what 2.45 million would get us in a quarterback and a couple of receivers, give Monty one of those newly created off field jobs and have Hugh take over the offense again. 

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

LOL.  U don't care cause it ain't your money gotta be forked over to pay him.

@NWALA Tiger The people who have the money to pay usually would pay that off fairly easily to fix a problem.

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think it's too early to think about firing coordinators. Lets give them a chance and see what they can do with improved personnel to work with. Freeze didn't hire Montgomery with a 2 million+ buyout while not knowing a good deal about his abilities. Freeze thought Montgomery was a solid man for the job. Freeze and his assistants need time to have a fair chance to show what they can do. As of now they haven't had a fair chance.

We have our worst offense in 40 years and its not by a close margin.  The passing offense is even bad for Auburn.  It's like a 1st year coach going 0-17 in the NFL.  Doesn't matter, you sucked so bad you're getting fired.

I'm not saying Montgomery should be kept or fired. But, how do u insiders know that it's all his fault. Who is calling for QBs to be switched out? Who is calling the plays when Ashford is in,? Who approves the gameplan each week? Who is dabbling in the play calling every week? Who makes the decision to not run tempo? If they wanna fire the cat, ok fine. But don't make him out to be the only problem and firing him alone will fix all the problems.  This reeks of a Gus scenario to me. He calls the plays, he don't call the plays...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not saying Montgomery should be kept or fired. But, how do u insiders know that it's all his fault. Who is calling for QBs to be switched out? Who is calling the plays when Ashford is in,? Who approves the gameplan each week? Who is dabbling in the play calling every week? Who makes the decision to not run tempo? If they wanna fire the cat, ok fine. But don't make him out to be the only problem and firing him alone will fix all the problems.  This reeks of a Gus scenario to me. He calls the plays, he don't call the plays...

I'm onboard, but most would be against firing Hugh

3 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

All evidence points to your underlying theory.  Look at Mike Bobo.  Everyone complained about him for the entire time he was calling plays here.  Now he's at Georgia and calls an entirely different type of game.  And you're right, that's just one example...it happens like that over and over and over and over and over.

The only thing that keeps me from going all in on that theory is that I can't figure out exactly what someone "higher up" would do that would dictate how our football OC did his job.  Does Bobby Lowder meet the HC in a dark parking garage and whisper hoarsely, "Make sure everyone in the stadium knows what you're about to call...that's how we do things here at Auburn and it would be a shame if you didn't get with the program."

How does the "meddling" theory look, exactly?

Fans always want to blame the coaches or the administration or meddling by the trustees, or whatever. Seems like AU has proven that's not the cause of the problem. We've had many different coaches and many different administrators, all who have previously done well and have gone on to do very well, but have had the same abysmal results at AU.

So what is the one thing that we don't generally blame? Players! Yes, it's hard to lay fault on the young kids, who are trying their best. But the reality is that most of the coaches we've had are very successful when they are guiding and working with good talent. But none of them can make a sows ear into a silk purse. Many of the coaches, like Gus have been very successful at AU when they had good talent, only to look completely inept when there is no talent.

The only hope of a way out is to do EXACTLY what CHF is doing! Go all in to recruit better players! It's the one thing we haven't done for years!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The only caveat to this in my mind is they have to figure out a way to work together. If there is someone that is an obvious problem for the group it must be dealt with. But I definitely agree not to jump due to poor results so far.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

The one thing I can't get a grasp on, is that these OC hires that are made are based on a body of work that the OC should have some of success to even be hired in the first place.  What has happened to all these coaches that they just can't find any success at AU and need to be fired one year later?  It's like a dude that's been married and divorced 5 times because he can't find the right wife.  Look in the mirror.

21 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

If the rumors are true, we will probably be moving on from our coordinators at the end of this season. So I went back to 2018 and we've had a different OC every year since then. Since 2018 we've had Chip Lindsay, Kenny Dillingham, Chad Morris, Mike Bobo, Eric Kiesau, Will Friend as interim OC and now Phillip Montgomery. So if we fire Monty, next year will be our 8th different OC in 7 years.

On defense, Kevin Steele was great, imo. Hell, Saban has him as his DC now for the 2nd time. Steele recruited well and was the reason we were always in ballgames for 4 quarters. He was here 5 years then Derek Mason, Jeff Schmedding and now Roberts. Btw, I don't think Ron Roberts should be fired. If not for his defense,  this team would look like a D-III team. 

During all of these changes, we are on our 3rd HC but it's still alot of the same problems we've always had and even worse now in alot of areas.

So 2 questions: Do y'all think the ultimate problem is beyond coaching staffs or talent and may be how the program is ran as a whole? And why can we never get an OC to work? This spans multiple head coaches. It has to effect recruiting decisions by alot of these kids. 

When you really look back several years and how many coaches leave or get fired and players leave in the portal, it looks like we are in a Nebraska, Texas, Tennessee like mess. It's got to be from higher up I think.

It's just money and we like to set it on fire and smell it burn apparently. 💰🔥

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, fishepa said:

The one thing I can't get a grasp on, is that these OC hires that are made are based on a body of work that the OC should have some of success to even be hired in the first place.  What has happened to all these coaches that they just can't find any success at AU and need to be fired one year later?  It's like a dude that's been married and divorced 5 times because he can't find the right wife.  Look in the mirror.

I just don’t think you can include the Malzahn years as OC’s that failed. Most of his hires was to dip down into lower level coaches that was going to accept the job due to progress in their career, but was hog tied by the Malzahn scheme that he would never move away from.