Why is Montgomery the OC? And will he be back?

AURex

On 10/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, W.E.D said:

Hugh should've taken a peak at the Montgomery offensive ineptitude at Tulsa before he did that.

We'll see how it ends up after December, but at the moment it looks like a large failure in building his initial staff.  Either he couldn't get the guys he wanted or the guys he wanted were bad.  I'm sure he pitched his ideal OC/DC in his interviews.

We pay well and Monty/Roberts are looking at ~$5mm in buyouts (with offsets) so they'll be compensated and we'll just continue to light money on fire.  Hope the next round is better and we don't flounder making the hire. 

You mean the auburn coaching cycle? 

💰🔥💸🧨

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

If you assume offense should match 2022 why wouldn’t you assume defense would also. Actually makes no sense to me to bring in 2022 game at all for either side (offense or defense).

Basically we are talking about some form of competence . That’s been the theme. Bad as last year team was it made sense. Seven games in does the team have any identity.

If u want to talk defense they have more take aways than last years team in which they have given the offense more opportunities to have a pulse.  Was last years team  considered bad or not . If u consider the offense has made minimal upgrades should there not be some concept with an offensive minded coach. Guess that’s asking to much

21 hours ago, e808 said:

Basically we are talking about some form of competence . That’s been the theme. Bad as last year team was it made sense. Seven games in does the team have any identity.

If u want to talk defense they have more take aways than last years team in which they have given the offense more opportunities to have a pulse.  Was last years team  considered bad or not . If u consider the offense has made minimal upgrades should there not be some concept with an offensive minded coach. Guess that’s asking to much

My belief is that if we had a playmaker at QB (LSU) for example, we would look alot like LSU.

TLDR on all the comments. So I’ll just give me 2 cents. 

This roster has been decimated by 2 years of absolutely horrid recruiting and a few more of slightly underwhelming recruiting. Play calling hasn’t been great. But there isn’t an easy answer with the roster in the shape it’s in. For those of you that haven’t liked the play calling, what would you do different? TBH… I’m lost. We have no offensive line and no receiving talent. You can’t win with a one dimensional offense and spotty run blocking regardless of who is at QB and what plays you call. 

I think Montgomery does get another year. The coach that I think is on the hot seat is Marcus Davis. We brought in receivers that have tools to be threats. They haven’t been… not even a little bit. I don’t know if they were just busts or if it is coaching. But nobody is scared of our wide receiver room.

23 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

TLDR on all the comments. So I’ll just give me 2 cents. 

This roster has been decimated by 2 years of absolutely horrid recruiting and a few more of slightly underwhelming recruiting. Play calling hasn’t been great. But there isn’t an easy answer with the roster in the shape it’s in. For those of you that haven’t liked the play calling, what would you do different? TBH… I’m lost. We have no offensive line and no receiving talent. You can’t win with a one dimensional offense and spotty run blocking regardless of who is at QB and what plays you call. 

I think Montgomery does get another year. The coach that I think is on the hot seat is Marcus Davis. We brought in receivers that have tools to be threats. They haven’t been… not even a little bit. I don’t know if they were just busts or if it is coaching. But nobody is scared of our wide receiver room.

I will respectfully disagree about the O line.  They are improved from last year.  Some of their struggles are due to the theory (not willing to call it a fact yet) that we have no offensive identity.  We don’t give up many sacks.  Our run game is not awful considering everyone knows  what’s coming.  

As far as receivers, if only we had someone like Ike Hilliard coaching them…

• Like 2
  • Sad 1