Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

There sure better be. I'm not completely ready to give up on Hugh, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing as far as offensive scheme, and play selection. No excuse for not being able to put together a half way decent passing game. Lesser talented teams have been using it as an equalizer against much more talented teams for years now. I've seen many directional schools come into Auburn when we were actually a good football team, and throw it all over the yard on us. There's virtually no excuse for 46 yards passing regardless of talent differential. None. 

I've watched Freeze for years both at Ole Miss and at Liberty.  I watched him take a QB Gus couldn't make look even halfway competent and win 10 games with him, beating Power 5 teams on the road and getting that QB drafted in the 3rd round.  This is an outlier.  There's no way I've given up on Hugh 7 games into a big rebuild in the toughest league in the country.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've watched Freeze for years both at Ole Miss and at Liberty.  I watched him take a QB Gus couldn't make look even halfway competent and win 10 games with him, beating Power 5 teams on the road and getting that QB drafted in the 3rd round.  This is an outlier.  There's no way I've given up on Hugh 7 games into a big rebuild in the toughest league in the country.

i'm still there with you on this. however, there is no explanation as to why the play calling doesn't include more short distance pasees which were hitting and moving the ball. Did freeze really think we would just run it down their throats while they stacked the line.

I'm looking at Perry Thompson and Bryce Cain and trying to imagine how they aren't starting game one next year.  If we somehow flip Cam Coleman or Ryan Williams, same with them.  This WR room has been that big of a disappointment.

• Like 3

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm looking at Perry Thompson and Bryce Cain and trying to imagine how they aren't starting game one next year.  If we somehow flip Cam Coleman or Ryan Williams, same with them.  This WR room has been that big of a disappointment.

The "skill" positions are easier for true freshmen, so I'll take it.

Just now, shabby said:

i'm still there with you on this. however, there is no explanation as to why the play calling doesn't include more short distance pasees which were hitting and moving the ball. Did freeze really think we would just run it down their throats while they stacked the line.

They were only hitting and moving the ball at the end when Ole Miss went into soft zone coverage to force us to burn clock moving the ball and giving us the short stuff.  Before that, those throws weren't there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've watched him as well, and was happy to get him. That being said, this first season offense is a complete disaster, and I'm not buying it's all on talent deficiency. The Montgomery- Freeze hybrid ain't working, and Hugh best get it fixed before next season is all I'm saying because this is beyond pitiful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Respectfully even when he had the better recruiting class he still lost to Gus. Maybe he turns it around or maybe he doesn’t. IMO the offense shouldn’t look this bad . Instead of the musical chairs panning out it’s getting worse . He refuses to let either QB finish drives. Don’t even attempt to throw the ball. It’s like why are they even practicing. Not they do in the game makes sense. It’s like stick your finger in the air let’s see if this works

• Like 1

This team has talent. Not top level SEC talent but enough talent to be much more competitive and have a winning season.

Our offensive game plans and in-game coaching SUCK! I don't know when I have seen it this bad.

The only thing that's missing from our terrible offense is a play that uses the legendary Whirly Bird! 

So when Freeze gets 'his' guys on the team, he'll start developing like he's credited with doing in his first year at other schools. Check.

I'm not saying I don't think Freeze can have some success at Auburn. But I am saying that the leader can't delegate responsibility. While HE is not consistently putting all blame on the players like some forum fans, he and his staff do not evidence coaching and motivating that would improve their experience at Auburn and their lots in life. Very strange that some imply, 'that's okay, next year he'll start tending to on-field duties," all the while defending his hire from the standpoint of what he did in his first year at other new schools. Hunh?. I think all we can say is that we are Auburn, where there are always more questions than answers in the football department.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just remember that everybody has a “sell by” date. Maybe he turns it around. Maybe he doesn’t. But talent didn’t cost us the game tonight or UGA - poor coaching did. At some point, selling the “Vision” takes showing the vision in action. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AU120289 said:

Just remember that everybody has a “sell by” date. Maybe he turns it around. Maybe he doesn’t. But talent didn’t cost us the game tonight or UGA - poor coaching did. At some point, selling the “Vision” takes showing the vision in action. 

well said

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully even when he had the better recruiting class he still lost to Gus. Maybe he turns it around or maybe he doesn’t. IMO the offense shouldn’t look this bad . Instead of the musical chairs panning out it’s getting worse . He refuses to let either QB finish drives. Don’t even attempt to throw the ball. It’s like why are they even practicing. Not they do in the game makes sense. It’s like stick your finger in the air let’s see if this works

Respectfully, the years he had a better recruiting class than Gus, it was just barely.  Freeze was at Ole Miss from 2012 to 2016.

Recruiting Rankings 2012-2016

Auburn 11th
Ole Miss 48th

Auburn 10th
Ole Miss 8th

Auburn 6th
Ole Miss 15th

Auburn 8th
Ole Miss 17th

Auburn 9th
Ole Miss 5th

He went 1-3 vs Gus during that stretch, 2-3 overall.

I agree it looks like we're at a loss and trying to figure out what works because nothing is working consistently.  Neither QB consistently moves the ball.  Neither is good in the passing game.  None of the WRs is performing.  It's frustrating.  But I don't think he got to Auburn and suddenly forgot offense.  His track record says this is a distinct outlier.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

No sane fanbase or institution thinks the "sell by" date is anywhere close to 7 games in after what we've watched the last 4 years in Auburn.

• Like 3

Including the OM soft defense drive, the WRs had 37 total yards. That’s impossible.  This is about way more than upgrading talent.

image.thumb.png.5a88e0bc868336a8c6393425ecb20fa0.png

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I just don't think anyone (who would take this job) can do it if Freeze can't.

Riiiiight. Auburn's never had a successful football coach and if Hugh Freeze can't do it, nobody ever will.

31 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They were only hitting and moving the ball at the end when Ole Miss went into soft zone coverage to force us to burn clock moving the ball and giving us the short stuff.  Before that, those throws weren't there.

Hard to say those throws weren't there when they never even tried to pass to see if they were there, run run run and then pass on third downs when Ole Miss knew we were going to pass and blitz the passer...I mean thats pretty much what they did all night. Would love to see the stats, maybe I will start keeping track in game but would love to see how many pass attempts were made on first or second down...pretty sure it was pretty small number.

I hope he can turn things around but right now its not all on the players, coaches have to put them in the best position to make plays and the coaching staff is just not doing that so far this year and its painful to watch.

Edited by bishoptf

38 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think it's ONLY the players.  But experienced, talented WRs can overcome subpar WR position coaching - which is what we appeared to have signed in guys like Mardner, Hooks, Shorter, and so on.  They can at least show some flash of ability.  These guys have show next to nothing.  Fairweather has and that's about it.

You're sweeping the entire board to try to excuse Freeze of any responsibility. 

Who recruited and signed Mardner, Hooks, and Shorter? I'm sure if I looked it up, you praised Freeze for signing these guys. 

And are we really blaming the WR coach again? You don't see how we are repeating the same cycle?

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He improved Liberty from 4 straight 6 win seasons to go 8-5 in his first year there.  It was only their 2nd year in FBS and 4 of the 5 losses were to teams in Power 5 conferences.

They went 10-1 the next year beating Syracuse and Va Tech on the road and losing by one to a ranked NC State (also on the road).  

They had to replace a QB who got drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft the following season and went 8-5.  Two of those came on the road at Syracuse and at Ole Miss, both very competitive losses.

Then his last season they went 8-5 and had were down to their 3rd and 4th string QBs most of the year.  Still beat Arkansas on the road and had two one-point losses on the road to Power 5 teams.  

Whatever you wish to critique about Freeze, trying to pooh pooh his record at Liberty aint it.

I think he's shocked.  I think he was shocked at the talent pool he inherited and I think he's surprised more of the transfer kids haven't stepped up.  He's probably not happy with some of the position coaches either.  I don't think it's as simple as just saying "adapt."

Because the defense wasn't that bad under Harsin overall.  It played quite well at times in fact (see Iron Bowl, 2021).  The offense has been a problem for a good while now, even preceding Harsin and only got worse while he was here.

Not all of them.  Fairweather is a find.  The OL is better than in recent years.  Not elite or anything but better and has more depth.  Battie has been pretty good.  But none of the WRs and the QB we brought in have done much of anything.

We agree that Freeze's record is much better than the personal things I am intentionally not saying about him. And the inherent risk that brings to the university. 

But cool, he got Liberty from 6 to 8 wins in his first season. 

He had a very good 10 win season. 

And then a couple 8 win seasons. In one season, his first 2 QB's got hurt, like we already said.

He lost his last 4 games at Liberty against powerhouses 6-7 UConn, 3-8 VA Tech, 7-6 New Mexico State, and 9-5 Toledo. 

I'm sorry he's shocked by the roster or the performance of the players we praised him for bringing in. Or the coaches he hired, with the rare alignment and autonomy for the HC that we've all been told about. It's a hard job. Maybe it's time to work on the evaluation skills. 

• Like 2

I will say this; our defense is the only reason we've even been in these games and they've played their asses off while having a ton of injuries at key positions. And if it's to be believed, our DC Ron Roberts will be the first coach on the chopping block at seasons end.

Talk about some bass ackwards stuff. If any coaches job should be in jeopardy, it should start on the offensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

We got a little better on OL, got Fairweather, and none of the other pieces have turned out.  The WRs give our QBs zero help either in fighting for 50/50 balls, getting separation consistently, or even just catching balls that hit them in the hands.  And neither QB consistently makes the correct reads.  Just lots of whiffs on that side of the ball that admittedly I didn't see coming.  Guys like Shorter, Mardner, Hooks and such ought to be better but they aren't.  Thorne should be better but he isn't.  Robby still can't hit water from the beach.  I don't know what to tell you but on paper, these transfer guys should be better than they are.

Same, but I don’t understand why.

Passing offense is atrocious. There is no way anyone can spin that. You cannot feasibly hope to overcome that against any team with a pulse. 

• Like 2

My prediction is that a month from now we will be 7-4 and everything won’t feel as hopeless as it does now. I bet at least 80% of this board preseason had us winning 6 or 7 games at most and that’s where we’re headed. The passing game is a complete debacle but the defense is playing hard and the players are still in the fight. We’re struggling during a major rebuild about like Norvell and Kiffin struggled their first year of major rebuilds. I’m frustrated too but let’s see how we close down the stretch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

We agree that Freeze's record is much better than the personal things I am intentionally not saying about him. And the inherent risk that brings to the university. 

But cool, he got Liberty from 6 to 8 wins in his first season. 

He had a very good 10 win season. 

And then a couple 8 win seasons. In one season, his first 2 QB's got hurt, like we already said.

He lost his last 4 games at Liberty against powerhouses 6-7 UConn, 3-8 VA Tech, 7-6 New Mexico State, and 9-5 Toledo. 

I'm sorry he's shocked by the roster or the performance of the players we praised him for bringing in. Or the coaches he hired, with the rare alignment and autonomy for the HC that we've all been told about. It's a hard job. Maybe it's time to work on the evaluation skills. 

Those losses kinda fit Freeze's career of winning big games and immediately losing to cupcakes.

Last year he beat BYU and Arkansas back to back. Then he immediately loses to UConn as a big favorite, then lost to a terrible Va Tech team, then lost 49-14 to New Mexico State and then lost to Toledo. 

But when it gets mentioned our fans say that "he was focused on this Auburn job and it distracted his team in those games."

But when Kiffin lost those games while he was in talks with Auburn, it's because he sucked as a coach. Then turn around and give Hugh a pass for the same exact thing. Smh

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Riiiiight. Auburn's never had a successful football coach and if Hugh Freeze can't do it, nobody ever will.

We said that about basketball also, several years ago. I will agree, coaching on the offensive side of the ball, seems to be lacking, along with talent. But to say Freeze will never win because of this season, is a-little like worshiping Disney’s Eeyore as your God. Way too early to tell.

Oh gee, we will never have a coach, and we’ve never had a coach, that’s just the way it is.

I try to be positive.   I really do.    After OM's first 2 drives, our defense had given up 6 straight touchdown drives.   That feat may have never been accomplished at AU.  They played much better in the second half.   But in JHS at night no Auburn team gives up back to back TD's to start a game against Ole Miss.  The D was very fortunate on the INT as Dart's receiver had a step on Kaufman and Dart threw the ball behind him.   That should have been a completion to about our 25.   We then force a punt.  But the next drive they drive the field and fortunately the holder can't get the snap down on the FG.  Our D was very fortunate to be tied at the half.

Our O, well it was historically bad.   After our short field TD following the int, we had 7 possessions that combined for 30 total yards.  We had 5 3 and outs, 1 1 and out (Ashford's pick on the post) and one 5 and out.   7 possessions, 21 plays and 30 yards.   Against Ole Miss's defense.

Coaching -- If we are going to throw the post into 2 high safety coverage can we pretty please with sugar on it throw it to someone who is taller than 5'8".   We have about 4 of them and the safety probably would not have been able to knock them to the ground.   On the 3rd and a half yard, bring in Thorne and get called for 12 men in the huddle, why are you making that QB change there.   It literally makes no sense.    There is a reason that no other team in the country is running a "2 QB system."   For every nice run Robby makes, he has another where he makes the wrong read -- see tonight on 4th and 1.   On the pass plays they do allow him to run, who he is throwing to is predetermined.   The coaches have zero confidence in him seeing the field and selecting a receiver. 

Even though we are at a talent disadvantage, you would expect a good staff would improve the team in some areas.  I don't see one where we have improved.  What we are doing offensively is simply not working.   CHF is bullheadingly pursuing this two headed monster QB system when it is not working.

This is the first time since 1952 that we have lost 2 in a row to OM.   2 in a row to LK.

Nevertheless, we are where we are and where we have been for the last 5 years.   Hopefully, we beat State next week....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1