Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

I am a huge Freeze fan and have not given up on him , but hate when Our fans blindly support a coach. Years down the line those fans start to be horrible to that coach. Seen it with Chizik, Gus, Harsin and I am sure I will see it with freeze too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Passing offense is atrocious. There is no way anyone can spin that. You cannot feasibly hope to overcome that against any team with a pulse. 

@DAG how do we know, before the last drive, we had attempted 6 passes? 6 pass attempts with 4 5 star receiver recruits watching.

Just now, LPTiger said:

@DAG how do we know, before the last drive, we had attempted 6 passes? 6 pass attempts with 4 5 star receiver recruits watching.

Exactly , how do you spin that? I am glad they have great relationships with this recruits and hopefully promising them future early PT. Heck Freeze is basically stating this. 

• Like 1

And I am telling you , next year when we get new recruiters , it will be Liberty guys (fine with me) but some of y’all crying about the potato gang and history will be repeating itself , then some of y’all will excuse it. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I've watched Freeze for years both at Ole Miss and at Liberty.  I watched him take a QB Gus couldn't make look even halfway competent and win 10 games with him, beating Power 5 teams on the road and getting that QB drafted in the 3rd round.  This is an outlier.  There's no way I've given up on Hugh 7 games into a big rebuild in the toughest league in the country.

Malik is the outlier. Who, by the way, has no idea how to play QB at the NFL level. 

• Like 1

I think we have managed to destroy Thorne's confidence.   In 25 games at Mich St, he threw for 5,900 yards.   I know Coleman is awesome blah, blah, blah, but the guy still threw for more than 3.5 miles.  Here after 7 games he is sitting at 600 yards.  We obviously have talent problems but playing 10 receivers and 2 QB's simply hasn't worked.   Some guys strive by being told the guy behind you is nipping at your heels and you haven't won anything.   Others strive when they are told its your job go do your best.   In hindsight, I think Thorne falls into the latter category.   Better days ahead....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

hopefully promising them future early PT

Any 4-5* recruit sees the potential for early PT on offense, at all positions.  The only questions would be "will these coaches be here 2 years from now", and "can they develop me into an NFL player"?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Any 4-5* recruit sees the potential for early PT on offense, at all positions.  The only questions would be "will these coaches be here 2 years from now", and "can they develop me into an NFL player"?

Playing time is great but most 4-5*s will get that at msu, arky, or USCe.  The other point is that losing stinks - and they’d rather not spend their entire college career doing it. We have to show a winning potential - or a least coach em up improvement - tonight was a major set back.

Edited by auburnatl1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Plating time is great but most 4-5*s will get that at msu, arky, or USCe.  The other point is that losing stinks - and they’d rather not spend their entire college career doing it. We have to show a winning potential - or a least coach em up improvement - tonight was a major set back.

Aaaaaand with better talent in the passing game, we could've def won Georgia and tonight. 

Edited by AUwent

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Aaaaaand with better talent in the passing game, we could've def won Georgia and tonight. 

I love your optimism. And playing at home.

I mean how in the world do you sell this to recruits?   There’s no proof of concept here with the offense. How do you sell a recruit on “if we just plug you in we’ll be better” when the entire offensive scheme is a dog eating turds and puking it back up?  

24 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

I mean how in the world do you sell this to recruits?   There’s no proof of concept here with the offense. How do you sell a recruit on “if we just plug you in we’ll be better” when the entire offensive scheme is a dog eating turds and puking it back up?  

💲💲💰💰 

55 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

Well, it’s been sold to Walker White, plus two five stars and a bunch of four stars and more on the way. So it does seem like it’s working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I will say this; our defense is the only reason we've even been in these games and they've played their asses off while having a ton of injuries at key positions. And if it's to be believed, our DC Ron Roberts will be the first coach on the chopping block at seasons end.

Talk about some bass ackwards stuff. If any coaches job should be in jeopardy, it should start on the offensive side of the ball.

I’m not debating on which side of the ball played the best during any game this season because it’s obvious which one is playing better.    With that said, what did you think of the first series on defense?   It was about as pathetic as the offense was the entire game.   Inexcusable to allow a touchdown on that possession.   With the game tied 14-14 and trading 3 and outs by both teams, Auburn gives up consecutive touchdown drives, one of 90 yards.   Both teams were trading 3 and outs, so the excuse of being on the field too much can’t be the reason.   
Again, defense played way better than the offense but the offense is the worst offense in the conference.    

Auburn has a talent problem across the board on both sides of the ball, but Auburn also has a coaching issue somewhere.    Decision making, play calling, personnel usage and so on are dumbfounded.   Both of these things can happen at the same time, and when they do, you get what is happening on the field right now.    There is no confidence in either quarterback (by anyone…fans, coaches) and that’s problem uno.    The lack of confidence bleeds over into everything about a game plan and play calls.    Throw in poor play calling and less than ideal talent, you get what you are seeing.   

• Like 2

The talent gap is the biggest excuse in the world, and when we lose to Arkansas and/or Miss State, it will fall flat on it's face. Some of y'all would get peed on and call it rain. I forgot who I was arguing with but dared question whether we were more talented than Cal. That was the red flag right there...coaching can overcome a lack of talent in retrospect, and that is what I thought we were getting with Freeze.  I am very disappointed in the way he has carried himself this season.

1). The harping of how bad we are (WE GET IT, YOU GET PAID MILLIONS TO ADJUST ON THE FLY AND FIX IT)

2). Basically, handing over the offense (WHY? Now is not the time to experiment.)

3). Completely invested in recruiting and not gameplay (That would be great if we had a top-five class...we don't).

• Like 3

I'm a bit surprised Robbie is getting the Malik Willis with Gus treatment.  I hate rotating QBs, BUT if we do put Robbie in, why not run the entire offense.  I thought Hugh would be a bit more willing for him to throw consistently when in there instead of just running sweeps.  That's what Gus did with Malik, and Hugh let Malik pass lol.  Idk. 

When defense knows exactly what you are doing when Robbie is in the game, then there is really no point to rotating QBs. And Robbie should try to cut it upfield more.  I know he has his faults in the passing game, but at least he's more aggressive passing down field.  

Oh and I'm not upset over the double pass attempt.  The receiver was very close to clearing the defender but Ole Miss defender attacked Geriner the moment he got the ball.  Kudos to the OM defender for playing it the way he should and aggressively.  Geriner should have thrown it away, but maybe if he had a bit more in game action he makes that play.  Also with us being so close to FG range, we should have called something to position that FG better at a minimum.  Not a terrible play, just bad timing and execution. 

Edited by AUBwins

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Malik is the outlier. Who, by the way, has no idea how to play QB at the NFL level. 

This is the first time in Freeze's tenure he hasn't been able to take whatever QB he had and elevate his play into a well functioning offense.  

And there are 130+ FBS teams in the country and another however many FCS ones too.  There are 32 NFL teams.  You do the math.  He made Malik into an elite college QB at a fledgling FBS program when Gus couldn't make him look like he even belonged on an FBS roster.  Every year guys with much better resumes on paper at much more storied programs get to the NFL and find that college elite and NFL starter are two very different things.  Justin Fields anyone?  Mac Jones?  Jamarcus Russell?  Aaron Murray?  AJ McCarron?  Chad Kelly?  Danny Wuerffel?  Johnny Manziel?

This year is the outlier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'm a bit surprised Robbie is getting the Malik Willis with Gus treatment.  I hate rotating QBs, BUT if we do put Robbie in, why not run the entire offense.  I thought Hugh would be a bit more willing for him to throw consistently when in there instead of just running sweeps.  That's what Gus did with Malik, and Hugh let Malik pass lol.  Idk. 

When defense knows exactly what you are doing when Robbie is in the game, then there is really no point to rotating QBs. And Robbie should try to cut it upfield more.  I know he has his faults in the passing game, but at least he's more aggressive passing down field.  

Oh and I'm not upset over the double pass attempt.  The receiver was very close to clearing the defender but Ole Miss defender attacked Geriner the moment he got the ball.  Kudos to the OM defender for playing it the way he should and aggressively.  Geriner should have thrown it away, but maybe if he had a bit more in game action he makes that play.  Also with us being so close to FG range, we should have called something to position that FG better at a minimum.  Not a terrible play, just bad timing and execution. 

What have you seen from Robby when he passes that makes you believe running the whole offense is going to work and not result in a lot of errant throws, incompletions and interceptions?

• Like 2

Just now, TitanTiger said:

What have you seen from Robby when he passes that makes you believe running the whole offense is going to work and not result in a lot of errant throws, incompletions and interceptions?

Nothing this year because he hasn't been given a chance.  He had his moments last year.  He a gamer.  Yes, some bad comes with the good but he at least could keep defenses a bit more honest if he attempted to throw. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Nothing this year because he hasn't been given a chance.  He had his moments last year.  He a gamer.  Yes, some bad comes with the good but he at least could keep defenses a bit more honest if he attempted to throw. 

He only hit 49% of his passes and had 6.5 yards per attempt last year.  He's hitting exactly 50% and 5.6 ypa this year.  For those unfamiliar, those are both abysmal.  His moments came on the ground and the once in a blue moon where he'd hit a long pass.

There's no way to look at this QB situation and think, "Robby hasn't been given a chance."  He was given a chance when he got the benefit of offseason workouts and spring practice with the new staff and players before Thorne got here.  He's been given chances in games and still can't hit the broad side of a barn with any consistency.  His INT last night (which admittedly included a PI that wasn't called) he just chucked into double coverage when Freeze said on air the check down was available to get us into FG range before the half.

Folks need to get it through their heads - neither of these QBs, with this cast of WRs, can run a modern college offense.  If you want to trot Robby out there to run the offense Caddy bolted together the end of last year with minimal passing and such, fine.  But its ludicrous to keep believing that somehow Robby is suddenly going to be good at passing at this point.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He only hit 49% of his passes and had 6.5 yards per attempt last year.  He's hitting exactly 50% and 5.6 ypa this year.  For those unfamiliar, those are both abysmal.  His moments came on the ground and the once in a blue moon where he'd hit a long pass.

There's no way to look at this QB situation and think, "Robby hasn't been given a chance."  He was given a chance when he got the benefit of offseason workouts and spring practice with the new staff and players before Thorne got here.  He's been given chances in games and still can't hit the broad side of a barn with any consistency.  His INT last night (which admittedly included a PI that wasn't called) he just chucked into double coverage when Freeze said on air the check down was available to get us into FG range before the half.

Folks need to get it through their heads - neither of these QBs, with this cast of WRs, can run a modern college offense.  If you want to trot Robby out there to run the offense Caddy bolted together the end of last year with minimal passing and such, fine.  But its ludicrous to keep believing that somehow Robby is suddenly going to be good at passing at this point.

I never said he would be a savant at the QB position (although I did think he would have a good game yesterday), but sending him out there just to run is not working.  I am just saying with the cast we have, try to deceive the defense at least when he's out there.  

But you are right in the fact that maybe we should just change the offense to better use what we got.  If we are running 95%of the time, then we should use more run oriented formations and not shotgun all game.  I did like adding the flex in the backfield (or maybe it's called something else)  with adding a couple more lead blockers.  That found some success.  I know it's hard to change up in season.  Missed our chance during the bye week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

What do you like our staff has done on offense to help the players succeed?

Great question! 

This is where I'm struggling.  Okay, I get we are less talented, severely!  That doesn't mean you forget how to use the talent you do have. 

PT does best in a quick 3-step tempo game, we saw some of his accuracy on the last scoring drive. No matter the defense being played, PT was throwing dimes on the RPOs.   Where is any of that type of quick passing attack? 

Robbie needs to be a ZR, Short zone, rollout type QB.  He's best on the run. He's not good by any measure but he's still better on the run.  Where are the slides, sprint outs, boots where he has the option to run, placing the D in conflict.

We can be much better at putting our players in better positions. We have to. 

Rebuilds are hard and often ugly, but it's happening for a reason.  We didn't fire two mediocre coaches and instantly get better.  They were fired for a reason and we have to remedy that.  We are on step #14 of 1239 on our way to getting better. It's ugly, it's frustrating, it's inexplicable at times. That said, IMO, we're still in a better place moving forward than we've been in a long while. 

This morning the coaches woke, if they slept, and are trying to take step #15.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great question! 

This is where I'm struggling.  Okay, I get we are less talented, severely!  That doesn't mean you forget how to use the talent you do have. 

PT does best in a quick 3-step tempo game, we saw some of his accuracy on the last scoring drive. No matter the defense being played, PT was throwing dimes on the RPOs.   Where is any of that type of quick passing attack? 

Robbie needs to be a ZR, Short zone, rollout type QB.  He's best on the run. He's not good by any measure but he's still better on the run.  Where are the slides, sprint outs, boots where he has the option to run, placing the D in conflict.

We can be much better at putting our players in better positions. We have to. 

Rebuilds are hard and often ugly, but it's happening for a reason.  We didn't fire two mediocre coaches and instantly get better.  They were fired for a reason and we have to remedy that.  We are on step #14 of 1239 on our way to getting better. It's ugly, it's frustrating, it's inexplicable at times. That said, IMO, we're still in a better place moving forward than we've been in a long while. 

This morning the coaches woke, if they slept, and are trying to take step #15.  

At least we have a clinching ALCS game to look forward to tonight! :)